PDA

View Full Version : Clijsters Chances for the French

Just_lindsay
May 7th, 2006, 09:50 PM
I know she's reached the final twice, but what conditions came together to produce those great runs, and can she recapture the magic this year (and perhaps go one further?)

dav abu
May 7th, 2006, 09:56 PM
I really think that Kim can do it,it is not right that this girl has only one slam-I reckon she will make it no2 at the French!

Reuchlin
May 7th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Ya, she certainly is one of the Favs-- along with Justine. I think Venus is a darkhorse that will make it to the SF, but no further. Amelie will not be able to hand the pressure and Sveta cannot sustain good tennis for two weeks.

MrSerenaWilliams
May 7th, 2006, 10:18 PM
Kim has a great game, no denying that. I just feel that there are other players who are ahead of her in terms of results at a slam. I mean in terms of consistency, there are few players who have done better than Kim. I think in this conversation, you have to consider Justine, Amelie, Nadia, and Venus (yeah I know, VENUS), as other favorites for the title as well. Here's why:

When Justine is healthy, there really are 3 players who can, at a decent level, challenge Justine on clay: Jennifer (who's indefinate), Amelie (I just think her game matches up well), and Serena. She's won RG more times than any other active player, and it looks like she is timing her events well enough to peak for those all important 2 weeks at the end of May.
Mauresmo is probably the best clay courter not to have won the French. She has won at least one clay tournament a year for the past 3 years. Kim hasn't won a clay tournament (before Warsaw) in nearly 3 years. But we'll see how far the breakthrough win in Australia goes to silence her slam demons and get her through seven matches at home.
Nadia is on a great run this year on clay, and I think that once she got over the hump of not winning a title, she will definately be a contender. I mean, even while she was battling her demons, she got to 2 RG semis in the past 3 years (more than anyone not named Justine). It will be interesting to see how she handles the pressure of having the biggest clay streak this year at Berlin where a decent field (bottom half excluded) is waiting to end her streak. She should get to the finals easlily, but what she does once she gets there should definately solidfy her chances as a contender.
When it comes down to slam time, you really can't count out Venus. Yeah I know she lost in the 1st round of the Oz, but if you look at her record at slams, whenever she loses in the first round of a slam, she comes back to the next one on a mission. (1st round Wimbly loss [1997] followed by F at US Open on DEBUT! 1st round French loss [2001] followed by 2 straight slam wins). She has Richard back in her corner, and she's looking to turn things around. If she stays healthy, look for her to make some noise as well.

I think this is the first time since 2003, where there are a few decent contenders for the title. Kim is a great player and VERY consistent, but a few things will determine whether she can get that second slam at the French or if she'll have to wait for another hardcourt slam (my prediction for where she'll win another one).

liuxuan
May 7th, 2006, 10:26 PM
I think Kim is THE most underrated player on clay. Her game is soooo well suited to clay, shes got all the best qualities of Sanchez Vicario, PLUS a fantastic forehand that she can fire winners off of. Shes reached the final twice, and if she plays at her very best, only Justine would have a good chance (Venus if she played her a game, but i dunno if she will at RG)

even though Amelie has had a lot of sucess on clay, I would still pick Kim anyday. If Kim is playing well, she has got amelie round her little finger, on any surface. Judging from this win against Sveta, shes got her hunger, her fitness, and her brain in full working order. For me, shes my favourite for RG.

liuxuan
May 7th, 2006, 10:29 PM
and ps. I really want Venus to win, as shes my favourite player (along with Lindsay).

However, if she doesnt, I would love to see Kim take the title. Shes won so many titles, been a fuilly deserving #1, and been a great great player.

Theres no way she belongs in the one slam wonder category with players like Novotna, Majoli, Martinez, Mauresmo etc.

Kim should get a few more slams before she retires. Gabbi is another one who is a great great player who should have won more slams.

selyoink
May 7th, 2006, 10:35 PM
I think she is one of the 5 favorites along with Henin-Hardenne, Petrova, Kuznetsova, and Mauresmo.

Scots Kim Fan
May 7th, 2006, 10:37 PM
and ps. I really want Venus to win, as shes my favourite player (along with Lindsay).

However, if she doesnt, I would love to see Kim take the title. Shes won so many titles, been a fuilly deserving #1, and been a great great player.

Theres no way she belongs in the one slam wonder category with players like Novotna, Majoli, Martinez, Mauresmo etc.

Kim should get a few more slams before she retires. Gabbi is another one who is a great great player who should have won more slams.

Yeah, i'd pretty much echo that (apart from the venus being my fave player bit ;) ). Kim really impressed me this week when i thought it would take her a while to get back into it. The difference this year will be that she has done it before and so will know that she has what it takes to win a GS - fingers crossed! :)

Brooklyn90
May 7th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Here are my choices for the french
1.Amelie
2.Kim
3.Justine
4.Petrova
5.Venus

jenny161185
Im not jumping on any bandwagon but i said a coupla weeks ago if kim can have a good couple wks on the clay shes definately one of my top picks to win at RG Id actually love to see her win it :)

Pinkie
I'm as big of a Kim fan there is, but I am not sure. I think she is playing well, which should get her far into the tournament. But she doesn't like clay, can't wait to get off it. Which I think would play a role psychologically. Plus, clay requires, especially the top matches, a lot more strategy and tactics aside from just whacking the ball really hard and really well. Kim like the opposite, just playing offensive tennis without havin gto think too much about tactics. So in that sense I don't think clay suits her game best. For this year, I think she wants to peak at Wimbledon and the USO r.

PLP
May 7th, 2006, 10:42 PM
I think this win will do load for her confidence, which needs to be there fo her to win...I think she has a great chance! I think it is more likely that she will repeat as US Open champ but still, she has a great shot>P

Reuchlin
May 7th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Athough...let's remember her match against a certain sloth-like American last year.

Come-on-kim
May 8th, 2006, 07:47 AM
Kim hasn't won a clay tournament (before Warsaw) in nearly 3 years.

Just look at how much she played on clay since 2004...
In 2004, she played 1 clay tournament and W/O after winning 1 match.

In 2005, played warsaw and lost in the semis to Sveta (who was in the form of her life), played berlin, got injured and retired, played Roland Garros and lost to Lindsay.

The rest of the time, she has generaly had good results on clay, with finals in RG, Berlin, Warsaw, Rome, Hambourg (and titles sometimes)

xin_hui
May 8th, 2006, 07:51 AM
I'm as big of a Kim fan there is, but I am not sure. I think she is playing well, which should get her far into the tournament. But she doesn't like clay, can't wait to get off it. Which I think would play a role psychologically. Plus, clay requires, especially the top matches, a lot more strategy and tactics aside from just whacking the ball really hard and really well. Kim like the opposite, just playing offensive tennis without havin gto think too much about tactics. So in that sense I don't think clay suits her game best. For this year, I think she wants to peak at Wimbledon and the USO r.

i agree. for her, it's more psychological than anything

Zauber
May 8th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Kim I think is the best all around player at the moment.
She has a good chance on all surfaces. She allways did.
I still find it very hard to believe that she has only won one grand slam tourney.
now her mind is on getting married.
Perhaps a marriage present.

azmad_88
May 8th, 2006, 08:22 AM
she definately has a chance .....and she is not playing that many tourny...rome then she will be off to paris...hope she can do it

Rub
May 8th, 2006, 08:31 AM
i know she can... hope this time, it's hers!

VeeReeDavJCap81
May 8th, 2006, 08:34 AM
If she's healthy, she definitely has a chance to win it.

fifiricci
May 8th, 2006, 08:47 AM
If Kim can stay injury free and motivated I think she has a pretty good chance, without being the favourite. I also agree entirely with Pinkie's analysis though. :)