PDA

View Full Version : Steven Martens' Take on VENUS WILLIAMS en HINGIS

pigam
May 26th, 2006, 07:42 AM
Steven Marten: VTV headcoach

on HINGIS
"Can Hingis win this slam? I don't think so. I think she won Rome because some others had a bit of a let down. I do definetly see her beating a potential GSwinner. but, to win it herself, she would have to beat a couple of those potential winners in a row. And that's something i cannot see her doing"

on VENUS
"Venus has always been the Willimas sister with the biggest "hunger for tennis". So i don't see a problem there. But mentally, she was heavily challenged by the string of injuries. She has been injured more often end longer than Kim and Justine, and look at how much it affacted both of them. The fact that she didn't play that much shouldn't be a handicap. The Williams' have always played less matches than the rest. Where they played, they won. The crucial question is probably whether Venus has had a decent preparation"

so?
Rememeber, Steven isn't just anyone.
he coached Appelmans for years, he was fedCup coach for years, he was Davis Cup coach for years, he is now head of the VTV (flemish tennis association)

Buitenzorg
May 26th, 2006, 08:16 AM
lols :p

pigam
May 26th, 2006, 08:20 AM
lols :p
quoi? :p
He's quite gentle, no?

I found what he said quite surprising.
i thought he would have been "harder" on venus and "more confident" in martina.
o focurse, he can definetly be wrong... we'll see ;)

Buitenzorg
May 26th, 2006, 08:22 AM
What happen with AUS Open 2006 MIXED Doubles CROWN for HINGIS? :lol:

Buitenzorg
May 26th, 2006, 08:22 AM
I thought it was also counted as GS title as well! :rolleyes: obviously not! :p

pigam
May 26th, 2006, 08:24 AM
well, it great that she won, but it is something totally different than winning a GS in singles, right?
For the record, I don't want to make this into a anti hingis thread :eek: :cuckoo:

dinhd82
May 26th, 2006, 09:09 AM
I don't know who he is, therefore I don't really care.

Melusine
May 26th, 2006, 09:24 AM
In Belgium Kim's RG and Wimbledon titles with Ai are not counted as GS titles, so don't expect a non-Belgian's title to be counted as such :p

PLP
May 26th, 2006, 09:35 AM
How odd...Winning a grand slam is a grand slam...it doesn't matter if it's in doubles or mixed...Is this something that's lost in the translation?? Obviously winning Wimbledon in mixed isn't a GS singles title, it's a GS mixed title...What's the confusion??

tfannis
May 26th, 2006, 09:56 AM
How odd...Winning a grand slam is a grand slam...it doesn't matter if it's in doubles or mixed...Is this something that's lost in the translation?? Obviously winning Wimbledon in mixed isn't a GS singles title, it's a GS mixed title...What's the confusion??

Obviously, winning a doubles or mixed crown is far less prestigious than winning a single's crown :shrug: Otherwise Kim would not have been "the best player who never won a slam" untill the fall of last year, cause she won two in 2003 ;)

ans
May 26th, 2006, 10:24 AM
I agree completely with what he says, actually.

He also thinks Justine and Nadal will be the winners of the French Open.

tfannis
May 26th, 2006, 10:26 AM
I agree completely with what he says, actually.

He also thinks Justine and Nadal will be the winners of the French Open.

Well, that's not a brave prediction, is it ;)

ans
May 26th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Well, that's not a brave prediction, is it ;)

No, but I'd pick the same 2:p
Why making a brave prediction that's prolly going to be incorrect?;)

mila_mail
May 26th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Just hope Venus can do well in RG!