PDA

View Full Version : Venus is injury free for the French

mn73
May 24th, 2002, 09:00 AM
The American has recovered from a wrist sprain that forced her out of Rome.

Here is the full article:

Venus out to conquer Paris

Copyright 2002 Nando Media
Copyright 2002 Agence France-Presse

Agence France-Presse

PARIS (May 24, 2002 02:28 AM EDT) - Wimbledon and US Open champion Venus Williams may have been deprived of her third Grand Slam title in a row in Australia but the world number two believes she can redeem herself in her favorite city from next Monday.

The powerful American second seed has already won the Paris Indoor Open last February at the Coubertin Stadium, not far from Roland Garros, after Yugoslavia's Jelena Dokic pulled out with a leg injury before the final.

But it is the clay that she must tame if she is to finish better than two quarter-final finishes at the French Open in 1998 and 2000.

Williams had a strong start this season by gaining a title at Gold Coast without dropping a set, but her impressive 24-match win-streak was ended by compatriot Monica Seles at the Australian Open quarter-final.

The American has recovered from a wrist sprain that forced her out of Rome but hasn't played in competition since losing the final in Hamburg on May 5 to Belgian Kim Clijsters.

And the 21-year-old, who February became the first African-American world number one, knows that she must work hard if she is to win her fifth title this year.

"I know I have to hit the ball three or four times more than on hard court to finish a point. But that doesn't bother me," said Williams.

"I want this title," said Williams, who was dumped out of the first round last year by Austrian Barbara Schett.

"It's like in Australia where I've never managed to play a final. But that doesn't really worry me because I know that one day I know I'll have my chance and I hope it will be this year."

And Williams finds it hard to explain her failure at Roland Garros, having already won on clay last year at Hamburg.

"I don't really know why," said Williams. "I like playing on clay and feel comfortable. Before arriving on the pro-circuit I practiced on this surface as did Serena. I like clay as much as hard court."

Winning in Paris would be special for Williams who is learning French and often visits the city outside the tennis circuit.

"I love France, I love Paris. I manage to speak a little French. It's great," she enthuses.

"At the Paris Indoor Open I tried, but I was too shy," she said of her ability to give a speech in French.

"But this time if I win the trophy, and I want this title this year, I promise that I'll speak French," she added.

RYNJ
May 24th, 2002, 09:06 AM
"But this time if I win the trophy, and I want this title this year, I promise that I'll speak French," she added.

YES, SPEAK IN FRENCH... WIN RG BABY!!!

HAIL-VENUS
May 24th, 2002, 11:41 AM
"At the Paris Indoor Open I tried, but I was too shy," she said of her ability to give a speech in French.

Awwwwh, that's so sweeeet. She admits that she was too shy. :angel: I want Venus to win the French Open!:bounce:

schris
May 24th, 2002, 11:49 AM
I want Venus to win the French Open too !!!! Good luck shy girl ;)

Williams Rulez
May 24th, 2002, 02:05 PM
Yeah!!

I'm so happy... go Venus!! :) :D :kiss:

Take the title baby! :)

CanadianBoy21
May 24th, 2002, 02:06 PM
Take it Venus

"Topaz"
May 24th, 2002, 02:40 PM
Ahhhh Venus, all you need to do is win that trophy and then:

- Tell the French crowd:

"Merci beaucoup pour votre support au cour de ces deux dernieres semaines. Je vous aime beaucoup (expect a big applause here).
"Je complimente enormement les organisateurs pour un travail bien fait, et je felicite (insert loser's name) pour avoir si bien joue (another applause here).
"J'adore ce trophee de tout mon coeur et je compte retourner ici l'an prochain. Encore une fois, merci beaucoup (a major applause here)."

- At this point, secure the money, grab the trophy (in that order), then vave, send kisses, pause for some photo shoots and disappear.

That's all, Vee. Simple.

(Sorry, guys, for the lack of accents on some vowels, blame my keyboard)

Experimentee
May 24th, 2002, 03:07 PM
This is good to hear, but all players say they're ok before a tournament so they wont alert their opponents. I dont think the injury was anything major to start with, but i'll be happy once i see her play her first match unhampered. Go Venus!

bootilicious
May 24th, 2002, 03:19 PM
lol @ TennisPower

btw is that you in your avatar?

RYNJ
May 24th, 2002, 03:24 PM
Thats Kurt Warner....

Infiniti2001
May 24th, 2002, 04:07 PM
YES!!!!
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

http://www.fortunecity.com/olympia/bischoff/239/97c1da30.jpg

Sevenseas
May 24th, 2002, 04:21 PM
I see, TennisPower you're totally concentrated on Venus's championship. I can't imagine any Grand Slam without her. Williams Sisters put alot of excitement to Grand Slams. Yet, I wish good luck to all tennis players and their fans.

:wavey:

"Topaz"
May 24th, 2002, 05:02 PM
Well, Sevenseas, not totally. There are several facets to life. This is one for sure. ;)

THE NET
May 24th, 2002, 05:27 PM
I want to hear VEE speaking FRENCH!!

GO VEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QueenO
May 24th, 2002, 05:37 PM
Go Venus :kiss: :bounce: :kiss:

Couver
May 24th, 2002, 06:41 PM
GO VENUS! It would be so nice to see her win her 5TH!! Major.

anton
May 24th, 2002, 07:55 PM
good luck Venus! I think if she wins 2 matches, after RG she will be #1 no matter what Jennifer does!!!

CanadianBoy21
May 24th, 2002, 08:02 PM
I don't care if Venus is #1.

I want Venus to be the French Champion, :fiery:

It sounds good

"& The 2002 French Open Champion Is VENUS WILLIAMS"