PDA

View Full Version : SELES PONDERS FUTURE

GogoGirl
May 23rd, 2002, 11:35 PM
Say it ain't so - Monica.

I feel for the Seles fans because tears swelled up in my eyes. I hope she comes back next year.

I have a feeling that many folks will try to talk her out of it - to include the ex-Mayor Dinkins.

SELES PONDERS FUTURE
Click here for more tennis news

Monica Seles may be about to call time on her illustrious playing career.

The 28-year-old former world number one has admitted that she is lacking motivation after 14 years on the tour.

"At the moment I really do appreciate tennis and tomorrow morning if I wake up feeling that I don't like it anymore then I will stop," she told French sports daily L'Equipe.

"I have no reason to continue. If you ask a 16-year-old girl why she wants to play she will answer that she wants to become world number one.

"My motivation is still there but I don't train six hours a day."

Seles, in Paris preparing for the French Open which begins on Monday, dominated the women's game in the early 1990s, winning eight Grand Slams between 1990 and 1993.

Her career was brought to a shuddering halt, however, in May 1993 when she was stabbed during a match in Hamburg by a crazed fan of rival Steffi Graf.

After a long rehabilitation period, Seles returned to the winners rostrum by claiming the Australian Open in 1996 but has reached just two Grand Slam finals since.

Clearly not the player she was before the stabbing incident, Seles is bitter at missing the opportunity to win more titles.

"No one had ever reached the level I had before I got stabbed," Seles added. "At the time I was losing only once a year.

"Only (Martina) Navratilova had reached that level and after what happened my level certainly plummeted.

"Something was taken away from me when I was stabbed, I had won so many Grand Slams."

Seles' demise is best illustrated by the fact that she had to qualify for this year's event at Roland Garros.

She made it into the main draw, though, with a 7-5 6-4 defeat of Marta Marrero and still harbours ambitions of winning the title two weeks on Saturday.

"I would still like to win a Grand Slam tournament. It would be fantastic."

© SportingLife.com 2002, all rights reserved.
Full Terms and Conditions

disposablehero
May 23rd, 2002, 11:41 PM
I'll believe it when someone who doesn't think Madrid is the qualifying rounds of Roland Garros says it.

Mikey
May 23rd, 2002, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by GogoGirl

Seles' demise is best illustrated by the fact that she had to qualify for this year's event at Roland Garros.

She made it into the main draw, though, with a 7-5 6-4 defeat of Marta Marrero and still harbours ambitions of winning the title two weeks on Saturday.

what does that mean?

Celeste
May 23rd, 2002, 11:54 PM
Qualify? The woman's well into the Top 10! What is she, No. 6 now? I've seen some pretty bad errors before in articles, but this is about the worst ever.

That said, Monica is just confirming what she said last year. If she loses interest in tennis and no longer finds it fun, she'll leave. It was the same story for a lot of "older" players on the tour. If she starts to not like it, she ought to leave, as upsetting to her fans as it might be. I do, however, hate to hear to even talk about retirement, because one day, hopefully not for awhile, she will wake up one day, and boom, that's it. It happened to Steffi, and it happened to Chris. Chris once said she made the decision to retire because she's lost interest and patience in baseline rallies with girls close to half her age. When she came to that realization, that was it. Steffi made the decision semi-fast, hinting at the French, and doing it a few months later. I hope to see Monica for many year to come, but if she admits the thinking about retirement, it might not be that far off. :confused: I can only hope the accuracy of Monica's quotes in the article is about as accurate as the article's statement about her having to qualify for the French Open.

disposablehero
May 24th, 2002, 12:10 AM
Write to editorial@sportinglife.com , and explain to them all the horrific factual deficiencies of their article, and be sure to explain to them that the errors are so egregious as to prove them unqualified to write about tennis. I just did.

Jarrett
May 24th, 2002, 12:16 AM
that article is very sad. Not that Monica might quit any day now but that this writer actually knows very little about tennis.

Mikey
May 24th, 2002, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by disposablehero
Write to editorial@sportinglife.com , and explain to them all the horrific factual deficiencies of their article, and be sure to explain to them that the errors are so egrigious as to prove them unqualified to write about tennis. I just did.

good idea dh - i just wrote a nasty email to that site :fiery: :mad: :fiery: - we'll see what they say

back to the intent of the article, i hope that she'll still enjoy herself as time continues. she's so good and so fun to watch! i hope that she'll remain on the tour for as long as she feels comfortable. :D

Couver
May 24th, 2002, 01:01 AM
Ok the retierment part is very sad :( But if Monica does not love the game anymore, then I would want her to do what makes her happy. Still she could win the French :)

Secondly, what was this writer on? I did not know that top ten players had to qualify for slams now. How sad LOL

ktwtennis
May 24th, 2002, 01:17 AM
I think the fact that Monica will retire is as credible as this article...

kournikovafan13
May 24th, 2002, 01:29 AM
What a disgrace. I just wrote them a nasty message, which they deserve.

Miranda
May 24th, 2002, 01:48 AM
:fiery: :sad: :sad:

mishar
May 24th, 2002, 03:01 AM
I don't believe a word of this article. Besides that the author seems to have gotten everything wrong about qualifying, that she's a top 10 player, that she beat Marrerro 7-5 6-2, that she's said very different things about retiring in other interviews..

I've read so many Monica interviews -- practically every one ever done eek!
She would never say "I only lost one match a year" -- she might say "a few matches a year" but nothing quite so arrogant, and inaccurate.

Unfortunately,

Brian Stewart
May 24th, 2002, 03:06 PM
DH, I hope you weren't as polysyllabic in your letter. They probably wouldn't understand it. :)

As for the article, when my dog Max was alive, he could have swallowed a typewriter and a stack of paper, and crapped out a better article.

Monica_Rules
May 24th, 2002, 03:11 PM
My god whoever wrote that knows absalutely nothing about tennis Monica having to quailfy as if!:rolleyes:

earthcrystal
May 24th, 2002, 06:48 PM
This is tabloid trash.

First off, there's not a single "definitely" ;)

Seles, in Paris preparing for the French Open...

Last time I checked, Monica was in Madrid. :rolleyes:

"No one had ever reached the level I had before I got stabbed," Seles added. "At the time I was losing only once a year.

Monica is far too humble to ever make a statement like that!

"Only (Martina) Navratilova had reached that level and after what happened my level certainly plummeted.

Monica would not say "Navratilova"--they're friends. She would say Martina, then maybe clarify which one. And can't you just hear her using the word "plummeted" ?!

"Something was taken away from me when I was stabbed, I had won so many Grand Slams."

She NEVER makes comments about the stabbing like this one.

She made it into the main draw, though, with a 7-5 6-4 defeat of Marta Marrero ...

The ultimate LOL part of the article. Clearly a written by a clueless hack...This belongs in the National Inquirer, or better yet, in a rubbish bin.

Jarrett
May 24th, 2002, 07:01 PM
I agree with earthcrystal. The quotes don't even sound like Monica. Maybe she was having a bad day or something, but I doubt that Monica would say things like that.

Zl@tko
May 24th, 2002, 07:14 PM
What a stupid article. What's wrong with these people ???? I think this guy should not call himself "reporter"

disposablehero
May 25th, 2002, 12:48 AM
Did anyone get a response from their "nasty letter"? I didn't, but I notice the article has been edited.

kournikovafan13
May 25th, 2002, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by disposablehero
Did anyone get a response from their "nasty letter"? I didn't, but I notice the article has been edited.

No, I didn't either. I think they're too ashamed:rolleyes:

Mikey
May 25th, 2002, 01:43 AM
no, and i wish i would....some people are just so stupid some times :fiery: :mad: :fiery:

Deira
May 25th, 2002, 03:52 AM
I don't understand why they can't get some credible people who know about tennis to write these articles. These fools are downright embarrassing to the folks they supposedly work for.

Richie77
May 25th, 2002, 04:32 AM
As someone who writes sports articles (high school, no pro), I was rather shocked that such a thing got published or distributed.
More errors:
- Monica was stabbed on April 30, 1993 - NOT May.
- What the hell is a "rostrum?" Is the writer over-compensating for all of his factual errors? :rolleyes:
- And of course, "had to qualify for the French" is completely ridiculous. Doesn't this writer know how many players compete in a Slam? If you're in the Top 100, you should be able to get into the main draw.

If I ever become a sports editor, remind me to never that person! :rolleyes:

Brian Stewart
May 25th, 2002, 06:18 PM
No replies? Gee, what a surprise. :) I rarely get them either. (Only once from USA Today and once from Tennis Mag.)

Tennisfan**
May 25th, 2002, 06:35 PM
And here is Monica's response:

After the match, Seles denied she had plans to retire after the French Open, but didn't rule out stopping within the coming year.

``It's been said that I was thinking about retiring this season,'' she said. ``It's was already said after the Australian open and it will be said again after Roland Garros. But I will keep playing as long as I enjoy myself on the courts. Maybe I'll stop this year, maybe not.''

The usual mabye i will mabye i wont has been around for a long time! "As long as i enjoy it" or " the day i wake up and dont love/feel i can win/ feel commited to the game is the day i quit"
are the other usual responses. That VERY innacurate article is sooooo out of it its laughable!

Tennisfan**
May 25th, 2002, 09:48 PM
bump