PDA

View Full Version : German Man Arrested For Stalking Serena

Couver
May 22nd, 2002, 07:15 PM
While Serena Williams was busy beating Jennifer Capriati in Saturday's semifinals of the Italian Open, a German man was being arrested by Italian police outside the Foro Italico in Rome on charges of stalking the 20-year-old Williams.

Four police cars pulled up outside the stadium and arrested 33-year-old Albrecht
Stromeyer on stalking charges. Stromeyer had been stopped by security guards after attempting to enter a restricted area of the German Open in Berlin last week. Williams reached the German Open final, falling to Justine Henin.

The third-ranked Williams defeated Henin 7-6 (8-6), 6-4, in yesterday's final of the
Italian Open and said she was satisfied with the security at the tournament site.

"I think the Tour has done a great job in letting me know what I needed to know to be safe," Williams said. "I feel safe and hopefully I'll continue to feel safe."

On April 30th, 1993, German Guenter Parche, a fanatical fan of Steffi Graf, stabbed
Monica Seles in the back during a match in Hamburg. Following that incident, both the
WTA and ATP increased security measures at tournaments, including positioning
security guards directly behind players during changeovers in an effort to prevent
potential attacks.

Dubravko Rajcevic, who was convicted of stalking former No. 1 Martina Hingis after an
incident outside the Nasdaq-100 Open in Key Biscayne, Florida, is currently serving a
two-year sentence in a Miami jail.

All these poor girls. What is wrong with these men.