PDA

View Full Version : Have your say, will Venus be ready for Wimbledon?

santhuruu
May 6th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Well I think this is an interesting discussion thread, will Venus be ready for Wimbledon? Some of the people said Venus played worse at Warsaw and that she was sometimes very lucky. Other say Venus played quite well on clay and that her groundies that she produced there would be absolutely super on the grass courts and hard courts.

Have your say!

LoveFifteen
May 6th, 2006, 04:11 PM
I think she will. I am proud of her. At the beginning of the season, things looked so bleak, but now things are looking up.

Fantastic
May 6th, 2006, 04:15 PM
After the 1999 season, Venus was out of the game for close to six months due to tendonitis in her wrists. She returned at Hamburg in 2000, played Berlin and Rome (losing to Jelena Dokic there) before making the QF of Roland Garros (losing to Arantxa Sanchez Vicario there). Four weeks later, Venus walked away with her first-ever Grand Slam singles championship at Wimbledon, which would turn out to be her first of three (so far).

So, yeah, i think she has the knowledge that she can be ready for Wimbledon. My bet is that she will be ready. :)

selesbooz
May 6th, 2006, 04:16 PM
with that racket, hell yeah. the only reason that she won last year was because of the big @$$ racket. that should be outlawed.

tennnisfannn
May 6th, 2006, 04:16 PM
5 finals in 6 years is a great resume, kinda hard to argue with her success on grass. Besides she still has time to hit form for her fav. surface.

redrubylips
May 6th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Why not!It"s her faavorite slam? My"s

terjw
May 6th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Well there's plenty of time now. I don't see why she shouldn't be ready unless those cramps she got in her legs prevents her from playing. But she looked fine against Kuzzy. If she plays some tournaments and she is ready she will be one of a number of top players there with a chance of the title. I don't think the women's game has ever been more open as to who could win.

What tournaments is she due to play in now before Wimbledon?

GracefulVenus
May 6th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Yep, she will be ready! Everyone knows that I am a huge fan on title defending, which has not be that great this year on the WTA Tour. I hope
Venus will aggressively defend her Wimbledon Title............Unless Serena spoils the day;)

new-york
May 6th, 2006, 04:50 PM
with that racket, hell yeah. the only reason that she won last year was because of the big @$$ racket. that should be outlawed.

dude, please.

LH2HBH
May 6th, 2006, 04:51 PM

Wow! You should let the other players on the tour know so that they can benefit from your insight and win Wimbledon as well!!!!

AsGoodAsNew
May 6th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Everyone had written Venus off last year - after being cheated the previous one - so she wasn't 'ready' in 05. Even Venus admitted she didn't think she would win. And her own father! But talent and guts won the day. No reason to think 06 will be different! If Venus stays (relatively) injury free she must have a huge chance. Last year she beat the defending Champ and then Lindzilla. I doubt Lindzilla will be in her way this year, but Venus has Sharapova's number at Wimbly.

Bitter Blue Bong
May 6th, 2006, 05:16 PM
I think she'll be ready. She wasn't having stellar results last year on clay either and then blitzed through the field at Wimbledon.

Lulu.
May 6th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Yes. She will be ready and she should win it unless Serena decides to play :)

santhuruu
May 6th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Well there's plenty of time now. I don't see why she shouldn't be ready unless those cramps she got in her legs prevents her from playing. But she looked fine against Kuzzy. If she plays some tournaments and she is ready she will be one of a number of top players there with a chance of the title. I don't think the women's game has ever been more open as to who could win.

What tournaments is she due to play in now before Wimbledon?

Before Wimbledon she is planning to play WTA Rome and Roland Garros, if she stays injury-free and if everything goes good.

santhuruu
May 6th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Well I only see the reasons of why Venus is ready for Wimbledon but I also see some people have chosen the answer no in my poll. Could one of them tell why she couldn't be ready for Wimbledon?

