PDA

View Full Version : Should Martina Hingis Win Roland Garros.....

Jaffas85
May 23rd, 2006, 06:23 AM
Should Hingis win the French Open what would her ranking probably go up to?

About #8 or so?

And because her ranking is #14 at what round should she first expect to see some considerably threatening top 10 players? Not until the Quarter Finals?

How many points does a player get from winning one of the Grand Slam tournaments?

Thanks.

P.S. Do you all consider Martina Hingis to be a good grass court player? With players like V. Williams, Davenport, Sharapova and Mauresmo does she stand much of a chance of progressing far at Wimbledon?

Thanks.

E. Blackadder
May 23rd, 2006, 06:30 AM
700 points for winning would make her #9 or so

She is poised to meet one of the top 4 seeds (Amelie, Kim, Nadia, Maria) in the 4th round though

Jaffas85
May 23rd, 2006, 06:33 AM
700 points for winning would make her #9 or so

She is poised to meet one of the top 4 seeds (Amelie, Kim, Nadia, Maria) in the 4th round though

Hopefully she encounters Sharapova, Hingis wouldn't have much of a problem against her on clay.

msharafan
May 23rd, 2006, 06:36 AM
no i say anyone but sharapova, not that i dont think with a massive effort maria could take out the swiss miss.

AsGoodAsNew
May 23rd, 2006, 06:38 AM
Should Hingis win the French Open what would her ranking probably go up to?

About #8 or so?

And because her ranking is #14 at what round should she first expect to see some considerably threatening top 10 players? Not until the Quarter Finals?

How many points does a player get from winning one of the Grand Slam tournaments?

Thanks.

P.S. Do you all consider Martina Hingis to be a good grass court player? With players like V. Williams, Davenport, Sharapova and Mauresmo does she stand much of a chance of progressing far at Wimbledon?

Thanks.
Unfortunately if you see Marcus' statistics in my thread about RG success after winning Rome then history is not on Martina's side.

Jaffas85
May 23rd, 2006, 06:41 AM
As long as she doesn't have to face Henin-Hardenne until at least the semis then I don't think she'd have a problem progressing far in the draw.

In my opinion, Henin-Hardenne would have to be the only player Hingis doesn't really have a serious chance against *not yet anyway*.

Lucy
May 23rd, 2006, 06:56 AM
i would love for martina to will roland garros. then, her destiny would be fullfilled.

pcrtennis
May 23rd, 2006, 07:10 AM
If Venus doesn't win it, then I'd like to see Hingis win it. (A few years ago I would have killed myself fro making such a statement about Hingis!)

Hingiswinsthis
May 23rd, 2006, 07:21 AM
Amelie, Kim, Nadia or Maria....wow. One of these girls will have the fate of crossing Hingis's destiny as many on this board claim. Hmmmm....whoever Hingis meets within these four....its for sure to be a bittersweet defeat (although I would like Hingis to meet Sharapova on clay...it's better for her chances now.)

Anyways, I still think Martina is an underdog. One big one doesn't cut it to become a favorite. This year's RG should be Nadia's, Amelie's, Justine's to win.......if Martina is going to win this, she's going to have to spit out her best stuff like in Berlin and Rome and more.

shava
May 23rd, 2006, 07:35 AM
It's funny that women's tennis is so unpredictable now while it's almost sure it'd be a Rafa-Roger final this year at RG. :p
Martina certainly stands a chance, but she definitely needs some luck there. :lol:

champion88
May 23rd, 2006, 07:37 AM
if she si #14 now, and Lindsay is out- Mary is unlikely- so Hingis might be seeded 12 and so miss the top 4 seeds which would give her a great chance of reaching the 1/4s at least

tennnisfannn
May 23rd, 2006, 10:22 AM
I don't see why it should matter who martina is playing in hte 4th rd. she is capabale of taking out any of them including justine. She is playing like a top fiver now, you only need to look at the race and she is right up there.

Veeko
May 23rd, 2006, 01:18 PM
It's hard to say,because she often makes miracle

Markus
May 23rd, 2006, 01:25 PM
Hopefully she encounters Sharapova, Hingis wouldn't have much of a problem against her on clay.
i highly doubt this. sharapova is hot when it comes to a grand slam.

Rub
May 23rd, 2006, 01:34 PM
OMG that would be stunning!

morningglory
May 23rd, 2006, 01:42 PM
She might, but it's wide open this year

No.1Hingis
May 23rd, 2006, 02:28 PM
For me.. there are four top ten candidates.. Kim, Nadia,Justine and Kuzzy (in order to rank)... and one favourite black horse Top 15 Martina.. Surely in this list is the RG Champ 2006.. you gonna remember me.. I guess all have the same chance..

Helen Lawson
May 23rd, 2006, 02:45 PM
Wouldn't it be totally hilarious if she won the French Open and then announced that she had come back solely to win the French, and to expose the lack of any real depth or talent in the game today, and then laughs that she did it in 5 months, and then re-retires!

GrandSlam05
May 23rd, 2006, 03:15 PM
Wouldn't it be totally hilarious if she won the French Open and then announced that she had come back solely to win the French, and to expose the lack of any real depth or talent in the game today, and then laughs that she did it in 5 months, and then re-retires!
She's only a kid.

Andrew..
May 23rd, 2006, 03:47 PM
i highly doubt this. sharapova is hot when it comes to a grand slam.
Sometimes. She's also gotten very lucky.

If she wasn't playing a complete nutcase in the 1r of RG last year, she would have probably been gone. And she's gotten away with murder in the QF's against Nadia recently.

And beyond the QF's, she's done nothing in two years.

Andrew..
May 23rd, 2006, 03:48 PM
I'd prefer her just pointing and laughing at players on court, but that would do.

Helen Lawson
May 23rd, 2006, 03:48 PM
She's only a kid.

Sooo was I, only a kid. I learned early, you have to know how to compete and win!

SAEKeithSerena
May 23rd, 2006, 03:49 PM
should she win? she won't win cause my girl sharapova will take that title:) hehehehe jk, best of luck to her!

GrandSlam05
May 23rd, 2006, 04:02 PM
Sooo was I, only a kid. I learned early, you have to know how to compete and win!
I've got an appointment.

Helen Lawson
May 23rd, 2006, 04:05 PM
I've got an appointment.

They call, you run.

GrandSlam05
May 23rd, 2006, 04:05 PM
They call, you run.
Who calls I run?

Helen Lawson
May 23rd, 2006, 04:06 PM
Who calls I run?

Nobody.

GrandSlam05
May 23rd, 2006, 04:07 PM
Nobody.
Then why do you say that?

Helen Lawson
May 23rd, 2006, 04:09 PM
Then why do you say that?

Who wants to go swimming?

GrandSlam05
May 23rd, 2006, 04:10 PM
Who wants to go swimming?
I do........It's not fair! You're bigger than I am! It's not fair to win twice!

Helen Lawson
May 23rd, 2006, 04:11 PM
I do........It's not fair! You're bigger than I am! It's not fair to win twice!

Ah, but nobody ever said life was fair, Tina! I'm bigger and I'm faster. I will always beat you!

GrandSlam05
May 23rd, 2006, 04:16 PM
Ah, but nobody ever said life was fair, Tina! I'm bigger and I'm faster. I will always beat you!
Then I'm not gonna play with you anymore, EVER!

Helen Lawson
May 23rd, 2006, 04:18 PM
Then I'm not gonna play with you anymore, EVER!

Don't you EVER use that tone of voice with me, MISSY!! Who do you think you're talking to? You're going to MARCH yourself up those stairs and into your room, and you'll stay there until I tell you to come out, or until you APOLOGIZE!

Alecia Moore
May 23rd, 2006, 04:41 PM
Marti can win Roland Garros but Wimbledon this year I dunno. :scratch: The big servers totally have the advantage. :(

LH2HBH
May 23rd, 2006, 05:31 PM
They call, you run.

:lol:

Sally Struthers
May 23rd, 2006, 05:35 PM

Hel, you should have done that at this year's Oscars. Reese Witherspoon my ass! You'd have wiped the floor with those pretenders.

23TwentyThree23
May 23rd, 2006, 06:17 PM
If martina does win, it will validate steffi's message to her 7 years ago, on that fateful final's day - "I know you're gonna come back and win this tournament. You're too big a champion not to."

Helen Lawson
May 23rd, 2006, 06:19 PM
Hel, you should have done that at this year's Oscars. Reese Witherspoon my ass! You'd have wiped the floor with those pretenders.

I know, I was at an Oscar-watching party and when Reese said, "I can't believe this" I screamed back at the TV, "neither can I." Hey, everyone at the party gave me a standing ovation!

spencercarlos
May 24th, 2006, 01:05 AM
no i say anyone but sharapova, not that i dont think with a massive effort maria could take out the swiss miss.
Not on clay, plus Martina is back again hitting the ball better, she was purely defending after Tokio, and she has started to take command at least trying to once again since her match with Dementieva in Berlin.
If this Martina shows up, i canīt see Sharapova winning over Hingis especially on clay.

le bon vivant
May 24th, 2006, 01:08 AM
I will eat my socks.

spencercarlos
May 24th, 2006, 01:21 AM
As long as she doesn't have to face Henin-Hardenne until at least the semis then I don't think she'd have a problem progressing far in the draw.

In my opinion, Henin-Hardenne would have to be the only player Hingis doesn't really have a serious chance against *not yet anyway*.
Well i would have thought of this, if Henin were in form as she was last year.

The match up "should" be different, remmember that a fresh and playing some of her best tennis Henin Hardene beat Hingis in just her 5th match 6-3 6-3 in Sydney, and Hingis is playing better now than she was then.
But that considering Henin not being at her best as she is right now, otherwise i would not like to see the matchup :p

As for this thread, i donīt think Martina is ready yet to win a grand slam, she wonīt even make it to the finals, hopefully she can get a good draw and make it to the quarters.