PDA

View Full Version : Who are the most dangerous 'floaters'?

LH2HBH
May 25th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Who are the most dangerous floaters? i.e. unseeded players you would not want to meet early in the tournament

My votes go to

Gisela Dulko [could still get a seeding]
Jelena Jankovic
Sania Mirza
Na Li
Jhie Zheng
Anna Smashnova
Iveta Benesova

faboozadoo15
May 25th, 2006, 09:03 PM
jankovic seems to be hitting form, and the chinese players seem to be getting it together too.

ViennaCalling
May 25th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Sybille Bammer? I have no idea! :o

Chris 84
May 25th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Sadly, Gisela is in very poor form, Sania is no good on clay and Iveta has had a terrible year since the AO, so I'd have thought that most seeds wouldn't mind facing those players at all.

I'd have thought that Mara Santangelo, Meghann Shaughnessy and Catalina Castano are three players who have had good results lately and will be a threat to many of the seeded players.

Jakeev
May 25th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Shahar Peer could be a major floater this year.

Chris 84
May 25th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Shahar Peer could be a major floater this year.

Peer will be seeded ;)

LH2HBH
May 25th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Sadly, Gisela is in very poor form, Sania is no good on clay and Iveta has had a terrible year since the AO, so I'd have thought that most seeds wouldn't mind facing those players at all.

I'd have thought that Mara Santangelo, Meghann Shaughnessy and Catalina Castano are three players who have had good results lately and will be a threat to many of the seeded players.

You could very well be right, I don't know a lot of the players below the 32 mark so i thought I would see what others thought. If there are any more withdrawals, eg. mary then Iveta will be seeded as well.

WhatTheDeuce
May 25th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Nice choices. I'd add:

Karolina Sprem
Catalina Castano
Vera Zvonareva
Meghann Shaughnessy
Samantha Stosur
Emilie Loit

No Name Face
May 25th, 2006, 10:15 PM
probably Vera if she doesn't flood the court with her tears

IceHock
May 25th, 2006, 10:17 PM
well if oprandi gets through qualies,id watch out for her.

WhatTheDeuce
May 25th, 2006, 10:17 PM
probably Vera if she doesn't flood the court with her tears
LOL.

Vera :crying2: :bigcry: :sobbing:

-sugi-
May 25th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Li Na, possibly Bammer, Oprandi, erm.... Shuai Peng,

pcrtennis
May 25th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Shuai Peng
Na Li

leviathane
May 25th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Shuai Peng
Na Li

definitly Romano Oprandi, the chinese team and a french girl :rolleyes: why not aravane rezai ?

iPatty
May 25th, 2006, 11:09 PM
I think Peng will be looking to make waves. Her week at Strasbourg is exactly what she needs right before a Slam.

Corswandt
May 25th, 2006, 11:27 PM
well if oprandi gets through qualies,id watch out for her.

Agreed.

Babolatpro880
May 25th, 2006, 11:39 PM
I'd say Oprandi, Zheng, Peng, Li, Jankovic, maybe Shaughnessy, if Sprem hits a spot of form, which she might have done reaching the quarters at Strasbourg, she could be a threat, and I agree with Stosur as a choice, since she reached the Prague final and seems to be able to win matches outside Australia nowadays.

dylan24
May 26th, 2006, 12:13 AM
Who are the most dangerous floaters? i.e. unseeded players you would not want to meet early in the tournament

My votes go to

Gisela Dulko [could still get a seeding]
Jelena Jankovic
Sania Mirza
Na Li
Jhie Zheng
Anna Smashnova
Iveta Benesova

dulko? she sucks.
jankovic..she's playing better finally.
mirza..sucks on clay.
na li ..should do well
zheng..should do well
smashanova will do well
benesova sucks

cartmancop
May 26th, 2006, 12:20 AM
I think Oprandi is pretty much assured a spot in the draw sinces she's #1 in the Qualies in the last round & somebody ALWAYS pulls out, so I feel I can safely say her...

If Na Li gets a good draw, she could do big things.

& Shaughnessy is coming off of a title so she must be doing something right :)

Hachiko
May 26th, 2006, 12:23 AM
Iveta is injured so I don't see her doing too greatly in Paris.

Rtael
May 26th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Pretty much what everyone else said...Sprem, Na Li, Oprandi, Shaughnessy, Castano...

Rtael
May 26th, 2006, 12:26 AM
Also maybe Molik...clay has never been her best surface and she's coming back from a long lay-off, but we know she has the talent, so she could pull off an upset somewhere if she can get her form together quickly enough.

Eldoth Kron
May 26th, 2006, 12:27 AM
justine henin

WhatTheDeuce
May 26th, 2006, 12:28 AM
justine henin
:retard:

new-york
May 26th, 2006, 12:28 AM
Romina Oprandi, she showed some things in Rome...let's see.
Jelena seems to be in form after that horrendous beggining of 2006.
Chinese Na Li, Jie Zheng & Shuai.
Shahar Peer, maybe.

janko
May 26th, 2006, 12:37 AM
all chinese girls

a few girls from qualifying if they can reach the main draw (Oprandi, Azarenka, Szavay, Hradecka, Rezai :) )

Loit
Peschke
Santangelo
Vesnina
Jankovic
Dominguez Lino
Castano
Morigami
Schruff
Muller
Sucha

maybe a french wild card (would like Cornet or Vedy :drool: )

certainly not american girls...

xcrtbckhnd
May 26th, 2006, 12:40 AM
Agree with a lot of the choices. I'd add potential qualifiers Vika Azarenka, Agnes Szavay (needs to beat Rezai), and Julia Vakulenko (needs to beat Oprandi though). Also Michaella Krajicek.

Ty-Ty
May 26th, 2006, 12:44 AM
Jankovic and Li for sure. Shaugnessy and Castano too. And Smashnova, Peng, and Zheng, IMO. Only seven that actually stand a chance at beating the top seeds. Oh, and Vera too.

UDACHi
May 26th, 2006, 12:50 AM
Ivanovic, Jankovic, Peer, Li, Peng, Safarova.

SzavayFi
May 26th, 2006, 12:52 AM
justine henin
:smash:

Derek.
May 26th, 2006, 12:53 AM
Ivanovic, Jankovic, Peer, Li, Peng, Safarova.

Some of those are seeded so they don't count. :angel:

RJWCapriati
May 26th, 2006, 12:56 AM
Jankovic, Smashnova, Peer, Li, Zeng, Peng

Derek.
Jankovic
The Chinese gals
Shaughnessy
Castano
Zvonareva if she has her head together
Oprandi
Sprem
Azarenka

UDACHi
Oh, I missed the seeded part.

Unseeded Chinese girls, Jankovic, assorted dirtballers (Dulko, Castano, etc.)

partbrit
May 26th, 2006, 01:13 AM
My picks would be Sprem (looked really good in Charleston), Zvonareva, Castano, and Shaughnessy.

charmedRic
May 26th, 2006, 03:20 AM
I think Oprandi is pretty much assured a spot in the draw sinces she's #1 in the Qualies in the last round & somebody ALWAYS pulls out, so I feel I can safely say her...

If Na Li gets a good draw, she could do big things.

& Shaughnessy is coming off of a title so she must be doing something right :)

Indeed.

¤CharlDa¤
May 26th, 2006, 03:29 AM
Hum ok lol.

Shaughnessy, Stosur, Castano, Jie, Na, Sprem, Santangelo, Loit, Craybas (who knows, she can have some good GS results), Krajicek (playing great this week), Domachowska (always dangerous when on), Schruff, Razzano (performs well in RG), Jamea Jackson (bad form recently, but she can play on clay)

pcrtennis
May 26th, 2006, 03:53 AM
Akiko Morigami!

darrinbaker00
May 26th, 2006, 03:59 AM
If you had asked this question in January, everybody here would have said Martina Hingis, Martina Hingis and, for good measure, Martina Hingis. In five months, the Swiss Miss has gone from floater to favorite. Man, I hate her!

Cat's Pajamas
May 26th, 2006, 04:03 AM
Also maybe Molik...clay has never been her best surface and she's coming back from a long lay-off, but we know she has the talent, so she could pull off an upset somewhere if she can get her form together quickly enough.

I'm sorry but I will have to thouroughly dissagree with you on this. Molik has a game suite for fast surfaces, on clay it is less effective. Second of all, getting taken to three sets by Dellacqua and Ferguson who are not top 100 players is not a good indication of current form. Right now she is still very rusty so I give her like 10% chance of advancing to round 2. Maybe if she gets someone inconfident right now like Zvonareva or Benesova she might be able to get through but for now, not likely :wavey:

Rtael
May 26th, 2006, 04:15 AM
It might have taken her three sets to beat Dellacqua (sp?) but a couple weeks ago she lost to her, on a fast surface (I think), so I think she is finding her game very quickly and anything is possible for her!

Rtael
May 26th, 2006, 04:16 AM
Uhh...well...not anything...but taking out a seed anyway.

Hayato
May 26th, 2006, 04:18 AM
Cata Castano of course!

Cat's Pajamas
May 26th, 2006, 04:20 AM
Clarisa Fernandez is moving along nicely in the qualies and she's a past semifinalist so I guess she's not someone you would wanna face first round :shrug:

tterb
May 26th, 2006, 04:44 AM
Clearly Camille Pin is the most dangerous floater in the draw... :p

Seriously: Jankovic, Na Li, Zheng, Shaughnessy, and Loit are who I'd be most worried about. You also can't ever count out Castano (who's had a solid year) or Smashnova on clay. If Zvonareva gets her head together, she's easily the most dangerous floater in the draw. Stosur and Krajicek aren't known for clay prowess, but both are very talented and have had some decent clay results recently. I'd also look out for Razzano, who's streaky but has a home crowd and some decent runs here in the past.

If we're looking at qualifying, Clarisa Fernandez is a past semifinalist, and Oprandi just had a breakout tournament in Rome. Flipkens is quite talented, as is Strycova. Vakulenko is the definition of inconsistent, but she's potentially dangerous. Rezai impressed me last year, and she'll also have the home crowd behind her.

Also, I doubt she could pull the same kind of performance from out of nowhere again, but anyone remember Beygelzimer's tight three-setter against Capriati at RG 2004?

selyoink
May 26th, 2006, 04:56 AM
Na Li, Jie Zheng, Mara Santangelo, Vera Zvonareva, and Meghann Shaughnessy