PDA

View Full Version : Flavia Pennetta : "Williams sisters best players on tour"

Kathy Rinaldi
May 8th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Flavia gives her comments in the WTA Q&A section this month. She must have forgotten about JHH when talking about who she thinks are the best players, though maybe as she beat her last time they played she consciously left her out :

In men's tennis, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal dominate the scene. Who do you think are the most dominant women players?
There are five players: Amélie Mauresmo, Kim Clijsters, Lindsay Davenport and the Williams sisters. They're above the others. If the Williams sisters practice well, they're unbelievable. They're so strong. I've never played them but I think they're the best if they practice.

http://www.wtatour.com/newsroom/?ContentID=414

Miranda
May 8th, 2006, 08:46 AM
how can she forget Justine :confused:

Viktymise
May 8th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Well she is right about The William sisters

Kunal
May 8th, 2006, 10:17 AM
true dat

CooCooCachoo
May 8th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Flavia just gained some fans.

And possibly lost some others :tape:

K-Dog
May 8th, 2006, 11:39 AM
she can forget justine because other than clay, Justine isn't a player to really be too afraid of and you don't often see her as the top contender at a big tournament other than ones on clay. sure, she can have good results on slower hard courts, but she it comes down to it, those players that she mentioned are very dangerous on any surface (even Lindsay is a bit on clay even though she hates the surface). Justine hasn't played well at the USO since she won and she lost in the first round of Wimbeldon last year. Justine is great on clay and a slower hard court, but I would favor other players on faster surfaces. That's no knock to Justine, but I never put her as a favorite at a tournament unless it is on clay or a slower hard court like in Dubai/Indian Wells or Rebound Ace. She can be overpowered on fast courts more easily than the others.

btw, I don't think that Flavia meant to leave Justine out, but if she meant it, I'm defending that.

Andy.
May 8th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Very true about the Williams sisters, if they are healthy and match fit they are still the best out there

SloKid
May 8th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Flavia: "My boyfriend is the last chance to stop Nadal on clay."

No, wait Moya actually did say that :tape:

azmad_88
May 8th, 2006, 11:47 AM
moya is the last man to beat nadal at miami..but thats on hard..now he thinks he has the game to beat nadal..lol...

jochem
May 8th, 2006, 01:56 PM
she can forget justine because other than clay, Justine isn't a player to really be too afraid of and you don't often see her as the top contender at a big tournament other than ones on clay. sure, she can have good results on slower hard courts, but she it comes down to it, those players that she mentioned are very dangerous on any surface (even Lindsay is a bit on clay even though she hates the surface). Justine hasn't played well at the USO since she won and she lost in the first round of Wimbeldon last year. Justine is great on clay and a slower hard court, but I would favor other players on faster surfaces. That's no knock to Justine, but I never put her as a favorite at a tournament unless it is on clay or a slower hard court like in Dubai/Indian Wells or Rebound Ace. She can be overpowered on fast courts more easily than the others.

btw, I don't think that Flavia meant to leave Justine out, but if she meant it, I'm defending that.

I'm sorry but I think it's a bit weird to mention Momo as dominating player and leave Justine out... Mauresmo has never been dominating or what so ever, Justine did for a while (although V&S were not at their peak at the time) and she proved she can be more dominating than Momo. Well, I guess Flavia mentioned Momo after her 61 61 trashing in Fed Cup :o

Stamp Paid
May 8th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Flavia gives her comments in the WTA Q&A section this month. She must have forgotten about JHH when talking about who she thinks are the best players, though maybe as she beat her last time they played she consciously left her out :

In men's tennis, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal dominate the scene. Who do you think are the most dominant women players?
There are five players: Amélie Mauresmo, Kim Clijsters, Lindsay Davenport and the Williams sisters. They're above the others. If the Williams sisters practice well, they're unbelievable. They're so strong. I've never played them but I think they're the best if they practice.

http://www.wtatour.com/newsroom/?ContentID=414

I believe her, and LMAO @ 'if they practice'.

KBdoubleu
May 8th, 2006, 01:59 PM
I think that there are an elite group of 7 players who when playing well are far and away better than any other player (Sharapova, Henin-Hardenne, Davenport, Clijsters, Serena, Venus, and Mauresmo). I agree with Flavia in that when at their best, Venus and Serena are pretty much untouchable (even by the other "elite 7")

new-york
May 8th, 2006, 02:06 PM
if only Venus, Kim, Serena, Lindsay, Momo, JHH & Sharapova were palying all healthy at the same time. :sad:

hablo
May 8th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Flavia :hearts:
how come you're not complaining that she forgot Sharapova ? :tape:

MH0861
May 8th, 2006, 02:32 PM
I wouldn't read too much into her leaving out Justine! She probably just forgot.

Reuchlin
May 8th, 2006, 02:35 PM

Bullshit.

Diesel
May 8th, 2006, 02:39 PM
She's only repeating what everyone is saying from the commentators, fans down to the legends of Chrissie and Martina :lol: Cute.

Solitaire
May 8th, 2006, 02:46 PM
I don't see anything wrong with what she said. Perhaps some players are more forgettable than others. :p

canoe.
May 8th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Flava who?

griffin
May 8th, 2006, 02:50 PM
she can forget justine because other than clay, Justine isn't a player to really be too afraid of and you don't often see her as the top contender at a big tournament other than ones on clay... Justine hasn't played well at the USO since she won and she lost in the first round of Wimbeldon last year. Justine is great on clay and a slower hard court, but I would favor other players on faster surfaces.

How do you say she's not a "player to be afraid of" outside of clay, when you acknowledge in the next breath that she's WON the US Open?

She's also won in Oz, made the final this year despite being injured, and has two Semis and a Final at Wimbledon - pretty sure that's on played on clay either, please correct me if I'm wrong.

GracefulVenus
May 8th, 2006, 02:52 PM
I wouldn't read too much into her leaving out Justine! She probably just forgot.
Exactly. We all know who the best women players are. And we also know that Justine and Sharapova are among them!

RAA
May 8th, 2006, 03:09 PM
<sigh>

"if they practice..."

so true so true...

griffin
May 8th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Well, I guess Flavia mentioned Momo after her 61 61 trashing in Fed Cup :o

Hey, you smack me down 6/1 6/1, I'd probably remember you too ;)

Uranus
May 8th, 2006, 03:18 PM
She totally forgot about Justine...

vogus
May 8th, 2006, 03:22 PM

Justine is an aggressive power player and she has an excellent fast court game. Her clay supremacy is in questionable condition right now after the way Patty dismantled her at Charlie. Henin is definitely more dangerous on fast courts than Davey or the Williams are on clay.

FrenchY52
May 8th, 2006, 03:28 PM
How can she forget Justine !
She's the only one player she has beaten ( Filderstadt last year) so maybe she thinks she's better

Slumpsova
May 8th, 2006, 05:04 PM
what's wrong if she forgot someone? do you really expect she got to mention all players ranked abover her? :rolleyes:

winone23
May 8th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Flavia speaks truth, the Williams sisters are still two of the most repsected players in the game.

V-MAC
May 8th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Flava who?

:o no her name is Flavia, you forgot the "i". No wonder you couldn't remember who she is :) :p :wavey:

Stamp Paid
May 8th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Justine is an aggressive power player and she has an excellent fast court game. Her clay supremacy is in questionable condition right now after the way Patty dismantled her at Charlie. Henin is definitely more dangerous on fast courts than Davey or the Williams are on clay.

Davy, but not the Williams Sisters.

vwfan
May 8th, 2006, 06:42 PM
It's true. There are essentially three strategies in playing against Venus and Serena:
1. Pray for the errors.
2. Attack fh, hope it breaksdown, and pray for the errors.
3. Hit down the middle, and. . . pray for the errors. :angel:
Ok, maybe there is only one strategy. The same Hingis used and lost: pray for the errors! Sometimes you get them; and until they're match tough and healthy, you might get them a lot.

rhz
May 8th, 2006, 06:43 PM
She doesn't think Justine is a force???

Paneru
May 8th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Flavia just gained some fans.

And possibly lost some others :tape:

:yeah: :cool:

borisy
May 8th, 2006, 06:48 PM
It's true. There are essentially three strategies in playing against Venus and Serena:
1. Pray for the errors.
Ok, maybe there is only one strategy. The same Hingis used and lost: pray for the errors! Sometimes you get them; and until they're match tough and healthy, you might get them a lot.

:retard:

davidmario
May 8th, 2006, 07:01 PM
so true...

GrandSlam05
May 8th, 2006, 07:28 PM
1. Pray for the errors.
You don't have to pray, anymore. :lol:

GrandSlam05
May 8th, 2006, 07:32 PM
It is ridiculous not to mention Justine. She practically owns the others besides the WS and if she were to play Venus today she would send her home sucking her thumb.

SJW
May 8th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Hey she forgot Sharapova too.
I guess the world is about to end.

Carmen Mairena
May 8th, 2006, 07:41 PM
A well f***** woman can say things like that. The Williamses are awesome players, no doubt about it, but Justine and Kim are still playing! :retard:

Carmen Mairena
May 8th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Hey she forgot Sharawho???

:haha:

Kart
May 8th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Panetta is allowed to give an opinion.

Summer Snow
May 8th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Umm.. whatever :retard: So what if she said that! All this proves is that she's very intelligent! :rolleyes: I guess she didn't say Justine because she has beaten henin before :o :help:

alfonsojose
May 8th, 2006, 08:27 PM
who cares :shrug: ?

Summer Snow
May 8th, 2006, 08:28 PM
:retard:
:rolleyes: :retard:

K-Dog
May 8th, 2006, 11:12 PM
How do you say she's not a "player to be afraid of" outside of clay, when you acknowledge in the next breath that she's WON the US Open?

She's also won in Oz, made the final this year despite being injured, and has two Semis and a Final at Wimbledon - pretty sure that's on played on clay either, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Oz is on slow hard court. As I stated Justine is good on clay and slow hard court. That win in New York is an anomoly right now because she hasn't made it past the 4th round at that event any other year. READ THE WHOLE POST FOLKS!!! I said that Justine hasn't played well at the USO since she won it and she plays well on slow hard court.

Yeah, Justine will never win Wimbledon with Venus or Serena healthy, Lindsay in the draw, Amelie in the draw, Maria in the draw, or even Kim in the draw. Justine lost in the 1st round at Wimbledon last year. Not too convincing for me.

K-Dog
May 8th, 2006, 11:28 PM

Okay, Serena has won a French Open, been in the semis or qtrs when she's played from 2001 on, and has won Rome, and been in the finals of Berlin and Charelston. Venus has been in the finals of the French, won Rome, won Istanbul, won Hamburg, won Amelia Island, won Charelston, and been in the finals of Berlin. Yeah, Lindsay doesn't quite have the same record as the sisters do on the dirt as you can see. Sure, neither sister are dominating forces on clay, but they are still dangerous on it. Justine's record on fast surfaces against top players isn't good and she hasn't won too many titles on fast courts either.

SAEKeithSerena
May 8th, 2006, 11:36 PM
Amen Flavia. at least someone can get it right.

wetfre
May 8th, 2006, 11:36 PM
I dont like Justine but I really do think shes dominant at times..

espically in 03, both the williams sister and the belgians always make the semis and playing one another..

anlavalle
May 9th, 2006, 12:00 AM
It is ridiculous not to mention Justine. She practically owns the others besides the WS and if she were to play Venus today she would send her home sucking her thumb.

sorry but she didn`t own Amelie and don`t be such a :bigcry: she probably forgot about Justine

Eldoth Kron
May 9th, 2006, 12:14 AM
Its ridiculous not to mention Nicole Pratt.

grape_slushees
May 9th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Flavia is a wise woman...gotta love her :bounce:

Joana
May 9th, 2006, 12:54 AM
Panetta is allowed to give an opinion.

Yes, and I'm allowed to say that her opinion is crap. Davenport being above Justine and Maria at the moment?

iPatty
May 9th, 2006, 12:58 AM
Probably because she doesn't think she is the best on tour. Duh. Not to mention, she smacked Justine in Filderstadt last year. :hearts:

SAEKeithSerena
May 9th, 2006, 12:59 AM
and glad flavia appreciates these women:)

Joana
May 9th, 2006, 01:02 AM
Justine's record on fast surfaces against top players isn't good and she hasn't won too many titles on fast courts either.

When is this ridiculous myth going to die?
Dubai '03, San Diego '03, Toronto '03, US Open '03 , Zurich '03, Dubai '04, Indian Wells '04, Olympics '04 , Dubai '06

That's 9 titles, not counting those on Rebound Ace and the Rosmalen tournament she won in 2001. She has beaten ALL top players on fast courts, on more occasions than one, except for the Williams sisters. Has reached the finals of Wimledon and two SFs.

Brooklyn90
May 9th, 2006, 01:05 AM
true, there above the rest!

Mother_Marjorie
May 9th, 2006, 01:20 AM
Yeah, Justine will never win Wimbledon with Venus or Serena healthy, Lindsay in the draw, Amelie in the draw, Maria in the draw, or even Kim in the draw. Justine lost in the 1st round at Wimbledon last year. Not too convincing for me.

Using your logic, Venus will never win the Australian Open since she lost in the first round.

Stamp Paid
May 9th, 2006, 01:23 AM
When is this ridiculous myth going to die?
Dubai '03, San Diego '03, Toronto '03, US Open '03 , Zurich '03, Dubai '04, Indian Wells '04, Olympics '04 , Dubai '06

That's 9 titles, not counting those on Rebound Ace and the Rosmalen tournament she won in 2001. She has beaten ALL top players on fast courts, on more occasions than one, except for the Williams sisters. Has reached the finals of Wimledon and two SFs.

LMAO. Funny timeline to be so dominant on fast surfaces. :)

Stamp Paid
May 9th, 2006, 01:24 AM
Using your logic, Venus will never win the Australian Open since she lost in the first round.

She won't.
Well her chance of winning is equal to Justine's chance of winning Wimbledon.

Joana
May 9th, 2006, 01:28 AM
LMAO. Funny timeline to be so dominant on fast surfaces. :)

She only did what Kim, Lindsay, Jennifer etc. couldn't. :)

Diesel
May 9th, 2006, 02:00 AM
Its ridiculous not to mention Nicole Pratt.

Absolutely

Junex
May 9th, 2006, 02:08 AM
How can she forget Justine !
She's the only one player she has beaten ( Filderstadt last year) so maybe she thinks she's better

Yeah I think so...

When she mentioned this i look up to her h2h against the players she mentioned and Justine, and look:

0-1 for Kim
0-1 for Lindsay
0-1 for Momo
1-1 tied with Justine
not played (unsure) the WS yet...

So i guess she is saying that since she had beaten Justine before she is not one of the best....

respectable opinion Flavia.... :rolleyes:

K-Dog
May 9th, 2006, 02:22 AM

I agree. Venus is not a good rebound ace player. Never has been and never will be. The surface doesn't suit her game at all. Even the years Venus made the semis and the finals, she played average tenns to do so. Rebound ace is too slow for Venus and grass is too fast for Justine.

vwfan
May 9th, 2006, 02:26 AM
It is ridiculous not to mention Justine. She practically owns the others besides the WS and if she were to play Venus today she would send her home sucking her thumb.Venus won't lose to Henin the same way she won't lose to Hingis. Why? She's better, but she has intimidated them both and they both are on record saying so. Seems a silly thing to admit from two Grand Slam champions. They said, I didn't. So, there fans can only hope that the work through their "intimidation issues." :lol:

vwfan
May 9th, 2006, 02:35 AM
I agree. Venus is not a good rebound ace player. Never has been and never will be. The surface doesn't suit her game at all. Even the years Venus made the semis and the finals, she played average tenns to do so. Rebound ace is too slow for Venus and grass is too fast for Justine.At the Aus Open 2003, Venus was playing better than any other player in the tournament, including Serena who dropped two sets coming into the final. She didn't drop a set and convincingly beat Justine. After the match is when Justine admitted that Venus scared her.

darrinbaker00
May 9th, 2006, 02:40 AM
Flavia obviously didn't go to WTA Tour Interview School. When a reporter asks you on the record who the best player in the world is, always say yourself, preferably in the third person. "Henin-Hardenne, Mauresmo and the Williams sisters are excellent players, but they can't hold a candle to Flavia Pennetta."

Lulu.
May 9th, 2006, 02:41 AM
The girl speaks the truth! :bowdown:

Mother_Marjorie
May 9th, 2006, 02:43 AM
After the match is when Justine admitted that Venus scared her.

I'd like to see that quote, with a link, thank you.

Mother_Marjorie
May 9th, 2006, 02:50 AM
I agree. Venus is not a good rebound ace player. Never has been and never will be. The surface doesn't suit her game at all. Even the years Venus made the semis and the finals, she played average tenns to do so. Rebound ace is too slow for Venus and grass is too fast for Justine.

Seven-time Wimby winner Steffi Graf lost at Wimbledon in the first round to Lori McNeil.

Its not that Justine isn't a great grass court player, or that Venus isn't a great rebound ace player. Both women have made it to the semi's and finals of Australian and Wimbledon.

Wimbledon is the only grand slam tourney Justine has not won. I think Venus has a better chance of winning in Australia than she does at the French. I would like to see Justine play a warm-up grass tournament before playing Wimbledon. Albeit, Justine's chances at Wimbledon are greater than Venus' at the French.

jmd
May 9th, 2006, 04:27 AM
:hearts: I love flavia

Junex
May 9th, 2006, 04:58 AM
At the Aus Open 2003, Venus was playing better than any other player in the tournament, including Serena who dropped two sets coming into the final. She didn't drop a set and convincingly beat Justine. After the match is when Justine admitted that Venus scared her.

And that was when? 3 years ago????

The year when almost all of the WTA players are scared of the WS who at that time are dominating the tour.

But after the Sprem,Karatantcheva,Pironkova defeats, i dnt think there are still those who are afraid to face Venus on the court....

Martina is another case, her issues with the WS is much deeper.

pav
May 9th, 2006, 05:18 AM
Some bugger from the royal bloody court has been slipping something into the beautiful Flaviasome's vino :fiery:

Stamp Paid
May 9th, 2006, 05:26 AM
Seven-time Wimby winner Steffi Graf lost at Wimbledon in the first round to Lori McNeil.

Its not that Justine isn't a great grass court player, or that Venus isn't a great rebound ace player. Both women have made it to the semi's and finals of Australian and Wimbledon.

Wimbledon is the only grand slam tourney Justine has not won. I think Venus has a better chance of winning in Australia than she does at the French. I would like to see Justine play a warm-up grass tournament before playing Wimbledon. Albeit, Justine's chances at Wimbledon are greater than Venus' at the French.

How many times had Steffi won Wimbledon when that happened?? LOL

And the scandal from daddy fucking strippers are what led to that anamoly in tennis history. :o Why do you think she would lose to a Pierce type 6-2, 6-2 three weeks earlier... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

[/Cali] ;)

new-york
May 9th, 2006, 07:39 AM

AO 2003 wasn't really average tennis from Venus. She was actually playin better than everybody. If not for the final...

but i agree, i feel sumthin just don't go well there.

M$forehand
May 9th, 2006, 08:37 AM
If someone has asked Justine about her Elite 7, it would SURELY not include Pennetta.:lol::lol:

Even our picks will vary, depending on our "favorites" and the players we "respect". Unless we bother to check the world rankings and consider the health issue.

Jeff
May 9th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Who cares if Flavia doesn't mention Justine. Afterall, the question was for her, and she has a right to her opinion. But clearly questions such as these are pretty rhetorical, since most people only ask them with the expectancy of hearing the answer they already believe.

Filip!
May 9th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Oz is on slow hard court. As I stated Justine is good on clay and slow hard court. That win in New York is an anomoly right now because she hasn't made it past the 4th round at that event any other year. READ THE WHOLE POST FOLKS!!! I said that Justine hasn't played well at the USO since she won it and she plays well on slow hard court.

Venus losing in her second match of a Tier II-event is also not really convincing. Not to mention all the other losses before the one last week. :tape:

K-Dog
May 9th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Venus losing in her second match of a Tier II-event is also not really convincing. Not to mention all the other losses before the one last week. :tape:

Um, if you are going to insult somebody, get the facts straight. that was Venus' third match of the week and she lost to the eventual finalist after battling leg cramps in the round previous. Losses? Didn't Venus make it farther at the USO and Wimbledon than Justine? And Venus lost the the eventual champ despite being up a set a break twice, whereas Justine got owned by the eventual finalist. At least venus doesn't pull out of matches when she is losing and claim stomach cramps. Again, shut up!!

K-Dog
May 9th, 2006, 11:36 AM
At the Aus Open 2003, Venus was playing better than any other player in the tournament, including Serena who dropped two sets coming into the final. She didn't drop a set and convincingly beat Justine. After the match is when Justine admitted that Venus scared her.

Go check her stats in that tournament. They were far from stellar.

K-Dog
May 9th, 2006, 11:37 AM
AO 2003 wasn't really average tennis from Venus. She was actually playin better than everybody. If not for the final...

but i agree, i feel sumthin just don't go well there.

I've seen Venus play much better tennis than she did to get the the finals of Oz. It was sloppy and her second serve was terrible. The only good match she played was in the semi imo.

vwfan
May 9th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Dubai '03, San Diego '03, Toronto '03, US Open '03 , Zurich '03, Wow. Good point. No Williams in sight at any of those tournaments, including at the U.S. Open 2003 where she won over Kim the choker.

vwfan
May 9th, 2006, 12:04 PM
I'd like to see that quote, with a link, thank you.I believe it was after her beatdown by Venus at the Aus Open 2003, but it may have been earlier. We discussed it a lot on another board (venusserenafans.com). You don't have to take my word for it, that's fine. Doesn't change the fact that she said it. She said that she can never tell what Venus is thinking on the other side of the net. She found this and Venus' athletic presence intimidating.

vwfan
May 9th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Albeit, Justine's chances at Wimbledon are greater than Venus' at the French.
I don't think so. They've both been to the final of the event on their worse subject. While Venus dominates on grass, Serena, Lindsay, Sharapova, and probably Mauremso could all take Henin out on before she even tastes another chance. Now if all of them happen to be on the same side of the draw and take each other out, then Justine has a shot. If Venus can enter RG healthy for once, she has a good shot. I don't think she has ever played RG not recovering from an injury of some sort, even the year that she made it to the final. But she has the second best win/loss percentage on clay of all the top players behind Justine. And Justine's record on grass?

vwfan
May 9th, 2006, 12:13 PM
And that was when? 3 years ago????

The year when almost all of the WTA players are scared of the WS who at that time are dominating the tour.

But after the Sprem,Karatantcheva,Pironkova defeats, i dnt think there are still those who are afraid to face Venus on the court....

