PDA

View Full Version : Which of the following nations do you think is the strongest in women's tennis?

▀coene
May 22nd, 2002, 07:55 PM
Which of the following nations do you think is the strongest in women's tennis right now?

▀coene
May 22nd, 2002, 07:58 PM
I vote for USA because they have 5 women in the top 10.

Josh
May 22nd, 2002, 08:01 PM
USA of course

▀coene
May 22nd, 2002, 08:07 PM
The poll on www.wtatour.com says 50% for Belgium but I think the poll doesn't work well. Therefor is more interesting to put it on this website because everyone can vote only once.

Alberto
May 22nd, 2002, 08:35 PM
and Spain??? :confused:

irma
May 22nd, 2002, 08:39 PM
america no doubt!
1,2 and 3 are all americans afterall!

Lleyki
May 22nd, 2002, 08:41 PM
Belgium rules!!! ;)

Mikey
May 22nd, 2002, 08:47 PM
i voted for the USA. first of all, they have the top 3 ranked players in the world, 5 in the top 10 overall. they have 17 players ranked in the top 100. and there are 99 players in the top 1000. yes, 1000 seems a little low, but there are way more than 1000 people in the world, so that's pretty impressive. belgium seems like they are also strong b/c of their dominancy in the top ranks. they have 2 players in the top 10. however, they also only have 2 in the top 100. granted, they only have 10 players playing, that's not bad, but the whole scope of things makes it a little weaker. france would probably be my second choice. they had some two top 5 players a little while back (not too long ago - pierce and tauziat) but now they're out. they're still good though - 3 in the top 20, 8 in the top 100. pierce is still outside the top 100, but she's coming back too. they have 57 players in the top 1000. russia has 1 in the top 20, 9 in the top 100, 47 in the top 1000. they're also pretty strong. but usa seems by far the strongest. that's why its so shocking they lost in first round fed cup :eek:

katrientje
May 22nd, 2002, 08:52 PM
I think when you look at the numbers it's logical to say that the USA is the strongest, but I think Belgium is really strong too, because it's such a little country.
It's normal that the US has the most topplayers, it's bigger than the whole European continent.

Lleyki
May 22nd, 2002, 09:01 PM
well said Katrientje ;)

angele87
May 22nd, 2002, 09:24 PM
Although I would really love to say Belgium, I think it's the US because the have the most players in the top then including the top three women in the world

Sevenseas
May 22nd, 2002, 09:36 PM
Obviously, it is USA. American players are strong and good fighters.

It's really fun to watch them play. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

herodoto
May 22nd, 2002, 09:40 PM
right now obviously is belgium, but depends the surface. on clay belgium; on harcourts usa. this poll is at Wta website too, and there Belgium is leading by far with the 50% of the votes (i saw it just a few minutes ago)

TeNnIsFaN
May 22nd, 2002, 09:49 PM
Definitely the USA! :bounce:

paigery
May 22nd, 2002, 09:54 PM
Hey tenNisfan, you know what the answer is. Just look at the Top Ten players. Wave that flag baby!!!!!!!
http://www.funnybunch.com/1/samerisong.gif

Cybelle Darkholme
May 22nd, 2002, 09:54 PM
Anyone who says anything but the USA is just deluding themselves. Sure Belgium is doing fantastic but they also have losing records against the american players as well as no grandslams and less tournaments. So really in comparison there is no contest. The USA rules womens tennis.

arn
May 22nd, 2002, 10:02 PM
USA still leading miles before all the rest! In quality and quantity!

anabel
May 22nd, 2002, 10:09 PM
Well Usa...but Usa is as big as all Europe so i dont think thats a fair comparation.

Belgium has two great players, but nothing more.

Russia has lot of players, but none is good ( at the moment) lol

No idea why Italy is in the poll

and although France has lots of players too...

... i think Spain is the best country so far :D

duki
May 22nd, 2002, 10:10 PM
Oh please - what a question!

#1 comes from the US, #2 comes from the US, #3 comes from the US, .... and when I saw that several of you voted for Belgium I really went into fits of laughter :D

Bright Red
May 22nd, 2002, 11:38 PM
You can't be serious with this poll! :)

Not only does the US own half of the top 10, but we also have more players in the top 100 than any other country. The USA rocks!!!!

Sal U. Lite
May 23rd, 2002, 08:57 AM
USA!!!!!

I can't believe the Sanex website has Belgium with approx. 50% of the vote, and USA in LAST PLACE with only 10%.:confused:

Looks like some folks are stuffing the ballot box......

:)

Shane54
May 23rd, 2002, 09:01 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm? Now lets see boys and girls ...hmmmmm?

Venus.....Jennifer....Serena.....Monica....Lindsay .....hmmmmm?

This is really a hard one......:p :p

Beat
May 23rd, 2002, 09:44 AM
the dominance of the us players is suffocating, that's why we need the belgian players more than ever, now that martina is out. with lindsay returning, we could even see american players at number 1-5...

Williams Rulez
May 23rd, 2002, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by herodoto
right now obviously is belgium, but depends the surface. on clay belgium; on harcourts usa. this poll is at Wta website too, and there Belgium is leading by far with the 50% of the votes (i saw it just a few minutes ago)
Serena just beat Justine on clay... :rolleyes:

And what about grass? And indoors? :rolleyes:

I'd say USA... :)

herodoto
May 23rd, 2002, 11:29 AM
let's see RG pig, and stop to stalk me, get a life you martina hater!
use your 25 posts per day for something positive and not only for to post crap (if you can do it)

Williams Rulez
May 23rd, 2002, 11:31 AM
lol... look in the mirror before you speak... :)

herodoto
May 23rd, 2002, 11:37 AM
i don't stalk you, dumb (why i would like to do it?? at least must be like 1000 things more interesting than you each second) but you only shows your hate in all your posts, and you don't respect the opinion of the ppl who are not agree with your "brilliant mind" just get a life! and some education

Williams Rulez
May 23rd, 2002, 11:40 AM
Haha... look who is talking... :)

herodoto
May 23rd, 2002, 11:45 AM
i am talking, everybody knows that i don't like the tennis of venus or serena, but i don't hate them (i hate some williams fans but not them), that's the difference between you and me, you are a hater, a dumb hater ;)

Williams Rulez
May 23rd, 2002, 11:47 AM
Yup... I'm a hater, I hate you... :)

I never post anything hateful on any players... unlike you.

herodoto
May 23rd, 2002, 11:52 AM
i don't hate you, you are too insignificant, i am not going to waste my time with you. i have something to do called job (must be a new word for you) keep denying that you are not a hater maybe somebody will believe you. and if you are not a hater what are you? just an insignificant dumb?
see ya boy-girl and grow up just a little, let that child attitude behind you, of course just if you can, i have my doubts
you are the new member of my ignore list, i am not going to see anymore your crap (thanx god):D

Williams Rulez
May 23rd, 2002, 11:56 AM
You too... :kiss:

lol, so much for being 'smart'... didn't I just tell you I'm a hater?

And trust me... many will believe me... :)

herodoto
May 23rd, 2002, 12:01 PM
i believe you, you are a dumb ;) you convince me :) and don't waste your time replying i am not going to read it. i am leaving and the ignore list is waiting for you ;) :D

Williams Rulez
May 23rd, 2002, 12:29 PM
herodoto
May 23rd, 2002 08:01 PM This person is on your Ignore List. To view this post click [here]

:)

Zhao
May 23rd, 2002, 01:14 PM
No doubt USA is the strongest n Belgium is the only country able to threaten them

Grice
May 23rd, 2002, 02:56 PM
due credit should be given to Belgium for producing two top players and several others in the past too... like Van Roost (?)

however, if measured in terms of quantity and quality, the USA seems to have the upperhand. besides, the fact that players from other countries flock to the US for training and to live there shows that the USA has one of the best (if not the best) tennis training programmes, systems in the world...

btw, there's no need to start calling people names. everyone is entitled to their opinions...

Amanda
May 23rd, 2002, 04:07 PM
USA--by far. The USA will continue to dominate for many years. The other countries are making strides, but the USA is many years ahead. Even the lower ranked US players are enough to keep the US comfortable.

▀coene
May 23rd, 2002, 04:26 PM
I expected a different result then on www.wtatour.com and that's why I put the poll on this site.
I agree with the result. America is the strongest country.

Petersmiler
May 23rd, 2002, 04:36 PM
I think it may be better to do it by continent, rather than country. After all, USA is as big as a continent! That would make it a little more accurate and may shut a few Americans up !

Fedcup
May 23rd, 2002, 05:04 PM
As a nation? Of course Belgium.
They won last year Fed Cup and the USA has already lost this years first round. Belgium players really can play as a team

If you ask wich nation got the best and most tennis players in the world than I have defenitly to say the USA with Belgium in second place. A year and a half ago we (belgium) had 5 players in top fifty and 4 in top 40 with Henin,Clijsters,Van Roost and Appelmans. It's a pity those last two made and end on their careers because I think they still could be in top twenty.

For a little country it's great to produce so many top players.

RAA
May 23rd, 2002, 05:39 PM
Yes, USA is the strongest now.
you can't argue that its unfair because America is soo big. Look at the mens side. BIG america doesn't dominate at all there right now. it did for while, but not anymore.

Deira
May 23rd, 2002, 06:14 PM
The US of A :D

Jakeev
May 23rd, 2002, 07:13 PM
Fedcup I respect your opinion but you can base Belgium being the best just based on FedCup results.

I mean in the top 100 that country at the moment as two players and in the top ten. But they are not dominating women's tennis like the Americans still are.

The USA has dominated tournament wins this year with I think 10 titles (the sisters have won 7 of those) and several runnerup finishes.

As for the Russians, I think they have THE BEST crop of women ranked outside the top twenty.

shirley
May 23rd, 2002, 07:17 PM
USA

Definitely America, I mean look at the Top 3 players in the world - all Americans. And all last year's Grand Slam Ladies Singles winners were Americans.

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/flags/usa.gif

Though for a small nation, Belgium are up there too!