PDA

View Full Version : So who can beat Martina Hingis in Paris?

Sam L
May 23rd, 2006, 04:08 PM
I guess I'm just excited, nervous and anxious. Let's face it, she'll sail through the early rounds.

But who can REALLY beat her?

Justine.
Amélie.
Nadia.
Sveta?

I think that's about it. But Martina has a great chance to beat them all too especially Amélie and Nadia who can be headcases. And Sveta who's very inconsistent still.

I guess Justine is the biggest hurdle for her. But Justine hasn't been making that much noise on the clay this year compared to the years when she won RG?

xin_hui
May 23rd, 2006, 04:10 PM
there's no one called choko :rolleyes:

and yes, justine didnt win any clay warmups. but count her out at your own perils

anyone from the list of justine, amelie, kim, sveta, nadia, elena (did i miss anyone? :p ) can beat her. who knows? some player you dont expect can beat anyone on any day.

yes, martina had a great lead up to RG. yes, she's one of the main contenders. but sometimes, players can go into a GS with crappy lead up results and still do well/win. so do not count them out

martina has a great chance to beat them all, just as they all have a great chance to beat martina

timafi
May 23rd, 2006, 04:12 PM
Sam,
call her Amelie or Mauresmo,please

Helen Lawson
May 23rd, 2006, 04:14 PM
Amelie, Kim, Justine, Svetlana, possibly Petrova, Lena D, Venus, Sharapova.

Sam L
May 23rd, 2006, 04:15 PM
Kim cannot. Give me a break. LMFAO.

janko
May 23rd, 2006, 04:15 PM
[QUOTE=Sam L]I guess I'm just excited, nervous and anxious. Let's face it, she'll sail through the early rounds.

in that kind of tournaments, all the 127 could beat Martina one day

Her victory in Rome was impressive, the come back is impressive but she s not the fave to win the whole stuff, by far...

A'DAM
May 23rd, 2006, 04:16 PM
Justine

Sam L
[QUOTE=Sam L]I guess I'm just excited, nervous and anxious. Let's face it, she'll sail through the early rounds.

Her victory in Rome was impressive, the come back is impressive but she s not the fave to win the whole stuff, by far...
We're talking about Martina Hingis here. She who hands out bagels and breadsticks till the semis of the every slam she enters.

Thanks.

xin_hui

count her out at your own perils. that's all i'm going to say. ANYONE CAN. dont get too ahead of yourself :rolleyes:

GrandSlam05
May 23rd, 2006, 04:18 PM
count her out at your own perils. that's all i'm going to say. ANYONE CAN. dont get too ahead of yourself :rolleyes:
BARF at the thought of Kim beating Martina!

Aquanetta
May 23rd, 2006, 04:20 PM
Henin
Mauresmo
Petrova
Dementieva
Sharapova
Venus

Libertango
May 23rd, 2006, 04:22 PM
Let's face it, she'll sail through the early rounds.

You didn't just say that!

hablo
May 23rd, 2006, 04:23 PM
I think JHH, Mauresmo, Clijsters, Petrova, Kuznetsova, Dementieva and Venus Williams can all beat Hingis, just like she probably can beat them.
I don't think Sharapova can beat Hingis on clay, that is why I didn't include her in my list ...

janko
May 23rd, 2006, 04:24 PM
[QUOTE=janko]
We're talking about Martina Hingis here. She who hands out bagels and breadsticks till the semis of the every slam she enters.

Thanks.

I think I have to repeat :

the win in Rome and all others tournaments are impressive but bagels won t come so easily, were not back in 1997

Depending of the draw, I can see her in 1/4 or maybe to the semis, but that'll be really hard

Last bagel in a Hingis's match was the one she received against Venus! :devil: , but she managed to win after, I know :yawn:

écris en français, je te comprendrai mieux...

vesanto
May 23rd, 2006, 04:28 PM
Who can beat her? I am sorry but do you want me to make a list?

tennisluver99
May 23rd, 2006, 04:31 PM
Bookmarking this thread so I can bump it when Hingis loses :devil:

SelesFan70
May 23rd, 2006, 04:37 PM
Amelie, Kim, Justine, Svetlana, possibly Petrova, Lena D, Venus, Sharapova.

I'm not so sure about Maria on clay...especially a semi-wounded, coming in cold with no clay matches Maria.

I would add Myskina perhaps.

Drake1980
May 23rd, 2006, 04:37 PM
Hopefully no one!

alfonsojose
May 23rd, 2006, 04:39 PM
:rolleyes: She is still a dark horse. Half ot the top ten can beat her :shrug:

No Name Face
May 23rd, 2006, 04:44 PM
Dementieva
Henin-Hardenne
Venus
Clijsters
Nadia
Kuznetsova
((Schnyder on a good day))

griffin
May 23rd, 2006, 04:46 PM
I think JHH, Mauresmo, Clijsters, Petrova, Kuznetsova, Dementieva and Venus Williams can all beat Hingis, just like she probably can beat them.
I don't think Sharapova can beat Hingis on clay, that is why I didn't include her in my list ...

What hab said (hablovah is wicked clever and I"m too lazy to write it out myself ;) )

As for whether she'll "sail" through the early rounds, she's certainly capable, but at this point in her career I'd bet she's smart enough not to take that for granted.

No.1Hingis
May 23rd, 2006, 04:48 PM
I guess.. almost all top ten can... I dont count Elena, Patty and even not Mary and Sharapova...

But in remain that.. The question is.. Martina how can beat? .. ANSWER.. ALL top ten players (if she has in road two of playes I discount up here, she's gonna has so lucky and surely easy to final rounds)...... How 's going to be tough.. Mauresmo, Kim, Nadia and Justine.. but not IMPOSSIBLE... Your are forgetting Martina really want RG tittle.. she is gonna be a tigger to reach last rounds.. Is not gonna be easy for any player to face her... Martina is going to be 100% of performance plus another 100% of heart and spirit.. think about it...

Brooks.
May 23rd, 2006, 04:48 PM
Venus for sure
Dementieva (you never know how's she's going to play but she always seems to raise her level at slams)
Justine
Petrova
Kuznetsova
Kim
Amelie

all these women have a chance at the title

Il Primo!
May 23rd, 2006, 04:50 PM
Who can beat Hingis?:spit: Be serious the list is long
Amélie
Justine
These two would ainly beat her

Venus,Petrova probably

Sveta,MariaS maybe

But,I dunno,I don't feel LenaD at all

FrenchY52
May 23rd, 2006, 04:53 PM
Many players didn't play against her so we dunno ..

mr_burns
May 23rd, 2006, 04:54 PM
many players can...butmostlikely is an upset from the qf on

alfajeffster
I think Steffi Graf has a good shot at it- if she's healthy...

FedExpress
Dementieva, Mauresmo, V. Williams, Kuznetsova, Henin-Hardenne
Maybe Sharapova, Clijsters & Petrova

Kathrin
May 23rd, 2006, 05:12 PM
Pierce or Petrova will shot her down at RG! Believe me :p

LoveFifteen
May 23rd, 2006, 05:20 PM
There are a lot of people who can beat Hingis at Roland Garros. Let's not get too cocky. I don't want this thread to get bumped later, and people to gloat and call Hingis' fans stupid and arrogant. LOL!

That being said, Martina has so many demons to battle at Roland Garros. If she wins this year, I would be stunned. I keep having nightmares that Henin will knock her out in the QFs.

Allez! :scared:

squash
May 23rd, 2006, 05:24 PM
Justine
Nadia
Kim
Venus
Svetlana
Mary P.
Tatiana G.
Ana I.
Elena D.
A. Myskina ???
Sharapova ???

Herill
May 23rd, 2006, 05:27 PM
Miss Elena Dementieva will beat her... hehehehehhehehe

Ferosh
May 23rd, 2006, 05:29 PM
Only the following players can defeat Martina in Paris?

Asagoe
Brandi
Pin
Raymond

:sarcasm:

Summer Snow
Venus
Kim
JHH
Petrova
Mauresmo
Kuznetsova
Dementieva (Not saying she WILL, but she certainly CAN)
Mary Pierce
Hantuchova :tape:
Patty Shnyder :bowdown:
Anastasia Myskina

Sally Struthers

oh please.. she doesn't lose to anyone outside the top 20 or so...

Amelie, Kim, Justine :mad: , Dementieva on a good day, ditto with Kuznetsova and Petrova, Venus perhaps

What she really does not fare well against is people who can move and return a lot of balls and can hit winners.

Barlos
May 23rd, 2006, 05:42 PM
I'm not sure about the question... While I believe Justine, Kim, Amelia, Nadia, Venus, Elena, Svetlana and perhaps even Maria S and Patty are capable of beating Martina on clay I'd say only Justine would be a good favourite against her. I'm not saying Martina isn't capable of taking Justine out though...

j@zmin
May 23rd, 2006, 05:51 PM
Of course everybody can beat everybody. This year Venus lost in first round in Autralia against Pironkova, Craybas beat Kim in Miami and Meghan S. beat Justine also in Miami. Sometimes a top player loses against a player when, on paper, it should have been an easy victory. But those are surprises loses.

If we are not talking about surprises, I think the only players who can beat her are JHH, Amelie, Kim, Nadia, Sveta, Lena D. and Venus; but Martina can beat them too.

Now, she is seeded 13 so she´ll has to face a top 4 in R16, she could lose there, but it´s also possible that she wins. Anyway I am sure that nobody want to face her in that stage.

<Sven>
May 23rd, 2006, 05:55 PM
The ones that I would consider favorite in a matchup against Hingis are Justine (ofcourse) but also Kim and Nadia have an advantage on her
Besides those also Elena, Maria, Sveta, Dinara, and some others have a decent chance against her
I don't see Hingis as the top favorite...

edit: oops, forgot Amélie, she also has a good chance.

selyoink
May 23rd, 2006, 06:24 PM
Henin-Hardenne
Mauresmo
Clijsters
Venus
Kuznetsova
Petrova
Dementieva

All of these players can definitely beat Hingis. I would favor all of them over Hingis as well probably. There are others who can take Hingis down as well but these are the most likely candidates to beat her in my opinion.

Viktymise
May 23rd, 2006, 06:45 PM
Anyone who has already beaten her except pannetta, i mean if lena has an on day against her, she'll be gone in an instant, same could be said about vee. Then all the top players such as kim, justine, amelie who she hasnt beaten this year also to include sveta maybe not sharapova cause its clay and pierce if she plays and if fit and healthy and inspired

Piotr'ek
May 23rd, 2006, 06:47 PM
who cant?

eugreene2
May 23rd, 2006, 07:05 PM
Lawd, this thread. How 'bout a bunch of people.

CJ07
May 23rd, 2006, 07:36 PM
What about the 10 people who have beaten her this year :shrug:

Davenselesport
May 23rd, 2006, 08:53 PM
ok there are many players that CAN beat Martina...

but here are the players I think Martina CAN'T beat on clay

Nadia Petrova
Justine Henin-Hardenne
period.

ivan88
May 23rd, 2006, 08:58 PM
Mauresmo or Henin, But I hope it will not be

faboozadoo15
May 23rd, 2006, 09:37 PM
I'm not so sure about Maria on clay...especially a semi-wounded, coming in cold with no clay matches Maria.

I would add Myskina perhaps.
sharapova hasn't needed a lot of warmup to do serious damage in the past. but it's true sharapova would have a tougher time against hingis on clay than on a faster court.

PLP
May 23rd, 2006, 09:41 PM
[QUOTE=Davenselesport]ok there are many players that CAN beat Martina...

but here are the players I think Martina CAN'T beat on clay

Nadia Petrova
Justine Henin-Hardenne
period.[/QUOT

Actually, I think Martina has a great chance against both of them, though I agree that they are the 2 toughest for her to beat. I think she is hotter ATM than Justine and Nadia has never played her so she may be in for a surprise...Yes, there are players that can beat Martina, but it depends on the day and she has a great shot against everyone IMO>P

Davenselesport
May 23rd, 2006, 09:44 PM
Actually, I think Martina has a great chance against both of them, though I agree that they are the 2 toughest for her to beat. I think she is hotter ATM than Justine and Nadia has never played her so she may be in for a surprise...Yes, there are players that can beat Martina, but it depends on the day and she has a great shot against everyone IMO>P

Actually you may be right about Justine... if Patty beat her I think Martina can as well.

However, the fact that someone can beat Petrova on red clay has yet to be seen

faboozadoo15
May 23rd, 2006, 09:45 PM
i think there are a LOT of players martina CAN beat, but everyone's right, there are a lot of players who CAN beat martina too. that's why this tournament will be so exciting. martina will need to play really really smart tennis to get her through 7 matches. i really hope she does though, that would be AMAZING.

mike/topgun
May 23rd, 2006, 10:01 PM
what a stuuuupid thread...it's too early to predict, but imo only top10 players could beat her...wateva :lol:
Martina's a great champ and we all would like to see her kicking ass in Paris, but there are some difficulties she needs to overcome to be ready when facing JHH, Momo, Masha, Nadia, Elena, Kim, Venus,Sveta...she's got a shot, and I'd be shocked if she gets past semis.

hingis-seles
May 23rd, 2006, 10:10 PM
You just can't say. She could beat anyone and anyone could beat her. She could win the title and she could lose her opening match.

Depending on her draw, I think a QF would be a good result for her.

msharafan
May 23rd, 2006, 10:10 PM
i think all the top 10 players can. i mean hingis is a great player but if the top are at their best they will beat her. shes been away too long from the game to be consistently beating the top players. ok she beat sharapova the first time they met, but that was when sharapova was playing not very well and was surprised how good she was. whereas once maria found out how good martina was she made sure she raised her level in her next 2 matches which she won comfortably. however clay is hingis' best chance to beat sharapova, i think if maria played her best she would and should win.

Erika_Angel
May 23rd, 2006, 10:11 PM
A ton of players can beat her in Paris.

Pengwin
May 23rd, 2006, 10:12 PM
Only Mauresmo, Henin and Clijsters probably, unless she's having a hard time.

bello
May 23rd, 2006, 10:15 PM
Justine, Venus, Kim, Amelie, Nadia, Sveta.

thelittlestelf
May 23rd, 2006, 10:21 PM
who cant?That's an even dumber question.

thelittlestelf
May 23rd, 2006, 10:26 PM
Actually you may be right about Justine... if Patty beat her I think Martina can as well.

However, the fact that someone can beat Petrova on red clay has yet to be seenIf Petrova plays as well as she has been, then yes, she would be the favorite, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that Martina would not be able to beat her.

Dave B
May 23rd, 2006, 10:40 PM

??? Kim may have had poor form in Rome, but she lost to Safina, who ended up beating two other top ten players. She was also in great form at Warsaw, and has time to pull her game together. She is the number two player in the world and she beat Martina while injured in the AO. Hingis could defenitly beat her, but Kim could easily walk away the winner of such a match up.

Dave B
May 23rd, 2006, 10:41 PM
i think all the top 10 players can. i mean hingis is a great player but if the top are at their best they will beat her. shes been away too long from the game to be consistently beating the top players. ok she beat sharapova the first time they met, but that was when sharapova was playing not very well and was surprised how good she was. whereas once maria found out how good martina was she made sure she raised her level in her next 2 matches which she won comfortably. however clay is hingis' best chance to beat sharapova, i think if maria played her best she would and should win.

I cannot really think of any player this season who has consistently beaten top players. Its been an exciting and great year, everyone is dangerous.

Sally Struthers
May 23rd, 2006, 10:43 PM
??? Kim may have had poor form in Rome, but she lost to Safina, who ended up beating two other top ten players. She was also in great form at Warsaw, and has time to pull her game together. She is the number two player in the world and she beat Martina while injured in the AO. Hingis could defenitly beat her, but Kim could easily walk away the winner of such a match up.

Kim is dangerous for Martina since she will hit everything back forcing Martina to go for a lot to get a winner off her. But then again, Kim has bad stretches and can be inconsistent.

Sam L
May 23rd, 2006, 10:56 PM
écris en français, je te comprendrai mieux...

LOL! J'apprends français maintenant, mais je comprends un peu français. Je suis débutant.

Pengwin
May 23rd, 2006, 11:04 PM
LOL! J'apprends français maintenant, mais je comprends un peu français. Je suis débutant.

Ne dis pas "LOL" :(, dis "MDR" :D

(mort de rire :mdr: )

Sam L
May 23rd, 2006, 11:09 PM
Ne dis pas "LOL" :(, dis "MDR" :D

(mort de rire :mdr: )
MDR! :lol:

Sam L
May 23rd, 2006, 11:10 PM
I think Steffi Graf has a good shot at it- if she's healthy...
Please! Stop living in the past.

Dawn Marie
May 23rd, 2006, 11:15 PM
Reality these are the players that CAN beat Hingis in Paris. In no order.

Momo
Justine
Henin
Venus
Serena
Kim
Elena D.
Svetlana

These ladies CAN beat her on clay. She beat Venus on clay but it wasn't a walkover. Don't count out Sveta and Henin nor Elena. Notice I didn't state Petrova. Nadia still has to show me that she can win on the big stage.

Buitenzorg
May 23rd, 2006, 11:19 PM
I would've say Justine!

Summer Snow
May 23rd, 2006, 11:21 PM
That's an even dumber question.
No it's not! Nothing is impossible! :rolleyes: If upsets didn't occur, why would we watch the game? As we have seen time in and time out, a player can have a horrible day, just ask Venus (and I am a fan :rolleyes: ) I would have never thought she would lose to Karatencheva and Pironkova! :sad: :rolleyes: :fiery:

Anyone can beat Hingis on clay. That's trhe answer to the question. Who has the BEST chance of beating her? I think that has been answered in the myriads of posts made in this thread :wavey: :D

thelittlestelf
May 23rd, 2006, 11:22 PM
No it's not! Nothing is impossible! :rolleyes: If upsets didn't occur, why would we watch the game? As we have seen time in and time out, a player can have a horrible day, just ask Venus (and I am a fan :rolleyes: ) I would have never thought she would lose to Karatencheva and Pironkova! :sad: :rolleyes: :fiery:

Anyone can beat Hingis on clay. That's trhe answer to the question. Who has the BEST chance of beating her? I think that has been answered in the myriads of posts made in this thread :wavey: :DUpsets can occur, but there are a lot of people who can't beat Martina Hingis.

perseus2006
May 23rd, 2006, 11:59 PM
Rome was not a great victory for Hingis. She had a cupcake draw after all the top players withdrew. Her half was between her and Venus and Hingis squeaked out the win. The other side of the draw, where all the power was, beat themselves to death. Title to the weaker half. This sort of thing happens occassionally - like at the AO. It could happen at RG and that is the only way Hingis will survive the QF's.

Who can beat Hingis? These players who have already beaten her or came close.

Ame, Kim, Pova, Kuzy, Elena, Nastya, Venus, Maria K, Flavia, Nicole, Francesca, Dinara, Lindsay, Sania, and Nathalie.

Plus a whole bunch of players that haven't played her yet or weren't overwhelmed in their loss, led by Nadia, Patty, Anna-Lena and Dani.

I consider Hingis an underdog to almost all these players. Certainly not an overwhelming favorite against any of them. Hingis is doing ok but to win RG would require a repeat of the Rome and AO fiascos.

morningglory
May 24th, 2006, 12:04 AM
anyone on a given day

Summer Snow
May 24th, 2006, 12:26 AM
anyone on a given day
:bowdown: This goes for every player on tour. Mens', Women's Traventites etc. :D :wavey:

zibaas
May 24th, 2006, 12:49 AM
All the top 15 or 2o have chances against Martina

LUIS9
May 24th, 2006, 12:57 AM
[QUOTE=janko]

Thanks.

Not in this day and age of tennis. At least not this early in her comeback.

Mark for Martina
May 24th, 2006, 01:56 AM
Let's just say that Martina would be the really tough challenge for any other seed above her.

swissmisshingis
May 24th, 2006, 02:19 AM
Let's just say that Martina would be the really tough challenge for any other seed above her.

well said :worship:

Jamie
May 24th, 2006, 04:55 AM
Most times in GS when Martina was beat, she beat herself. She had the match by the throat and her own mistakes cost her the titles. She is still a GREAT champion, but more mature.

RJWCapriati
May 24th, 2006, 04:57 AM
I think the only person would be Justine or Venus

AnDyDog621
May 24th, 2006, 05:59 AM
i think Hingis might have trouble in the early rounds if she gets paired with either one of the top chinese players.

mike/topgun
May 24th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Rome was not a great victory for Hingis. She had a cupcake draw after all the top players withdrew. Her half was between her and Venus and Hingis squeaked out the win. The other side of the draw, where all the power was, beat themselves to death. Title to the weaker half. This sort of thing happens occassionally - like at the AO. It could happen at RG and that is the only way Hingis will survive the QF's.

Ame, Kim, Pova, Kuzy, Elena, Nastya, Venus, Maria K, Flavia, Nicole, Francesca, Dinara, Lindsay, Sania, and Nathalie.

Plus a whole bunch of players that haven't played her yet or weren't overwhelmed in their loss, led by Nadia, Patty, Anna-Lena and Dani.

I consider Hingis an underdog to almost all these players. Certainly not an overwhelming favorite against any of them. Hingis is doing ok but to win RG would require a repeat of the Rome and AO fiascos.

Couldn't agree more. When most of the top players battle themselves out to get to the QFs Marti's got a chance on the trophy-it's the only way she goes beyond quarters/semis stage. :tape:

alfajeffster
May 24th, 2006, 11:42 AM
I understand Melanie will beat Martina if she doesn't make at least the semis...

Martian KC
May 24th, 2006, 11:54 AM
I understand Melanie will beat Martina if she doesn't make at least the semis...

Not as hard as peter did.:lol:

TonyP
May 24th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Realistically speaking, Martina is a dark horse candidate for the title. There are several others players who would be favored to win the tournament, including Justine, Amelie, Nadia, Kim, Svetlana, perhaps Maria, depending upon what kind of shape she is in.

But truthfully, Martina now has a serious shot at the title too and I could not have said that with complete honesty before Rome. Rome broke the ice for her, giving her that all important first title on her comeback run and more importantly, giving her the self confidence she needs.

But there is one minor downside. No player will be more scrutinized at Roland Garros than Martina Hingis. Love her or hate her, right now Martina is THE STORY on the woman's side of the draw. In fact, right now there are just two stories in tennis, Roger vs. Nadal and Martina Hingis' comeback run. So Martina is going to be in the spotlight every step of the way. For a comeback player, it would probably be better to fly under the radar a little and not be so much in the glare of the spotlight, but that is aboslutely impossible now for Hingis.

alfajeffster
May 24th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Not as hard as peter did.:lol:

Hard? Peter? You really know how to get a guy going this early in the morning!:lol:

Hingie
May 24th, 2006, 02:05 PM
I guess I'm just excited, nervous and anxious. Let's face it, she'll sail through the early rounds.

But who can REALLY beat her?

Justine.
Amélie.
Nadia.
Sveta?

I think that's about it. But Martina has a great chance to beat them all too especially Amélie and Nadia who can be headcases. And Sveta who's very inconsistent still.

I guess Justine is the biggest hurdle for her. But Justine hasn't been making that much noise on the clay this year compared to the years when she won RG?

No offence Sam (and you know this is coming from a Hingis fan) but this thread is just asking for trouble. Yes she just won a Tier 1 and that's great - she's played well thus far but i hardly think she is all of a sudden a favourite at Roland Garros. I think Amelie and Justine are miles ahead of her. I know the matches between them have been close but in Slams Marti has to beat power hitters consecutively and will need a favourable draw.

She is a threat to almost anyone on Tour, but then again, there are numerous players who can take her out.

Given her history at RG, maybe the thread title should be 'Who can beat Juju at RG?'

Hingie
May 24th, 2006, 02:15 PM

An underdog against Myskina, Kirilenko, Panetta, Vaidisova, Francesca, Safina, Sania and Dechy?

This thread shouldn't have been started to begin with but that is a strectch!

Reality is simple people - the top of the Tour can beat each other on any given day... period.

SoClose
May 24th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Venus :worship:
Justine
Mauresmo
Petrova
Sharapova???????

patricio
May 25th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Elena
Amelie
Justine