PDA

View Full Version : Hip-Hip For Chanda

GogoGirl
May 22nd, 2002, 08:09 PM
Well it appears that Chanda can play on clay too. She took out a darn good clay-courter in ASV.

"WAY TO GO - CHANDA" "GOOD LUCK"

Seles advances; Rubin ousts Sanchez-Vicario

Monica Seles, the heavy favorite to title this week, dispatched Spaniard Marta Marrero, 7-5, 6-2.

Madrid, Spain (Sports Network) - Top-seeded American Monica Seles reached the quarterfinals, but second-seeded and defending champion Arantxa Sanchez- Vicario was an upset victim at the hands of American Chanda Rubin Wednesday at the clay-court Madrid Open.

Seles, the heavy favorite to title this week, dispatched Spaniard Marta Marrero, 7-5, 6-2, but Sanchez-Vicario, one of Spain's all-time tennis greats, was sent packing by the unseeded Rubin, 6-3, 7-6 (8-6), at this final French Open tune-up.

Sanchez-Vicario claimed this championship last year by stopping Angeles Montolio in an all-Spanish final.

Another upset occurred on Day 3 when Colombian Fabiola Zuluaga dismissed eighth-seeded Italian Rita Grande, 7-5, 7-5. Grande upended Montolio here on Tuesday.

One other seed advanced to the round of eight, as No. 5 Anna Smashnova of Israel leveled Australian Alicia Molik, 7-5, 6-2, to set-up a battle with Seles.

Seles and Smashnova are the only seeds still standing this week.

In Wednesday's other second-round action, Spaniard Magui Serna subdued Aussie Nicole Pratt, 6-2, 6-2; France's Emilie Loit handled Zimbabwe's Cara Black, 6-4, 6-4; Argentine Paola Suarez defeated Russian Dinara Safina, 7-5, 6-1; and another Argentine, Clarisa Fernandez, held off American Marissa Irvin, 6-4, 3-6, 6-0.

Thursday's other quarters will pit Rubin against Serna, Loit versus Zuluaga and Suarez against Fernandez in a rare all-Argentine affair.

The winner of this $170,000 tournament will claim $27,000

Ntosake
May 22nd, 2002, 08:23 PM
:eek: ASV is a good clay player so this is a good win for Rubin. Not to take anything from Chanda, I just thought she wouldn't get past ASV.

Queen Akasha
May 22nd, 2002, 08:32 PM
RAISE THE ROOF FOR CHANDA
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Not to take anything from Aranxta, but she is not as dominate on clay court as she used to be.

Sonja
May 22nd, 2002, 08:34 PM
Congratulations to Chanda on a great win!

Wizkid
May 22nd, 2002, 09:01 PM
Well it appears that Chanda can play on clay too. Well it is her favorite surface but anyway good luck Chanda in the quarters against Magui it will be tough but you can do it.:)

sartrista7
May 22nd, 2002, 09:10 PM
Chanda's a good clay-courter anyway, but this is a great result after a lay-off - it's looking good for her :D

Brian Stewart
May 22nd, 2002, 09:40 PM
Let's hope she can keep the mojo going. She's had to beat 2 very good clay court players. And she'll have to beat a good clay player every round for the rest of the way.

Who said this was a weak tourney? :)

mishar
May 22nd, 2002, 11:48 PM
I would not say clay is Chanda's best surface.
She's had some good results on it, but I remember reading an interview where she said it's a real struggle for her. She likes fast hard courts, and she's had some great results indoors.

CONGRATS CHANDA! WELCOME BACK!:bounce:

tennischick
May 23rd, 2002, 12:33 AM
it's so nice to see Chanda's baaaack!!!!! i hope she remains injury free. i've always loved her tennis. :bounce: :bounce:

Richie77
May 23rd, 2002, 06:18 AM
Way to go Chanda!! :bounce: :bounce:

I hope the third time coming back is the charm for her...she's still young enough that she can make another serious run at the Top 10.

Best of luck Chanda in Madrid and Roland Garros!! :)