Martina is another case, her issues with the WS is much deeper.what argument are you making?! I was responding to a poster who said that Venus did not play well on rebound ace, even in 2003 when she made it to the final. Follow the thread!
I never said that current players aren't afraid to face Venus. I could make that case, but I won't bother. Venus can make it for me.

vwfan
May 9th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Go check her stats in that tournament. They were far from stellar.I believe you, but her form was good enough to dominate the entire field. I recall the stats from the final and she and Serena were exactly matched. Serena exceeded Venus is one area only: # of winners.
Venus likes to rally and Serena is is more decisive. Venus eventually realized (Miami 2005) that the only way to beat Serena is remain aggressive and go for her shots with equal or greater vengeance. Serena wanted so much to beat Venus and brought all that desire to the court. Venus wanted to win, but not as badly as Serena and that was one of the critical dimensions to her mental preparedness in playing Serena.
Venus is hardly playing her best tennis consistently now. We have the two weeks of Wimbledon as the exception and glimpses of it in other matches, but I don't think we need to go back and rewrite the time when she was playing consistently good tennis. And even if it wasn't good tennis then, it was the best in the world because between 2000 and 2003, she was the most consistent player on tour and that includes the run of Serena from '02-'03. Since Wimbledon 2003, we never really know what we're going to get, but that is the case of all the top players now. The only pretty consistent players have been Davenport and Sharapova. But at the slams, in 2005 Venus was the only slam winner to make it to the QF of another slam. So when the stakes are high, she is still outperforming the other contenders.

Filip!
May 9th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Um, if you are going to insult somebody, get the facts straight. that was Venus' third match of the week and she lost to the eventual finalist after battling leg cramps in the round previous. Losses? Didn't Venus make it farther at the USO and Wimbledon than Justine? And Venus lost the the eventual champ despite being up a set a break twice, whereas Justine got owned by the eventual finalist. At least venus doesn't pull out of matches when she is losing and claim stomach cramps. Again, shut up!!

Wow, indeed, you're right. The Williams-sisters are so impressive nowadays! I can't wait for them in the next tournament, nobody will beat them.

vwfan
May 9th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Wow, indeed, you're right. The Williams-sisters are so impressive nowadays! I can't wait for them in the next tournament, nobody will beat them.You're right. I agree. Venus' rank is based on having played nine tournaments and she is still ranked in the top 15. Most others above her have played double the events. In those events, she won two (including a slam--the most prestigious slam of all), was a finalist in two, one SF and QF at three others. That is not the domination of the earlier years or of Williams standards, but not a bad year by any other standard.

Joana
May 9th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Wow. Good point. No Williams in sight at any of those tournaments, including at the U.S. Open 2003 where she won over Kim the choker.

So what? Did I suggest she was better on hardcourts than the Williams sisters?

vwfan
May 9th, 2006, 01:23 PM
So what? Did I suggest she was better on hardcourts than the Williams sisters?No you didn't. Because that of course would be ridiculous!

Apoorv
May 9th, 2006, 02:27 PM
justine definitely deserves a mention especially since kim is in it and i consider her to be superior than kim and mauresmo.

MisterMan
May 9th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Since when has Justine and Maria "dominated" ?? It's been years.
Flavia's right on (with the exception of Serena. wtf ?)

G_Slammed
May 9th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Looks like some of us took this statement by Pennetta rather hard, huh?

griffin
May 9th, 2006, 06:10 PM
I think most people are more interested in arguing with each other than in Flavia's quote ;)

borisy
May 9th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Is this the tennis authority and tier 4 queen Pennetta who can't win a match in Tier 1s or Grand Slams?

Denise4925
May 9th, 2006, 06:47 PM
That's if she doesn't get a stomach ache. :tape:

Paneru
May 9th, 2006, 06:54 PM
That's if she doesn't get a stomach ache. :tape:

:tape:

Paneru
May 9th, 2006, 06:56 PM

Dream on!

Venus owns Justine for
a reason! :cool:

besides, flavia is right,
they are the best!

harloo
May 9th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Allez Flavia!!:bounce: :worship: :lol: :devil:

Denise4925
May 9th, 2006, 07:13 PM
I don't think so. They've both been to the final of the event on their worse subject. While Venus dominates on grass, Serena, Lindsay, Sharapova, and probably Mauremso could all take Henin out on before she even tastes another chance. Now if all of them happen to be on the same side of the draw and take each other out, then Justine has a shot. If Venus can enter RG healthy for once, she has a good shot. I don't think she has ever played RG not recovering from an injury of some sort, even the year that she made it to the final. But she has the second best win/loss percentage on clay of all the top players behind Justine. And Justine's record on grass?
:worship: :worship: :worship:

Denise4925
May 9th, 2006, 07:16 PM
No you didn't. Because that of course would be ridiculous!
:o :tape: :lol:

GrandSlam05
May 9th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Dream on!

Venus owns Justine for
a reason! :cool:

besides, flavia is right,
they are the best!
:lol: They haven't played a match in over 3 years. That was b4 Justine reached her peak not only physically but mentally.

Denise4925
May 9th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Is this the tennis authority and tier 4 queen Pennetta who can't win a match in Tier 1s or Grand Slams?
Is this the troll authority and WS hater extraordinaire who can't stand to see anything positive or nice about the WS without making a hateful comment?

Denise4925
May 9th, 2006, 07:21 PM
:lol: They haven't played a match in over 3 years. That was b4 Justine reached her peak not only physically but mentally.
AO '03?? Venus owned her there. Wasn't that the year she started winning slams?

GrandSlam05
May 9th, 2006, 07:26 PM
AO '03?? Venus owned her there. Wasn't that the year she started winning slams?
Yeah and it's May 2006 now. :lol:

Denise4925
May 9th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Yeah and it's May 2006 now. :lol:
Yeah, but you said it was before she reached her peak mentally and physically and that simply isn't true. :shrug:

GrandSlam05
May 9th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Yeah, but you said it was before she reached her peak mentally and physically and that simply isn't true. :shrug:
She was a far better and more confident player in the latter part of '03 and now than she was then. I think esp. after beating Ree at the French she gained so much.

Denise4925
May 9th, 2006, 07:38 PM
She was a far better and more confident player in the latter part of '03 and now than she was then. I think esp. after beating Ree at the French she gained so much.
Yeah, cheating sometimes builds confidence. :tape:

GrandSlam05
May 9th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Is there any point to your existence?

Joana
May 9th, 2006, 07:59 PM

Posting smilies on WTAWorld.

Denise4925
May 9th, 2006, 08:00 PM
As much point as yours. :retard:

Denise4925
May 9th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Posting smilies on WTAWorld.
Joana, don't take it out on me because vw pwned you. :lol:

Kart
May 9th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Yes, and I'm allowed to say that her opinion is crap. Davenport being above Justine and Maria at the moment?

I don't know why you feel the need to be so dismissive of her opinion just because you don't like it.

It's not like she picked a bunch of girls ranked outside of the top 100 or something.

Jennifer North
May 9th, 2006, 08:27 PM
I don't know why some posters are so protective of their favs when it comes to criticism :rolleyes: ... your rants and opinions will not change the outcome of matches nor one's career, so instead of nitpicking someone's interview, let your fav prove your point on the court by winning titles

vogus
May 9th, 2006, 08:40 PM

some people will never get over the past. :angel:

Williams had it coming, and Justine gave it to her. Let's move on.

darrinbaker00
May 9th, 2006, 09:07 PM
I don't know why some posters are so protective of their favs when it comes to criticism :rolleyes: ... your rants and opinions will not change the outcome of matches nor one's career, so instead of nitpicking someone's interview, let your fav prove your point on the court by winning titles
No.

darrinbaker00
May 9th, 2006, 09:10 PM

What do you mean, she had it coming?

Jennifer North
May 9th, 2006, 09:29 PM
What do you mean, she had it coming?

actually Justine did not give it to her... if she (Justine) were familiar with the American legal system, she would probably have sued Serena for defamation, slander or libel after the (in)famous cries of "lying and fabricating" :lol: ...

Zippy
May 9th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Since when has Justine and Maria "dominated" ?? It's been years.
Flavia's right on (with the exception of Serena. wtf ?)
Since you question Serena, why not question Venus? I mean when was the last time Venus dominated, huh? Oh, and don't say Wimbledon, because obviously winning a tourney isn't "dominating". If that was the case, you would be saying that Justine dominated as recent at last year by winning 4 tourneys consecutively.

Zippy
May 9th, 2006, 10:01 PM
For those who are hating (like K-Dog) on Justine's fast court game, let me remind you that before she EVER won any GS, Wimbledon was her best one. That's as far as results and consistency. Remember, she made 2 Semis and a Final in 3 consecutive years there. And note this; The only players at the time that could stand in her way on the surface was Vee & Rena. See those were the two who repeatedly (all three losses) beat her. Justine IS a strong Hard Court player. Heck, a strong all-court player for that matter. "Argueably" the strongest all court game on the tour.

Summer Snow
May 9th, 2006, 10:31 PM
I don't see why the hell most of you are so angry that Flavia didn't mention Justine's name. She could have simply forgotten :rolleyes: Justine's constant cheating sometimes over shadows her accomplishments, so before you start attack Flavia Penetta, you need to contact JHH, and tell her that her cheating needs to end- NOW! ;)

Justine Fan
May 9th, 2006, 11:36 PM

:haha: :haha: You are so correct Griffin :yeah:

Just shows that the poster you are posting about does not know what they are saying or does not know anything about tennis :haha: :haha:

OMG ... you caught them right out!

GAME, SET AND MATCH TO GRIFFIN!!!!! :woohoo:

Justine Fan
May 9th, 2006, 11:50 PM
Wow, indeed, you're right. The Williams-sisters are so impressive nowadays! I can't wait for them in the next tournament, nobody will beat them.

:haha: :haha:

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

Justine Fan
May 9th, 2006, 11:54 PM

Yup Borisy it certainly is and that's why her opinion means diddly squat! :haha:

Even if she did mention Justine, it wouldn't have made any difference. Now if it was Stefi Graff or Navratilova that left out Justine, then that would be something for Justine fans to get upset about. But Pennetta ...... please :lol: :lol:

Shows that her and Moya talk absolute crap .... Nadal beat him AGAIN? ROFLMAO!!!!! BWAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAA

Justine Fan
May 9th, 2006, 11:56 PM

But don't you know that Williams' fans live in the past ... look they are still talking about 2001/2002/2003! Well I suppose they have to have something to remember :haha: :haha:

Justine Fan
May 10th, 2006, 12:00 AM

:yeah:

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

darrinbaker00
May 10th, 2006, 12:00 AM
But don't you know that Williams' fans live in the past ... look they are still talking about 2001/2002/2003! Well I suppose they have to have something to remember :haha: :haha:
Well, Venus' latest Grand Slam trophy is a month newer than Justine's, so :ras: !

Justine Fan
May 10th, 2006, 12:02 AM
actually Justine did not give it to her... if she (Justine) were familiar with the American legal system, she would probably have sued Serena for defamation, slander or libel after the (in)famous cries of "lying and fabricating" :lol: ...

:yeah:

OMG :eek: I don't believe this. This is the best thing you've ever said and I totally agree with you! *pick me up because I've just fainted*

Justine Fan
May 10th, 2006, 12:08 AM
Well, Venus' latest Grand Slam trophy is a month newer than Justine's, so :ras: !

What about before that Grand Slam Wimbledon trophy and what about afterwards? Oh sorry, before it was a Tier III in Istanbul :haha: :haha:

I'm talking about the domination so :nerner:

:ras: :nerner:

Stamp Paid
May 10th, 2006, 12:21 AM
Damn Justine Fan. Trolling hard, eh? :tape: Look @ this page. :tape:

Justine Fan
May 10th, 2006, 12:23 AM
Damn Justine Fan. Trolling hard, eh? :tape: Look @ this page. :tape:

Nah King I'm not trolling, I've just started reading this thread and I'm answering, just like everyone else does when they haven't read a thread before.

What's wrong with that? :ras:

Stamp Paid
May 10th, 2006, 12:27 AM
Nah King I'm not trolling, I've just started reading this thread and I'm answering, just like everyone else does when they haven't read a thread before.

What's wrong with that? :ras:

LOL nothing.

But since all those posts you quoted were in the same vein, I would have just quoted and replied the best one :tape:

vwfan
May 10th, 2006, 01:40 AM
:lol: They haven't played a match in over 3 years. That was b4 Justine reached her peak not only physically but mentally.The mental and physical peak that made her retire in a grand slam final just in January?! Or the mental and physical peak that made her lose in the first round of RG her preferred surface in 2004? or her two fourth round exists at the U.S. Open in 2004 and 2005 after winning it in 2003? And the same Justine who will undoubtedly shake on the other side of the court when Venus is standing there completely undisturbed by her on-court antics?! That Justine. Ok!

vwfan
May 10th, 2006, 01:51 AM
For those who are hating (like K-Dog) on Justine's fast court game, let me remind you that before she EVER won any GS, Wimbledon was her best one. That's as far as results and consistency. Remember, she made 2 Semis and a Final in 3 consecutive years there. And note this; The only players at the time that could stand in her way on the surface was Vee & Rena. See those were the two who repeatedly (all three losses) beat her. Justine IS a strong Hard Court player. Heck, a strong all-court player for that matter. "Argueably" the strongest all court game on the tour.Hmm. you believe that. Here is a dose of reality.

Serena leads career W/L percentage on hardcourts, followed closely by Venus and Hingis, Clijsters, and Davenport all who win 80% of their matches on hardcourts. Justine is ranked 16 in career W/L with less than 80%, but better than Maria (who is currently ranked behind Nicole and Na). She has never beaten Serena or Venus on hardcourts or grass and highly doubtful that she would.

Clay, it's a toss up!

vwfan
May 10th, 2006, 01:54 AM
But don't you know that Williams' fans live in the past ... look they are still talking about 2001/2002/2003! Well I suppose they have to have something to remember :haha: :haha:how about 2005 when they both won slams. recent enough for you?

switz
May 10th, 2006, 02:02 AM
i'm justine cares a lot less about this than her fans do.

Flavia probably didn't mean to leave Justine out but she also left Sharapova out so who knows.

As has been said she beat Justine in their last match and she probabaly doesn't rate herself much of a chance against the players mentioned.

And she's right - the Williams sisters in form are at a level that no other player can get to - but that doesn't mean much anymore because it's not that likely they'll get back to that standard again (even if i think they can get back on top)