PDA

View Full Version : What Hingis, AnnaK Seles etc. could do to help poor kids in the old East block

ot1962
May 23rd, 2002, 06:44 PM
I admire them a lot as Tennis players and what they do outside of tennis. They're not my favourite players but I do see them as role models cos they're not only from the old East bloc (ie. Soviet Union and Eastern Europe) and very succesful. I think cos they are from relatively poorer background (see Hingis and AnnaK' dads) they could help other poor kids who are living in extreme poverty in places like Russia, Albania, Romania, Bulgaria etc. I realise a lot of people might not be aware so maybe if their fans send them emails about this, it might help. I admit they might be doing a lot already and prefer to keep quiet about it. If they are, we have to applaud them.

They could not only have tennis seminars but they could serve as mentors so to speak to millions of underprivileged kids in these parts of the world where kids are literally starving because there is not enough food on the table. They could teach these kids the importance of work ethics, social etiquette and discipline to help them stay away from heavy use of drugs and rampant prostitution all across europe. This cycle of being victims needs to stop cos it's the mentality of victimisation that has ruined the lives of many millions citizens of the old East bloc who have been indoctrinated to look up to the state for everything. It's not their fault though, so these top players could be of emmense help here.

I know Venus and Serena do loads of charity work but I think they need to focus on poor blacks. They can emphasise the things that gave them the strength to succeed in tennis and get out of poverty and the ghetto.

I apologise if anyone takes offence but I believe this is important.

smygelfh
May 23rd, 2002, 07:24 PM
I think they could help the world a lot by growing up...

Oh, wait, that was you, not them.

ot1962
May 23rd, 2002, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by smygelfh
I think they could help the world a lot by growing up...

Oh, wait, that was you, not them.

You don't agree? Well, i didn't see you posting in the thread talking about what the Sisters could do to help "poor black kids".
I didn't see you tell the author of the thread to grow up.
Ah well...