PDA

View Full Version : Will Monica be a threat for the French Open???

R. DIS
May 24th, 2002, 03:34 AM
I think the only way Monica will do well at the French is if she wins Madrid. She is a player that thrives on match play and confidence. She's not like Mary or Jennifer, who can lose early in a tournament before and win the French. I think she must win Madrid for her to have any confidence and motivation for the French Open. I think She has the ability to beat anyone on clay except maybe Serena or Venus, but if she doesn't win Madrid then i can't see her doing well next week.

Berlin_Calling
May 24th, 2002, 03:37 AM
except maybe Serena or Venus,
Serena is a great claycourter but I dont know about Venus. If monica can't beat Venus on clay, she can definitly not beat Justine on the surface.;)

R. DIS
May 24th, 2002, 03:39 AM
The belgian sisters don't stand a chance against Monica. Most of the times she has played them she has either been sick, extremely tired, or her game has been way off, yet she has beaten them every time.

Berlin_Calling
May 24th, 2002, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by R. DIS
The belgian sisters don't stand a chance against Monica. Most of the times she has played them she has either been sick, extremely tired, or her game has been way off, yet she has beaten them every time.

What in the wrold are u talking about?:rolleyes: First of all, they are not sisters, two independant people and when Justine has played Seles, two matches have gone to 3 tough sets out of the four they played. None of these were played on clay either. And what are you talking about Monica being sick when playing Justine?? Explain......:rolleyes:

RYNJ
May 24th, 2002, 03:53 AM
I think Monica has a good chance, but she hasn't done much for the clay season. But hopefully she can have a title leading into the French.

AjdeNate!
May 24th, 2002, 04:05 AM
Since she's never lost before the quarters.....only ever lost 21* matches on clay ever (I don't count Hamburg 93)...only won RG 3 times... I'd say definately she has no chance to do very well. In fact, she should just skip the event entirely.

Sense the sarcasm, please.

R. DIS
May 24th, 2002, 04:21 AM
When she played Justine at Fed Cup she had a stomach flu and was in the bathroom a couple times during the match but still won. At the AO she was totally off her game, unfit, and had a cold but still own. At the CO, she was extremely tired from all her tough matches, including beating Dokic earlier in the day, and managed to whip her in the last two sets.

selesrules
May 24th, 2002, 04:30 AM
It's ridiculous to say that Seles can't beat Venus or Serena on clay when she has beaten them on hardcourt. The slow surface like clay will help Monica get to many balls and she'll have an easier time with their serves.

As for Clijsters & Henin, Monica has always beaten them and even though they might score one day a win over her, I doubt it will be in a grandslam where Monica always raises her level best and is always strong.

I agree about Madrid, it would give her confidence to win. But no player has won 2 clay titles this year so maybe it's not a good idea to win? :confused:

herodoto
May 24th, 2002, 04:36 AM
of course monica can beat venus or serena on clay. *tsk tsk* monica had won lots of tournaments on that surface (including several RG's) Serena just one (the last weekend), venus a few more. so, who is better claycourter???:rolleyes:

Couver
May 24th, 2002, 05:46 AM
I think she has a very good chance. I also think only playing Madrid will help her. Monica was at her best last summer. When she came off her injury and beat Hingis, Capriati, & S.Williams. Often Monica plays to much, I feel when she plays less she is much more of a threat.

As for the surface being in her favour I suppose, but I think we have all seen that everyone in the top 10 can play on any surface. I give Monica a very good chance, and I hope she does well :)

irma
May 24th, 2002, 06:45 AM
a player who reached 7 out of 9 semis and the other two were quarters is always a threat:)
I hope she is not in Kimmy's or Serena's quarter!

CanIGetAWhat
May 24th, 2002, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by ANNA2K ROCKZ

What in the wrold are u talking about?:rolleyes: First of all, they are not sisters, two independant people and when Justine has played Seles, two matches have gone to 3 tough sets out of the four they played. None of these were played on clay either. And what are you talking about Monica being sick when playing Justine?? Explain......:rolleyes:

didn't you hear? Kim and Justine are sisters...according to Jennifer Capriati ;)

Yes, Monica will be a threat, she grew up on the dirt and is a former champion. also, she has had a few weeks to recover and I think she'll be hungry to gain as much points as possible because she's not defending any.

i hope Monica is in one of the williams sisters' quarter. they've never played her on clay and it would be a very interesting match.

Jakeev
May 24th, 2002, 07:56 AM
If Monica Seles can make it to the final of the French Open after losing her father to cancer and with virtually no training, there is no reason why she cannot do well this year.

Monica always somehow finds a certain magic when she competes at Roland Garros.

I say don't even bet your house against her and against any player she may face.

Crazy Canuck
May 24th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Not a chance.

Monica should just retire.

I mean sheesh, you'd think she had won it before or something :rolleyes:

:D

per4ever
May 24th, 2002, 08:29 AM
it's not because Seles always won against the Belgian girls that she will keep doing that. Justine and Kim are lots better then last year, and I would like to see a Justine-Monica match..even in a Slam.

I would put my money on Justine (if it's on clay)

Kart
May 24th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Monica has beaten Kim twice this year and Justine once already.

Whilst I imagine that she can't go undefeated against them forever, she has a good chances against them if they face each other at RG. Clay is Monica's best surface as well.

R. DIS, I much prefer this thread to your other one :).

Monica_Rules
May 24th, 2002, 09:57 AM
If Monica beat Kim on Hardcourts i doubt she would loose to her on clay:rolleyes:

I mean even though Kim got to the final last year two words

'easy draw'

Anyone who had that draw and her talent that didn't get to atleast the semis would be a failier.

Anyway Monica has a great chance she been there done that bought the t-shirt but i think she wants another t-shirt;) :p and believe me she'll get it!

Sammm
May 24th, 2002, 10:07 AM
Of course monica is a threat. I'll be very suprised if one of the belgians beats her.