PDA

View Full Version : All eyes on Hingis at Roland Garros

selecta
May 25th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Despite being the only Major she has never won, Martina Hingis heads to the French Open as one of the odds makers' favorites, to say nothing of the fans, following her triumph last weekend on the red clay of Rome. Hingis, once the undisputed Queen of the women's game, is a 6-1 bet to take the women's title in her first appearance in five years. On the men's side, Rafael Nadal, the heavy 5-7 favorite, takes his record breaking clay court winning streak to Paris as he attempts to defend his crown.

The US contingent at this year's event is among the worst in recent memory. Top US stars Andy Roddick and Venus Williams are both struggling physically and are not in top form. Without any realistic chance to see an American raise a trophy after the tournament's fortnight, most fans will be tracking the progress of Hingis and Nadal.

Both face some stiff competition with defending women's champion Justine Henin-Hardenne a 2-1 favorite to win the event again in 2006. Also providing a challenge will be Kim Clijsters and up-and-comer Nadia Petrova, both listed at 5-1. Amelie Mauresmo is a 6-1 bet as she looks to become the first French woman to win the event since Mary Pierce in 2000.

selecta
May 25th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Amelie Mauresmo, Nadia Petrova and Martina Hingis were unlikely to have been at the top of anyone's list of likely French Open champions six months ago.

Mauresmo was a perennial underachiever at the grand slams, Petrova floated on the women's tour as the forgotten Russian and Hingis had barely competed on a tennis court in three years.

Yet when the Roland Garros gates are thrown open on Sunday for the season's second grand slam, the trio will be among five players the rest of the 128-strong field will want to avoid running into. The other two being Belgians Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin-Hardenne, the defending champion.
HAPPY HINGIS

Hingis has been the story of 2006. Since confirming her full-time return in December from a self-imposed three-year exile, she has clambered up the rankings at a furious pace.

Victory in the Rome final cemented her place as one of the serious challengers for the Roland Garros crown and the world number 14 is eager to win the only grand slam title that slipped through her grasp during the first phase of her career.

The 1997 and 1999 runner-up is happy with her role as underdog.

"The pressure is on them, it's not on me, and now with winning this event I know that I can do it again. I know I'm very close."

In 2005 a merciless Henin-Hardenne took just 62 minutes to pummel Mary Pierce into a 6-1 6-1 submission in the final, capturing her fourth major trophy.

The win capped an undefeated 24-match streak during the grueling claycourt season.

Second-ranked Clijsters is no big fan of clay but has been runner-up in Paris twice.

Like Henin-Hardenne, the
U.S. Open champion has had her share of injury problems but is now raring to go.

"Nothing is stopping me from going out a hundred percent, that's the most important thing," she said. "Nothing is restricting me from playing, so that's a great feeling to have."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060525/sp_nm/tennis_open_women_dc_3

Paneru
May 25th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Good!

Underestimate Venus! :cool:

alfonsojose
May 25th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Where is Venus :shrug: ? QF in Warsaw and SF in Rome isn't bad

No.1Hingis
May 25th, 2006, 09:49 PM

I agree!!

In RG website ... Martina and Venus shows as underdogs out top ten favourites to get the tittle.. and yeah! Venus results are not so bad..

selecta
May 26th, 2006, 07:15 AM

she's not ready to win a grand slam

dinhd82
May 26th, 2006, 07:17 AM
Vee wasn't ready to win Wimby last year either but looked what happened! lolz Well if Vee is going to go out, it should be the early rounds, after that it could be tough for anyone to beat her. Same goes for Juju and Kim.

Maryamator
May 26th, 2006, 08:31 AM
I agree!!

In RG website ... Martina and Venus shows as underdogs out top ten favourites to get the tittle.. and yeah! Venus results are not so bad..
venus' results are actually pretty good in my opinion and they are going to get better too i hope

switz
May 26th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Patty must be a big favourite as well. Sure she's in terrible form and has no mental strength but it's just seems inevitable that she will win this slam doesn't it. Yeah i think so. Me too!!! Shut up, i not crazy :mad:

Buitenzorg
May 26th, 2006, 09:15 AM
HINGIS :kiss: