PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Championships; Suzi Babos claims title!

bis2806
May 25th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Draw/Singles Results from Final:
Suzi Babos, California def. Lindsey Nelson, S. California, 6-4, 6-1

Draw/Doubles Results from Final:
In Progress: Cristelle Grier/Alexis Prousis, Northwestern vs. vs. Lucia Sainz/Katharina Winterhalter(5-8), Fresno St.

bis2806
May 25th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Updated :)

darrinbaker00
May 26th, 2006, 02:54 AM
GO SUZI BABOS!! GO BEARS!! :bounce: :bounce:

Jakeev
May 26th, 2006, 03:52 AM
Go Lindsay Nelson!!!!!! Come on girl you got a good chance against Audra.......go for it!!!:kiss:

bis2806
May 26th, 2006, 03:58 AM
On a different note, the top seed Yelsey/Barnes beat the Alabama Team Bentley/Stephenson in a tight three setter. They made one of the girls cry because they were TWO games away from winning against the Stanford team in straight sets.

tucker1989
May 26th, 2006, 04:04 AM
bis, you seem to know so much about college tennis. Do you know why Shadisha Robinson was suspended from the Georgia team?

Jakeev
May 26th, 2006, 04:07 AM
bis, you seem to know so much about college tennis. Do you know why Shadisha Robinson was suspended from the Georgia team?

Well the official reason was because she "failed to adhere to team rules" but they didn't quite specify what that all meant.

tucker1989
May 26th, 2006, 04:09 AM
Well the official reason was because she "failed to adhere to team rules" but they didn't quite specify what that all meant.

Yeah, I read the article, very vague. I was wondering if anyone had any inside scoop ;)

urklerlay
May 26th, 2006, 04:11 AM
My advice to anyone who reads this: if you every have a chance to go to the NCAA Tennis Championships....GO! This was my first opportunity to attend and I have to admit, it was one of the first times I would rather be in the stands than working the sidelines. The atmosphere is absolutely electric!

I have witnessed a lot of tennis the last couple of years, US Open, Pacific Life Open, Bank of the West, and the SAP, but this tournament by far had the most energy. Fans were clapping, screaming and yelling at the top of their lungs! Players were yelling and screaming!

Below are some photos of Stanford's Super Senior Duo of Amber Liu and Alice Barnes. More pix at: http://www.pbase.com/nomalt/college_tennis
And just click on the 2006 NCAA Championships link.

I'll have more updates to the photos as the days go on...

http://www.pbase.com/nomalt/image/60776811.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/nomalt/image/60773433.jpg

rseto
May 26th, 2006, 04:20 AM
for those of you interested in the NCAAs, you can actually watch the matches on the internet. Stanford has set up stationary cameras on six of the courts.

http://gostanford.cstv.com/livestats/tennis/StanfordTennis.html

the quality isn't the best but it's good enough to tell what happened on each point.

bis2806
May 26th, 2006, 04:32 AM

I only very well know girls that play for Stanford and Virginia :p

bis2806
May 26th, 2006, 04:38 AM
My advice to anyone who reads this: if you every have a chance to go to the NCAA Tennis Championships....GO! This was my first opportunity to attend and I have to admit, it was one of the first times I would rather be in the stands than working the sidelines. The atmosphere is absolutely electric!

I have witnessed a lot of tennis the last couple of years, US Open, Pacific Life Open, Bank of the West, and the SAP, but this tournament by far had the most energy. Fans were clapping, screaming and yelling at the top of their lungs! Players were yelling and screaming!

Below are some photos of Stanford's Super Senior Duo of Amber Liu and Alice Barnes. More pix at: http://www.pbase.com/nomalt/college_tennis
And just click on the 2006 NCAA Championships link.

I'll have more updates to the photos as the days go on...

http://www.pbase.com/nomalt/image/60776811.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/nomalt/image/60773433.jpg

Yay Skippy :) (Amber's nickname) Urkerlay, do you work as a photographer?

tucker1989
May 26th, 2006, 01:00 PM
I only very well know girls that play for Stanford and Virginia :p

Cool, Amanda Rales, from Virginia, is one of by best friend's cousin :D

bis2806
May 26th, 2006, 02:12 PM
It would be great if she will have won it three times. She faces Riza next and it definitely is going to be a tough road ahead.

urklerlay
May 26th, 2006, 02:46 PM
bis2806 - are you there watching or just keeping close track of the action on the web?

tennis_pIayer
May 26th, 2006, 03:12 PM
let's see if my predictions are better than 50%

Nelson over Audra Cohen(1),
Cerna over Celia Durkin, Stanford

Tatsiana Uvarova, VCU over Bercek. it's a draw. but Uvarova is really good.
Moulton levy over Alice Barnes(7), Stanford

BOTTOM HALF:
Amber Liu (8), Stanford over Zalameda 2 sets.
Zemenova over Suzi Babos, California 3 sets

Amanda Fink(6) over Theresa Logar(9-16), 2 sets!
Miller over Cristelle Grier(9-16) 3 sets.

bis2806
May 26th, 2006, 05:35 PM
urkerlay, I am watching it on the web actually. Riza and Amber are playing now!!!! So go to www.gostanford.com (http://www.gostanford.com) to watch it live. I also know some of these girls personally so that's why I get all the info.

tennis_pIayer
May 26th, 2006, 07:53 PM
liu lost 5-7 in 3rd. zalameda played a lot of good pts to fight off bp....she's got good variety.

urklerlay
May 26th, 2006, 08:02 PM
liu and barnes both out on the same day....too bad. That's okay, they both had outstanding careers at Stanford.

bis2806
May 26th, 2006, 08:10 PM
liu lost 5-7 in 3rd. zalameda played a lot of good pts to fight off bp....she's got good variety.

The video link keeps fucking up and I couldn't even watch the second and third sets :( Did anyone experience this problem?

Ahh... Amber was just one game away from winning and i guess the W&M players really attacked alice's slice backhands :sad: Cohen is about to be defeated too!

tennis_pIayer
May 26th, 2006, 08:20 PM
alice barnes was not into the match somehow. she usuly makes no errors.,and it was so funny to see the WM player (who is 5'0'') outhustling alice and pushing her around (who is 5'9'' and more powerful)

amber just played safe boring tennis, hoping riza woulud choke but rZ kept attacking and coming to net, using her slices and moving amber w/ her bomb forehands.

Kutuzova
May 26th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Riza is very talented. I would love to see her go the whole way. She really bombs that forehand for being only 5'4

tennis_pIayer
May 26th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Biz since u know amber tell her to work on her forehands and her slices. most importantly, tell her to work out her legs and actually get some muscle.

bis2806
May 26th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Lol I can't tell Amber what to do.. I think she and coach Forood know best what things she needs to work on. But I don't think she played that aggressive today anyway. I've watched Riza play doubles with Osterloh in Stanford qualifying in 2004. Riza has a really good forehand. She got whopped by Wynne Prakusya of Indonesia in SEA games not long ago though :p I still don't get how Alice lost :confused: Did you also experience troubles watching Amber and Alice on the net? My link kept breaking....

bis2806
May 26th, 2006, 08:30 PM
I'm watching Cohen and Nelson now!!!! It's like watching Conchita Martinez play Virginie Razanno!!! :lol:

auntie janie
May 26th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Way to go, Megan! :banana:

Ty-Ty
May 26th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Wow. This is better than most WTA tournaments live feed. lawlz.

bis2806
May 26th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Wow. This is better than most WTA tournaments live feed. lawlz.

Court 1, where Cohen and Nelson are now playing, was the court Lindsay defeated Venus on during Bank of the West Classic final in 2004 at Stanford.

Jeff
May 26th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Cohen is fighting back...i thought she was out of the match.

tennis_pIayer
May 26th, 2006, 08:51 PM
YOUR 2005 NCAA champion..... TATSIANA UVAROVA

just last year, she had a ranking of 200 on the WTA tour. she should even be allowed to play in college.

tennis_pIayer
May 26th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Nelson (monica seles) really choked that match away.

Ty-Ty
May 26th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Court 1, where Cohen and Nelson are now playing, was the court Lindsay defeated Venus on during Bank of the West Classic final in 2004 at Stanford.

Why didn't they have a live feed for that?? :confused: Or did they?

Eh. Whatevers. This tennis shall occupy my day now. :bounce:

bis2806
May 26th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Why didn't they have a live feed for that?? :confused: Or did they?

Eh. Whatevers. This tennis shall occupy my day now. :bounce:

I actually only bothered to click on these live video links when it was really clear to me they existed. It was embedded in the Stanford Athletics site in the tennis section, so it never really came across my mind. But it definitely was shown on ESPN 2 while I was watching that match right in the stands :)

tennis_pIayer
May 26th, 2006, 08:58 PM
uvarova is not even on the same level as the #3 player in the contry, who she is routine-ing.

croat123
May 26th, 2006, 09:07 PM
zalameda deserved the win. she was the more agressive of the two and you could see that she really wanted it. liu was too tight on some big points

Ty-Ty
May 26th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Has anyone else noticed how damn windy it is? :eek: That must be joy to play in.

SelesFan70
May 26th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Has anyone else noticed how damn windy it is? :eek: That must be joy to play in.

I love playing in the wind! Really, I do! :lol:

Ty-Ty
May 26th, 2006, 09:19 PM
I love playing in the wind! Really, I do! :lol:

:lol: You probably wouldn't like playing in the wind where I come from. The last time I played in the wind, it was topping 50 MPH! :tape:

tucker1989
May 26th, 2006, 09:22 PM
I love Nelson, her game is great and she has awesome intensity!

tennis_pIayer
May 26th, 2006, 09:32 PM
she's got some goood groundies, but her serve needs a lot of work. she plays better against ppl who hit w/ some good pace

tennis_pIayer
May 26th, 2006, 09:35 PM
yo guys, check out court #5, my schools (USC) #2 player. FINK. its the rebirth of patty schnyder.

Ty-Ty
May 26th, 2006, 09:40 PM
LMFAO. That dance that Nelson did after she shook hands with the ump was classic.

Congrats.

tennis_pIayer
May 26th, 2006, 09:40 PM
wow. lindsey should've won it in the 2nd, but finally did it in the 3rd. she was real brave on her final service game....nelson = seles. fink = schynder

btw, nelson is not a bad player if she improved her movement and got a better serve. for ex, last 2 years at la costa, she took martina sucha and shika uberoi to 3 sets. her and her dubs partner also SERVED FOR THE STRAIGHT SET WIN OVER DEMENTIEVA/GOLOVIN last yr. dementieva afterwards thought she was a pro.

bis2806
May 26th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Nelson to me is like razzano :lol: oh well it's coz i haven't seen monica play in a long time but I do see the resemblance anyway :)

bis2806
May 26th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Any news on Logar?

Monica_Rules
May 26th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Alice:rolleyes: I've seen Moulton-Levy play and shes rubish:o

tucker1989
May 26th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Logar won the first set 6-0 before my feed went out

bis2806
May 26th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Theresa is kicking Fink's butt :p they're both left-handers.

tennis_pIayer
May 26th, 2006, 10:20 PM
sad. fink doesn't have any ooomph today and logar is on a mission to destroy

bis2806
May 26th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Logar nearly lost yesterday, and she's so lucky to be here in the 3rd round. She's runs for every ball though and fights hard!

tennis_pIayer
May 26th, 2006, 10:35 PM
well fink just had the worst loss of her college career. but still national top 10 and rookie of the year isn't bad for first season.

bis2806
May 26th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Barnes/Yelsey are in a losing position again! They're trailing by a set and is tied at 3 all now against the TCU team.

urklerlay
May 27th, 2006, 02:33 AM
Great comeback by Barnes/Yelsey...again! That TCU pair are tough! I don't know about today, but late last week they had no trouble attacking Yelsey's second serve and hitting right toward Barnes at the net.

Great sign that Logar and Durkin are still in the tourney since they are the future of Stanford tennis. Logar is a fighter...she seems to never ever want to lose even a single point.

Bis2806 - Why did Durkin/Liu w/draw from dubs?

bis2806
May 27th, 2006, 02:40 AM
Ummm I am not sure what happened to Celia and Amber. Perhaps I will talk to Theresa about it tomorrow. I just talked to Theresa today and she agreed that, "she [Fink] reminds everyone of her [Patty]."

Jakeev
May 27th, 2006, 03:03 AM
GO LINDSAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce:

tennis_pIayer
May 27th, 2006, 03:13 AM
Here's the lineups for next year's pac10 schools

Stanford SC Cal UCLA
Logar Nelson Henke Zalameda
Yelsey Fink Fodor LIn
Durkin Fansler Babos Schnack
Deason Matias Kusano McGoodwin
Nguyen Anastasiu Ravolojana Joelson
Burdette Smekdoub/Devera Ilcinkas Lumpkin

It looks like it'll be real tight next year....all 4 of these teams should be in top 10. (well except maybe ucla)

Ty-Ty
May 27th, 2006, 03:17 AM
Them Maryland doubles team wasted three break points in that last game. That sucks.

Thanks bis2086 for pointing all this out. I never would've thought this even existed.

tennis_pIayer
May 27th, 2006, 03:18 AM
QFs are nelson vs durkin, uvarova vs moluton, zalameda vs babos, logar vs miller

I was not too good w/ today's picks going 4/8.. but i did pick the upsets (nelson, uvarova, moulton).

TOmorrow's picks!!!

Nelson
Uvarova
Babos
Logar

In my heart, i hope moulton upsets uvarova b/c i think nelson matches up better w/ the short counterpuncher than uvarova who is like too powerful to play w/ these college girls.

bis2806
May 27th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Is Uvarova really that good? Did she play at the NCAAs last year?

LefandePatty
May 27th, 2006, 08:49 AM
when will the matchs start ?

Jakeev
May 27th, 2006, 09:00 AM
QFs are nelson vs durkin, uvarova vs moluton, zalameda vs babos, logar vs miller

I was not too good w/ today's picks going 4/8.. but i did pick the upsets (nelson, uvarova, moulton).

TOmorrow's picks!!!

Nelson
Uvarova
Babos
Logar

In my heart, i hope moulton upsets uvarova b/c i think nelson matches up better w/ the short counterpuncher than uvarova who is like too powerful to play w/ these college girls.

Nelson has a great shot at Celia. Don't think they have played each other since the juniors and I think Lindsay has a few wins over her. Love to see a Nelson/Zalameda final. They had some serious battles in the juniors and last year as freshmen.

bis2806
May 27th, 2006, 05:07 PM
when will the matchs start ?

Noon in California, so 3 pm EST

ZAK
May 27th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Is Uvarova really that good? Did she play at the NCAAs last year?

I don't know about NCAAs but she has been to around 220 in the pro rankings

tennis_pIayer
May 27th, 2006, 07:38 PM
3 QFs started, and allmatches really close w/ lots of breaks.

Uvarova is your NCAA champ

tennis_pIayer
May 27th, 2006, 07:41 PM
uvarova got to 220 less than 1 yr ago, so she isn't rusty

tennis_pIayer
May 27th, 2006, 08:32 PM
looks like babos is bout to win over zalameda in 2 sets.

nelson was serving for 1st set 5-4, then lost 3 straight games. she's pissed now

meanwhile, logar and miller are thinking its roland garros out there.

tennis_pIayer
May 27th, 2006, 08:57 PM
nelson wins 5-7, 6-0, 6-3. at one pt she won 8 games in a row. she started to really go for her serves (first and second) as she knew durkin was just eating uup her 2nd serves.

great job. semifinal..where hopefully she'll play moulton levy, meanwhile miller and logar are still playing on suzanne lenglen. midway thru 3rd set

LefandePatty
May 27th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Noon in California, so 3 pm EST

thanks.

tennis_pIayer
May 27th, 2006, 11:18 PM
wow. moulton levy upset uvarova. she really is incredibly fast.

semis:
moulton over nelson
logar over babos

tucker1989
May 28th, 2006, 12:08 AM
Barnes/Yelsey beat the UCLA pair 6-1, 6-4 to reach the semifinals :bounce:

bis2806
May 28th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Good job that Barnes/Yelsey are quicker today:D Meanwhile, Theresa kicks ass!

Jakeev
May 28th, 2006, 08:40 AM

What a wild event it has been so far!!!

darrinbaker00
May 29th, 2006, 01:40 AM
Not today, she didn't. ROLL ON YOU BEARS!! :bounce: :bounce:

bis2806
May 29th, 2006, 02:10 AM
Boohoo... I guess Babos was really solid, or Theresa was making more mistakes.... Barnes/Yelsey had to eventually be defeated...

tucker1989
May 29th, 2006, 03:27 AM
I really hope Lindsey Nelson wins this thing; she has been playing awesome tennis and I really have grown to like her, watching her play these past two weeks :hearts::D:worship:

Jakeev
May 29th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Draw/Singles Results from SF:
Lindsey Nelson, S. California def. Megan Moulton-Levy, William & Mary, 6-3, 6-2
Suzi Babos, California def. Theresa Logar(9-16), Stanford, 6-4, 3-6, 6-2

Draw/Doubles Results from SF:
Cristelle Grier/Alexis Prousis, Northwestern def. Alice Barnes/Anne Yelsey(1), Stanford, 6-3, 6-2
In Progress: Sara Anundsen/Jenna Long(5-8), UNC vs. Lucia Sainz/Katharina Winterhalter(5-8), Fresno St.

I am so glad for Lindsey. She hasn't played Suzi Babos this past year, but Linds went 0-3 against Babos' teammate Suzi Fodor. So her record against California hasn't been to good.

Linds has played her heart out this year and I can only root for her the rest of the way.

urklerlay
May 29th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Here's some shots of the finalists and the semi-finalists:

http://www.pbase.com/nomalt/image/60949109.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/nomalt/image/60949111.jpg

Logar had a great tourney reaching the semis considering she only played no. 3 singles on her team.

http://www.pbase.com/nomalt/image/60949113/medium.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/nomalt/image/60963699/medium.jpg

btw - I'm impressed of the amount of knowledge here on this thread re: College Tennis -- it's great!

http://www.pbase.com/nomalt/2006_ncaa_championships

Tennisace
May 29th, 2006, 03:58 PM
An interesting final given both players were out with injuries in the beginning of the year. I can't help but root for Babos. Who is going to play No. 1 for Cal next year? You have Babos, Fodor, and the incoming Henkel. Hopefully Babos will be able to do what Kops-Jones was never able to do.

Tennisace
May 29th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Here's the lineups for next year's pac10 schools

Stanford SC Cal UCLA
Logar Nelson Henke Zalameda
Yelsey Fink Fodor LIn
Durkin Fansler Babos Schnack
Deason Matias Kusano McGoodwin
Nguyen Anastasiu Ravolojana Joelson
Burdette Smekdoub/Devera Ilcinkas Lumpkin

It looks like it'll be real tight next year....all 4 of these teams should be in top 10. (well except maybe ucla)

I only agree with your SC line-up.

For Standford, I think they are going to give Hodzic No. 6 over Burdette given that Hodzic is healthy. I think Coach Forood will make Burdette do just the doubles like years past (see Nguyen, Hodzic, Yelsey freshmen years).

For Cal, its going to be a real toss up at the top of the line-up. But I think Henkel will start off at the No. 3 spot and work her way up. When Podkolzina arrived Brogan didn't up her at No. 2, but No. 3/4. Kusano and Ravelojana will flip-flop if Marion shows the form she had before she got hurt. And they will put Visico at No. 6 instead of Ilckinas (who like Bobusic will play doubles for another year).

For UCLA, I see Schnack at No. 2. Lin is not a No. 2 player, she would get killed against the other Pac-10 schools. And I could see Joelson moving up another spot to No. 4. McGoodwin has been a dissapointment.

Tennisace
May 29th, 2006, 08:10 PM
The Terminator (Babos' nickname) takes the title! Congrats!

darrinbaker00
May 29th, 2006, 08:43 PM
The Terminator (Babos' nickname) takes the title! Congrats!
A Cal player wins the title at Stanford. Is that the coolest, or is that the coolest? :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

charmedRic
May 29th, 2006, 08:46 PM
A Cal player wins the title at Stanford. Is that the coolest, or is that the coolest? :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Yayness!:cool:

Tennisace
May 29th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Suzi is 13-1 on the Stanford campus with her first loss coming against Barnes in the Cal-Stanford dual match this year. This is the second title she has won at Stanford, the first being the 2004 ITA Northwest Regional Championships.

*JR*
May 29th, 2006, 09:12 PM
"Back then"...

http://www.itftennis.com/juniors/players/player.asp?player=35014143

Capriati Rules
May 29th, 2006, 09:53 PM
YES Wildcats win the first set 6-4 on Prousis' serve WOOHOO!!

I love these girls watch them all the time. This has been a good pairing all year for us, although a bit erratic at times nice to see them putting it together when it counts!! Great way for Grier to go with a title hopefully she really deserves it since she's been a great rep for our school.

Tennisace
May 29th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Suzi Babos Wins NCAA Singles Title

Babos becomes the first ever Cal woman to win an NCAA singles title
May 29, 2006

Stanford, Calif. - California sophomore Suzi Babos was crowned the 2006 NCAA Women's Tennis Singles Champion Monday afternoon at the Taube Tennis Center at Stanford. Babos defeated Pac-10 foe, sophomore Lindsey Nelson of USC, to become the first ever Cal women's tennis player to win the singles title.

"I am still in shock," said Babos. "I need to believe that I actually won. It was a really big surprise and I need time to know what happened. It's just a huge being here in this tournament. I had a couple of good matches this semester, but also some bad matches. After our team lost in the NCAA Regionals to Fresno State, I felt really awful. I felt like I didn't deserve to be in this singles championships. Once I was here, I just got carried away with everything that was going on. Finally, everything clicked this weekend. I never stopped doubting that I could do really well here."

Babos grabbed the first set over 18th-ranked Nelson, downing her 6-4. In the second set, Babos jumped out to a quick 4-0 lead over her opponent, but Nelson came back to take the next game. With Babos up 5-1, she ensured the title with a 6-1 second set victory. This was the first match in the NCAA singles tournament history that both players competing for the title have been unseeded.

"It hasn't really sunk in yet," said 28th-year head coach Jan Brogan. "The tournament was really about redemption and determination. Suzi said she didn't feel good about her spring, she was having difficulties. She played at this level given the opportunity for redemption. When she first came to Cal she looked at the champions on the wall and she said that she wanted to win a singles title. To play well and allow herself to mentally play this well when she was feeling down, I am so proud of her. It shows what a great competitor she really is."

Babos is the fifth sophomore in the 25-year history of the tournament to win the title and the 15th Pac-10 NCAA singles champion. She ends her singles season with a 32-13 overall record and a No. 27 national ranking.

Complete Results
NCAA Women's Tennis Championhips
Taube Tennis Center, Stanford, CA
May 29, 2006
Singles Finals
(Cal) Suzi Babos d. (USC) Lindsey Nelson, 6-4, 6-1

Quotes from Suzi Babos:
"Right after the All-American tournament in October, I tore two ligaments in my right ankle so I couldn't play for a couple of months. I started coming back in January, but it wasn't functioning 100 percent so I was really struggling with it until March. My confidence was really, really low. I didn't believe I could come back and play at the level I wanted to play ever again. I just had to work extremely hard."

On the difference between last year's tournament and this year's:
"Last year I went to Gerogia and said "I have a shot. I can win this tournament." This year, I wasn't expecting anything. I just wanted to enjoy it and take it match by match. I never even thought about playing the next round. Last year, I was focusing on winning. This year, I was just focusing on enjoying my game and improving point by point."

On playing Lindsey Nelson:
"She was a big hitter, which I like. I just wanted to make her move and touch every single ball. Once we started playing, I realized if my serve was on, and it was on fire today, then there was no way I could lose this match. Coming into the match, I was extremely nervous warming up. As soon as I stepped on the court, I said there's no way I'm losing this match because I'm nervous."

On future goals:
"I never expected to come this far. My goal now is to improve in doubles. I really want to win a team championship, winning the singles title isn't the same as winning it with your team. After that we will see."

"This year I learned how deal with pressure and how to control my emotions. Freshman year I was a mess and the coaches did a lot of mental training."

Jakeev
May 30th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Awww Lindsey. A bridesmaid in a final again. This time the biggest in her tennis career.

But I am so happy for her right now. To get into the final, she must have been excited as heck.

She struggled all season against the Hungarian duo of Fodor and Babos so I had the feeling she would not win the title.

So I hope Lindsey has a great summer and she begins her junior year tougher than ever.

Hugs Linds and get em next year.:kiss:

urklerlay
May 30th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Just wondering here: If Logar would have beat Babos in Semis (she lost in 3), do you think Logar would have defeated Nelson in the finals too?

tennis_pIayer
May 30th, 2006, 02:55 PM
If Logar won, Lindsey would probablyhave won. She played her about 3 weeks ago at pac10 singles champs, and beat logar routineley. 4 and 3. logar has more margin on the ball, and isn't as aggressive so nelson can dictate more than w/ babos.

congrats to both...they had their rough patches in the season but deserve to finish the season where they are.

bis2806
May 30th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Logar hits the ball hard and consistently, and she returns a lot of balls back... Is Babos not American?

urklerlay
May 31st, 2006, 04:38 AM
Babos is Hungarian.

Bis2806 - check your PM