PDA

View Full Version : Who will win a tournament first? Venus or Hingis?

Sally Struthers
May 6th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Having Venus and Martina renew their rivalry the other day got me wondering who's more likely to win a tournament first in their comeback. I think I would have to go with Hingis since she plays more but Venus could pull off Wimbledon.

AsGoodAsNew
May 6th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Sorry Sally I go with Venus. I have a feeling that those 'powder puff' shots will be demolished by many players in the rounds up to the semis. Martina may get a semi under her belt if the draw is kind, but Venus can pull out all the stops even if she hasn't played much. But given that Martina has won nearly half a milion dollars since her return without winning a tournie, I'm not exactly sobbing for her!

The Daviator
May 6th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Nice thread Sally :) I say Hingis simply because she has more of a shot because she plays more events...

santhuruu
May 6th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Venus I think

RJWCapriati
May 6th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Hingis

Lulu.
May 6th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Vee

Jum_p_Over
May 6th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Well since this is just the first to win a title (not a grand slam), i will say hingis. She plays more and eventually she is going to get a good draw + she has shown she can beat good players like davenport and sharapova

azmad_88
May 6th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Hingis :hug:

WF4EVER
May 6th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Good question, Sally. I never really thought about it but really smart question.

Wish I knew, but I'd have to lean towards Venus, if she actually keeps playing. I don't really want to count Martina out but she hasn't proven herself when it's counted so far since her comeback.

I find it kind of hilarious that you would pick Hingis any tournament first yet give Venus the nod to win Wimby in particular. Winning Wimby is a lot tougher than winning a regular tournament. I would give Venus a better chance at winning it than Martina, of course, but to win 'a' tournament is always easier than to win a specific tournament, whether it's your favorite surface or not.

All that said, Venus.

Sally Struthers
May 6th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Good question, Sally. I never really thought about it but really smart question.

Wish I knew, but I'd have to lean towards Venus, if she actually keeps playing. I don't really want to count Martina out but she hasn't proven herself when it's counted so far since her comeback.

I find it kind of hilarious that you would pick Hingis any tournament first yet give Venus the nod to win Wimby in particular. Winning Wimby is a lot tougher than winning a regular tournament. I would give Venus a better chance at winning it than Martina, of course, but to win 'a' tournament is always easier than to win a specific tournament, whether it's your favorite surface or not.

All that said, Venus.

I only mentioned Wimbledon because we all know that Venus is a different player at Wimbledon than she is anywhere else and that she can turn it on when she needs to there. (provided there is no cheating from the umpires :o )

AceTennisGrrrl
May 6th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Venus

jonny84
May 6th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Ooohhh.......tough Q.

I think that Martina will win one first - Eastbourne (if she plays there, is she playing there?). I cant see either winning on clay.

^bibi^
May 6th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Interesting question.. I really hope it's gonna be Martina, but I think it's more likely venus (don't know why though...)

Dasha_
May 6th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Good question.... I think Venus, if she strats to play tournaments now.

New_balls_please
May 6th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Venus, i think. Could be Wimby again.

LegionArgentina
May 6th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Venus

Dawn Marie
May 6th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Well what you're really saying Sally is that you think Hingis will win a clay court title within the next 4 weeks. Or that she'll win a grass title. If you're giving the nod to Venus in July then you think Hingis will win a title in June. I don't see HIngis winning until after July. Unless the draws look better then this week. I am going with Venus. Yet whoever does it will be good for them and I will be happy to see it happen.

PLP
May 6th, 2006, 08:47 PM
I believe they will both win soon...def. both ny the US Open. I don't care which wins first but I will say Martina because I am still pulling for her during this clay season...LOL at the few posters that don't think either will win again in their career..Hi, together they own 10 GS's and they are both only 25!

LH2HBH
May 6th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Even though I am a die-hard Venus fan and am just feeling out Hingis I had to give the edge to Martina.

Martina's career focus right now is 'get back to the top, get deep into tournaments & win win win'

Venus's career focus now seems more like picking and choosing the tournaments she wants to play, keeping her level high but not pushing herself too much, balancing her many interests including tennis.

Stamp Paid
May 6th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Venus, because she will win Wimbledon.

Beny
May 6th, 2006, 09:13 PM
It`s difficult to choose. I don`t think they`ll win many tourneys this year...maybe 1..
I voted for Venus-she`s stronger.. but it`s true that Venus takes part in one tournament while Martina in five in about two months time...

-VSR-
May 6th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Well obviously it will be Venus in Rome! ;)

winone23
May 6th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Venus she'll win Rome

winone23
May 6th, 2006, 10:38 PM
VSR we are in agreement! Rome it is!

Summer Snow
May 6th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Really depends. If Venus decides to play more tournament,s she will definitely win one eventually. Martina on the other hand plays 40/52 weeks on tour :help: I can definitely see her winning a Tier III or Tier IV.

Summer Snow
May 6th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Well obviously it will be Venus in Rome! ;)
:kiss: :lick:

KClijsters
Venus

Summer Snow
Venus, because she will win Wimbledon.
:sad:

SAEKeithSerena
May 6th, 2006, 10:40 PM
venus.

i have to fucking laugh when i read that 3 people voted for neither of them to win a tournament again. are you nuts?!?

IceHock
May 6th, 2006, 10:42 PM
i'll say hingis because she plays more tourneys.venus doesn't play that many.

Ceze
May 6th, 2006, 11:09 PM
i'll say hingis because she plays more tourneys.venus doesn't play that many.I voted Hingis for the same reason

Piotr'ek
May 6th, 2006, 11:21 PM
After what I saw in Warsaw I am sure Venus will be one of the top contenders at Roland Garros :drive:

MH0861
May 6th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Venus.. because once she works her way back into good form, she can beat anyone. Hingis plays a lot of tournaments, but they've been high calibre events. Unless she enters a lower tiered tournament or one with a weak field, I don't see her winning a title in the near future.

PLP
May 6th, 2006, 11:50 PM
Really depends. If Venus decides to play more tournament,s she will definitely win one eventually. Martina on the other hand plays 40/52 weeks on tour :help: I can definitely see her winning a Tier III or Tier IV.
Oh dear...1st of all Martina will not play Tier III (besides 1) or Tier 4. 2nd, she will not play more than 20 tournaments this year. Lastly she was 1 win away from a Tier 1 title in February, so there isn't any doubt she will have At least 1 trophy by the end of the year>P

VS Fan
May 6th, 2006, 11:57 PM
Both will win tourneys, Venus might be first or maybe not.

Glad that Martina is back, she is a great tennis player!

SvetaPleaseWin.
May 7th, 2006, 12:00 AM
venus :worship:

i cant see hingis winning many tier I/IIs-i reckon she could win tier IIIs but i dont see her entering many if any

so i pick venus-she's more capable of beating the best of the best in back-to-back matches

Mateo Mathieu
May 7th, 2006, 02:23 AM
Venus

ey7662
May 7th, 2006, 09:13 AM
maybe Venus...
but if Martina can choose some lower tier games , she definitely do it :lol:

MrSerenaWilliams
May 7th, 2006, 09:30 AM
i think Venus will. Only because of where the WTA is right now, Venus has that kind of game. Martina will definately win another title this year, its just her best chances are on hardcourt where she can use players' power against them. She's good on grass, but...to me, she doesn't seem to posess the same potentcy of shot that Vee, Ree, Maria, and Lindsay have. Martina will most likely win either LA, San Diego, or Toronto. She's a good player, but I think Venus will win something first....although Martina plays more...I voted for Venus for OBVIOUS reasons, but i mean it really could be either of them.

Scobby- Doo
May 7th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Venus will win Wimbledon in July so I vote for her :D

Viktymise
May 7th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Venus cause she is gonna win Wimbledon well i hope

Jackson.
May 7th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Martina at least she'll play more than 10 tournaments a year :tape: :lol:

Sally Struthers
May 22nd, 2006, 05:44 PM
well this is settled :lol:

V-MAC
May 22nd, 2006, 05:48 PM
Vee has quite a lot more votes too :eek: ah well, we'll see who will end up winning their first slam for this year :devil: