PDA

View Full Version : Will one of the Belgians ever be nr1?

-Fienesse-
May 22nd, 2002, 04:33 PM
We, Belgians, all say that one of our girls: Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin, will be nr 1. When, we don't know...
What do you think, are we just to naive or is it possible that one of them makes it?

irma
May 22nd, 2002, 04:37 PM
of course it's possible, both proved they can play with anybody:D
Kimmy was already two matches from it away and she will get that chance again for sure, first she has to win a grand slam and the rest will come :cool:

Jem
May 22nd, 2002, 04:38 PM
I'd love to see one or both of them reach No. 1, but it will be very difficult. Barring horrific injury problems (which is very possible), I think Venus, Serena and Capriati have a stranglehold on the No. 1 position at the current moment. I'd say that Clijsters -- over Henin -- has the game and physique to reach the No. 1 spot. The key question is does she have the determination. I love Henin's game, but I'm not sure she has the power to dominate on faster surfaces, especially hard courts and indoors, to take the No. 1 ranking.

Mercury Rising
May 22nd, 2002, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Kim4ever
We, Belgians, all say that one of our girls: Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin, will be nr 1. When, we don't know...
What do you think, are we just to naive or is it possible that one of them makes it?
I never said that, it would be great, but I don't know it will happen, certainly with those Williamses on fire :o

Freefall
May 22nd, 2002, 05:24 PM
For sure they have a great chance. They're only 18 & 19. Look what great players Jen & Venus are, they didn't get to #1 until they were 22 & 25 between them.

venusfan
May 22nd, 2002, 05:33 PM
NOPE

Mazza
May 22nd, 2002, 05:35 PM
I think they both definatley can, Kim was so close at the AO this year, and they are both young so they have plenty of time to develop and win slams etc etc...

arn
May 22nd, 2002, 05:36 PM
I think they can, Both have the potential to do so. Kim is a great player who needs to be more consistent and injury-free. Justine still has a great possibility to improve

Lleyki
May 22nd, 2002, 06:03 PM
I am sure they will make it to #1 altough I know it will be very hard. I think Kim has a bigger chance of reaching #1 than Justine

Sonja
May 22nd, 2002, 06:18 PM
As young as they are, I can't imagine one of them not making #1 at some point in time. They are both in the Top 5 with immense talent and both seem hungry to win. As they gain more experience they'll be tougher and tougher to contend with. I wish them all the best!

Volcana
May 22nd, 2002, 06:47 PM
Venus is still 21. But the point is well taken. Right now, there's no clearly dominant player. Venus has 8 titles, Serena 5, Lindsay 5, Monica 4, Kim 4, Jelena 3, Justine 2, and Jenn only 2, yet she's #1.

This isn't the normal state of affairs. The best you can say is Venus is better at winning on her off days than the others. And given the relative youth of the combatants, I'd say it'll be a couple years before the smoke clears.

In any prior period in women's tennis, Jelena Dokic would be a prodigy, THE player to watch as the next GS champion. Right now, she's the fourth 'next' player we think of, after Serena, Justine and kim.

ßcoene
May 22nd, 2002, 07:04 PM
They certainly can become number one, but if Venus and Serena keep playing like now it will be difficult.
If Venus and Serena stay motivated then it will be very difficult for any other player to become number one.
But if the Williams sisters get injured or play few tournaments then Kim and Justine have a great chance.

Chibuku14
May 22nd, 2002, 07:06 PM
At one time Martina Hingis was 3000 ahead of Venus Williams.
For this reason she couldn't get to number one despite winning
the first two slams but she cut down the deficit by defending
them all. Where Kim and Justine are standing in the rankig is
very close. And to put them in the striking distance for the number
one position, Kim has to better her place at RG and Justine
has to better her place at Wimbldom. And if Justince can win
RG and Kim wins Wimbledom, their chances are great at getting
the number one especially Kim who is number four. But if any of them fails to do the abovementioned, it will be really hard to
accomplish. Reaching number one postion is about consistency.

FP
of course yes why not,
or maybe not if they all will move to Australia hehe j/k:p :)
otherwise Kim and jastine have pretty realistic chances...

Couver
Well they've shown they have the talent. I mean after they broke into the top 10, they have kept their results consistent. Neither has simply disappeared. I think they could reach the #1 spot by winning a slam, since both are in the top 5. Justine has a great chance to do that at RG this year.

QUEENLINDSAY
May 22nd, 2002, 07:39 PM
FOR SURE!!!!!!!!!!!

angele87
May 22nd, 2002, 08:32 PM
I think so.... hopefully Kim will be there somebody soon :D

-Fienesse-
May 23rd, 2002, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by angele87
I think so.... hopefully Kim will be there somebody soon :D

I hope so too!!!:D :wavey:

hugetennisfan
May 23rd, 2002, 06:57 AM
I think it is definitely possible for either (or both) Justine or Kim to reach no 1, not necessarily tomorrow, next week, or even this year but at some point.

Whether either of them would be able to stay at no 1 for an extended period of time is another question.

Oizo
May 23rd, 2002, 07:35 AM
Of course they will be #1. Kim can become #1 this year. They have proven that they can beat anyone, so there is nothing else in the way, exept the ranking points. :D

arn
May 23rd, 2002, 08:34 AM
I don't think it's something for this year, maybe in 2 or 3 years, but I don't see it happening this year.

Williams Rulez
May 23rd, 2002, 10:10 AM
It will happen for sure... not in the next 2 years though... in fact Kim is quite close...

-Fienesse-
May 23rd, 2002, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Williams_Rulez
It will happen for sure... not in the next 2 years though... in fact Kim is quite close...

Kim is really really close!!:bounce:

Williams Rulez
May 23rd, 2002, 02:13 PM
lol... I meant to say... one of them should get the top spot in the next 3 years... afterall Kim is quite close... :)

Hermione
May 23rd, 2002, 02:17 PM
Definitely! I reckon Kim will be first! Biased? Me? Of course not!

Richie77
May 25th, 2002, 01:28 AM
I think both of them could. A few months ago, I would've said just Kim, but Justine has really proved herself over the past couple months.

herodoto
May 25th, 2002, 01:39 AM
actually de question should be ..."when"?;)