PDA

View Full Version : Question about playing doubles....

Cam'ron Giles
May 6th, 2006, 03:55 PM
....what is poaching?

jonny84
May 6th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Is it when a player poaches someone elses (regular) doubles partner, to do better themselves?

AceTennisGrrrl
May 6th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Poaching is when somone like runs across the net really upclose and whacks the ball for a winner

AceTennisGrrrl
May 6th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Say if like a return is hit into the middle of the court, the partner of the servers team just sort of leaps into the middle and hits it

LH2HBH
May 6th, 2006, 04:46 PM
A surprise volley by the person at the net.

Cam'ron Giles
May 6th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Thanks guys...Who is the best poacher on tour? Vivi I would imagine...?

santhuruu
May 6th, 2006, 07:55 PM
I think it's Serena, because I just watched the match Serena/Venus def. Kournikova/Rubin Wimbledon semifinal 2002, even the commentators said that Serena was making some surprisingly good volley's. There were even good volley's of Kournikova which no one expected at that time

Geisha
May 6th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Poaching is like an interception of the ball from a player at net.

LH2HBH
May 6th, 2006, 08:50 PM
I think it's Serena, because I just watched the match Serena/Venus def. Kournikova/Rubin Wimbledon semifinal 2002, even the commentators said that Serena was making some surprisingly good volley's. There were even good volley's of Kournikova which no one expected at that time

I have seen Serena and Anna play doubles and believe me, they are both good poachers.

faste5683
May 6th, 2006, 09:04 PM
A surprise volley by the person at the net.

"Poaching" is also a planned play. If the server has good control, she will often tell the net player that she's going to hit it down the "t". This serve reduces the chance of the reciever to hit down the "line", thus freeing up the net person to move out of her normal position (which would be covering the down the line shot) into a more aggresive, midway (or further) across the net position.

It can be a devastating tactic against weak returns...

:wavey:

Rtael
May 6th, 2006, 09:12 PM
That's why they sometimes do the "I" formation, where the player at the net is pretty much directly in front of the server, and the net person crouches down below the net so they don't get hit by the serve.

Viktymise
May 6th, 2006, 09:52 PM
I have seen Serena and Anna play doubles and believe me, they are both good poachers.
Yeah thats serena's best thing in doubles her poaching i mean iv only seen her play doubles at Wimbledon but in all the matches iv seen of her, the poching was great, good volleys aswell but she can struggle more than venus in the partnership

faste5683
May 6th, 2006, 10:10 PM
That's why they sometimes do the "I" formation, where the player at the net is pretty much directly in front of the server, and the net person crouches down below the net so they don't get hit by the serve.

Exactly! But, by it's very nature, could lining up in the I formation and hitting a volley be considered a true "poach"?

An aside: you often hear a player say "my partner makes a living at the net." Picking off easy balls = poaching...:lol:

:wavey:

Shooter
May 6th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Best poacher - Renee Stubbs.

controlfreak
May 7th, 2006, 01:59 AM
Watching Sugiyama at the net is a masterclass in poaching, poach-faking, and all the other possible combinations of net plays.