PDA

View Full Version : does lena NEED 3 setters?

phoebec3p
May 12th, 2006, 09:57 AM
guys!! forgive me but is it just me or does anyone else think that elena actually needs the tough 3 setters to get far in a tourney?

just look at the stats!! this glorious lovely lady is driving me crazy!! why lose to hingis??!! couldn't she have lost against momo?!! no offense to hingis fans (I'm one of them) but lena beat her 3 times in a row!! i'm just :fiery:

Tokyo
R16 H2H SREBOTNIK, KATARINA SLO 29 W 2-6 6-1 7-5
Q H2H (5) VAIDISOVA, NICOLE CZE 14 W 3-6 6-1 6-2
S H2H (4) MYSKINA, ANASTASIA RUS 13 W 6-4 3-6 6-4
F H2H (W) HINGIS, MARTINA SUI 117 W 6-2 6-0

Indian Wells
R64 H2H (Q) YAKIMOVA, ANASTASIYA BLR 104 W 6-4 3-6 6-3
R32 H2H (28) MIRZA, SANIA IND 45 W 5-7 6-4 6-4
R16 H2H LI, NA CHN 70 W 6-3 6-2
Q H2H (8) IVANOVIC, ANA SCG 19 W 2-6 6-4 6-2
S H2H (1) HENIN-HARDENNE, JUSTINE BEL 3 W 2-6 7-5 7-5
F H2H (3) SHARAPOVA, MARIA RUS 5 L 6-1 6-2

Miami
R64 H2H (W) TATISHVILI, ANNA GEO 1144 W 6-3 6-1
R32 H2H KRAJICEK, MICHAELLA NED 56 W 6-0 6-1
R16 H2H (22) GOLOVIN, TATIANA FRA 24 L 6-2 6-1

Warsaw
Q H2H (W) RADWANSKA, AGNIESZKA ROMA POL 309 W 5-7 6-3 6-1
S H2H (1) CLIJSTERS, KIM BEL 2 L 7-5 6-4

and now in Berlin against Vakulenko she got through pretty easily then she lost to Hingis!! grrrr!!!

does anyone want to comment on this?!

space_gracie
May 12th, 2006, 10:13 AM
IMHO, it's not that she really needs three-setters. I think she's just mentally tougher than most girls when she's playing 3 sets

miffedmax
May 12th, 2006, 04:55 PM
I think there was an interview where Elena said that the tough three setters get her focused on winning.

The problem is, of course that she's sometimes spent by the final. From out here we can all spin all sorts of theories about what goes on in that beautiful blonde head of hers, but this is one of the reasons a lot of us wish she would go with a coach other than Mommy Vera.

Dementinator
May 12th, 2006, 05:18 PM
well the HIngis loss wasnt entirely Lena playing badly , she didnt play the RIGHT type of game and Clay IS NOT her best surface ,never has been ,never will be ,we forget that because of the RG final ,and that Lenas physical prowess etc can give the edge on clay ,but her actual game is for fast courts ,and there she would normally murder Hingis everytime ,like she has done.

But ,yes ,sometimes Lena needs a battle ,to go far ,it seems to psych her up and she becomes the terminator then ,too many easy matches are not ideal for her.

The draw didnt help much here by putting her with Hinigis so early on ,if Lena had got a stage further ,well who knows what could have happened.

Danči Dementia
May 14th, 2006, 01:50 AM
well the HIngis loss wasnt entirely Lena playing badly , she didnt play the RIGHT type of game and Clay IS NOT her best surface ,never has been ,never will be ,we forget that because of the RG final ,and that Lenas physical prowess etc can give the edge on clay ,but her actual game is for fast courts ,and there she would normally murder Hingis everytime ,like she has done.

But ,yes ,sometimes Lena needs a battle ,to go far ,it seems to psych her up and she becomes the terminator then ,too many easy matches are not ideal for her.

The draw didnt help much here by putting her with Hinigis so early on ,if Lena had got a stage further ,well who knows what could have happened.

well I persanaly love whan Lena plays 3 sets matches 'cos she always show her amazing condition and I just love the way she figths in every match but I don't think she need 3 set matches to get farter in a tournament but seriously don't you love it when she win 7-6 in tha 3th set. I do and very much.

Paco
May 14th, 2006, 10:57 AM
well I persanaly love whan Lena plays 3 sets matches 'cos she always show her amazing condition and I just love the way she figths in every match but I don't think she need 3 set matches to get farter in a tournament but seriously don't you love it when she win 7-6 in tha 3th set. I do and very much.
I just love when she wins. I don't care if it's 7-6 in 3rd ot 6-0 6-0.
But hard 3rd setters are unhealthy. I mean we have high blood pressure :p