The Daviator
May 6th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Of course she'll be ready, but she'll have her work cut out if she wants to defend...

V-MAC
May 6th, 2006, 05:55 PM
I would love it if Venus would play Eastbourne again some day :) It is such a nice tournament. Anyway, Venus will be ready, when she plays Wimbledon she is always like a woman on a mission, she has that special aura that the grass beings out in her :eek: :bounce:

squash
May 6th, 2006, 07:37 PM
it looks so, I was very impress with her performance this week, looking real good!!!!

Williams-forever
May 6th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Venus will be as ready as she can, unless another injury breaks up... :angel:

Viktymise
May 6th, 2006, 09:27 PM
If she stays healthy than she definatley will be, the points i saw of her this week would be great on grass, if she gets a good seeding at Wimbledon i think she should be favourite at Wimbledon if she has solid results from now onwards because she will be so much fresher aswell than every1 else by Wimbledon

SAEKeithSerena
May 6th, 2006, 09:44 PM
for someone who has been in the final 5 out of the past 6 years, she'll be ready more than anyone on the wta tour.

-VSR-
May 6th, 2006, 11:02 PM
I think her comeback is going pretty well (minus the cramps) on the clay courts, so that is a good sign. I think if she continues to be healthy and practice routinely, then yes, she will be ready for Wimbledon, let alone Roland Garros.

faboozadoo15
May 6th, 2006, 11:20 PM
why wouldn't she be ready? wimbledon isn't for quite some time, and she'll have a few tournaments between now and then.

whether she'll win is another question.

RJWCapriati
May 6th, 2006, 11:51 PM
Yes

slydevil6142
May 7th, 2006, 12:11 AM

Hey I use that big ass racket haha.... honestly if you watch womens matches live you notice how big ALL the girls rackets are.

venus_rulez
May 7th, 2006, 12:38 AM
I think she'll definitely be ready. Venus has lots of positives to take from this week. As of right now, I'm fully expecting her to defend. :worship:

Paldias
May 7th, 2006, 01:26 AM
Damn straight.

Dawn Marie
May 7th, 2006, 02:54 AM

Then your saying all those that LOST are stupid. I know that Venus is not the only one who has the OPTION of using "THAT RAQUET".

You dumbfuck.

Dawn Marie
May 7th, 2006, 03:00 AM
She will be ready. She is doing the right thing. getting matches under her belt until the Wimbeldon starts. I don't think all these clay court tourneys are preparing her for RG but more so for the grass. Match toughness is what she needs right now. She may peak right in time for Wimby.

drake3781
why wouldn't she be ready? wimbledon isn't for quite some time, and she'll have a few tournaments between now and then.

whether she'll win is another question.

Agree..... I voted "Yes" because it appears she is making tennis a priority again. But I'm not seeing her ready to win any tournament as of yet. Wish I could spend the weeks at Wimbledon........ maybe when I'm retired :sad: or win the lottery... I have two scratch-off tickets here :lol: .

Marshmallow
I don't know for sure, but her MENTAL attitude is definitely in the right place. If she can keep this up, and get some more matches under her best, we could see the trend of a Williams sister making the wimbledon finals at least, continue, or better the trend of a williams sister winning wimbledon (which was so rudely interrupted in 2004) continue.

Andy.
May 7th, 2006, 03:05 AM
For sure this sort of reminds me of 2000 when she was injured for the first part of the year and came back at Hamburg which has been replaced by Warsaw and got into it by RG and was onfire by Wimbledon. She will be ready and she will put it all on the line to defend her title.

santhuruu
May 7th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Okay so we almost all think that Venus will be ready for Wimbledon this year,

up to the next question:

Name your top three female tennisplayers wo will be able to beat Venus on grass at Wimbledon.

Have your say!

1jackson2001
May 7th, 2006, 08:50 AM
She didn't exactly have a great record going into last year's Wimbledon and looked what happened! She may not have had the most ideal preparation this year for most players, but Venus doesn't need "preparation" when it comes to Wimbledon ;)...she's hit or miss, and she usually hits! :cool:

Preparation be damned...she'll be ready. :lol:

kiwifan
May 7th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Not really, but if she's still around the second week, she'll still be the most dangerous player in town. :cool:

-sugi-
May 7th, 2006, 09:01 AM
yes

MLF
May 7th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Venus' season has a similar feeling as her 2000. She returned in the 1st clay event in Hamburg after a long break that year and had some relatively disappointing losses ( lost 3&4 to Coetzer, 1&2 to Dokic in Rome and in 3 sets to Sanchez at RG ) but the important thing was she was getting some matches played which set her up for Wimbledon where she of course won that year.

Il Primo!
May 7th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Hell yeah!Last year she was less well prepared,I mean she had only played one tourney on clay (that she won) at Istanbul. And lost miserably against S.Kara at RG. This year she will arrive at London with more matches in the legs. So I think she will be ready. Moreover we all know how dangerous she is there,in spite of the lack of matches or lack of confidence ;)

lee station
May 7th, 2006, 11:40 AM
It's a bit early imo

neptuneslims
May 7th, 2006, 01:56 PM
i think she will be

new-york
May 7th, 2006, 02:05 PM
After the 1999 season, Venus was out of the game for close to six months due to tendonitis in her wrists. She returned at Hamburg in 2000, played Berlin and Rome (losing to Jelena Dokic there) before making the QF of Roland Garros (losing to Arantxa Sanchez Vicario there). Four weeks later, Venus walked away with her first-ever Grand Slam singles championship at Wimbledon, which would turn out to be her first of three (so far).

So, yeah, i think she has the knowledge that she can be ready for Wimbledon. My bet is that she will be ready. :)

nicely put.

jj74
May 7th, 2006, 02:25 PM
I think she will, i never was a big fan of the williams but the truth is that i miss them, i think the circuit needs right now a bit of spice, and the sisters in top form is always worth to watch

TeaMMashA
May 7th, 2006, 02:34 PM
I don't know for sure, but her MENTAL attitude is definitely in the right place. If she can keep this up, and get some more matches under her best, we could see the trend of a Williams sister making the wimbledon finals at least, continue, or better the trend of a williams sister winning wimbledon (which was so rudely interrupted in 2004) continue.

Now we know why :lol: ;)

Yeah she ll be ready if she stays injury free

Andrew..
May 7th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Will she be "ready"? Yes. But being ready doesn't mean that she's absolutely going to do well. She was ready in 2004, and lost in the 2r.

MrSerenaWilliams
May 7th, 2006, 02:52 PM
She should definately be ready. I mean, she, Serena and Maria are different players at Wimbledon. They can be doing marginally well, and then turn it on for Wimbledon. Although Maria doesn't have the long GS resume' that Vee and Ree have, she will one day. And although all of them have been #1 and won GS titles before, Wimbledon seems like their favorite slam and they always want to do well there. Venus, to me, looks like the only real early contender for the title. Maria seems a bit distracted and off her 2004 form, and Serena's off. But who knows, that's why they play right?
I voted yes, and think, with a decent draw (Davenport and Sharapova both on the opposite side of Vee), she should definately walk away with WIMBLEDON #4

Paneru
May 7th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Ofcourse she will, no doubt!

She's spoke and shown her desire and so
long as she maintains her health her timing
will be perfect.

Warsaw showed she indeed has been practicing while
she was out(contrary to popular belief) and now that her elbow
is better she'll be able to practice her serving more and get it
consistent.

I just think her timing is perfect for her to having an amazing year
especially when you consider how it started.

I wouldn't be surprised for her to make
much noise at RG either.

vettipooh
May 7th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Hopefully yes, especially since Rena is out! That always seems to give her that little extra motivation . ;)