PDA

View Full Version : Is clay the only surface Martina can possiby beat Venus on, from now on

Viktymise
May 21st, 2006, 05:50 PM
Not a bashing thread, but i was just thinking that Martina definatley will from now on have her best chances of beating venus when on a clay court, i mean on grass she has little or no chance of beating vee unless she played out of her mind and vee played poor, on hardcourts she would have a better shot but venus would have the advantage of faster courts and martina wouldnt be able to drag her into long rallies and coax more and more errors out of her and carpet would be a similar situation, really only on clay is where they would be evenly matches but vee has already showed she can beat martina on clay in a fairly easy match and another tight match what does every1 else think :)

LoveFifteen
May 21st, 2006, 05:58 PM
In short .... no.

j@zmin
May 21st, 2006, 05:59 PM
Not a bashing thread, but i was just thinking that Martina definatley will from now on have her best chances of beating venus when on a clay court, i mean on grass she has little or no chance of beating vee unless she played out of her mind and vee played poor, on hardcourts she would have a better shot but venus would have the advantage of faster courts and martina wouldnt be able to drag her into long rallies and coax more and more errors out of her and carpet would be a similar situation, really only on clay is where they would be evenly matches but vee has already showed she can beat martina on clay in a fairly easy match and another tight match what does every1 else think :)

We have to wait and see. I think she can beat her in any surface, but also Venus can beat Martina in any surface. Of course, Venus is the favourite on grass, but Martina has an advantage on rebound ace surface. Not many players have beat her in the Australian Open (since 1997 just Lindsay, Jennifer and Kim). There she beat Serena (QF) and Venus (SF) in 2001.

xin_hui
May 21st, 2006, 05:59 PM
No

JulesVerne
May 21st, 2006, 06:02 PM
No.
Martina's early ball stroke play and excellent volley skills are more suited to fast courts.

Viktymise
May 21st, 2006, 06:04 PM
No.
Martina's early ball stroke play and excellent volley skills are more suited to fast courts.
Yes but so are venus's which will become much more effective

Vincent
May 21st, 2006, 06:07 PM
I do think that Martina is just capable of beating Venus on any surface, in short.

liuxuan
May 21st, 2006, 06:11 PM
definately on rebound ace and clay, Martina has a better chance, unless Venus is in the zone for the whole match.

Grass is too favoured to Venus' game. Their Wimbledon 2000 quarter final was probably the best ive ever seen Martina play, but it just wasnt quite enough.

fast hardcourts favour Venus too.

borisy
May 21st, 2006, 06:12 PM
No.

Louis Cyphre
May 21st, 2006, 06:12 PM
we`ll see

Babolatpro880
May 21st, 2006, 06:20 PM
I thought this thread was mocking the other one by a Hingis fan until I actually read it :o

Because it's absolutely ridiculous.

CrossCourt~Rally
May 21st, 2006, 06:26 PM
Hopefully we'll find out soon enough :devil:

hollywood7172
May 21st, 2006, 06:39 PM
seriously, williams fans bashing martina (or vice versa) is SO 2002.

Martian KC
May 21st, 2006, 06:44 PM
Eh. First they didn't think Marti could beat them ever aggain and now when she does, they think she can only beat them on clay? Eh.

Bring it on.

VeeReeDavJCap81
May 21st, 2006, 06:44 PM
No, they are both capable of beating the other on any surface...which is what makes the rivaly so interesting.

fammmmedspin
May 21st, 2006, 06:52 PM
No, they are both capable of beating the other on any surface...which is what makes the rivaly so interesting.

Add to which martina is more likely to actually get to the position where she might play Venus.

BEEILOVEYA
May 21st, 2006, 07:22 PM
No.

spencercarlos
May 21st, 2006, 07:24 PM
Since 2004 clay is Venus second best surface no?...
Ok i take it Hingis can beat Venus on her second best surface :bounce:

spencercarlos
May 21st, 2006, 07:25 PM
Eh. First they didn't think Marti could beat them ever aggain and now when she does, they think she can only beat them on clay? Eh.

Bring it on.
you know how Venus fans are :lol: poor them, they are not dealing the best way with yesterday´s match :lol:

spencercarlos
May 21st, 2006, 07:27 PM
definately on rebound ace and clay, Martina has a better chance, unless Venus is in the zone for the whole match.

Grass is too favoured to Venus' game. Their Wimbledon 2000 quarter final was probably the best ive ever seen Martina play, but it just wasnt quite enough.

fast hardcourts favour Venus too.
Wim 2000 the best ever match from Martina? :lol: now that was a good one.

Cat's Pajamas
May 21st, 2006, 07:29 PM
Venus and Martina can beat each other on any surface. Hingis has the edge on clay and rebound ace and venus has the edge on grass and hardcourts. But sometimes it just doesn't matter, it all depends on who is having a more on day ex: Yesterday

Lulu.
May 21st, 2006, 07:31 PM
Who knows...It all depends on how Venus plays that day

esquímaux
May 21st, 2006, 07:31 PM
we`ll seeAs always :lol: :D

Pheobo
May 21st, 2006, 07:33 PM
Did someone provoke you into making this thread? It's pretty stupid.

Only time will tell.

Aaron.
May 21st, 2006, 07:42 PM
Did someone provoke you into making this thread? It's pretty stupid.

Only time will tell. :confused:

G1Player2
May 21st, 2006, 08:58 PM
Martina takes the ball EXTREMELY early so Martina's best chance to beat Venus is actually on a medium to faster surface. Venus has always been competetive with Martina on clay. Always. Venus's worst losses came to Hingis on a hardcourt. Hingis netskills, volleying, and supreme anticipation can't be fully executed on a slow claycourt.

Il Primo!
May 21st, 2006, 09:06 PM
Don't really know...It depends upon Venus,if she's in a good day,whatever the surface she kicks Mart's ass. If Vee is on a bad day,Marti beats her,it works like that I suppose :unsure:

anlavalle
May 21st, 2006, 09:11 PM
this is a bashing thread without a doubt

Viktymise
May 21st, 2006, 09:14 PM
you know how Venus fans are :lol: poor them, they are not dealing the best way with yesterday´s match :lol:
Eh vee played a bad match yesterday and in warsaw vee could barley walk but still managed to beat hingis, the next time they play vee will have learned from her mistakes and hingis wont get nearly as many chances, just look at what happens to alot of players after they beat a william sister they get a royal beatdown plus every1 knows that venus's 2 best surfaces are grass and hardcourts, she just had a hot 2004 clay court season

vogus
May 21st, 2006, 09:55 PM

No. Surface is not that important in the Hingis-Williams matchup. They can both beat each other on any surface depending on the day.

K-Dog
May 21st, 2006, 10:00 PM
no. quit looking so desperate Williams fans. Hingis is a great player. Venus is a great player. Venus can make tons of errors on any surface and Martina has proven to be able to adapt to each surface throughout her career.

cartmancop
May 21st, 2006, 10:01 PM
I think they can beat each other on every surface. except maybe grass...

K-Dog
May 21st, 2006, 10:05 PM
I think they can beat each other on every surface. except maybe grass...

probably, but that Wimbledon 2000 match between the two keeps re-appearing in my head on how close Hingis was to beating Venus that day.

new-york
May 21st, 2006, 10:07 PM
no. quit looking so desperate Williams fans. Hingis is a great player. Venus is a great player. Venus can make tons of errors on any surface and Martina has proven to be able to adapt to each surface throughout her career.

ditts.

WhatTheDeuce
May 21st, 2006, 10:09 PM
In short .... no.
Agreed.

On grass though, I don't see Martina winning... but she's been close before so who knows. :shrug:

Dumb thread question to begin with.

flyingmachine
May 21st, 2006, 10:10 PM
No. Surface is not that important in the Hingis-Williams matchup. They can both beat each other on any surface depending on the day.
I agree both players have the similar favourite surface. So surface don't mean much for both players in terms of their rivialy. It sounds like the rivialies are started all over again. :devil:

Timariot
May 21st, 2006, 10:13 PM
Surface matters not. Because
-Venus is not so bad on clay
-hardcourts are actually Martina's best surface.

le bon vivant
May 21st, 2006, 10:59 PM

Bring it on.

LOL@ "them". The thread title says Venus.

Barlos
May 21st, 2006, 11:08 PM
Obviously no because Martina would have the edge on Rebound Ace anyway...

It was interesting yesterday to see Martina attacking Venus more, going for her shots rather than waiting for errors as was the case in Warsaw. I'm sure it's her greater confidence that's allowing her to play this way. Martina is playing beautiful tennis, fantastic to watch and it's proving to beat extremely effective. If the good form continues she could beat Venus on any surface.

At the same time Venus can beat Martina on any surface. A great rivalry for sure.

~Cherry*Blossom~
May 21st, 2006, 11:11 PM
depends on the mood Venus is in .

LoveFifteen
May 21st, 2006, 11:15 PM

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Reuchlin
May 21st, 2006, 11:19 PM
If venus can lose to that Chick she lost to at the Aussie Open this year--- and Serena can lose to Crybas on grass---I think Hingis can beat them on anything.

Reuchlin
May 21st, 2006, 11:20 PM
also depends on what mood Martina is in. 6-1 6-1 win at the Australian Open rings a bell. :tape: :tape: :tape:

LoveFifteen
May 21st, 2006, 11:25 PM
Both Venus and Martina have game. Their matches are often very tight. Both players should receive respect.

Kworb
May 21st, 2006, 11:30 PM
Martina can beat Venus on any surface

PLP
May 21st, 2006, 11:34 PM
Yes but so are venus's which will become much more effective
Marti is much better at the net...technically, However Venus is a force to be reckoned with up there, she uses her height and long reach to great advantage so they are about even up there, unless it is a high pressure volley...then 99% of the time I would pick Hingis becasue she stays so cool up there...

The long of it (WILL Hingis beat Vee, othe r than clay), this is how I see it...majors represents respective surface

AO: Martina is so great on Rebound Ace, edge to Hingis
RG: Slight edge to Martina, though Venus plays really well on clay
WIMBY: Edge to Venus, though Marti's game is great for the grass if she stays aggressive,but that is hard to do against Venus on grass
US: Unlike AO Somehow this HC favors Venus a bit but plus homecourt advantage, slight edge to Venus
YEC: Martina has won the YEC 2X, including beating Venus and she is absurdly good on carpet, edge to Hingis

The rivalry will continue>P

switz
May 21st, 2006, 11:42 PM
clearly Venus playing her peak on faster surfaces would be too much for Hingis on most days but the reality is that Hingis is more likely to reproduce her better form than Venus is these days so she's going to go into any match on any surface with a realistic chance.

From memory the last time they played away from clay Hingis won 6-1, 6-1 (i could have got the years mixed up though because i am quite stupid :) )

le bon vivant
May 21st, 2006, 11:47 PM
clearly Venus playing her peak on faster surfaces would be too much for Hingis on most days but the reality is that Hingis is more likely to reproduce her better form than Venus is these days so she's going to go into any match on any surface with a realistic chance.

From memory the last time they played away from clay Hingis won 6-1, 6-1 (i could have got the years mixed up though because i am quite stupid :) )

Nope.
2001 Miami - Venus won 6-3, 7-6(6)

IceHock
May 21st, 2006, 11:48 PM
yes she can beat venus on any surface if she plays her best even grass because it speeds up her shots.

Jum_p_Over
May 21st, 2006, 11:59 PM
No, Venus is only the favorite on grass and maybe faster hardcourts/carpet

starr
May 22nd, 2006, 12:06 AM
Venus doesn't have great results on carpet. She generally avoids carpet, doesn't she?

junlee_vee
May 22nd, 2006, 12:35 AM

Way to generalize all of us. :rolleyes:

excitement1995
May 22nd, 2006, 01:19 AM
People (some Venus fans) need to realize Martina happened to beat Venus on clay not because she's only capable of doing it on this surface, but because Venus chose to return during clay season. Get smarter :lol:

I can see this thread get bumped sometime later and the thread started get embarrassed.

spencercarlos
May 22nd, 2006, 02:13 AM
Way to generalize all of us. :rolleyes:
Sorry, i know some of you have been gracious towards the match and some have recognized Martina´s abilities as a player and as a champion that she is.

mdsc8
May 22nd, 2006, 02:18 AM
it depends on the determination they have.. Martina's determination to win can trouble anyone.. SO the answer is ABSOLUTELY NO!

pcrtennis
May 22nd, 2006, 02:36 AM
I think Venus will dominate on other surfaces but it wont be easy...

Kenny
May 22nd, 2006, 02:57 AM
I would say it would all depend on if the Venus is there that only hits errors or the Venus that only hits winners. lol

TonyP
May 22nd, 2006, 03:02 AM
Martina can beat Venus on clay, on grass, on hard court, on carpet, on glass, on sand, on rubber, on tile, on wood, probably on an active earthquake fault.

What the heck are you talking about? They might have a nice rivalry now, if Venus shows some consistancy.

go hingis
May 22nd, 2006, 04:47 AM
Who defeated Venus on Hard Courts at this year AO?

What's Martina's record at AO?

What's Martina's fave surface?

Answer: No, Martina can possibly win on any surface, including Venus's backyard.

ZeroSOFInfinity
May 22nd, 2006, 04:55 AM
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

You are obviously underestimating Martina.

G1Player2
May 22nd, 2006, 04:58 AM
Martina can beat Venus on clay, on grass, on hard court, on carpet, on glass, on sand, on rubber, on tile, on wood, probably on an active earthquake fault.

What the heck are you talking about? They might have a nice rivalry now, if Venus shows some consistancy.

The same thing could be said about Venus chances against Martina, correct?

I will say this, however. Hingis can beat Venus on any surface, but Venus chances of beating Hingis on a slow claycourt or rebound ace, are MUCH higher than Hingis beating Venus on grass.

excitement1995
May 22nd, 2006, 05:40 AM
It's just that nobody asked the stupid question regarding Venus' chances against Martina. :lol:

The same thing could be said about Venus chances against Martina, correct?

I will say this, however. Hingis can beat Venus on any surface, but Venus chances of beating Hingis on a slow claycourt or rebound ace, are MUCH higher than Hingis beating Venus on grass.

G1Player2
May 22nd, 2006, 05:45 AM
It's just that nobody asked the stupid question regarding Venus' chances against Martina. :lol:

What?! :retard:

excitement1995
May 22nd, 2006, 05:54 AM
Nobody asked the question: Is grass the only surface Venus can possiby beat Martina on?

I hope I don't need to elaborate like this every time I reply ur posts. :cool:

What?! :retard:

G1Player2
May 22nd, 2006, 06:06 AM
Nobody asked the question: Is grass the only surface Venus can possiby beat Martina on?

I hope I don't need to elaborate like this every time I reply ur posts. :cool:

What are you talking about?! All I said is that Venus beating Hingis on clay is ALOT more likely than Hingis beating or even being competetive with Venus on a grass court. I don't see what is so hard to understand about that. :retard:

excitement1995
May 22nd, 2006, 06:18 AM
You said "The same thing could be said about Venus chances against Martina, correct?" while nobody asked anything regarding Venus chances against Martina.:)

And I wasn't commenting on your statement below. I actually don't agree with it.

What are you talking about?! All I said is that Venus beating Hingis on clay is ALOT more likely than Hingis beating or even being competetive with Venus on a grass court. I don't see what is so hard to understand about that. :retard:

G1Player2
May 22nd, 2006, 06:24 AM
You said "The same thing could be said about Venus chances against Martina, correct?" while nobody asked anything regarding Venus chances against Martina.:)

:retard: I was making a comparison

And I'm not commenting on your statement below. I actually don't agree with it.

You are VERY delusional to think that Hingis has a better shot at beating Venus on grass than Venus betaing Hingis on a claycourt.

monicain
May 22nd, 2006, 07:25 AM
Now I know how badly Williams fans are hurt...lol
blah blah blah...and so on. <yawn>

Hingie
May 22nd, 2006, 08:18 AM

I think that if this was your attempt to remain objective and ask a logical question, then you would have to do some serious editing to your original post!

"Already showed she can beat martina on clay in a fairly easy match". If you are referring to the 3 set match at Warsaw i would hardly call this easy.

I also think that certain Williams fans are living in a world of their own. Yes Vee contributed to her own demise in Rome but the way you speak suggests Marti has nothing to do with the result of their matches which is a load of bull! When she plays aggressive and keeps Vee out of her comfort zone, Vee may come up with the error but it's a forced error and a direct result of Marti's play - get a grip!

Viktymise
May 22nd, 2006, 10:40 AM
I think that if this was your attempt to remain objective and ask a logical question, then you would have to do some serious editing to your original post!

"Already showed she can beat martina on clay in a fairly easy match". If you are referring to the 3 set match at Warsaw i would hardly call this easy.

I also think that certain Williams fans are living in a world of their own. Yes Vee contributed to her own demise in Rome but the way you speak suggests Marti has nothing to do with the result of their matches which is a load of bull! When she plays aggressive and keeps Vee out of her comfort zone, Vee may come up with the error but it's a forced error and a direct result of Marti's play - get a grip!
No i was talking about hamburg 02 actually were vee woni straight sets, and the parts of the match i saw the 2nd and 3rd sets vee was just spraying errors particularly near the end of the match, if she have kept her errors down just a slight bit more i think she would have won

V-MAC
May 22nd, 2006, 11:20 AM
like people have already mentioned, I think at this stage, the type of court is completely irrelevant more or less - it is a complete mental battle when those two play each other now ;)

Corswandt
May 22nd, 2006, 12:51 PM
Is clay the only surface Martina can possiby beat Venus on, from now on

It's unbelievable - you just keep playing into your opponents' hands.

You can be sure many Chucky fans have bookmarked this thread and will bump it as soon as Hingis beats Venus on grass or hardcourt just to laugh at you.

Viktymise
May 22nd, 2006, 02:20 PM

You can be sure many Chucky fans have bookmarked this thread and will bump it as soon as Hingis beats Venus on grass or hardcourt just to laugh at you.
And if hingis never beats vee again i will bump this thread up :)

vogus
May 22nd, 2006, 02:26 PM

whatever, he's a troll, he's not one of the real Venus fans.

jj74
May 22nd, 2006, 02:39 PM

I totally agree with you, and the come back of both make the circuit a lot more interesting

TonyP
May 22nd, 2006, 02:59 PM
Would you honestly say that Venus has a better chance of beating Hingis at the Australian Open, in light of their past records there or of their current form? As I remember it, Hingis won that tournament three times, Venus never won it. Hingis and Venus met there once and Hingis came away a 6-1, 6-1 winner. And this year, Venus lost there first round, while Hingis lost in the quarter finals.

G1Player2
May 22nd, 2006, 03:07 PM
Would you honestly say that Venus has a better chance of beating Hingis at the Australian Open, in light of their past records there or of their current form? As I remember it, Hingis won that tournament three times, Venus never won it. Hingis and Venus met there once and Hingis came away a 6-1, 6-1 winner. And this year, Venus lost there first round, while Hingis lost in the quarter finals.

Yes, I am saying that considering that last tme Hingis played on the grass she went out 1st round as well to a player whose best surface is clay. Also, Hingis lost to Kim Clijsters who hit something like 70 UE's and was by far her worst match of that tournament. Kim didn't do anything in that match that Venus couldn't do except for her backhand to just completely go away, something that rarely happens to Venus.

excitement1995
May 22nd, 2006, 03:08 PM
I was making a comparison

A meaningless one.

You are VERY delusional to think that Hingis has a better shot at beating Venus on grass than Venus betaing Hingis on a claycourt.

You are very delusional to think Venus has a huge advantage on grass while their only encounter on grass was like 3:6, 6:4, 4:6.

alex14
May 22nd, 2006, 03:09 PM
we are just going to have to wait and see!

Viktymise
May 22nd, 2006, 03:13 PM
whatever, he's a troll, he's not one of the real Venus fans.
Im more of a vee fan than u will ever be, at least i gave an opinion instead of sitting on the fence bein afraid of what people would say, how am i a troll go on give me ur reasons

TonyP
May 22nd, 2006, 03:20 PM
It seems everyone else in the known universe was impressed that Hingis go to the quarter finals of her first slam in more than three years (and only the third tournament of her come back) and managed to take Kim Clijsters to three sets.

And, if you'll remember, nobody but nobody was impressed with Venus' performance.

But anyway, if it makes you feel better to say that Venus would be favored if the two met on any suface but clay, then go ahead. Anyway, the real question is, Martina is now just one ranking spot behind Venus. How soon will she pass the second Williams sister?

Viktymise
May 22nd, 2006, 03:35 PM
It seems everyone else in the known universe was impressed that Hingis go to the quarter finals of her first slam in more than three years (and only the third tournament of her come back) and managed to take Kim Clijsters to three sets.

And, if you'll remember, nobody but nobody was impressed with Venus' performance.

But anyway, if it makes you feel better to say that Venus would be favored if the two met on any suface but clay, then go ahead. Anyway, the real question is, Martina is now just one ranking spot behind Venus. How soon will she pass the second Williams sister?
She wont pass venus in the rankings

spencercarlos
May 23rd, 2006, 12:54 AM
I would like to see Venus defending her Wimbledon winning points and be ranked ahead of Martina after that especific tournament :lol: you are dreaming.

Barlos
May 23rd, 2006, 01:10 AM

You really believe that? It's a near certainty that Martina will be ahead of Venus by the end of Wimbledon. And even after that she'll still have a further 5 months remaining with no points to defend...

SAEKeithSerena
May 23rd, 2006, 01:11 AM
i think so.

IceHock
May 23rd, 2006, 01:11 AM

:lol: :lol: .comparing the tournaments each play,venus will have trouble keeping up in the rankings with martina,she has a huge amount to defend in wimbledon while martina has none all year.venus will play less than 8 tournies from rg on just aguess she usually doesn't play alot while martina will probably play a good 15

Hingie
May 23rd, 2006, 01:37 PM

:haha:

Viktymise
May 23rd, 2006, 01:47 PM
Lets see, well venus has few points to defend at RG and after that if she has wimbledon but then she only played 2 more tournaments for the rest of the year, she also didnt play anything at the start of 06 and how the hell do any of you know martina is gonna do well at Wimbledon or RG all it would take is if Hingis were to lose like 3rd or 4th round of wimbledon and vee to win then hingis has no chance, who is gonna be fresher by like the US open aswell, hingis who has played like nearly as many tournaments as possible this year or vee who has played 3, your talking like vee has a million points to defend after wimbledon its pretty much the same as hingis apart frm the US open so get a clue

Hingie
May 23rd, 2006, 01:50 PM
Lets see, well venus has few points to defend at RG and after that if she has wimbledon but then she only played 2 more tournaments for the rest of the year, she also didnt play anything at the start of 06 and how the hell do any of you know martina is gonna do well at Wimbledon or RG all it would take is if Hingis were to lose like 3rd or 4th round of wimbledon and vee to win then hingis has no chance, who is gonna be fresher by like the US open aswell, hingis who has played like nearly as many tournaments as possible this year or vee who has played 3, your talking like vee has a million points to defend after wimbledon its pretty much the same as hingis apart frm the US open so get a clue

We'll see. ;)

~CANUCK~
May 23rd, 2006, 04:21 PM

Venus has 3 tournies after wimby. Stanford-final, USopen-QF, beijeng-QF (i think). Venus has a lot of points to defend. Venus currently has 148 point lead on martina. You take off her RG points and it leaves venus with an 86 point lead. If lets say they make the same round at RG and then venus wins Wimby again, and like you said martina goes out in round 4, martina will be ranked higher then venus.

new-york
May 23rd, 2006, 04:30 PM
Hingis has no points to defend at all. Venus will soon fight for 700 points.
i believe in Venus greatness too, she's my really fave but let's face some facts.

Hingis is giving troubles to top players lately & showed she can compete with them. Venus Williams included.
Like in the past, she can beat Venus in any surface & Venus can return the favor.

We just can't make from a match big eternal conclusions. Like we just can make from a first set bagel a victory.

Watch it evolve. Things move so much.

SelesFan70
May 23rd, 2006, 04:32 PM
Who knows...It all depends on how Venus plays that day

:rolleyes: As opposed to how well Martina is playing?

Paneru
May 23rd, 2006, 04:34 PM

Dear, ignore them.

Serena's out so all the haters are gonna be
exclusively on Venus left and right. :cool:

Knocking her every win and
touting her every loss.

It's simply their MO,
it's how they operate.

i.e. Venus beat Martina = She hasn't played on clay in years.
Martina beats Venus = She's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Don't sweat it. :yeah:

Viktymise
May 23rd, 2006, 06:16 PM
Dear, ignore them.

Serena's out so all the haters are gonna be
exclusively on Venus left and right. :cool:

Knocking her every win and
touting her every loss.

It's simply their MO,
it's how they operate.

i.e. Venus beat Martina = She hasn't played on clay in years.
Martina beats Venus = She's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Don't sweat it. :yeah:
Thanks for the support, there was way too many hingis fans in the thread laughing, i never said hingis never would i just asked a question i think some people need to read before they write but yes alot of martina fans are living in the clouds since Martina beat vee, i mean yes she beat vee and well done to her but it wasnt like the greatest match ever, won it mainly due to tons of errors frm vee but thx 4 the support us williams fans should stick together :)

Viktymise
May 23rd, 2006, 06:19 PM
Venus has 3 tournies after wimby. Stanford-final, USopen-QF, beijeng-QF (i think). Venus has a lot of points to defend. Venus currently has 148 point lead on martina. You take off her RG points and it leaves venus with an 86 point lead. If lets say they make the same round at RG and then venus wins Wimby again, and like you said martina goes out in round 4, martina will be ranked higher then venus.
Ye but who says venus and hingis are going to get to the same round of the french, Martina could get a horrible draw and play like lenaD in the 4th round and my girl lena will be lookin for revenge

GrandSlam05
May 23rd, 2006, 07:09 PM
alot of martina fans are living in the clouds
Yeah, and most Queen Vee fans are living in 2001.

Viktymise
May 23rd, 2006, 07:55 PM
Well there is more of a chance of vee getting back to the top than hingis

~CANUCK~
May 23rd, 2006, 08:56 PM

Why?

new-york
May 23rd, 2006, 09:06 PM

most sound pretty 2006 to me. look at them.

perspective.

new-york
May 23rd, 2006, 09:09 PM

lenavee just let it go. Hingis achievements won't change what Venus will do.

Hingis just won a tier 1. We'll see but just like whatever. We want Venus to have great results. If she has, she has, no matter who's she playin or compared to who.

Viktymise
May 23rd, 2006, 10:08 PM

Hingis just won a tier 1. We'll see but just like whatever. We want Venus to have great results. If she has, she has, no matter who's she playin or compared to who.
OK ill do it for a fellow vee fan, soory i got a bit passionate over the whole thing im not usually like this but i just had to voice my opinions

Paneru
May 24th, 2006, 02:47 AM

Only difference being, if it were in reverse,
Venus would be knocked regardless.

i.e. 04' Clay streak and all the haters could
say is that she didn't beat any top 10 players
on her road to those victories, just like Hingis is Rome.

Yet niery a one of them is talking on that.

Whatever i guess. :cool:

spencercarlos
May 24th, 2006, 03:29 AM
Reading this was all ok until this part..
This is 2006? Or in general?
Hingis has proven already that she can challenge Venus on any surface, she has never beaten Venus on grass but took Venus at her best to 6-4 in the third set. This if we recall before Hingis´s retirement.
2006 Hingis should have beaten Venus in Warsaw, once again when both players were fitter, Hingis was just two points from victory, then in the third set the cramps came and Hingis choked badly, hitting to the middle and waiting for Venus to lose it, and Venus fought like a bull out there, hitting great winners on the important points despite her conditions.
But then comes Rome, Venus takes the first set 6-0, with Martina lost on the tennis court, but then all of the sudden the match changed when Hingis starts to play better and put more balls in play, and she was the one that was on when the important points came, hitting some great winners and turns it around.
To sum it like it or not, Venus in Rome played better than Warsaw, statistics prove it, around 35 less unforced errors from Venus in this match, only 2 double faults the entire match, and longer rallies, and much better phisically than in Warsaw and after taking the first set 6-0 was not enough to take out Martina.
It only shows that the one being mentally better up there to the challenge is the one that will win. Im really sure that both know what to do in order to beat the other player.
Hingis knows that if she wants to beat Venus she has to get a lot of first serves in, played inmaculate defense and take full advantage when having the change to be on the offensive... not easy. Venus from her part she knows that she has to use her serve better, set up points from there, attack on everything and be consistent on that in order to derail Hingis´s defense.. not easy either.

spencercarlos
May 24th, 2006, 03:49 AM
First of all, im not talking about ending the year higher ranked than the other, honestly i think Hingis has a lot more to acomplish if she expects to end the year higher ranked player than a GS champion of 2005.
But after Wimbledon points are taken away, i find it difficult that Venus ends up higher ranked than Martina, mainly because of two things:
1)Venus has to defend more than double of her actual points in just one event, Wimbledon. Sure a huge favorite for the title, but not a sure Winner of the title anyway, remmember last year she won it by surprise of many, this year she is defending and she will have the pressure. Without Roland Garros points the gap between them is reduced to 86, going into wimbledon, and Venus has to repeat as a Champion is she wants to keep that mere 86 point difference.
2)Hingis for her part has to lose early at Wimbledon, which is up to be seen, especially when Martina has only lost to top 20 players this year, and has done very well on a fast surface like Tokio proving that she can be a force on a fast court too plus since losing to Penetta in Gold Coast she has only lost to top 15 players. Venus for her part two of her three defeats this year has come in hands of players ranked outside the top 20.

PLP
May 24th, 2006, 04:04 AM
I hope they both end the year ranked in the top 5...Martina has a better chance than Venus thoguh, not only because of her lack of points to defend but becasue she is more consistent and will most likely play a full schedule and Venus usually doesn't but maybe she will..if she wants to get back near the top, she will>P

GracefulVenus
May 24th, 2006, 04:34 AM
Man PLP, did you change your profile pic because I was looking at Robby?:lol: Good post. I wish Venus and Martina the best this year!!

new-york
May 24th, 2006, 11:28 AM
OK ill do it for a fellow vee fan, soory i got a bit passionate over the whole thing im not usually like this but i just had to voice my opinions

;)

Only difference being, if it were in reverse,
Venus would be knocked regardless.

i.e. 04' Clay streak and all the haters could
say is that she didn't beat any top 10 players
on her road to those victories, just like Hingis is Rome.

Yet niery a one of them is talking on that.

Whatever i guess. :cool:

whatever. :cool: ;)

So Disrespectful
May 24th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Is grass the only surface where Venus can possibly beat Martina from now on?

Viktymise
May 24th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Is grass the only surface where Venus can possibly beat Martina from now on?
Eh no cause she just beat martina in warsaw a few weeks ago

Viktymise
May 24th, 2006, 01:04 PM
First of all, im not talking about ending the year higher ranked than the other, honestly i think Hingis has a lot more to acomplish if she expects to end the year higher ranked player than a GS champion of 2005.
But after Wimbledon points are taken away, i find it difficult that Venus ends up higher ranked than Martina, mainly because of two things:
1)Venus has to defend more than double of her actual points in just one event, Wimbledon. Sure a huge favorite for the title, but not a sure Winner of the title anyway, remmember last year she won it by surprise of many, this year she is defending and she will have the pressure. Without Roland Garros points the gap between them is reduced to 86, going into wimbledon, and Venus has to repeat as a Champion is she wants to keep that mere 86 point difference.
2)Hingis for her part has to lose early at Wimbledon, which is up to be seen, especially when Martina has only lost to top 20 players this year, and has done very well on a fast surface like Tokio proving that she can be a force on a fast court too plus since losing to Penetta in Gold Coast she has only lost to top 15 players. Venus for her part two of her three defeats this year has come in hands of players ranked outside the top 20.
I think we will have to agree to diagree on this one i dnt want to getin2 a huge fight over it,im just gonna say well done to hingis for winning and good luck to her for the rest of the year in her battle against vee but i will be rooting for vee all the way :)

spencercarlos
Jul 1st, 2006, 06:40 PM
Sorry i could not resist, LenaVee but i had to do it.. You were wrong :p

Congratulations Martina comes from a 3 and a half year abscense and passes Venus in the rankings. Of course the odds were very favorable for Martina, but still quite an acomplishment.
Half of the year remaining lets see what happens. :wavey:
;)

Viktymise
Jul 2nd, 2006, 10:31 PM
Sorry i could not resist, LenaVee but i had to do it.. You were wrong :p

Congratulations Martina comes from a 3 and a half year abscense and passes Venus in the rankings. Of course the odds were very favorable for Martina, but still quite an acomplishment.
Half of the year remaining lets see what happens. :wavey:
;)
I knew someone was gonna do this after Vee lost, i couldnt be any sadder after vee's loss :sad: , ah well i know u must be hurting after Hingis lost so no hard feelings, i was wrong it was a spur of the moment rash comment which i didnt really think about but im sure Vee and Martina would have surrendered the ranking to get further in the tournament anyway on a side note good luck lenaD tomorrow and for the rest of the tournament :D

new-york
Jul 2nd, 2006, 10:35 PM
I knew someone was gonna do this after Vee lost, i couldnt be any sadder after vee's loss :sad: , ah well i know u must be hurting after Hingis lost so no hard feelings, i was wrong it was a spur of the moment rash comment which i didnt really think about but im sure Vee and Martina would have surrendered the ranking to get further in the tournament anyway on a side note good luck lenaD tomorrow and for the rest of the tournament :D

basically why these threads with assured declarations coming from everywhere but plausible, considering the given situation, are bad.

let's get over it now. ;)

Viktymise
Jul 2nd, 2006, 10:38 PM
basically why these threads with assured declarations coming from everywhere but plausible, considering the given situation, are bad.

let's get over it now. ;)
This thread is old now

new-york
Jul 2nd, 2006, 10:39 PM
i know right.

things i didn't say at that time & still can be said.

Viktymise
Jul 2nd, 2006, 10:42 PM
i know right.

things i didn't say at that time & still can be said.
This thread really tho has nothing to do with Vee's current situation, it was only a small comment i had said in the heat of the moment without actually thinking, hhhhhmmmm makes me feel sader that vee lost now yesterday and in her interview with the BBC u could see the tears in her eyes, so sad :sad:

new-york
Jul 2nd, 2006, 10:55 PM
i remember. still. whatever.

i'm fucking sad too.

Viktymise
Jul 2nd, 2006, 10:57 PM
i remember. still. whatever.

i'm fucking sad too.
Ah well she'll be back do you have anyone else to pull for this Wimbledon other than vee :)

new-york
Jul 2nd, 2006, 11:02 PM
i will actually now support Ivanovic & Jankovic (lolz.). my other faves.

congrats already to the future winner, Wimbledon must be so good to get. :hearts:

Viktymise
Jul 2nd, 2006, 11:04 PM
i will actually now support Ivanovic & Jankovic (lolz.). my other faves.

congrats already to the future winner, Wimbledon must be so good to get. :hearts:
Least you didnt say perry cause of course im going for my girl LenaD i have such a great feeling about her this tournament, watch this spce she is gonna do something big :)

rottweily
Jul 3rd, 2006, 12:51 AM
Oh boy some people are desperate.