PDA

View Full Version : Do nerves affect you when you play matches, and if yes, how?

GoDominique
May 7th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Just curious. Will add mine later. :)

MLF
May 7th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Whenever I play in tournaments or club matches I always have a few nerves at the start of the match, which is a good thing as it usually means I'll play well. Usually they only last a game or two. If I'm flat with no nerves then the performance isn't likely to be as good as it ought to be. I've never got so nervous where I've been unable to play or close out a match though.

the jamierbelyea
May 7th, 2006, 05:29 PM
I tend to play much more tentatively then I'd like too, and it usually doesn't do me too well.

I'm also plagued by playing really good service games the whole match, but then when I'm serving for the s et or serving to stay in the set I'll play a really loose game.

Yesterday I was playing in a one day, 8 game pro-set tournament and was at 6-6, had not dropped serve ye t, then dropped it there at 15, and then lost 6-8. :(

Louis Cyphre
May 7th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Sometimes I`m a litle bit like Safin :lol: It depends of my mood

-VSR-
May 7th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Yes. I remember when I was playing an 8-game pro set, I was down match points. Well once this happens I usually tense up, and don't really go for my shots. I'll just put the ball into play and play really defensively. But when my chance comes I take it. I remember I save over 6 MP's, but ending up losing in a tie-break. :mad:

¤CharlDa¤
May 7th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Hum I do get nervous, but it comes out in two different situations. Either I play a match and I'm no nervous that I rush and am impatient in the first and lose it 6-1 or 6-0, and the I manage to make the other 2 sets.

Most of the time, it is the opposite. I perform incredibly well in the first cause I come out firing, but then I get nervous at like 2-0 for me in the second, and usually lose it before winning the third.

But when I was younger, it was horrible, it actually prevented me from a good junior career in my province. i was so weak mentally and cried each time I faced a pusher :lol:

Viktymise
May 7th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Nerves usually help play really well but in tight situations they dont, dont really know why tho

Brooklyn90
May 7th, 2006, 05:45 PM
every time i play, i cant' realy explaine y, i just do

disco_rage
May 7th, 2006, 05:53 PM
I do get nervous and it normally effects my serve which is the major weekness in my game anyway... The nerves for me always come at the start of the match... If i have to serve first i always, always get broken...

They also comeback if i'm serving for a set or serving to stay in a set... My first serve goes away (the ball toss, the action, everything) and i have two choices hit the worlds slowest second serve or hit another first serve, as i don't have a second serve LOL but normally i just about get away with it...

I never get nervous tho when dominating a match or when i have a big lead.

Derek.
May 7th, 2006, 05:57 PM
I'm always nervous waiting for my match to be called, and then when we start warming up it goes away. And then it returns when I'm trying to close out a close set, or a match that's close.

When I'm nervous I take longer between points. I bounce the ball more and I start becoming superstitious sometimes. :p But when it is close sometimes I hit heavy topspin and wait for an opening instead of creating one like I usually do.

But nerves have really never prevented me from winning a set or a match. I'm usually able to overcome them and play my game. :cool:

Babolatpro880
May 7th, 2006, 06:14 PM
I don't get as nervous now as I used to. Last year, I remember when I played my first singles match, I went out to warm up and I could barely hit a ball over during the warmup because I was so nervous. I still won the match, but I played horribly because I was terribly nervous the entire team.

Now, I rarely get nervous. About a week and a half ago I was up 7-3, and I had a couple match points in that game before the kid came all the way back to 7-7 before I finally won 9-7. I don't think this was really nerves as much as I just couldn't quite close it out.

Babolatpro880
May 7th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Actually, the only problem I really have now is playing against teammates in practice or something. It might not make sense, but it's way harder for me to play against a teammate than against someone else who I don't really know.

Mightymirza
May 7th, 2006, 06:25 PM
I generally get kinda nervous when I am up 40 15 or 40 30 or Ad on my serve..Then many times I feel that I am not gonna put in a first serve..Its silly but it just comes to me this feeling and it happens as well.. :lol: but when I am BPs down, I dont feel nerves at all..Its so wierd..Aces on BPs and DFs on GPs..So typical of me...

Mightymirza
May 7th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Well also i should add I have played very few matches in my life LOL..Last match I played was Mixed doubles match and I never faced BP until 5 3 when i was serving for set ..And it turned out to be a longgg game..many Bps and SPs..Finally won 6 3..Then in 2nd set again serving to stay in match at 5 6 and was down zillions of Bps and even hit ace on 2nd serve... :lol: surprised myself there too..Finally we ended up winning 6 3 7 6(5)

LoveFifteen
May 7th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Nerves affect my serve. Especially if I am serving for the set. I have new-found respect for people who are labeled "nothing but a serve" a la Roddick or Karlovic. My serve blows, and I admire people who are good at it. It's truly an important tennis skill.

Craigy
May 7th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Yes. My nerves make me not go for my shots and play like a 7 year old...

No Name Face
May 7th, 2006, 07:07 PM
only when i play a backboard/pusher type.

crazyroberto6767
May 7th, 2006, 07:18 PM
I don't really get nervous anymore. I actually play 10X better when I'm down (and seemingly out). The only time I have nerves is waiting for my match to start, and in the opening games of the first match of a tournament. I used to get so nervous during matches especially when losing or in a tight ones. They used to affect my forehand (my weaker side) and my second serve. Sometimes my footwork would go down the tube too. I'm not really sure when I stopped being nervous, or what made me stop :scratch:.

Kunal
May 7th, 2006, 07:52 PM
if u are not used to playing matches with a certain support system and then that support system changes for instance if your parents start accompanying you with your coach then the nerves do come to play.

that was the case with me.

K-Dog
May 7th, 2006, 08:08 PM
I had issues with nerves during the week of try-outs and my practice sets prior to the season this year. I could barely play the way i wanted to, but now I have lots of matches under my belt and match play isn't the issue it once was. Right now, I am barely losing games, so I think I'm playing pretty well. I usually lose my nerves after the first two games of the match and then i play freely and confidently after that. It is all a confidence game with me. When I'm confident, it takes a lot to make me unconfident and is very hard for opponents to win consecutive points on me because I put so much importantance on each point and I play each point like a match point to take one out of the book of cliches. When my confidence level is down, I usually have issues in matches. For some reason prior to the season starting, I couldn't deal with nerves. I was SO tight and SO tense that I was playing stupidly and rushed. I mean, I still get those pre-match jitters, but those are good for me because I know that I'm focused and not going to take my opponent lightly. I'm just glad that my nerves aren't a problem anymore and I can play the tennis that I know I can play during my matches.

QuicKyMonSter
May 7th, 2006, 08:15 PM
When i'm nervous I start to sing and that's my way to calm down :)... it doesn't really affect my game :p

Danči Dementia
May 7th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Oh absolutely yes.
Every time that I go to mi class knowing the fact that I'm going to play someone it really make me crazy in the moment that I arrive to the court and when I see the person that I'm going to play its even more nerve wracking and when the match is about to star I alway want to go to pi. :) yes I do.
And well the same thing like "butterflies in you stomach" the hands star to swet and I have lost matches because of the nerves.
The last one that I remember It was in the tournament of the highschools of mi state they were 5 schools and I was shocked taht I was able to get to the final the day before I couldn't even get to sleep well 'cos I was so so nervious and the day that I was going to play when I woke up I was very afraid(I was feeling the same thing that I feel every single time that I'm about to do a test of any subject) and then it was worst 'cos my friends were there my boyfriend and the most shoking thing was to see my dad there he never has been before to any of my matches NEVER and that day he was there and then the girl that I was going to play arrived and :eek: :eek: she was so big that it was scary(I'm a tall girl 6 feet tall 1.82)but she was like 7 foot tall and she was very very fat and Oh God I was scared of her she intimidated me very much and I just couldn't do anything rigth anything I was a complete mess my shot were really bad the racket went out of my hand alot of time ('cos my hand were really wet)and of course I ended up loosing the match and getting the second place wich it was good but it wasn't enough for me :sad: :sad: or my dad :sad: :sad:
but that was like a year ago. so I'm over that.. :rolleyes: No I'm not :sad:

thelittlestelf
May 7th, 2006, 08:40 PM
I've found that I have a lot of nerves during the opening set because if I don't win it, 19/20 times I'll lose the match because I'll get tired of being on court.

It's also really hard for me to focus on one point at a time. Sometimes after just winning the first game of the first set I go, "Okay, now just win 5 more. In a row."

After winning the first set, though, I usually calm down a lot and have much better focus.

Alek
May 7th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Yes, usually at the start of the match I start doing stupid errors, and go down 0-2/0-3. Someitmes I'm able to control nerves so nothing happens. Some other times I start moonballing only. :p

jenny161185
May 7th, 2006, 08:44 PM
my ball toss on my serve(the weakest part of my game) will begin to go everywhere its something ive been working on really hard though and won a match 1 and 1 yesterday without any service problems :) - my backhand is my strongest shot and sometimes in important matches i tend to slice alot of the time instead of hitting right through it

Wiggly
May 7th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Usually, I don't become too nervous but I often lost set 6-4 when it was 4-4 while ago :lol:

The only thing is that I can be intimated by a powerful opponent. If you hit hard, I will panick for sure :lol:

Also, if you're bad and you just hit the ball the other side of the net, I will be bored and I will lost my concentration in no time :o

komorli
May 7th, 2006, 10:06 PM
I can't serve crap when I'm nervous. :o

liuxuan
May 7th, 2006, 10:17 PM
i get nervous at the beginning, but when i settle in its ok. I get really pissed off because i always feel that whenever a tight point doesnt go my way, its because of my nerves. When im behind, i can sometimes get into a groove, but then lose it as fast as i found it.

For example, while playing a 5 set match, after losing the first two sets 6-2 6-2, I fought really hard in the third to win 7-5, then in the fourth, i got into such a groove and took it 6-1.

Going into the final set, i was so full of confidence, but as we began, I started getting really nervous at the thought of winning. before i knew it, I was 4-0 down. I then fought really hard again and brought it back to 4-4, then made mistakes to lose 6-4. I was gutted as I put everything into the match, and got nothing out of it. It was the longest ive been on court, and I was soooooo exhausted at the end of it.

Farina Elia Fan
May 7th, 2006, 11:17 PM
I have awful nerves, I concentrate so much on the score and know I have to win a point and end up putting it long/into the net. Almost ever match!

Best thing that happened to me was when I injured my knee 6-0 4-1 up when I lose my serve at 4-0 second set because even thought I lost the set 6-4 because I was bitching about my knee. I decided not to care and just play tennis and somehow managed to win 10-8 in the final set after a few pain killers lol

jenny161185
May 7th, 2006, 11:22 PM
just re reading this thread I think this board has to think before the constantly bash players for choking and throwing away points , okay I know its frustrating if theyre your favourite and your really rooting for them but pro tennis players are human and suffer from all the things we ve been talking about in this thread.... :)

champion88
May 7th, 2006, 11:26 PM
i don't usually get nervous in singles- i usually have a slow start- normally go 2-0 down all the time :lol:

it's doubles that makes me nervy coz I play in the mens' 1st team in my club and am 17 years old. I get really nervous coz I much prefer singles and I'm not confident with my volleys and I feel under pressure to play well for my partner!

-Sonic-
May 7th, 2006, 11:28 PM
I can quite easily go 4-0 or 5-0 down and come back to win the set,

I can quite easily go 4-0 or 5-0 and lose the damn thing.

My head is not a safe place to hang out in.

Kirt12255
May 7th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Ughhh me and Tiebreaks :sad: Get really heavy on my feet and start hitting the ball like Nicole Pratt at about 5-5 :o :mad:

No Name Face
May 8th, 2006, 01:23 AM
i am tough to beat in tiebreaks. i've come back from set points down in tiebreaks. don't know why.

UDACHi
May 8th, 2006, 02:43 AM
Some days I'm tough as nails. Others I choke like crazy.

Jem
May 8th, 2006, 02:59 AM
As I've gotten older (45 now), nerves have affected me a lot more than they did when I used to, especially when I feel I'm the favorite. Lately, I've been in a mental slump, and have lost many, many matches after blowing big leads. Somehow, I've got to figure out how to keep my confidence when I'm playing well and not get so tight. When I was younger, nerves were much more positive for me. They gave me an edge instead of brought me down.

skanky~skanketta
May 8th, 2006, 03:03 AM
i'm generally pretty good at closing out matches unless they start throwing lobs at the end of the match. bitches.

Mother_Marjorie
May 8th, 2006, 03:13 AM
I really like this thread.

There is a time when you transition into tournament play that nervousness plays an important factor in your performance. Initially, the nervousness produces less than desirable outcomes. Your muscles tighten, you seem like your are moving in slow motion, etc. etc. Then, you begin to realize it.

As you become more experienced during tournament play, you begin to feel more comfortable and confident during key points in matches.

I think a little bit of nervousness is very natural and normal during the beginning of a final or semi of any tournament, amateur or pro. It helps to remember that you are playing the ball and concentrate on every point the same to bring emotional/mental consistency during a match.