PDA

View Full Version : Martina Ranked 14th in the World.....

LostGlory
May 22nd, 2006, 09:14 AM
Discus......

Coming from No where at the begining of 2006 now Ranked 14th in just 5 months.....I think she qualifies to be one of the legends of the game .......

The_Pov
May 22nd, 2006, 09:15 AM
If it was anyother player I would be surprised but I'm not!

jas_aussie
May 22nd, 2006, 09:20 AM
Well done hingis!!!

per4ever
May 22nd, 2006, 09:21 AM
The best come-back ever ;)

Sam L
May 22nd, 2006, 09:22 AM
The greatest comeback in the history of this sport and perhaps any sport.

Josh.
May 22nd, 2006, 09:23 AM
i rekon that its fantastic.. i love having martina back. i was never a fan of tennis when she was playing so i never knew how much she give to the game.

Daniel
May 22nd, 2006, 09:23 AM
MArtina :worship:

Miranda
May 22nd, 2006, 09:35 AM
its a great comeback, but not the greatest, the greatest comeback in tennis was monica's comeback, she won the first tourney she entered and also a slam in less than 6 months :wavey:

skanky~skanketta
May 22nd, 2006, 09:37 AM
fantastic comeback, but it doesn't beat monica's comeback.

Sam L
May 22nd, 2006, 09:42 AM
Oh yeah, ok second greatest. :angel:

jack daniels
May 22nd, 2006, 09:50 AM

You clearly haven't watched much sport then

rada
May 22nd, 2006, 09:52 AM
well done i'm so happy to see her back at the top off the game :) keep it up

Steffica Greles
May 22nd, 2006, 10:21 AM

I don't think so. Let's not exaggerate, however well she's done.

???

First of all, it depends what you call a comeback. Because if we're talking about only 6 months or over, Steffi Graf made slam-winning comebacks after long injuries many times.

If we're talking year, then what about Monica Seles? She won the Canadian Open for a record loss of games, stretched Graf to the limit in the US Open final, then won Sydney and the Australian Open.

LostGlory
May 22nd, 2006, 10:33 AM
Well Kim had a great come back last year......but I think Monica nd Martinas are equally great considering they were away for at least 3 years......and the game changed even more for Monica......

V-MAC
May 22nd, 2006, 10:38 AM
I'm not too surprised that Martina is doing so well so soon, a player of her calibre only deserves to be ranked right up there ;)

PLP
May 22nd, 2006, 10:39 AM
& the comeback continues!!! Hopefully Martina can have a great showing @ RG and be back in the top 10 for Wimbledon! Go Hingis!!!

LostGlory
May 22nd, 2006, 10:42 AM
I have a feeling she will....I am so glad she got the venus Demon out of her system before RG....that win was really significant for her ......although Venus can hardly be considered match fit having played only 3 tourneys this year.....but like i always say Tennis success is mostly in the mind....if we are talking top notch players....

Martian Stacey
May 22nd, 2006, 11:14 AM
When Martina announced her comeback, i had no idea she would have achieved so much already :worship:

Only a matter of time before we see her back in the top 10 :)

TheBoiledEgg
May 22nd, 2006, 11:17 AM

wrong :p
that happened on 25th May 2005 in Istanbul :worship: :worship:

YNWA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the best 6-7 mins anyone could ask for :angel:

still good to see Martina back ;)

Barlos
May 22nd, 2006, 11:18 AM
Amazing really :) I wonder where she will be at the end of the year? She's on course for around #4 or #5 but if the great performances of the last couple of weeks continue it could be higher.

And to think so many people didn't think she'd even break the top 20 again...

Unbelievable comeback.

Barlos
May 22nd, 2006, 11:20 AM
Only a matter of time before we see her back in the top 10 :)

Quite possibly about 3 weeks... :bounce:

VeeDaQueen
May 22nd, 2006, 11:21 AM
I'm not surprised. She left as one of the greatest, and came back as one of the greatest :)

Johno_uk
May 22nd, 2006, 11:42 AM
Can someone bump up the poll they did, as to Martina's 2006 year end ranking at the end of last year?? Some people thought that she wouldn't even get back in the top 100 :tape:

At present progress and baring injury it looks like it will be top 5, but she can do better, and no. 1 is definetely not impossible!

Go MARTINA!

alfajeffster
May 22nd, 2006, 11:52 AM
I've seen her play a couple of matches (at Indian Wells), and the flashes of her old self are definitely coming through. At Roland Garros, and on red clay anywhere, I think she has a shot against anyone. She'll definintely win against the Davenports/Williams/Sharapova style of play, because she's more crafty and will have time to expose their weaknesses and eventually wear them down, even if they do start out overpowering her. The players she'll have to worry about at Roland Garros are Mauresmo, Henin, and maybe Clijsters. Still, that's 3 out of 128- her chances of doing well in Paris are better than they've been in a long while.

esquímaux
May 22nd, 2006, 12:22 PM
fantastic comeback, but it doesn't beat monica's comeback.monika :hearts: :hearts: ... :sad:

Dani12
May 22nd, 2006, 12:24 PM
She's a true legend!

lolo21
May 22nd, 2006, 12:42 PM
I have a feeling she will....I am so glad she got the venus Demon out of her system before RG....that win was really significant for her ......although Venus can hardly be considered match fit having played only 3 tourneys this year.....but like i always say Tennis success is mostly in the mind....if we are talking top notch players....

completely agree with that :)

i'm sure that deep down,Martina's happiest moment this week was not the fact she won the title but the fact she beat Venus.

Jamie
May 22nd, 2006, 12:47 PM
She is a legend. As young as she still is, she will have more trophys if she stays healthy. WELCOME BACK MARTINA, you were MISSED.

darrinbaker00
May 22nd, 2006, 02:28 PM
There's this guy from Texas who used to ride a bicycle... ;)

fnuf7
May 22nd, 2006, 03:21 PM
Amazing :bounce: She has actually surprised me slightly with her comeback, I didn't expect her to do this well quite this soon, especially considering all the new/stronger players that have emerged since she left. :cool:

Then again I guess you could also say she's had a bit of luck too what with Lindsay, Serena etc being out/not quite on top of their games right now...oh well, still well done Martina! :bounce:

SerenaSlam
May 22nd, 2006, 03:29 PM
she's starting to do what she did when she was number 1....no slams...just tournie wins and semis and finals....@ this rate...since the ranking system hasn't really changed...she could push a good 1 for number 1 or 2....eventually number 1 @ this rate though....the only question is, does she have what it takes to win a slam....b/c I think that most of all is the biggest difference since she left....much harder to play a 7 match grandslam than it was before she left the game...we will see though....so glad 2 see her back...im now only waiting on Serena..

^bibi^
May 22nd, 2006, 03:37 PM
:banana:

alfajeffster
May 22nd, 2006, 03:37 PM
Not only does she have another very real shot at a Roland Garros title, you can bet that there are a couple of top players out there who are hoping they don't see Martina Hingis' name on their side of the draw. Seven matches in a row is tough, to be sure, but her game is complete, and that in and of itself takes a great deal of pressure off as compared to quite a few other players with technical and mental flaws that can (and will) desert them under pressure.

croat123
May 22nd, 2006, 03:40 PM
goran's comeback was better :p

hopp martina :D

RJWCapriati
May 22nd, 2006, 03:40 PM
Such a quick rise!

Geisha
May 22nd, 2006, 03:45 PM

Seles '95.

GrandSlam05
May 22nd, 2006, 03:51 PM
I think Nancy Kerrigan skating the performance of her life and winning the silver (shoulda been gold :o ) at the '94 olympics just a FEW WEEKS after being attacked is the most remarkable comeback in sports.
But Hingi has had a helluva comeback nonetheless.

Kuti Kis&Monica
May 22nd, 2006, 03:52 PM
wrong :p
that happened on 25th May 2005 in Istanbul :worship: :worship:

YNWA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the best 6-7 mins anyone could ask for :angel:

still good to see Martina back ;)

Could you light us up about it ? :angel:

alfajeffster
May 22nd, 2006, 04:31 PM
Personally, I think Gloria Swanson's return to the screen in 1949 to film Sunset Boulevard is the best comeback of them all. She hadn't made a film since 1933, and the picture was a huge success...

Drake1980
May 22nd, 2006, 04:32 PM
She is amazing!!!!

Helen Lawson
May 22nd, 2006, 04:34 PM
I think Nancy Kerrigan skating the performance of her life and winning the silver (shoulda been gold :o ) at the '94 olympics just a FEW WEEKS after being attacked is the most remarkable comeback in sports.
But Hingi has had a helluva comeback nonetheless.

Downtown restaurants.

Helen Lawson
May 22nd, 2006, 04:35 PM
Personally, I think Gloria Swanson's return to the screen in 1949 to film Sunset Boulevard is the best comeback of them all. She hadn't made a film since 1933, and the picture was a huge success...

Well, she was coming back to the millions of fans who had never forgiven her for deserting the screen after all.

LostGlory
May 22nd, 2006, 04:38 PM
There's this guy from Texas who used to ride a bicycle... ;)

I totally agree....Lance's battle with Cancer and his great achievments and will power are hardly matchable.....but still Martina deserves acknowledgment for her gutts....when she ruled the world I did not follow tennis as much as I do now and to be honest she is one smart tennis player on the tour and on top of that she's got an amazing talent.....Martina is simply good for the game.....

alfajeffster
May 22nd, 2006, 04:49 PM
Well, she was coming back to the millions of fans who had never forgiven her for deserting the screen after all.

If only someone like Martina Hingis would just come out in a press conference and say "I am big. It's the pictures that got small."

TonyP
May 22nd, 2006, 04:49 PM
Helen, you crack me up. What's the best line from that movie? William Holden: "People don't know anyone writes movies. The audience thinks the actors make up the dialogue as they go along." (or something like that.) One of Billy Wilder's true masterpieces.

I incidentally less than a year ago saw "On the Rocks," the only picture Swanson and Rudolph Valentino ever made together.

Helen Lawson
May 22nd, 2006, 04:52 PM
Helen, you crack me up. What's the best line from that movie? William Holden: "People don't know anyone writes movies. The audience thinks the actors make up the dialogue as they go along." (or something like that.) One of Billy Wilder's true masterpieces.

I incidentally less than a year ago saw "On the Rocks," the only picture Swanson and Rudolph Valentino ever made together.

I think it's his best work, certainly my favorite of them all. Every scene is a classic.

Helen Lawson
May 22nd, 2006, 04:53 PM
If only someone like Martina Hingis would just come out in a press conference and say "I am big. It's the pictures that got small."

I think she's the closest who would say it, and it's pretty accurate.

I didn't get to watch the match, but a "friend" watched it and said that Martina told Kat after the match that so many of the players "have technical deficiencies in their games today."

alfajeffster
May 22nd, 2006, 04:55 PM
"In one week she received ten thousand fan letters. There was a maharaja who came all the way from India to beg one of her silk stockings. He later strangled himself with it."

TonyP
May 22nd, 2006, 04:56 PM
Serenaslam
she's starting to do what she did when she was number 1....no slams...just tournie wins and semis and finals....@ this rate...since the ranking system hasn't really changed...she could push a good 1 for number 1 or 2....eventually number 1 @ this rate though....the only question is, does she have what it takes to win a slam....b/c I think that most of all is the biggest difference since she left....much harder to play a 7 match grandslam than it was before she left the game...we will see though....so glad 2 see her back...im now only waiting on Serena..

Hello, she just won six matches in a row in the space of seven days, when during a slam you only play seven matches over a period of two weeks.

And what do you mean "no slams?" There has only been one slam since her comeback. How can you possibly predict what she will do in the future? Based on the peope she has already beaten, Davenport, Kuznetsova, Sharapova, Dementieva and some player named Williams, she has already shown she can handle anybody in the game. And they are "second week" caliber opponents. She is already in form where she is eating first week opponents for breakfast.

Anybody who is now ready to bet against Hingis winning another slam is going to lose some money.

Helen Lawson
May 22nd, 2006, 04:56 PM
"There aaarrre no other guests!"

mdsc8
May 22nd, 2006, 04:57 PM
Martina is truly amazing!!!

alfajeffster
May 22nd, 2006, 04:58 PM
I think she's the closest who would say it, and it's pretty accurate.

I didn't get to watch the match, but a "friend" watched it and said that Martina told Kat after the match that so many of the players "have technical deficiencies in their games today."

I remember back in the late 80s and for a couple of years in the 90s, ESPN delayed televising the Italian for a week. I actually recorded the 94 Martinez/Navratilova final by mistake, because I stumbled on the airing a week after it was played (same with Sampras/Ivanisevic). I'm hoping they do that this weekend, but what I'd really like to see is the Venus/Martina match. Fat chance.

alfajeffster
May 22nd, 2006, 05:00 PM
"I've got oil wells in Bakersfield, pumping and pumping. What's if for but to get us anything we want..."

LostGlory
May 22nd, 2006, 05:00 PM
I remember back in the late 80s and for a couple of years in the 90s, ESPN delayed televising the Italian for a week. I actually recorded the 94 Martinez/Navratilova final by mistake, because I stumbled on the airing a week after it was played (same with Sampras/Ivanisevic). I'm hoping they do that this weekend, but what I'd really like to see is the Venus/Martina match. Fat chance.

The best match this year was the Safina/Kuznetsova and Oprandi/Kuznetsova....the first one was top notch tennis,

TonyP
May 22nd, 2006, 05:03 PM
What happened is that Brian WEbber, the male commentator on TTC, said Hingis had made that statement --so many of the girls have technical deficiencies today and Kat Adams jumped in and said "She is absolutely right."

I think they are both right. Joel Drucker even recently advanced the theory that the Williams sisters (and in my view, probably lots of others) are injured so often because of poor mechanics in their strokes, often just muscling balls over and not stroking the ball properly. And that is just the mechanical. Tactical deficiencies are grown immensely in recent years, because the girls rely too much on power.

Helen Lawson
May 22nd, 2006, 05:04 PM
"You there! Why are you so late? Why have you kept me waiting?"

alfajeffster
May 22nd, 2006, 05:11 PM
What happened is that Brian WEbber, the male commentator on TTC, said Hingis had made that statement --so many of the girls have technical deficiencies today and Kat Adams jumped in and said "She is absolutely right."

I think they are both right. Joel Drucker even recently advanced the theory that the Williams sisters (and in my view, probably lots of others) are injured so often because of poor mechanics in their strokes, often just muscling balls over and not stroking the ball properly. And that is just the mechanical. Tactical deficiencies are grown immensely in recent years, because the girls rely too much on power.

I couldn't agree more. Even a player like Justine Henin-Hardenne (whom I admire very much as a player) has that mindset that first opportunity to hit a screaming winner is the way to go, and she ends up (although far less than either Williams or quite a few other players) making too many unforced errors. This is why I think Justine does so well on clay. She has more time to deal with all the heat, and uses her head more than most players to maneuver taller more powerful opponents out of position. There was really no plan B for Mary Pierce to go to last year that Justine couldn't cover or adjust to such that Mary played Justine's game virtually from start to finish. Even if she would've had one of those rare Scary Mary days she sometimes enjoys, I think Justine would've worn her out with superior movement and variety of shot selection. This is why Hingis has such a great chance this year. She's shown she's capable of keeping her unforced errors down to half of most of her opponents staggering figures.

alfajeffster
May 22nd, 2006, 05:19 PM
"words, words, WORDS! You've made a rope of words to strangle this business! And technicolor to photograph the red swollen tongue!"

Dawn Marie
May 22nd, 2006, 05:22 PM
Serenaslam

Hello, she just one six matches in a row in the space of seven days, when during a slam you only play seven matches over a period of two weeks.

And what do you mean "no slams?" There has only been one slam since her comeback. How can you possibly predict what she will do in the future? Based on the peope she has already beaten, Davenport, Kuznetsova, Sharapova, Dementieva and some player named Williams, she has already shown she can handle anybody in the game. And they are "second week" caliber opponents. She is already in form where she is eating first week opponents for breakfast.

Anybody who is now ready to bet against Hingis winning another slam is going to lose some money.

She hasn't played Serena yet. Hahahah. LOL

Well Hingis is where she should be at in the rankings and this win is not surprising to tennis. Hingis's game is MADE FOR CLAY is BUILT AROUND CLAY. Just because she hasn't won RG doesn't mean anything. She SHOULD HAVE WON but lost because of her head. I am not surprised that Hingis won Rome and is going into RG as a favorite. Although I am still not sure about her chances of winning a slam this year. RG is by far going to be her best bet in her tennis years.

GO HINGIS! I am loving this comeback.

Helen Lawson
May 22nd, 2006, 05:24 PM
"No one ever leaves a star. That's what makes one a star."

alfajeffster
May 22nd, 2006, 05:42 PM
Stop that playing Max!

Helen Lawson
May 22nd, 2006, 05:56 PM
What is it, Max? You know better than to interrupt me!

alfajeffster
May 22nd, 2006, 06:05 PM
Of course it's important. Important enough for him to pick up the phone himself. The very idea of having an assistant call me. Tell him I'm busy, and hang up!

TonyP
May 22nd, 2006, 06:06 PM
Yes, I think "Sunset Boulevard" is a truly great film, although for my money, Wilder's best was "Double Indemnity." Do you all know that Louis B. Mayer hated "Sunset" and told Wilder he was a traitor to Hollywood for making it? Wilder told him to go F-- himself. Anyway,the ending of "Sunset" is masterful. "I'm ready for my close up" has actually become part of our vocabulary. Gloria advancing toward the camera like a high priestess (or one of the temple virgins in "Intolerance") is among the greatest shots in movie history. It ranks right up there with Jimmy Cagney dying on the church steps in "the Roaring Twenties" and Louise Brooks' immortal death scene in "Prix de Beaute" (which only just recently came out on DVD.)

Helen Lawson
May 22nd, 2006, 06:09 PM
Of course it's important. Important enough for him to pick up the phone himself. The very idea of having an assistant call me. Tell him I'm busy, and hang up!

I've used that one at work a few times. What fun is great cinema if you can't work it into every day life?

"And must you chew gum?"

alfajeffster
May 22nd, 2006, 06:12 PM
Yes, I think "Sunset Boulevard" is a truly great film, although for my money, Wilder's best was "Double Indemnity." Do you all know that Louis B. Mayer hated "Sunset" and told Wilder he was a traitor to Hollywood for making it? Wilder told him to go F-- himself. Anyway,the ending of "Sunset" is masterful. "I'm ready for my close up" has actually become part of our vocabulary. Gloria advancing toward the camera like a high priestess (or one of the temple virgins in "Intolerance") is among the greatest shots in movie history. It ranks right up there with Jimmy Cagney dying on the church steps in "the Roaring Twenties" and Louise Brooks' immortal death scene in "Prix de Beaute" (which only just recently came out on DVD.)

I did know that about LBM, but I've never seen "Intolerance". Wasn't that a D.W. Griffith pic with one (or both) of the Gish sisters? I've seen Gloria in Male and Female (which I highly recommend- it's great), and Sadie Thompson, which I totally love. I also used to have a copy of Queen Kelly a few years ago, but didn't much care for that as not all of the footage survived, so there are big chunks of movie missing where they have to give you a black screen with dialogue for continuity. Did you know the scene from Boulevard where Norma is screening one of her old films is from Queen Kelly?

alfajeffster
May 22nd, 2006, 06:13 PM
"And must you chew gum?"

:haha: I'd forgotten about that one!

alfajeffster
May 22nd, 2006, 06:14 PM
"and that shirt is dreadful."

"what's wrong with it?"

"Nothing, if you work at a filling station."

TonyP
May 22nd, 2006, 06:15 PM
The Rome tournament was very important for Hingis, since it not only gave her a win over Venus, but it also proved her ability and mental strength to come back from behind. And the win yesterday over Safina was important because Hingis got tight at the end, but was still able on the second try to serve out the match --evening coming back from love-40 to serve out the match.

And she now has those "first title" jitters over of the way. She has proven to herself that she can win titles again and I think that over the course of the rest of the year and next year, the tennis world is going to be amazed at what she wins.

There simply are very few all court players out there and Hingis has been proving that when she is in the all court mode, she is a force of nature.

Helen Lawson
May 22nd, 2006, 06:21 PM

I love Double Indemnity, too. I had forgotten that was Billy Wilder. For some reason, there's like a stange, almost bootleg version on DVD on ebay, but there's not real new DVD for it, which is really frustrating because I don't buy tapes anymore.

alfajeffster
May 22nd, 2006, 06:22 PM
I actually think Martina plays better on grass than on clay. The lower, faster bounce feeds right into her strike zone on grass, and actually sharpens her compact stroke production more. She doesn't generate as much power as many other players, but her reaction time is much faster, whereas on clay, the ball sits up longer and has given bigger players like Seles and Pierce, neither of whom are the best movers, more time to set up and take a whack at the Hingis ball. I'd like to see a Henin/Hingis match on grass, personally.

TonyP
May 22nd, 2006, 06:23 PM
Right, I did know that. Queen Kelly was directed by Eric von STroheim, his last directing effort in America. He had initially made it this unbelieveably long mess that the Hays office would have never let get on the screen. Swanson pulled the plug on his work, calling Joe Kennedy in Florida and getting him to fire Von STroheim, which is of course what makes his role as Gloria's chauffeur in "Sunset" such a fabulous story. Joe Kennedy was "Dating" Gloria at the time, even though he was of course married to his wife, Rose. Anyone wonder why Jack Kennedy was such a playboy?

Joe Kennedy, incidentally, had been in Hollywood initially to set up the financing to launch RKO Radio Pictures.

And yes, "Intolerance" was Griffith's masterpice which he made to silence the critics who had blasted him as a racist after "Birth of a Nation."

The movie's most famous scene is this amazing aerial that slowly draws in on the temple of Bablyon, as priestesses walk down the steps. It was Hollywood's first crane shot, except there were no cranes back then, so they constructed an elevator shaft that was mounted on a railway track and moved the camera down as the elevator was being pushed forward on the track. "They had ingenuity then!" to quote somebody.

alfajeffster
May 22nd, 2006, 06:28 PM
Right, I did know that. Queen Kelly was directed by Eric von STroheim, his last directing effort in America. He had initially made it this unbelieveably long mess that the Hays office would have never let get on the screen. Swanson pulled the plug on his work, calling Joe Kennedy in Florida and getting him to fire Von STroheim, which is of course what makes his role as Gloria's chauffeur in "Sunset" such a fabulous story. Joe Kennedy was "Dating" Gloria at the time, even though he was of course married to his wife, Rose. Anyone wonder why Jack Kennedy was such a playboy?

Joe Kennedy, incidentally, had been in Hollywood initially to set up the financing to launch RKO Radio Pictures.

And yes, "Intolerance" was Griffith's masterpice which he made to silence the critics who had blasted him as a racist after "Birth of a Nation."

The movie's most famous scene is this amazing aerial that slowly draws in on the temple of Bablyon, as priestesses walk down the steps. It was Hollywood's first crane shot, except there were no cranes back then, so they constructed an elevator shaft that was mounted on a railway track and moved the camera down as the elevator was being pushed forward on the track. "They had ingenuity then!" to quote somebody.

Have you ever seen DeMille's "Male and Female" (1919)?

TonyP
May 22nd, 2006, 06:29 PM
I agree. I think that Martina is once again going to be a force at Wimbledon. For my money, she has the best hands in tennis and although she says her net game has been the slowest to come back, it sure didn't look that way yesterday. The only thing that has ever held her back is her size. She may not be a very formidable presence at net, but she has the best volleys in the game and she knows where to direct them.

For Martina, key is having the attacking mind set, which she had yesterday in spades. If she brings that to Wimbledon in the next couple of years, there's no limit to how far she can go in the tournament.

TonyP
May 22nd, 2006, 06:36 PM
No, only a couple of clips from it. Actually, I would love to see it, though. I am not particularly a DeMille fan, although I recognize the importance of his work. Interestingly, he used to call Gloria "young fella" all the time, just as he did in "Sunset." But DeMille, in my view, was a director mostly concerned with visuals. He was notorious for telling his actors "I'm paying you top dollar, I expect you to act." But they could never get out of him what it was he exactly wanted from them in any specific scene. Many directors fall into the same trap and it is rare in my view that you find a director who is great at visuals and directing actors at the same time. Speilberg is the greatest modern day example. He can compose a frame like nobody's business, but he usually falls short in getting performances out of his stars.

In the day, nobody was better at both than Murnau, Fox's "German genius." "Sunrise may be the best silent ever made and ranks in my mind in the top ten pictures ever made of any kind.

alfajeffster
May 22nd, 2006, 06:45 PM
I've never seen "Sunrise", but would love to. One of my all-time favorite actresses is Greta Garbo, and the first take she did of the Anna Karenina story, simply titled "Love" is breathtaking. I can't remember who directed it, but it may have been Ernst Lubich. If you've never seen it, by all means do. I also liked Lillian Gish quite a bit, and the film "The Wind" is pretty good. Which was the Griffith film with the two Gish sisters in it- was that "Intolerance" or "Way Down East"? I'd also like to get ahold of some of the Marie Dressler silents. It's such a shame that more isn't being done to salvage what little that hasn't deteriorated from those film cannisters.

This is so cool to actually talk to someone else here on the board who likes silent films and can discuss them intelligently!

TonyP
May 22nd, 2006, 07:17 PM
"Love" was directed by Eddie Goulding ("Grand Hotel.") Garbo was amazing. Interestingly enough, I think she was the greatest example of what has come to be known as a "Movie star," and everyone knows who she is. It is hard to comprehend how big a star she was. Her last picture was made in '41 (Two Faced Woman," which flopped. ) She never made another film and gave only a handful of interviews from that point on. Yet when she died, almost half a century later, her obit was on the front page of almost every newspaper in the world. There is nobody today who touches her.

alfajeffster
May 22nd, 2006, 07:32 PM
"Love" was directed by Eddie Goulding ("Grand Hotel.") Garbo was amazing. Interestingly enough, I think she was the greatest example of what has come to be known as a "Movie star," and everyone knows who she is. It is hard to comprehend how big a star she was. Her last picture was made in '41 (Two Faced Woman," which flopped. ) She never made another film and gave only a handful of interviews from that point on. Yet when she died, almost half a century later, her obit was on the front page of almost every newspaper in the world. There is nobody today who touches her.

I tried to watch Two Faced Woman once, but (and this is odd for me, as I'm such a fan of Garbo) couldn't finish it- it was that awful. I read somewhere that she only did it out of her admiration (may have been more) for Melvyn Douglas. My favorite films she did were Love, Anna Christie (the scenes with Dressler are amazing), Mata Hari, Camille, and Ninotchka. I always wished she did more, or made that comeback, but she just wasn't the typical movie star or actress. She was actually one of the highest IQs in Hollywood, and it comes through loud and clear. It's also interesting to see her on screen with Clark Gable. Most of Gable's girls were just that- window dressing for the King, but Garbo plays just as strongly, and even stronger in nearly all of their scenes together, and you just know the audience is watching her, and not him.

manu32
May 22nd, 2006, 08:00 PM
she was better without doubt a few years ago (see videos) but wta is a desert now (williams,belgians,jen cap,lindsay etc....) russians ???? so she has a good chance to get top 10

go hingis
May 24th, 2006, 02:42 AM
A true legend!

Zauber
May 24th, 2006, 04:18 AM
if you just count the points since the beginnig of the year for everyone, then she is about fifth I think. (got to double check that)
I think that is a much fairer comparison.

Jamie
May 24th, 2006, 04:24 AM
I won't be surprised if Martina isn't #1 or #2 by the end of the year. She is that good!!!!

drake3781
May 24th, 2006, 04:26 AM
Martina is doing great !!Nice to see somebody come back and take things seriously !! :wavey: