PDA

View Full Version : Will Hingis Be At The Sacre Coeur Praying Tonight? :devil:

pierce0415
May 26th, 2006, 12:26 AM
In 1999 Martina visited the Sacre Coeur cathedral before Roland Garros to pray Venus / Serena would not be in her part of the draw. Do you think she is there again tonight ???

LeRoy.
May 26th, 2006, 12:31 AM
how do you know what she prayed for ? :confused:

pierce0415
May 26th, 2006, 12:32 AM
how do you know what she prayed for ? :confused:

she said it in one of her interviews

Sam L
May 26th, 2006, 12:32 AM
If she were there, she'd be praying to meet Serena Williams in the finals. :lol:

PLP
May 26th, 2006, 02:28 AM
No, she said that she would be going to Paris on Friday...though I am sure there are certain players she is hoping not to meet...Mauresmo in the RD16 for instance>P

Zauber
May 26th, 2006, 02:50 AM
she would love to see Serena in her part of the draw.
So would all seated players.
Venus is another story.
I wish people wouls separate the two.
They are leagues apart at the moment.

hablo
May 26th, 2006, 03:15 AM
In 1999 Martina visited the Sacre Coeur cathedral before Roland Garros to pray Venus / Serena would not be in her part of the draw. Do you think she is there again tonight ???
:spit:

Sally Struthers
May 26th, 2006, 03:40 AM
Martina needs to visit another cathedral cuz that one clearly hasn't worked for her in the past :lol:

Stamp Paid
May 26th, 2006, 04:13 AM
If she were there, she'd be praying to meet Serena Williams in the finals. :lol:

If Serena Williams was playing well enough to make it to the finals of Roland Garros, she would be the LAST person Martina Hingis would want to meet. :lol:

faboozadoo15
May 26th, 2006, 04:15 AM
If Serena Williams was playing well enough to make it to the finals of Roland Garros, she would be the LAST person Martina Hingis would want to meet. :lol:
at roland garros? i'm sure hignis would rather face her than steffi, seles, justine........

MistyGrey
May 26th, 2006, 04:31 AM
Martina needs to visit another cathedral cuz that one clearly hasn't worked for her in the past :lol:
It actually did work for her in 1999. she was drawn to play Venus in the quarters and Serena in the semis. Venus lost to Barbara Schwartz in the 4th round and Serena lost to Mary Joe Fernandez in the 3rd. She lit a candle that year :lol:

CanIGetAWhat
May 26th, 2006, 04:40 AM
how do you know what she prayed for ? :confused:Can't find the interview, but here's an article...

On the mend: Graf advances to finals in French Open

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, The (http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4196)

, Jun 4, 1999 (http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4196/is_19990604) by ROBIN FINN, The Associated Press contributed to this (http://www.findarticles.com/p/search?tb=art&qt=%22ROBIN+FINN%2C+The+Associated+Press+contribut ed+to+this%22)

Anybody else would be in traction by now, or resting on her collection of Grand Slam laurels.

But Steffi Graf, with her aching spine and 29-year-old legs banished to the background while a 22nd career Grand Slam singles title comes ever closer, has never been one to take a shortcut when there is a more treacherous route available.

And no Grand Slam tournament presents a greater test of nerve and verve than Roland Garros, where every match has marathon potential. Those who flinch when clay grit gets in their eyes and under their skin, as happened to Graf on this windy day, should battle elsewhere. Graf, a five-time French Open champion who won this title in 1996 but didn't play here last year because of knee surgery, stormed into the final with a 6-7 (2-7), 6-3, 6-4 comeback against Monica Seles, the player who defeated her for the 1992 title. The 25-year-old Seles couldn't quite match Graf's gumption on the critical points of their 1-hour-56-minute semifinal Thursday. "I was able to take the risks I needed to, especially in the end of the third set," said Graf, whose backhand slices slithered over the net so low that Seles needed to kneel like a supplicant to field them. "After match point, it was extreme joy," the German said about the instant when Seles buried a backhand return in the net, a mistake that delivered Graf to her first Grand Slam final since she collected the 1996 U.S. Open. "It's great after a few years to be in a final; it's something I really did not believe that I'd be able to do when I got here." In the final Saturday, Graf will wield a 6-2 record against top-ranked Martina Hingis, a player who never doubted she would reach the final here, the only Grand Slam to elude her grasp so far. The 18-year-old Hingis lit herself a candle at Sacre Coeur before this event began and Thursday, after humbling its defending champion, Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario, 6-3, 6-2, she said she would not return to the cathedral again until this title belongs to her. "I will go after and say, `Thank God,' if I win," Hingis said of her celebration plans. "If I lose, no." She doesn't lose often when Grand Slam titles are at stake. In 1997, when she was just 16, Hingis won all three other Grand Slams but fell one victory short of a sweep when she fell to Iva Majoli in the final here. In men's play today, meanwhile, four unlikely players make up the semifinalists. Andre Agassi, the only seeded player left in the men's event, faces Dominik Hrbaty, and Andrei Medvedev takes on Fernando Meligeni. Agassi, 29, is closing in on the record books. A championship victory here would make him only the fifth man to win all four Grand Slams, and the first since Rod Laver in 1969.

Copyright 1999
Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning Company. All rights Reserved.

Stamp Paid
May 26th, 2006, 04:42 AM
at roland garros? i'm sure hignis would rather face her than steffi, seles, justine........

Of actual active players, I guess I hould have said.

barmaid
May 26th, 2006, 05:00 AM
she would love to see Serena in her part of the draw.
So would all seated players.
Venus is another story.
I wish people wouls separate the two.
They are leagues apart at the moment.

Exactly! All the novenas in the world isn't going to bring Serena back into the picture although she'd love to have her in the first round:devil: ...and like you said...Venus is another story but great rivalry....it would be a wonderful final!
I hardly think Martina did too much praying in 1999 (but as it turned out...she should have:angel: ) just visiting an historic religious site!:worship:

barmaid:wavey:

No.1Hingis
May 26th, 2006, 05:42 AM
Maybe.. there are both praying .. shoulder to shoulder..

Shame.. stages are differents for each one.. just think about it (Just figure out the rest).. and let it go..