PDA

View Full Version : Mary Pierce - USA To FRA ?? When?? Why??

go hingis
May 25th, 2006, 04:30 AM
Can someone give me a little info on Mary Pierce and her move from playing under USA to FRA. Thanks in advance.

go hingis
May 25th, 2006, 05:04 AM
From Mary's career highlights:

1989 - In debut, qualified for Tier II event at Hilton Head, becoming youngest American to turn pro (at 14 years, two months) until Capriati broke record at 1990 Boca Raton.

go hingis
May 25th, 2006, 05:05 AM
1995 - Won first Grand Slam title at Australian Open (d. Sánchez-Vicario in final), becoming first Frenchwoman to win a Grand Slam in singles since Francoise Durr at 1967 Roland Garros; was first Frenchwoman to reach Australian Open final; afterwards (January 30), rose to career-high ranking of No.3; qualified for season-ending Championships for third year (l. 1r).

AjdeNate!
May 25th, 2006, 05:07 AM
Mary left to FRA when she was 13 after a riff with the USTA. Her family (dad?) moved her to FRA after the USTA refused to give her as much attention, training, etc as they did with Capriati. This is why the RG match in 1992 was so intense [and Mary buckled under the pressure and got smoked]. it was their first meeting since the problem and first time Papa Pierce and Papa Cappy were close; they had exchange words/threats earlier in the 90s.

go hingis
May 25th, 2006, 05:10 AM
Thank you very much Athenaeum.

AjdeNate!
May 25th, 2006, 05:13 AM
I watched that match in 92 and the tv commentators (in the USA) were half expectating Jim to slug Stefano during the match. The cameras panned to the dads more than their daughters that day. It was sad. Mary would miss big on a shot and immediately look at her dad like 'Don't hurt me!'. Very chilling and sad to see.

MistyGrey
May 25th, 2006, 05:41 AM
I remember that 92 match. It was unfair to expect Mary to beat Jen at that time, since Jen was an established top ten star, and Mary wasnt even in the top ten. Jim had put sooo much pressure on Mary to win. Strangely he had instructed her to loosen her braid and flaunt her long blond hair after the match, to get shampoo endoresments.
But Jen and Mary got along really well, I guess they were both rebellious so they didnt let the fathers effect them.

Solitaire
May 25th, 2006, 05:56 AM
Stupid USTA!!!

F-R-E-A-K
May 25th, 2006, 05:58 AM
Allez Mary :yeah: