PDA

View Full Version : Lindsay out of RG

LDF
May 16th, 2006, 04:53 PM
http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=sportsNews&storyID=2006-05-16T163233Z_01_L16363054_RTRUKOC_0_US-TENNIS-FRENCH-DAVENPORT.xml&archived=False

REUTERS:

PARIS, May 16 (Reuters) - Former world number one Lindsay Davenport has pulled out of the French Open with a back injury, organisers said on Tuesday.

"I'm very disappointed ... but unfortunately, following my back injury, I haven't recovered all my physical strength," the 29-year-old American said in a statement.

A semi-finalist at the French Open in 1998, Davenport has been suffering from lower back strain since she lost the Wimbledon final to Venus Williams last season. She is ranked seventh in the world.

:crying2:

Please be fit for the grass Lindsay...

Andrew..
May 16th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Oh, okay.

So, the plan is, play nothing on clay, play no grass warmups, and go into Wimbledon cold, without a tournament for more than three months.

Sounds like a plan.

LDF
May 16th, 2006, 05:41 PM
She really should play Eastbourne/Birmingham...I know she hates the weather, but it's invaluable match practice!

alfonsojose
May 16th, 2006, 06:01 PM
At this point she could be back at Stanford, playing U.S summer swing and indoors only :shrug:

GrandSlam05
May 16th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Oh, okay.

So, the plan is, play nothing on clay, play no grass warmups, and go into Wimbledon cold, without a tournament for more than three months.

Sounds like a plan.
I couldn't agree with you more Andrew, it doesn't sound like a winning idea to me. I would love for her to win Wimbledon, but I don't think she's like the Vees, Rees, or Justines who can have the long layoff, but still have that inner arrogance and can play great. This time she has nothing to build from.

mike/topgun
May 16th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Don't know if Lindsay's serious in her statements...the "bulging disc" is very serious, "lower back strain" sounds more optimistic but still it could ruin the whole season. However, the "I'm very disappointed ... but unfortunately, following my back injury, I haven't recovered all my physical strength" could mean she's more or less sure she'll play in Wimbledon. IMHO she wants to get really prepared for her last AELT&CC Championships, and doesn't want to risk coming back too early.
She should play a warmup before Wimbledon, or even 2 warmups if it shows she's totally out of form. It may mean also she's planing to play full schedule in the summer and take her best chance in NY.
Honestly, I'm not surprised...mainly becouse I didn't take her plans for Istanbul, RG that seriously. I must repeat myself again - the only thing I really want is to see Lindsay back on track fully fit.

lindsayno1
May 16th, 2006, 07:39 PM
she should play either bham or eastbourne.

Andrew..
May 16th, 2006, 07:39 PM
Or, there's option B: She doesn't want to step foot on a clay court.

RJWCapriati
May 16th, 2006, 07:40 PM
At least she will be healthy for Wimbledon :)

mike/topgun
May 16th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Or, there's option B: She doesn't want to step foot on a clay court.
How dare you :eek: :lol:

No, lets' be serious people :rolleyes: ...Lindsay is not a great, great NADAL claycourt player... whatever, and no matter how much you would argue this is definitely her least favourite surface.<period>
p.s.Andrew how would you know it's actually bahamitis and not hawaiitis :worship: :cool:

MH0861
May 16th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Oh, okay.

Sounds like a plan.

In all honesty, Lindsay didn't play *that* much more last year, either. Left Charleston injured, beat a few scrubs in Fed Cup, went to RG cold after one and a half months off, and took another month off before Wimbledon. She played great. Obviously, any match play (like that) helps, but it isn't as bleak it really has to be made ot to be. I do think she'll play a warmup, though. Tournaments do offer WC's for late entrants. ;)

dav abu
May 16th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Get Well Soon :hug: I have to say for myself that I'm fucking gutted. I got my accomodation sorted and I was going to be sorting my flights over for the French Open tomorrow. I was going to go for the first week, I don't feel like bothering now though I might head over for a couple of days at the start. This is serious stuff even if Lindsay just makes it back in time for Wimbledon she is not going to be match fit and is going to be too rusty to make an impact :crying2:

Lindsayfan32
May 16th, 2006, 09:01 PM
You all have interesting views on this, but there is one thing we should all want and that's for Lindsay to be fully healthy again before she plays in any tournments. If an injury has to happen it better now than later, no injury would be better. Let's face it clay not her best surface. So let's send Lindsay all positive vibes so she fitting fit for a grass court warm up or two and a decent go at Wimbledon.

dav abu
May 16th, 2006, 09:53 PM
well said Lindsayfan32! I was like a bitch for a while tonight but the most important thing is that Lindsay is fit and healthy for when and where it counts and that is Wimbledon and the US Open. We love you Linds :hug:

Cat's Pajamas
May 16th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Lindsay :sad: :smash: :shrug: what is she thinking?

tennisboi
May 16th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Oh no this is so sad:sad::bigcry: If that bloody back was ok she would have won Wimby and who knows after that. She really has to play Eastbourne now

Andrew..
May 16th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Lindsay :sad: :smash: :shrug: what is she thinking?
Same thing Serena is.

Kimmi
May 17th, 2006, 09:33 AM
Ah crap, I only saw this on Ceefax this morning. *Sigh*

It better be one of these screw-you-guys-I'm-staying-at-home-for-my-birthday performances, and not as serious as I think...otherwise we're done :sad:

lindsayno1
May 17th, 2006, 10:01 AM
oooh yeah shes 30 this year isnt she....!

The Daviator
May 17th, 2006, 10:15 AM
How dare you :eek: :lol:

No, lets' be serious people :rolleyes: ...Lindsay is not a great, great NADAL claycourt player... whatever, and no matter how much you would argue this is definitely her least favourite surface.<period>
p.s.Andrew how would you know it's actually bahamitis and not hawaiitis :worship: :cool:

:lol: You're so funny Mike, thanks for telling us that she's not a 'Nadal' on clay, that was something that we definitely did not know :lol:

dav abu, I'm absolutely gutted too, and I would be even more gutted if I was planning on going to RG and she withdrew, so I know how you're feeling, I'm going to the US Open and I'd be devastated if she pulled out, you should still go though, it will still be fun I'm sure, maybe watch Clijsters and think what would happen to her if Linds was still in the draw :devil:

I really want her to be healthy, I do, but for selfish reasons I'm pissed, I just don't feel excited about Grand Slams if Lindsay isn't there, sure I enjoy them, but I have no investment anymore, I don't really care who wins now, I guess I want Nadia to do it...

Anyway, I hope this back clears up and she causes serious damage on the grass and in the States over the summer, get well soon and happy 30th Linds :hug:

Elldee
May 17th, 2006, 11:07 AM
She played awfully at Roland Garros last year and had a lengthy break til Wimbledon so I think she can go in cold and can win. Lindsay's only legit shot now, in my opinion, at a slam is Wimbledon and I think she knows that too and will practice hard.

lindsayno1
May 17th, 2006, 12:06 PM
US Open....! Just ignore what she did last year. I dont like to think of that demented match

GrandSlam05
May 17th, 2006, 01:44 PM
US Open....! Just ignore what she did last year. I dont like to think of that demented match
What's really funny is when the Demented fans get all cocksure. I tell them, "Look, Demented had one of the better matches (less df's etc.) and Lindsay played one of her worst matches of the year with 65 UE's etc., and still barely lost." :lol: Anyway I have a real hard-on for Demented as she beat two of my faves the last two USO's. Bitch.
I just hope we're not in KFC's half of the draw.

lindsayno1
May 18th, 2006, 08:19 AM
with RG she expressed how she didnt really want to play it, so although its annoying and stupid cos its a GS - we should have expected it. If shes just doing it cos its red clay, thats a pretty defeatest attitude. But its also likely if shes had to rest her back she isnt 100% fit...

mike/topgun
May 18th, 2006, 09:48 AM
with RG she expressed how she didnt really want to play it, so although its annoying and stupid cos its a GS - we should have expected it. If shes just doing it cos its red clay, thats a pretty defeatest attitude. But its also likely if shes had to rest her back she isnt 100% fit...
At last that's a fair opionion :wavey: thank you, I thought for a while that I am the only one who wants Lindsay back on tour with 100% healed back - if it's possible of course.
Remember, just how much we all discussed 2006 incase of her fitness and stuff...we all know that when Lindsay isn't 100% she's not risking play in events like RG...
That demented match was a terrific battle from both sides - apart from quality which was mixed - and Lindsay barely lost it, well I'd like to point out that Elena had tones of luck there in the 3rd set tb :tape:

GrandSlam05
May 18th, 2006, 01:51 PM
At last that's a fair opionion :wavey: thank you, I thought for a while that I am the only one who wants Lindsay back on tour with 100% healed back - if it's possible of course.
Remember, just how much we all discussed 2006 incase of her fitness and stuff...we all know that when Lindsay isn't 100% she's not risking play in events like RG...
That demented match was a terrific battle from both sides - apart from quality which was mixed - and Lindsay barely lost it, well I'd like to point out that Elena had tones of luck there in the 3rd set tb :tape:
Well, Mike I don't know if I agree it was a "terrific battle". Maybe from Elena's side, but Linzi didn't seem interested in the match at all (which makes it even more amazing IMO that she barely lost). I thought the quality was pretty low though. I mean it's never very high in a Demented match because of her horrid serve and combine that with Linzi's 65 UE's and you have one downright ugly match IMO. :( The Demented-Capriati match was a battle though and much high quality with some of those great, LONG rallies. :drool:

MH0861
May 18th, 2006, 03:06 PM
I was pissed at Lindsay after that QF match. She deserved to lose.

mike/topgun
May 18th, 2006, 04:08 PM
GrandSlam05 I do respect your opinion.
Personally, I'm not lookinkg on the match from a fan point of view. Even though there were many UFE the drama was there!, some amazing shots from both sides and some of the hardest rallies...low quality were f.e. Dementieva Vs Pierce USO semi, or Kuznetsova Vs Sharpova Miami final - no fight , no drama lots of UFE lopsided matches...or you could check out some of Clijsters Vs Safina 1/8F in Rome 62 UFE in 2 sets from KimKong and she's barely lost it:eek:
Lindsay actually looked like she wasn't interested in that demented match in the 1st set while she was stunned by Elena's great performance. Next two sets were a totally different story, very even...and at last Davenport was there, determined, serving better and going for her shots more often...The tiebreaker was a different thing - Dementieva had tones of luck...in the end Lindsay's had some mp there:tape:

GrandSlam05
May 18th, 2006, 05:04 PM
GrandSlam05 I do respect your opinion.
Personally, I'm not lookinkg on the match from a fan point of view. Even though there were many UFE the drama was there!, some amazing shots from both sides and some of the hardest rallies...low quality were f.e. Dementieva Vs Pierce USO semi, or Kuznetsova Vs Sharpova Miami final - no fight , no drama lots of UFE lopsided matches...or you could check out some of Clijsters Vs Safina 1/8F in Rome 62 UFE in 2 sets from KimKong and she's barely lost it:eek:
Lindsay actually looked like she wasn't interested in that demented match in the 1st set while she was stunned by Elena's great performance. Next two sets were a totally different story, very even...and at last Davenport was there, determined, serving better and going for her shots more often...The tiebreaker was a different thing - Dementieva had tones of luck...in the end Lindsay's had some mp there:tape:
I know I thought when Linda got to match point that it was over. But I guess it would've been more reassuring if it was on Demented's serve. :tape:

mike/topgun
May 18th, 2006, 07:38 PM
You have to give it back to Elena that she fights for every point and rarely gets frustrated about her serve...when she's on the move in long hard hit-rallies she's very, very dangerous...And sadly Lindsay got it wrong...not that bad when it came to play the big points, but when she was leading and taking charge...she let Dementieva back into the match few times and that's what you oughtn't do when you play against someone who's fighting so darm hard...a painful loss...one of the worst losses Lindsay's experienced throughout her long, successful careere.

mike/topgun
May 23rd, 2006, 07:27 PM
Lindsay's almost in her 30...she's been to quarterfinals of GS 30 times(18 won -12 lost), she's been to GS semifinals 18 times(7 won - 11 lost) and 7 times in GS finals and she's won only 3...
I hope it's not the end.

Andrew..
May 24th, 2006, 02:07 AM
Thanks for the History Channel update.

Harju.
May 26th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Well, well. Lindsay is out of RG. But she's whoring out with Gavin Rossdale (Gwen's husband) for some tennis matches in LA. Move over Queen Reena ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/felixk/gavin-rossdale-19.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/felixk/gavin-rossdale-14.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/felixk/gavin-rossdale-06.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/felixk/gavin-rossdale-15.jpg

Andrew..
May 26th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Wow. She's still in great shape. Her legs are like sticks. Kind of surpises me...

Lindsay is such a celebrity whore now. Homewrecker!

Loves it.

Harju.
May 26th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Wow. She's still in great shape. Her legs are like sticks. Kind of surpises me...

Loves it.
:haha:

A girl gotta do what a girl gotta do. ;)

Ty-Ty
May 26th, 2006, 08:08 PM
I'd kill to see that match. Lawlz.

She's so sexy.

The Daviator
May 26th, 2006, 08:55 PM

Loves it.

I know! :haha:

Thanks for the pics V-Lix, looks like she really did skip RG 'cos she wanted nothing to do with clay, roll on Wimbledon! :bounce:

GrandSlam05
May 26th, 2006, 08:56 PM
She looks awesome! I thought she might gain some weight back with the layoff. Still incredible! Though I was kinda hoping she'd grow her hair back, oh well.
I'll bet she schooled his ass.

mike/topgun
May 26th, 2006, 10:47 PM
she's probably serious bout Wimbledon - working out, going to gym every morning then some swimming etc and practice with Gavin...

Andrew..
May 26th, 2006, 10:53 PM
I hope we stick to the summer schedule currently planned. I'm supposed to be at the tournament outside of San Diego.

lindsayno1
May 27th, 2006, 12:03 AM
AWESOME! she looks great.. choppin RG...i hope thats the way forward! Roll on Wimbledon!

sweet_angel23
May 27th, 2006, 08:17 AM
she looks really fit =]
is her back completely fine??any updates with the bulging disk?

Andrew..
May 27th, 2006, 12:57 PM
I really hope she reconsiders playing a warmup.

Ty-Ty
May 27th, 2006, 01:36 PM
If she does, it'd be Eastbourne probably, no?

Andrew..
May 27th, 2006, 01:39 PM
A assume so. Eastbourne is really strong though. I'd play Birmingham, which is shaping up to be a Mickey Mouse tournament.

Ty-Ty
May 27th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Birmingham sounds smarter, so naturally Lindsay will pick Eastbourne.

Going to Wimbledon not having played a match since March could not get much stupider. She's just better play something.

mike/topgun
May 27th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Yeah, and all we can do is to wish she plays a warmup:p
Well, presumably she's not going to play in Wimbledon without match practice for 3 months...
2001 was more less similar - besides the fact that she did win 2 events, was n2/n3 in the ranks and got injured in Miami QF(against ElenaD:tape: ) what caused her a 3 months layoff, then she came back in Eastbourne winning the thing in style.
I hope her bulging disc is not bothering her too much, same time, realisticaly, I'm not expecting a great performance after such a long time spent away from the tour.
Lindsay is a great champ, and she knows what she needs to do, to win slams, and even being away for 3 months shouldn't be a big problem, if she returns 100% healthy...well let's hope she does.
an important comment from Lindsay:
I don't play well unhealthy, and I'm always careful in the back of my mind. Some people can come off the court having won the match with a torn ligament, but I can't do that.

Andrew..
May 27th, 2006, 11:40 PM
You actually think she still has a back injury? Please tell me you're being sarcastic.

Andrew..
May 27th, 2006, 11:41 PM
an important comment from Lindsay:
I don't play well unhealthy, and I'm always careful in the back of my mind. Some people can come off the court having won the match with a torn ligament, but I can't do that.
Oh. So, that's why we lost that gimme-semifinal at the US Open in 2004.

Good outlook.

MH0861
May 28th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Oh. So, that's why we lost that gimme-semifinal at the US Open in 2004.

Good outlook.

Are you being serious? She could barely move and tried as hard as she could - she didn't retire, and it was 6-4 in the third.

Frederic
May 28th, 2006, 05:01 PM
she could have won this match... She was leading 3/1 in the third...
I don't understand anything about what's going on. She doesn't seem to be really hurt by the bugling disk... Does she make a deal for Wimbledon? Maybe... You know, nearly every Wimbledon champions didn't play a warm up, and Lindsay didn't play Eastbourne in 1999(if I remember well...).

mike/topgun
May 28th, 2006, 06:14 PM
You actually think she still has a back injury? Please tell me you're being sarcastic.
I'm sarcastic most of the times, but not with that statement.
What do you mean by "still"? A bulging disc - most times - is a chronic injury even if you're a young, physicaly fit person there's still a risk that even an operation won't do much with it...it's hard to play with pain or with a feeling that you're not fit. If you don't understand it Andrew, then it's only you're problem.
You know...I've seen so many Lindsays matches and I know when she's able to play her best - and always it's only when she's 100% fit :rolleyes:
Her game is based on confidence and on terrific accuracy of her groundstrokes, serve and return, so that every little distraction makes a big problem...Lindsays game (when she at her best) is almost perfect, that's why it's so important for her to be 100%. I do understand her :p

Frederic
May 28th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Do you mean that she may retire something like this summer? She can't play when she isn't fully healthy... Bugling disk is a problem that you barely can't recover from... So it's over... No miracles can happen now... Great achivement throught last year though.

mike/topgun
May 28th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Do you mean that she may retire something like this summer? She can't play when she isn't fully healthy
Don't be so pesimistic Frederic...even if Lindsays not 100%, she's still one of the best out there and she won't miss the opportunity to play in Wimbledon, then California Swing and US Open, IF she's able to play(not neccessarly her best tennis). Have a look on her summer schedule;)
I mean, that presumably, she's not going to win a slam, if she's not 100% fit... But she will probably play and certainly will try to make it - that's what I'm sure of.
Bugling disk is a problem that you barely can't recover from... So it's over... No miracles can happen now... Great achivement throught last year though.
you're right, but she's young and with a good physiotherapist she can heal it, mostly rehab it to a position where she can play...Last year was one of Lindsays best seasons along with '98, '99, 2000, 2001 and 2004...I'd like to see the history to repeat one more time, well with a better ending though.

Andrew..
May 29th, 2006, 01:54 PM
I'm sarcastic most of the times, but not with that statement.
What do you mean by "still"? A bulging disc - most times - is a chronic injury even if you're a young, physicaly fit person there's still a risk that even an operation won't do much with it...it's hard to play with pain or with a feeling that you're not fit. If you don't understand it Andrew, then it's only you're problem.
I'm familiar with the injury. You also conveniently left out in your expert analysis that the bulging disk will only become a major problem if it evolves into a ruptured or herniated disk. With a few weeks of rest and rehab, there shouldn't be any issues. Lindsay said that herself after IW.

You know...I've seen so many Lindsays matches and I know when she's able to play her best - and always it's only when she's 100% fit :rolleyes:
Her game is based on confidence and on terrific accuracy of her groundstrokes, serve and return, so that every little distraction makes a big problem...Lindsays game (when she at her best) is almost perfect, that's why it's so important for her to be 100%. I do understand her :p
Well, that's an issue. Not just with Lindsay, but with the entire WTA. The girls refuse to play through injury now. Fifteen, even ten years ago, you saw players sucking it up and playing through it. Now, I'm not saying you play through a potentially career threatening injury, but play through a muscle strain. Up 3-0 and in total control, it's not excuse to lose a match. Her focus is her problem. Ditto the rest of the WTA.

mike/topgun
May 29th, 2006, 05:47 PM
I'm familiar with the injury. You also conveniently left out in your expert analysis that the bulging disk will only become a major problem if it evolves into a ruptured or herniated disk. With a few weeks of rest and rehab, there shouldn't be any issues. Lindsay said that herself after IW.
You're right, but once you get a bulging disc there's always a possibilty that when you injure yourself again - i.e. in a hard fought Wimbledon final:tape: - it'll become more serious...and then it's only operation which could "heal" it. That doesn't mean that people cannot come back to tennis after rehabs, operations...but it's never the same as you were 100% fit.

Well, that's an issue. Not just with Lindsay, but with the entire WTA. The girls refuse to play through injury now. Fifteen, even ten years ago, you saw players sucking it up and playing through it. Now, I'm not saying you play through a potentially career threatening injury, but play through a muscle strain. Up 3-0 and in total control, it's not excuse to lose a match. Her focus is her problem. Ditto the rest of the WTA.

OK...but isn't Lindsay's game based on great precision and accuracy of her shots...well, lets say f.e. Mauresmo - could she play with a light injury that hampers her serve? - she'll possibly chase every ball down and wait for errors. And could Lindsay do the same - NO becouse she's not so physicaly strong. She is a fighter, but not when it comes to fighting against an injury. She's too tall, and I' m amazed that she won a slam with her poor speed on court. She moves well when she knows where to run...but changing directions etc. is a different thing - and when Lindsay can't go for her shots she becomes an easy target...and how could you be focused all the time in a stressful situation when you're in pain?...etc...etc...etc...Masha could :devil:
And I don't remember a match that Lindsay tanked (while she was clearly the better player) cos she was not focused enough to finish the match of...Vs Monica in 2002 YEC maybe:p Please give me some other examples Andrew;)
That match Vs Sveta in NY was a horror...right since there has appeared to be something wrong with Davenport's thigh I thought it was the definite end, cos Kuznetsova gained some confidence, then Lindsay decided to keep on fighting and she lost...with her opponent and the injury.
However, everyone who remembers that match knows that Lindsay should have won the whole event, but injury prevailed her from doing so...not Sveta. This year in AO Sveta was in not as good form as in USO'04, and she handed *injured* Lindsay the victory in the 2nd set. That's why I think Sveta isn't as a great player as Maria :lol:

Andrew..
May 30th, 2006, 02:16 AM
I'm not saying she tanks when she's injured. I'm saying she loses focus, doesn't fight, and subsequently loses. She didn't fight in the US Open semifinal. 3-0. 4-6. Loss. A hip flexor strain will hurt your mobility, but it won't stop you from playing. That's all mental, and she needs to get over it. As I said, I'm sure it was painful, but it's the US Open semifinal. You don't just drop dead.

And when she's healthy, I don't understand Lindsay's movement... When she was really huge, she moved better than she does now, and she's stick thin. It makes no sense.

mike/topgun
May 30th, 2006, 11:05 AM
And when she's healthy, I don't understand Lindsay's movement... When she was really huge, she moved better than she does now, and she's stick thin. It makes no sense.

Finally I can agree with you totally.
IMHO - Lindsay should gain some weight in order to reagain her dynamics...in 2001 she looked perfect, she moved comfortably and she was more dynamic, with those few kilos more. Nowadays, well since the start of this year, she looks too thin, that's in my opinion. Well, maybe she trained hard to be fit, and her body needs some more time to react for the change...but still injuries don't help.

A hip flexor strain will hurt your mobility, but it won't stop you from playing. That's all mental, and she needs to get over it. As I said, I'm sure it was painful, but it's the US Open semifinal. You don't just drop dead.

Agreed...but she was always like this. It's mental, and she's not even convinced to fight it...she's afraid of new/old injuries....rehabs for her are longer than for smaller, more compact girls...She's tall, well she's too tall to play tennis generally - she fits more for volleyball actually. If she had been like, lets say 6 years younger in that match against Sveta, she would have won it probably, but I doubt she would have tried particularly harder - she was more solid back then...she lost her focus, cos she was distracted not only by the pain, but also by the fear of long time injury she could sustain in result - that's what she said...She's a player who experienced alot of injuries and still managed to win 3 slams with a poor movement speed on court...She's one of the most talented players I have ever seen.

Andrew..
May 30th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Wimbly seeding update: No chance of a top four seed, unless one of the top four (Kim, Amelie, Nadia, Maria) pull out. Right now, Lindsay is looking at a #5 ranking. Dementieva can pass her with a SF; Justine can pass her with a final.

lindsayno1
May 30th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Wimbly seeding update: No chance of a top four seed, unless one of the top four (Kim, Amelie, Nadia, Maria) pull out. Right now, Lindsay is looking at a #5 ranking. Dementieva can pass her with a SF; Justine can pass her with a final.

how messed up are these rankings!

bet anything she gets sharapova...

GrandSlam05
May 30th, 2006, 08:38 PM
What are the special rules for top 4, top 8 players, etc? :confused:

mike/topgun
May 30th, 2006, 08:39 PM
yeah...Mary drops for sure, while Masha and Nadia will remain in top4 no matter what...but Justine, can get ahead of Lindsay only if she gets to the final or wins, what is very probable...
But is it that important to be seeded in top4 while you're in a bad or good form? The last two Wimbledon winners were seeded outside top 10...

What are the special rules for top 4, top 8 players, etc?

There are no special rules, but if you ask how the draw is made then -
Well, n1 is on the top and n2 on the bottom half of the draw - that's for sure.
Then they toss n3 and n4 to different halfs.
Seeds from 5-8 are drawn by toss f.e. in QF it can be like:
top half:
1 Vs 5 and 3 Vs 6
bottom half:
7 Vs 4 and 8 Vs 2
but easily it can be like
1 Vs 8 and 4 Vs 6 in the top half etc...
Players seeded from 9 to 16 are drawn to play against top 8 in last 16 etc...
Most times it's easier when you're seeded n1 - then you'll probably get someone around n32 in 1/16F, then like n16 in the 1/8, n8 in the quarters and maybe even n4 in the semis...
However, it's all bout luck and you're actual form.
Still don't know if I undrestood the question correctly :lol:

GrandSlam05
May 30th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Seeds from 5-8 are drawn by toss
Players seeded from 9 to 16 are drawn to play against top 8 in last 16 etc...:
Thank you, I did not know this.

mike/topgun
May 30th, 2006, 09:19 PM

You're welcome:)

Vacant
May 31st, 2006, 10:22 AM

More specifically, seeds 1-4 play 13-16, and seeds 5-8 play 9-12 in the 4th round.

mike/topgun
May 31st, 2006, 12:38 PM
More specifically, seeds 1-4 play 13-16, and seeds 5-8 play 9-12 in the 4th round
that's not true;)
look at f.e. this years RG draw:

Amelie Mauresmo FRA (1)
vs.
Vera Dushevina RUS

Jelena Jankovic SCG
vs. Match Statistics
Marion Bartoli FRA (25)

Ai Sugiyama JPN (22) 6 4 3
vs. Match Statistics Aravane Rezai
Aravane Rezai FRA 4 6 6

Tiantian Sun CHN
vs. Match Statistics
Nicole Vaidisova CZE (16)

Venus Williams USA (11)
vs.
Emma Laine FIN

Shuai Peng CHN
vs.
Karolina Sprem CRO

Sofia Arvidsson SWE (29)
vs.
Julia Vakulenko UKR

Jarmila Gajdosova SVK
vs.
Patty Schnyder SUI (7)

Maria Sharapova RUS (4)
vs.
Iveta Benesova CZE

Alicia Molik AUS
vs.
Anda Perianu ROM

Katarina Srebotnik SLO (24) 6 6
vs. Match Statistics Katarina Srebotnik
Ashley Harkleroad USA 3 2

Hana Sromova CZE 0 2
vs. Match Statistics Dinara Safina
Dinara Safina RUS (14) 6 6

Francesca Schiavone ITA (9)
vs.
Martina Muller GER

Kirsten Flipkens BEL 1 0
vs. Match Statistics Flavia Pennetta
Flavia Pennetta ITA (17) 6 6

Anna Chakvetadze RUS (27)
vs. Match Statistics
Na Li CHN

Mara Santangelo ITA
vs.
Svetlana Kuznetsova RUS (8)

Vacant
May 31st, 2006, 01:11 PM
that's not true;)
look at f.e. this years RG draw:

Amelie Mauresmo FRA (1)
vs.
Vera Dushevina RUS

Jelena Jankovic SCG
vs. Match Statistics
Marion Bartoli FRA (25)

Ai Sugiyama JPN (22) 6 4 3
vs. Match Statistics Aravane Rezai
Aravane Rezai FRA 4 6 6

Tiantian Sun CHN
vs. Match Statistics
Nicole Vaidisova CZE (16)

Venus Williams USA (11)
vs.
Emma Laine FIN

Shuai Peng CHN
vs.
Karolina Sprem CRO

Sofia Arvidsson SWE (29)
vs.
Julia Vakulenko UKR

Jarmila Gajdosova SVK
vs.
Patty Schnyder SUI (7)

Maria Sharapova RUS (4)
vs.
Iveta Benesova CZE

Alicia Molik AUS
vs.
Anda Perianu ROM

Katarina Srebotnik SLO (24) 6 6
vs. Match Statistics Katarina Srebotnik
Ashley Harkleroad USA 3 2

Hana Sromova CZE 0 2
vs. Match Statistics Dinara Safina
Dinara Safina RUS (14) 6 6

Francesca Schiavone ITA (9)
vs.
Martina Muller GER

Kirsten Flipkens BEL 1 0
vs. Match Statistics Flavia Pennetta
Flavia Pennetta ITA (17) 6 6

Anna Chakvetadze RUS (27)
vs. Match Statistics
Na Li CHN

Mara Santangelo ITA
vs.
Svetlana Kuznetsova RUS (8)

Erm, 1 plays 16, 7 plays 11, 4 plays 14 and 8 plays 9 in the 4th round. So how was I wrong?

Andrew..
May 31st, 2006, 02:45 PM
Erm, 1 plays 16, 7 plays 11, 4 plays 14 and 8 plays 9 in the 4th round. So how was I wrong?
You're correct. ;)

mike/topgun
May 31st, 2006, 03:26 PM
so, this joke;) was not that funny, i guess:p

Andrew..
May 31st, 2006, 03:28 PM
so, this joke;) was not that funny, i guess:p
But, it wasn't a joke.

mike/topgun
May 31st, 2006, 04:25 PM
But, it wasn't a joke.
it was a joke, but not funny really, same time I just wanted to perfectly show how it's done in example
that's not true;)
Well, I've been told many times, that I had a weird sense of humour...my bad.

Andrew..
May 31st, 2006, 04:54 PM
I don't get it.

Vacant
May 31st, 2006, 04:58 PM
Neither do I.

mike/topgun
May 31st, 2006, 05:33 PM
I don't get it.
Neither do I.

"...and you're not the only one":p

:wavey:

edit---> from IW Davenport-Hingis postmatch interview:

Q. Why not just take off three months and then go to the grass?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I might do that. We'll see.

:rolleyes:

Loughyunijen
May 31st, 2006, 10:49 PM
just one off subject guys.....

does anyone know which hotel the USO uses for its players ?

Andrew..
May 31st, 2006, 11:07 PM
For top players, either the Ritz or Four Seasons in Midtown.

Loughyunijen
Jun 1st, 2006, 10:34 AM

Crap! Quite expensive then! Although I could see myself at the Ritz.....!

lindsayno1
Jun 1st, 2006, 03:10 PM
LOL Jen....i didnt think u were being serious on msn bout that!!!

GrandSlam05
Jun 1st, 2006, 03:21 PM
What about the scrubs?

lindsayno1
Jun 1st, 2006, 06:36 PM
Bronx ;)

Loughyunijen
Jun 2nd, 2006, 11:44 AM
LOL Jen....i didnt think u were being serious on msn bout that!!!

I'm a classy chick....if im doing NY...Im doing it NY style! ;) LOL

Frederic
Jun 3rd, 2006, 09:31 AM
herniated disk.
I'm sorry, I thought it was what Lindsay was suffering from. So can you tell me the difference between a herniated disk and a bulging disk?

mike/topgun
Jun 3rd, 2006, 10:31 AM
So can you tell me the difference between a herniated disk and a bulging disk?
A "bulging disk" is an injury, but the disk hasn't yet permanently bulged out from its proper place...it's bulging, but it hasn't bulged out yet...
A herniated disk is an injury, just like a "bulging disk", where the disk has already bulged out and it presses on the nearby spinal cord nerves...The herniated disk is more severe, and there's really a slight margine between bulging disk and herniated disk...Well sometimes it's enough to rest it, rahab, rest, rehab by strengthening your back muscles, stabilizing excersises etc. but sometimes a surgery is required...
It's an injury, that is permanent for life. You may not return to your normal activity before you're not 100% fit - that means in Lindsay's case, that she should be able to twist, run etc. without feeling any pain...only then she can return.
If Lindsay does comeback to quickly, she may aggravate it, what could be the definite end of her career. :tape:

Frederic
Jun 3rd, 2006, 11:33 AM
Thanks a lot for the explanation. There isn't a huge difference between the two things though... You know, I want to be a physical therapist, and I'm studying that kind of things, so I understand really well your explanation, but my lake of knowledge in english prevents me to understand subtle differences like that without explanations... Shame on me!!!

mike/topgun
Jun 3rd, 2006, 12:17 PM
Thanks a lot for the explanation. You know, I want to be a physical therapist, and I'm studying that kind of things,
You're welcome.
That's an interesting branch of medicine, cos you learn how to treat common injuries as well as those specific ones mainly with your own hands:)
Well, I wanted to be a radiologist, but I resigned midway through:p, and now I'm studying...law - you never know what life will bring to you.