PDA

View Full Version : Serena Williams: 2004 Wimbledon.

Jaffas85
May 6th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Serena Williams won Wimbledon in 2002 and 2003 and in 2004 she made it to the final.

Do you think that her procession to the final in 2004 was as strong and dominating as it had been in 2002/03' or was she struggling a bit more or not in as good a form?

At the 2004 Wimbledon was her physical shape and movement as good as it had been in previous years?

Would you say her loss in the final was a freak occurance, and because of how good Maria is, or that, generally, she just wasn't up to scratch as much mentally and physically as she had been in the previous 2 years?

jj74
May 6th, 2006, 01:06 PM
If i'm not wrong Serena wasn't so fit in 2004 because of injuries, she reach the final not because she was 100% just because she is a fighter and very good on grass, and final it was a bad day (even the greatest have bad days) for her and Sharapova played very well

:inlove:
May 6th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Well she played extremely well to beat Jen 6-1 6-1 in the quarters. :shrug: The semi was a slight struggle but Amelie was playing extremely solid...But I'd still say she wasn't as dominating that year as in 02/03. :cool:

Nickk
May 6th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Her physical shape was just fine I think.

Her form in general wasn't as good as in the previous years that was also one of the reasons for her loss in the final...

yukon145
May 6th, 2006, 04:09 PM
she lost cause of this girl named Sharapova, thats why.

Krystell
May 6th, 2006, 04:22 PM
she lost cause of this girl named Sharapova, thats why.

Sharapova came out like gangbusters and wiped her off the court, pretty much :worship:

Viktymise
May 6th, 2006, 04:32 PM
I think she just took it for granted she had won when she was in the final, she played pretty good all tournament, she wasnt at her best but it was good enough for her to advance to the final plus it was a tough match against mauresmo and she was mentally tired after it she just couldnt get it together in the final, there were flashes of what she is about but never enough of it, im sure she will always rue that final though, i mean well done to sharapova played well but under the circumstances she couldnt have played any better maybe if serena was 10% more in form she would have won the second set and probably the match

LH2HBH
May 6th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Her form was not that great, which can still usually beat most other players but a certain 13th seeded Maria Sharapova was better that day.

Yonexforever
May 6th, 2006, 04:53 PM
I Think She Underestimated Sharapova In That Final.

Serena Thought Maria Would Just Be Satified With Gettin To The Final And That The Occasion Would Overwhelm Her.

Big Mistake.. Also Trying To Out Hit Maria That Day Was Not A Sound Strategy.

She Solved That Problem After Though.

serenafan08
May 6th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Maria played great, and Serena herself admitted that she was too nervous to play her best. It's always nice to be able to swing without the pressure of expectation - which is exactly what Maria did that day. However, Maria soon found out how heavy the pressure of being expected to win really is - hence she hasn't won another Grand Slam.

GracefulVenus
May 6th, 2006, 05:34 PM
If i'm not wrong Serena wasn't so fit in 2004 because of injuries, she reach the final not because she was 100% just because she is a fighter and very good on grass, and final it was a bad day (even the greatest have bad days) for her and Sharapova played very well
Totally agreed!

morningglory
May 6th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Serena seemed so good beating Jen, but after I watched the Momo match I started to think well maybe the Russian girl has a chance after all. I think Serena wasn't 100% fit and ran out of steam a bit towards the end of the tourny.

Oneofakind0490
May 6th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Serena was not at the top of her game. SHe owned Capriati and fought her way to victory against Mauresmo. She came up short against Maria and as we all nkow she was only at 20% of her way of playing;).

dreamgoddess099
May 6th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Serena wasn't nearly as intense in that final as she'd been in slam finals the previous year or even in the match before. I kept waiting for the fight she's capable of and had come so easily in so many big matches to show up, but it was like she'd forgotten how to play a slam final. Serena just wasn't of the same mental fortitude as she was before she had the layoff. Serena needed her best tennis to beat pressureless Maria who was just swinging away, but she couldn't find it. Much the same way Maria couldn't find her best tennis against Venus when she was the one with the pressure to defend the title just a year later. All in all, I think mostly that the pressure to win three Wimbledons in a row was just too much for Serena to handle at that particular point in her comeback, and I'm sure the custody battle going on that week for her sister's kid's (not to mention the whole ugly way Venus was knocked out of the tournament) had a bit to do with her weaker mental state as well.

Lulu.
May 6th, 2006, 06:52 PM

Excatly. Sharapova didnt have to do much to win that day :o

Stamp Paid
May 6th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Serena wasn't nearly as intense in that final as she'd been in slam finals the previous year or even in the match before. I kept waiting for the fight she's capable of and had come so easily in so many big matches to show up, but it was like she'd forgotten how to play a slam final. Serena just wasn't of the same mental fortitude as she was before she had the layoff. Serena needed her best tennis to beat pressureless Maria who was just swinging away, but she couldn't find it. Much the same way Maria couldn't find her best tennis against Venus when she was the one with the pressure to defend the title just a year later. All in all, I think mostly that the pressure to win three Wimbledons in a row was just too much for Serena to handle at that particular point in her comeback, and I'm sure the custody battle going on that week for her sister's kid's (not to mention the whole ugly way Venus was knocked out of the tournament) had a bit to do with her weaker mental state as well.

I agree, the occasion definitely got to Serena in that Wimbledon Final in 2004, she was extremely tight, and Sharapova was swinging freely.

SAEKeithSerena
May 6th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Well she played extremely well to beat Jen 6-1 6-1 in the quarters. :shrug: The semi was a slight struggle but Amelie was playing extremely solid...But I'd still say she wasn't as dominating that year as in 02/03. :cool:

she destroyed her, i lovedddddddddd that match. i miss that serena:rolleyes:

vogus
May 6th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Serena was not nearly as good in '04 as '02-'03. Without the benefit of a very bad choke from Mauresmo in the SF, she would have lost, and then in the final Sharapova really took it to Serena. I was pretty certain after seeing her play so badly at RG, that she wouldnt win Wimby that year.

Jaffas85
May 7th, 2006, 03:30 AM
What was Serena's ranking after finishing Wimbledon 2004 and what was her Dharapova's ranking before the tournament and what did it jump to after she won?

Thanks.

IceHock
May 7th, 2006, 03:33 AM
it was basicly sharapova coming out fearless,and whacking the ball as hard as she could.she had serena on her backfoot most of the match.i think she was fine or she would prolly not have gotten to the final like last year.it was more of sharpova playing her best tennis.

Marshmallow
May 7th, 2006, 03:39 AM
Serena was over confident, not very focused. Amelie Mauresmo had also softened her up. But what can we do now...

Mightymirza
May 7th, 2006, 03:41 AM
yeah I remember watching Serena vs Jill craybas match in 2004 and serena destroyed Jill and commentators were saying Jill really has no weapon to damage Serena...But 1 yr after... :tape: It was soo freaking wild..Never thought at 2004 that rena will lose in wimby like this...:sad:

MrSerenaWilliams
May 7th, 2006, 08:58 AM
I mean....Serena had a lot going on mentally. It was her first GS final in 5 1/2 years where she didn't have to play her sister. I think she definately underestimated Sharapova, becasue she had beaten her so easily in Miami earlier that year. She was EXTREMELY tight because of all of the pressure surrounding her winning 3 Wimbledons in a row. It was just a lot of bad on Serena's end...not to mention the EMOTIONALLY and PHYSICALLY draining SF against Mauresmo...on top of all of that, Sharapova played the best match of her life. Sharapova has to play 90% to 100% to beat Serena. 6 Months later, Serena was 2 games away from winning the YEC and the only reason she lost is because she did everything she could not to retire (hmmm JUSTINE.......). Nothing bad against Maria, I like her, but Serena is just too good. Maria played better that day, but the REAL Serena would NOT have let a 4-2 second set lead slip, especially since she was already down a set. She took Maria for granted, and Maria just played her best tennis....CASE CLOSED. I mean it was 2 years ago, so there's nothing to do about it, hopefully they get a rematch and the REAL Serena shows up...that should be an interesting battle....COME ON Wimbledon 2007 Serena v. Sharapova

hingis-seles
May 7th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Maria Sharapova > Serena Williams in that match, which is why she won. It's not rocket science.

:inlove:
May 7th, 2006, 11:25 AM
she destroyed her, i lovedddddddddd that match. i miss that serena:rolleyes:

As do i, SAEKeithSerena, as do i...*closes eyes wisely* :angel:

rik du chesnay
May 7th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Does Serena love playing tennis?What do you think?