PDA

View Full Version : Should Venus play and defend Istanbul

vwfan
May 8th, 2006, 12:05 AM
Venus won Istanbul last year and used the tournament to get some match play going into the French. She got some good hitting in with some quality opponents who couldn't really threaten her too much as she rebuild her game. Should Venus add Istanbul, defend her points, get match play and improve her seeding?
She would probably be tired, but the only way to build up stamina and match toughness would be to build up stamina and match toughness. I remember when I was learning to run and build endurance but wasn't very fast. I joined a running club and asked the instructor, how do I run faster. His answer was just run faster. Your legs will adjust and eventually you'll be able to run fast and long. Don't know if it is quite the same and I don't want her to get injured before Wimbledon, but I really would like her to do well at the French Open after last year's disappointing run.

junlee_vee
May 8th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Yes, I think she should defend her points.

PatrickRyan
May 8th, 2006, 12:11 AM
i think she should, if she's healthy, she really needs as much match play as possible

safinforlife
May 8th, 2006, 12:23 AM
If she loses early in Rome (which I hope doesnt happen) than ya she should play Istanbul but if she has a good week in Rome she should rest the week before the French Open and not play istanbul.

safinforlife
May 8th, 2006, 12:24 AM
I would hate for her to lose early and blame it on fatigue!!

ZAK
May 8th, 2006, 12:59 AM
I think Warsaw, Rome, French Open has pretty good spacing too it. I doubt she'll play Istanbul

winone23
May 8th, 2006, 01:22 AM
I don't think she should play Istanbul, she needs to rest her body before the french open.

LucasArg
May 8th, 2006, 02:27 AM
I was expecting her to appear this year, but I found out then Istambul was not on Venus' schedule.

Maybe she is not playing because Istanbul this year is the week before Roland Garros and last season there was a week between them.

CJ07
May 8th, 2006, 03:17 AM
If Venus makes it past the QF at Rome, she shouldn't. Otherwise, she should.

Lulu.
May 8th, 2006, 03:31 AM
If Venus makes it past the QF at Rome, she shouldn't. Otherwise, she should.

Yep

darrinbaker00
May 8th, 2006, 04:06 AM
It's not like Venus can just show up in Istanbul three or four days before the tournament starts and ask for a wild card, boys and girls. I'm sure the deadline for signing up has already passed.

CJ07
May 8th, 2006, 04:51 AM
It's not like Venus can just show up in Istanbul three or four days before the tournament starts and ask for a wild card, boys and girls. I'm sure the deadline for signing up has already passed.
She is Venus Ebony Starr Williams. She's done it before, she can do it again.

Happens all the time.

santhuruu
May 8th, 2006, 05:44 AM
No I don't think she should do that, if she hadn't played Istanbul last year she might have won Roland Garros I think somehow, because she was very tired in Paris last year!

VeeReeDavJCap81
May 8th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Hopefully she'll do well enough in Rome to get enough matches for the French :bounce:

TomTennis
May 8th, 2006, 07:32 AM
I dont think she should and I dont think she will either. Rome is enough i feel. I think she will et some great match practice before FO at Rome with the right draw.

akosijepoy
May 8th, 2006, 08:22 AM
I agree with one of the posts above. If she loses before the QF then she should play instanbul just to get more match play. But if not then she should just rest. :)

Viktymise
May 8th, 2006, 09:14 AM
No because it really hurt her chances at RG last year, she was too tired and it was resposible for her bad loss again Karatancheva last year, she should rest up and i dont think she will win RG but just get enough matches in for Wimbledoncause thats where the real chance will come, i dont want her to risk injury

Il Primo!
May 8th, 2006, 10:05 AM
No,no and no!She shouldn't play istanbul!!It implies that she would play 4 weeks in a row! :o Too much and dangerous

Paneru
May 8th, 2006, 11:21 AM
No.

Their is no need for her
to overdo anything.

Coming back from the injury I think her timing
and schedule is perfect for her to be right on
course for the French and beyond.