PDA

View Full Version : What is the single best shot you've ever seen in women's tennis?

"Topaz"
May 23rd, 2002, 03:25 AM
In my case, nothing has surpassed the running shot between the legs executed up in the air by Mary Pierce at Roland Garros 2000.

How about you? The rule is that it must be a single winning shot, not a repeated consistent one.

AjdeNate!
May 23rd, 2002, 03:28 AM
I was just gonna say that! 2000 Roland Garros Quarterfinals...Pierce v. Seles. Without a doubt!

Plus she hit that off a Seles overhead smash and smacked it down the line for a winner past a stunned Monica! I dreaded that match, Monica lost her best chance for a slam title from that loss, but that shot was A W E S O M E !

Pureracket
May 23rd, 2002, 03:32 AM
Well, I'm not sure that this qualifies, but the single best shot that I remember is Venus' matchpoint ace at Wimbledon('00) in the quarterfinal match against Martina Hingis. Not only was it a fabulous serve into the ad court out wide to Hingis' backhand, but it was significant in that it signified the emergence of Venus' current dominance at the event.

tennisvideos
May 23rd, 2002, 03:49 AM
OK, this wasn't the best shot.. but it was one of the greatest points in womens tennis history - I never saw the match but I have it on video...

1974 USO Final - Billie-Jean King beat Evonne Goolagong 7-5 in the 3rd set, and in the 3rd set there was a point that generated so much electricity that the crowd all rose to their feet immediately in a crescendo of hysterical cheering. Those who have also watched this match will know the point I am talking about. Both players had to cover every inch of the court as they chased down lobs, drop shots and angles in a thrilling rally. The only shame was that the point ended with BJK missing a volley. But what a point, what a crowd reaction, and what a match!

Craig :)

Berlin_Calling
May 23rd, 2002, 04:16 AM
Before I even saw all the posts, i knew it was my mary hitting the shot bewtween her legs in roland garros 2000. But then I came in and half of u had schosen that shot!:o

Shane54
May 23rd, 2002, 04:19 AM
If you are looking at a shot over a consistent amount of time, there is no doubt that Graf's forehand(for its time) was the best shot. And still holds up today.

Hingiswinsthis
May 23rd, 2002, 04:26 AM
Martina Hingis up 5-3 in the 3rd set 30-15, running one handed back hand winner down the line vs. the Nubian Princess:eek: :bounce: at the 99' US Open

"Topaz"
May 23rd, 2002, 04:39 AM
Wow! These are all great replies.

Hingiswinsthis, which match was that? What year? Also, as I'm not too familiar with royalty, who is the Nubian Princess?

Fingon
May 23rd, 2002, 04:50 AM
Called me biased, but I don't know if it's the BEST shot, but surely one of the best I have seen.

Justine's drop shot volley against Serena, taking the ball from behind the line of her body and nearly from the floor, the ball barely passed the net and died on the other side.

Hingiswinsthis
May 23rd, 2002, 04:59 AM
sry for the confusion Tennispower, i edited that post:)

OK Fingon, yea that shot by JUJU was really INCREDIBLE:kiss: :hearts: :drool: !!! I actually taped that match, the only other player besides Martina i have done so lol:wavey:

Pureracket
May 23rd, 2002, 05:00 AM
Hingiswinsthis,
Yes!!!!! That shot was indeed a brilliant one. That night Ms. Hingis drove a million daggers through my heart. :(

damn, she needs to get well soon.

RYNJ
May 23rd, 2002, 05:01 AM
Since no one has said it yet, I'll be the first. Venus WIlliams hitting a 127 MPH serve against Mary Pierce in Zurich.

vertiklychalengd
May 23rd, 2002, 08:06 AM
in 2001 aus open, evei dominkovic running for a shot and hat it so that it curved around the net post and landed in, the ball travelled lower than the net but she still got the point!

Oizo
May 23rd, 2002, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by Shane54
If you are looking at a shot over a consistent amount of time, there is no doubt that Graf's forehand(for its time) was the best shot. And still holds up today.
Dito ;)

Miranda
May 23rd, 2002, 08:20 AM
i like justine's backhand down the line :eek:

Volcana
May 23rd, 2002, 11:57 AM
ASV drop sot form the baseline on match point AGAINST her. THis is the one referred to as a 'death wish'. Opponent and match escape me.

Greenout
May 23rd, 2002, 12:23 PM
Hitting a one handed volley return winner on her knees!!!

nikita771
May 23rd, 2002, 12:30 PM
When I saw the title of this thread, I instantly thought about the shot that Mary made at the French. It was so dynamic and I loved the expression on her face after she did it.

Darran
May 23rd, 2002, 12:35 PM
Volcana the match was at Wimbledon 1991 against Raffiella Reggi and i was gonna say that point also, ASV was so far behind the baseline at that point as well, reggi was so shocked by that she hardly won another point all match and duly lost...

martinafan
May 23rd, 2002, 12:36 PM
When i saw this thread, i thought of martina hingis' shot from the 1999 us open semi against venus in the third set when she hit a running single handed backhand winner. she ran from well behind the baseline to reach a drop shot and hit it past venus who was at the net with one hand.

John Newcombe (my commentator) was shocked at the shot. He said something like: "I don't believe she got to it, I don't believe she hit a winner, that was an amazing shot!"

Just the way he said it, and because it was such an important time - it gave her match point! made it one of the best shots i've ever seen....

alas - i've never seen mary's shot that seems so popular with everyone....

sartrista7
May 23rd, 2002, 01:04 PM
I was going to say either Mary's between-the-legs or Justine's reflex drop-shot, but they've been done.
Two other incredible shots I've seen:

1) Anna Kournikova vs Maria Vento-Kabchi, Wimbledon 2000 R3, down 4-5 0-40 in the first set (3 set points for Vento-Kabchi). Kournikova plays superbly, running Maria all over the court, and finally comes to net with an open court to aim for; all she needs to do is tap the volley in as Maria is way off court. The aesthete in her decides to caress the ball over the net for a spin-laden, gorgeous drop volley. LOVED it.

2) Anastasia Myskina vs Lisa Raymond, Edgbaston (I forget the year): Myskina shanks a second serve and the bounce is so weird that it actually bounces twice before Raymond can reach it - a drop-serve, if you like.

Sam L
May 23rd, 2002, 01:36 PM
Monica Seles @ 1992 Australian Open Final

Mary Joe Fernandez hit a wondeful volley which landed flat and was floating away. Monica was well in the lead in the match and could've given that point away. But she ran down (from the baseline) to get the ball. She got there and hit the ball with two hands. The ball went around the net post and landed in Mary Joe's court and left her standing.

tommyk75
May 23rd, 2002, 01:42 PM
Martina Navratlilova's stretch backhand volley was just amazing. Players like Seles and Evert would crush the ball, and Martina would hit amazing winners, doing a 360 as she hit the ball. She did it time and time again.

Runner-up: It might not have been as effective as Graf's forehand, but Sabatini's backhand down the line was just amazing when she chose to rip it. It was so hard and had so much spin; it always looked like it would go out but then the topspin would make the ball suddenly curl in the line. A work of art.

tennischick
May 23rd, 2002, 02:06 PM
Hingis' backhand drop-shots that curve to the right and fall just behind the net in her opponent's ad court. a beauty to watch over and over. i want that shot! :drool:

Hagar
May 23rd, 2002, 02:15 PM
Justine's shot from the match against Serena. Incredible. Pure instinct. Everybody starts to yell when they see it.
Too bad I did not see that shot by Mary.

brickhousesupporter
May 23rd, 2002, 02:29 PM
Serena vs Martina Hingis 99 Us. Open finals. The Backhand down the line while hitting it on one leg. That was one of the best shots IMO.

irma
May 23rd, 2002, 02:39 PM
Kimmy's dropshot against tauziat in filderstadt from behind the baseline
Serena's volley after matchpoint after along point in her match against Justine at the masters last year, who said that she can only hit hard? :kiss:

Amanda
May 23rd, 2002, 04:11 PM
Serena vs Martine US Open 2001 SF match... Serena's perfect serve which almost took Martina's shoulder off.......amazing. Martina was in total disbelief.

Jakeev
May 23rd, 2002, 06:15 PM
Was it 1991 that Aranxta hit that drop shot against Raffaella? For some reason I thought that was 1989 the year she won the French oh well.

My favorite shot was when a still very agile but older Martina N. hit that incredible backhand volley from behind for a winner against Barbara Rittner in the third round at Wimbledon.

And many many eons ago I remember watching a U.S. Open match were Mima Jausovec had fell down but still hit a winner while she was sitting on the ground. Can't remember that opponent but I remember she stood their in total disbelief.

And this year, Emanuelle Gagliardi had mishit a slice backhand against Daniela Hantuchova in the Indian Wells semi for a winner. Now that had to be the greatest mishit I have seen.

Task
May 23rd, 2002, 06:54 PM
Natasha Zvereva vs. Monica Seles at Wimbledon 98.

Monica has set point and goes for a drop shot, Natasha rushs the net and hits a volley, just a tap like a golfer going for a putt, in the opposite direction and saves the set.

So smooth. Natasha has the magic touch.

barmaid
May 23rd, 2002, 08:09 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sartrista7
[
The aesthete in her ???

Well, Anna has probably had a lot in her...but thats a "first" but we all know what you meant Ha!:rolleyes: But I have to go for Mary's between the legs shot as well....Martina and Anna made an Adidas video in Australia with Safin and I forget and Martina used the same shot as the four of them were playing under disco lights..just for fun!!:D

barmaid:wavey:

Hingiswinsthis
May 23rd, 2002, 08:10 PM
We must also not forget the backhand save drop volley by Serena Williams down match point against Martina 2001 Aussie Open. I know i wouldb't be able to hit something like that down match point!:eek:

DEETHELICK
May 23rd, 2002, 09:59 PM
Kim Clijsters: FO Final, Jenny hit a hard forehand that pulled Kimmy out so wide, yet Kimmy returned with a forehand winner down the line.....how the hell she got that shot in amazes me!!

Justine: Acute angle topspin backhand down matchpoints against venus in the AI final tiebreak!

Arantxa: She hit so many 'you gotta be kidding me' type shots, but in her day, when she used to rip that backhand it was a sight to watch! Martina H has now perfected this too!

So many by Jen, Lindsay, Venus and Serena too!