PDA

View Full Version : Putting Venus' Rome performance in perspective....

V-MAC
May 21st, 2006, 02:52 PM
well considering Venus had to play 5 consecutive matches straight from Tuesday through to Saturday, with 3 going to 3 sets - I think she did really well when you consider this is only her 3rd tournament of the year :worship: I think we can proud of Vee's showing and look forward to an exciting Roland Garros for her ;) She has that invaluable match practise under her belt now too and I'm sure she'll be only too eager to hit the practise courts from now until RG to tune up her game. I only saw the last 2 sets of the Venus/Martina match yesterday but from what I saw, it seemed to be a combination of Venus being mentally exhausted (hence her usually trusty backhand completely breaking down) and Martina really playing some clever tennis (balancing the right amount of defensive tennis with some smart attacking angles - btw, fair play to Martina here, she managed to stay cool under pressure :) ) um...damn I've lost my flow of thought :scratch: oh yeah, anyway, I think Vee has shown us in Rome that she'll be ready for RG, at least there she should have a day off between her matches to help to mentally regroup :bounce: :bounce:

RenaSlam.
May 21st, 2006, 02:53 PM
Hingis should have won both matches- she has played much more this year and is in good form.

Heading into Warsaw, Venus had played what? 2 matches in 9 months? Venus has played VERY little tennis these days, and I did not expect her to win against Hingis in Warsaw, let alone Patty this week, on her worst surface no less.

I expect great things to come.

K-Dog
May 21st, 2006, 03:02 PM
Well I"m happy that Venus is playing better than expected. Even last year, a result like this would have been shocking. To get to a semi in a tier 1 on clay in only your 2 nd tournament back is a great result. I hope and pray that Venus learns from this loss and works on things like her serve placement and mph, her backhand, and her movement. The one thing about Venus that is different from last year at this time was confidence and apparent hunger. She believes in herself 100% again and is playing that aggresive style that has won her so many titles and majors. Last year she was so indecisive on the court and her attitude and mind set is MUCH better than last year. In fact, after that Wimbledon win she has looked more and more self-assured on the court sans Oz this year. It is good to see. Again I hope Richard notices some things to work on and gets to the courts and works them out. Good luck at RG Venus!!

Viktymise
May 21st, 2006, 03:08 PM
WD vee whooooooooooooo

~Cherry*Blossom~
May 21st, 2006, 03:10 PM
yeah I know all this, yet I still can't help but be pissed that she let yesterdays match slip.

However, I'm happy she is playing tennis and I managed to tape some of her matches again :hearts: I wish her all the luck for the French. I think she will surprise many with how she performs there.

lee station
May 21st, 2006, 03:12 PM
C'mon Venus :worship: :hatoff:

Il Primo!
May 21st, 2006, 03:39 PM
Year you're right,we all should be optimistic about Venus..I'm persuaded she will do great things like a GS victory but I'm afraid she lack stamina,confidence,pratice and also luck at RG...But it definitely smells good for Wimbledon and the USOpen which are Vee's gardens(don't forget her palmares at N-Y which is also UNBELIEVABLE,not necessary to mention it ;) )
GO VENUS!!

tennnisfannn
May 21st, 2006, 03:47 PM
I am happpy venus is playing well again. I am also so glad for martina, what a difference she has made to 2006, she has brought in alot of excitement to the game at a time when the tour was ailing, she deserves a good win and hopefully she wins the title. It will only be fitting.

AsGoodAsNew
May 21st, 2006, 04:02 PM
It's not good to peak too early before a Slam. Given that Venus has played so few tournaments she has done really well. And she lost yesterday because of unforced errors, something that she can easily improve on for RG. Her power was still amazing, and if she can reign in a few shots she could be unstoppable.

vwfan
May 21st, 2006, 04:28 PM
I'm just pissed. :fiery:

Perhaps, I'll have perspective tomorrow. Her losing to Martina no matter how well Martina is playing feels like going backward rather than forward. My goodness, she should know how to beat Martina by now. She has so many more weapons than Martina!

Clearly the first set shows us that she knows what to do, but she still needs to figure out how to sustain it. I think of the loss to Kim (where she was leading a set and a break at the Open), Mauresmo (where she was leading a set and a break in the Antwerp final), Davenport (where she was leading a set at Amelia Island), Australian open 1st round and now this. She has got to shut these matches down when she has players on the ropes, because they have learned how to fight and believe they can win. Her work is much harder than usual.

Alas, I will continue to struggle to have perspective now that I've gotten that off my chest.

AsGoodAsNew
May 21st, 2006, 04:33 PM

Perhaps, I'll have perspective tomorrow. Her losing to Martina no matter how well Martina is playing feels like going backward rather than forward. My goodness, she should know how to beat Martina by now. She has so many more weapons than Martina!

Clearly the first set shows us that she knows what to do, but she still needs to figure out how to sustain it. I think of the loss to Kim (where she was leading a set and a break at the Open), Mauresmo (where she was leading a set and a break in the Antwerp final), Davenport (where she was leading a set at Amelia Island), Australian open 1st round and now this. She has got to shut these matches down when she has players on the ropes, because they have learned how to fight and believe they can win. Her work is much harder than usual.

Alas, I will continue to struggle to have perspective now that I've gotten that off my chest.

Think positive!

serenafann
May 21st, 2006, 05:05 PM
I think overall her play was a positive,She looked pretty good for the most part,just needs to cut down on unforced errors and control that forehand,and She will have a good chance[hopefully] at the French Open.

Krystell
May 21st, 2006, 05:16 PM

Clearly I think the first set shows that Martina was TOTALLY off of her game, so don't get too excited about that bagel. It was obvious that as soon as Martina stepped up her play, Venus was put on the defense and we both know what happened after that.......... so you're dreaming if you think only Venus had an impact on that match.

K-Dog
May 21st, 2006, 05:18 PM
I think overall her play was a positive,She looked pretty good for the most part,just needs to cut down on unforced errors and control that forehand,and She will have a good chance[hopefully] at the French Open.

again folks, her forehand right now is better than the backhand. look at the numbers!! yes Venus needs to continue working on the forehand in Paris, but the backhand needs the most attention with the serve next in order. forehand look fine to me.

LUIS9
May 21st, 2006, 05:21 PM
again folks, her forehand right now is better than the backhand. look at the numbers!! yes Venus needs to continue working on the forehand in Paris, but the backhand needs the most attention with the serve next in order. forehand look fine to me.

Actually despite the poor quality from both player's Venus' forehand was far more consistent and solid than her favorite shot the backhand. Yes she hit some amazing winners from the backhand wing but it made far too many errors.

K-Dog
May 21st, 2006, 05:26 PM
Actually despite the poor quality from both player's Venus' forehand was far more consistent and solid than her favorite shot the backhand. Yes she hit some amazing winners from the backhand wing but it made far too many errors.

didn't I just say that?

serenafann
May 23rd, 2006, 02:44 AM
Point taken,her forehand did hold up better than backhand.

No Name Face
May 23rd, 2006, 02:46 AM
Venus will successfully defend Wimbledon.
Serena will make a thunderous return during the U.S. Open series, win all the events she plays in, then either wins or is runner up (to Dementieva, only --- if anyone) in the U.S. Open.

:worship:

K-Dog
May 23rd, 2006, 02:54 AM
Venus will successfully defend Wimbledon.
Serena will make a thunderous return during the U.S. Open series, win all the events she plays in, then either wins or is runner up (to Dementieva, only --- if anyone) in the U.S. Open.

:worship:

i could only hope. that would be amazing imo.

Volcana
May 23rd, 2006, 03:56 AM
Look, there's no reason Venus shouldn't have won this tournament. You can't really gloss over that. She had to beat two NON top-twenty players. She's not ready to win a slam. We gotta hope she goes DEEP in Roland Garros. She needs more match play. Too bad she isn't playing Birmingham.

Cybelle Darkholme
May 23rd, 2006, 05:12 AM
She should have capitalized on her first set. She didn't. She lost focus.

She should have won that match.

However, she that was only her third tournament of the year so not bad.

She can only improve and get better as the season goes on. What matters are the performances at the slams everything else is icing on the cake.

Sam L
May 23rd, 2006, 05:16 AM
She should have capitalized on her first set. She didn't. She lost focus.

She should have won that match.

However, she that was only her third tournament of the year so not bad.

She can only improve and get better as the season goes on. What matters are the performances at the slams everything else is icing on the cake.
In Martina Hingis' 3rd tournament of the year she reached the QF of the Australian Open. Just saying.

venus_rulez
May 23rd, 2006, 05:17 AM
You guys are looking for signs that Venus is back and in slam contention and really last year there were none of those signs before Wimbledon. She was completely out of sorts through the entire clay court season (winning Instanbul was a given. The competition was extraordinarily weak) she lost to a 15 year old at Roland Garros and really did not play slam winning tennis in her first 3 matches at Wimbledon. Venus is very inconsistent it's part of both Williams Sisters game. The only thing Venus needs to win a slam is her fight. That's what got her through Wimbledon, because she defended well. She doesn't have to worry about her technique so much when she plays great defense. I think she's ready to start winning slams, it's about her and the moment. She'll be fine. She's the fucking Venus Williams.

pcrtennis
May 23rd, 2006, 05:57 AM
Her backhand was off in this tournament (It was on fire in Warsaw) but to say it is worse than her forehand now is just idotic...there's way too much being made of this...GO VENUS! She;s just going to keep on getting better!

vwfan
May 23rd, 2006, 07:08 PM
Look, there's no reason Venus shouldn't have won this tournament. You can't really gloss over that. She had to beat two NON top-twenty players. She's not ready to win a slam. We gotta hope she goes DEEP in Roland Garros. She needs more match play. Too bad she isn't playing Birmingham.I agree and that is my frustration. There was no reason for her to lose this tournament.

No.1Hingis
May 23rd, 2006, 07:22 PM
Ey! Come on.. is the same happened with Martina Berlin lost.. Yeah .. they are come back... need time.. as someone said .. Martina 3rd Tournament of year makes QF of AO.. Venus achieve good result in Rome to make semis.. thats good..

We can see a diferent here.. Martina was out for 3 years without play... and Venus got some months...

LUIS9
May 24th, 2006, 02:02 AM
didn't I just say that?

Sorry I meant to agree. Oops. Gosh my writing skills are deteriorating by the minute. :tape: I never disagreed though. :lol:

K-Dog
May 24th, 2006, 02:35 AM
Sorry I meant to agree. Oops. Gosh my writing skills are deteriorating by the minute. :tape: I never disagreed though. :lol:
don't worry about it. it just seemed strange that it your responce sounded like a disagreement, but in fact it was an agreement. idk, whatever. we all make mistakes.

VeeDaQueen
May 24th, 2006, 02:42 AM
In Martina Hingis' 3rd tournament of the year she reached the QF of the Australian Open. Just saying.

She also beat some tough competition: Vera Zvonareva, Emma Laine, Iveta Benesova, and Samantha Stosur. SHIT! I doubt even Graf at her peak could get through that draw!

new-york
May 24th, 2006, 02:45 AM

Sam, you just love her.

Paneru
May 24th, 2006, 03:40 AM
She also beat some tough competition: Vera Zvonareva, Emma Laine, Iveta Benesova, and Samantha Stosur. SHIT! I doubt even Graf at her peak could get through that draw!
:haha: :tape: :haha:

BOT,

Anyone with eyes and ears can put Venus'
performance in perspective.

It's been great very much in comparison
to what her usual beginnings of returns are.
She finding her form so much quicker than she
ever has in a return and looks to be heading right on up. :cool:

StarDuvallGrant
May 24th, 2006, 04:09 AM

:lol:

But Vera :sad:

spencercarlos
May 24th, 2006, 05:20 AM
You forgot to add that she took Kim to 6-4 in the third set nevertheless.
Hingis was 300 something ranked at the time, not played for 4 years and in her first GS even back, and she reachs the quarterfinals.
Venus for example lost to Lisa Raymond straight sets at the Australian Open 2004 after just 6 months off, quite different. :rolleyes:

azinna
May 24th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Venus is definitely a bit "undercooked" (Rafter's term). She'll need both her fight and her father in pocket to get through to the 2nd week of Roland Garros.

Paneru
May 24th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Venus is definitely a bit "undercooked" (Rafter's term). She'll need both her fight and her father in pocket to get through to the 2nd week of Roland Garros.

Even if she plays like she has in Warsaw & Rome,
she'll make the 2nd week comfortably.

Schnyder, Hingis, Jankovic, & even
Safarova were good wins for her.

Her form even now heavily trumps her form
& fight of just a year ago at this same time
which saw her to the 3rd rd.

Yet hey, I love when people underestimate Venus.
Makes her victories all the more exciting.

CJ07
May 24th, 2006, 02:02 PM
You forgot to add that she took Kim to 6-4 in the third set nevertheless.
Hingis was 300 something ranked at the time, not played for 4 years and in her first GS even back, and she reachs the quarterfinals.
Venus for example lost to Lisa Raymond straight sets at the Australian Open 2004 after just 6 months off, quite different. :rolleyes:
I don't think you can compare.

Firstly Lisa Raymond was playing her best tennis that day (just like when she beat Hingis while she was #1) and Venus was injured with knee tendonities and a twisted ankle.

Secondly, Clijsters got taken to three sets because Hingis just kept the ball in and she missed backhand after backhand.

The nature of Hingis's game is such that she's obviously going to be consistent because, even on a bad day, she usually makes less than 1 unforced error average per game. Venus on the other hand has a high risk game wherein she can hit 4 winners in a game...and 4 errors in a game.

But if you pit them against each other and both's shots stay in, Venus wins.

Its just the nature of their games.

Veenut
May 24th, 2006, 10:22 PM

You are so right, who else could overcome such stiff competition in order to get that far. I guess for some that's greatness.

Anyway, I'm so disappointed with Vee that my only consolation was, it wasn't the FO. I'm hoping for a much better FO and give herself a better chance there.

spencercarlos
May 25th, 2006, 04:10 AM
I don't think you can compare.

Firstly Lisa Raymond was playing her best tennis that day (just like when she beat Hingis while she was #1) and Venus was injured with knee tendonities and a twisted ankle.

Secondly, Clijsters got taken to three sets because Hingis just kept the ball in and she missed backhand after backhand.

The nature of Hingis's game is such that she's obviously going to be consistent because, even on a bad day, she usually makes less than 1 unforced error average per game. Venus on the other hand has a high risk game wherein she can hit 4 winners in a game...and 4 errors in a game.

But if you pit them against each other and both's shots stay in, Venus wins.

Its just the nature of their games.
Why we can´t compare ? ´Sure the only similarity is that both were coming back from injuries, just that 6 months can compare to 3 and half years, but i try to compare anyway.

Hingis beat Zvonareva former top ten in 2004 in round one who had just come from a final on her first tournament of the year, then Laine (ok an easy one), but then she beat Benesova who had beaten red hot Mary and Stosur who has played like a top 20 player the last two years in her home country.
And Lisa Raymond´s best surface is not rebound ace, i could understand if Venus gets troubled by Lisa on a fast court, carpet, even on grass, but not on a high bouncing court like the AO.
Plus Zvonareva has been a top ten player unlike Lisa´s best rank of 15 and despite all the years of experience behind Lisa (9 at least), she only needs to get another title and another quarterfinal in a grand slam to equal the acomplishments on that department.

Billabong
May 25th, 2006, 05:24 AM

You can also specify that it was her 3rd tournament back after a 4 years layoff, while some people were doubting that she could ever come back in top-100;) You can also specify that she beat all of them in straight sets, and in brilliant display.

Stamp Paid
May 25th, 2006, 05:26 AM
:lol:

:sad: But Vera

I know right! :lol::sad: