PDA

View Full Version : Language Barriers in Doubles

liuxuan
May 7th, 2006, 03:48 PM
when players from different countries play doubles, do they all speak to each other in english?

obviously when its two germans or two russians they speak in their native tongue, but like, whensugiyama plays with hantuchova or some russian, or like, petrova and ALG play, do they all speak in english?

sharapova apart, who speaks teh best english of the russians?

PointBlank
May 7th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Petrova and Dementieva both speak excellent English, I can understand Petrova more often though.

Dana Marcy
May 7th, 2006, 06:11 PM
About 10 or 11 years ago I saw Florencia Labat and Rika Hiraki (I think that's her last name) playing doubles and they seemed to be just using sign language. :lol: I was sitting very close to the court so I clearly saw them not talking whether it was on the court or during the changeovers.

felipe2004
May 7th, 2006, 07:34 PM
when players from different countries play doubles, do they all speak to each other in english?

obviously when its two germans or two russians they speak in their native tongue, but like, whensugiyama plays with hantuchova or some russian, or like, petrova and ALG play, do they all speak in english?

sharapova apart, who speaks teh best english of the russians?
Can you say this in English? :confused:

chuCKnorris
May 7th, 2006, 07:41 PM
I've seen Benesova & Krajicek playing doubles in Warsaw and it seemed like they were getting on pretty well. I'm just wondering if it's possible that Misa can speak Czech as her family are emigrants from that country??

Wiggly
May 7th, 2006, 07:47 PM
I've seen Benesova & Krajicek playing doubles in Warsaw and it seemed like they were getting on pretty well. I'm just wondering if it's possible that Misa can speak Czech as her family are emigrants from that country??

Was wondering that too :) Misa often practices in Prague...

pcrtennis
May 7th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Ai and Daniealla both speak very good English. That's how they do it. Just like Ai and Kim did it...Ai actually taught Kim some Japanese and Kim taught Ai Flemish! haha

-Sonic-
May 7th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Also, I think it wouldn't be the toughest task to learn a few tennis terms in another language, especially when you're exposed to so many languages all at once.

Of course, the more u can communicate to ur partner the better, but I think scratch pairings with little language in common could still do ok...

Josh
May 7th, 2006, 11:08 PM

Michaella speaks Czech with her parents. Her Czech is certainly at the same level as her Dutch, if not better.

samn
May 7th, 2006, 11:10 PM
See, this is why Martina Navratilova is an all-time great in doubles. She managed to form one of the most successful partnerships ever in spite of not being able to speak a word of Giraffe.