PDA

View Full Version : Kuznetsova - best ALL surface game?

!<blocparty>!
May 6th, 2006, 02:51 AM
Not counting mental toughness against top players *yes, mental toughness counts for lots and lots and lots in tennis*, yet, just her GAME... serve, movement, forehand, topspin, slice, overhead, backhand, fitness, power.

Is she the best all court player on tour, possibly ever? OKOK, this may seem a little stupid, as she only has one slam, but seriously, what other players had/have a game thats pretty much suited/capable of doing well to/on every surface?

Discuss.

!<blocparty>!
May 6th, 2006, 02:53 AM
I want names, how their shots match up on whatever surface.

Success doesn't have to come into it.

Summer Snow
May 6th, 2006, 02:54 AM
I would say Henin Hardenne or Mauresmo!

Lulu.
May 6th, 2006, 02:57 AM

I agree

UDACHi
May 6th, 2006, 02:57 AM

Since I got into tennis in 2004, Justine's been 0-1 on grass, so I can't really speak for her. :lol:

But Amelie is definitely a great choice. :yeah:

Cat's Pajamas
May 6th, 2006, 02:58 AM
is Kuzy a lesbian :confused:

ys
May 6th, 2006, 03:03 AM
Sveta's game won't be effective indoors, I am afraid.. On other surfaces she should be very effective..

UDACHi
May 6th, 2006, 03:04 AM
Sveta's game won't be effective indoors, I am afraid.. On other surfaces she should be very effective..

Why not?

ys
May 6th, 2006, 03:08 AM
Why not?

Fast surface. Low bounce. Surface doesn't react to topspin all that much.. The same reason why Henin is generally unsuccessful indoors too..

UDACHi
May 6th, 2006, 03:11 AM
Fast surface. Low bounce. Surface doesn't react to topspin all that much.. The same reason why Henin is generally unsuccessful indoors too..

I see.

I think I need someone to write up a printout about bounces and what kinds of games are effective on what surface. I just don't get it. I know clay is slow and grass is fast. :shrug: :lol:

Summer Snow
May 6th, 2006, 03:11 AM
:haha:

:secret: Yes

Summer Snow
May 6th, 2006, 03:13 AM
Since I got into tennis in 2004, Justine's been 0-1 on grass, so I can't really speak for her. :lol:

But Amelie is definitely a great choice. :yeah:

Me too. But enin has a Final and a Semi-Final appearance in 01' and 03'. Both times being crushed, brutalized and embarrassed and Centre Court by the eventual Champion :help:

Summer Snow
May 6th, 2006, 03:15 AM
I see.

I think I need someone to write up a printout about bounces and what kinds of games are effective on what surface. I just don't get it. I know clay is slow and grass is fast. :shrug: :lol:
:o Well I think you already should kow that topspin and slice are very effective on Rebound Ace and Clay. The slice is very effective on grass; however top spin doesn't do much damage. As you should know, and I believe you do, power and athleticism is vital to have success on Grass :drool: That's why Venus and Serena dominate on grass ;) :D :p

Volcana
May 6th, 2006, 04:12 AM
is Kuzy a lesbian :confused:What kind of surface is that? Is it faster than Rebound Ace?

Summer Snow
May 6th, 2006, 04:33 AM
What kind of surface is that? Is it faster than Rebound Ace?
No, it's the Slavic term for Ice :o

Reuchlin
May 6th, 2006, 05:12 AM
http://www.parm.net/b3ta/bandwagon.jpg

spartanfan
May 6th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Kuznetsova hasn't always been known for her fitness or consistency. The past couple of months she been a lot more consistent, but how can you have a conversation about being an all surface player without mentioning Serena Williams, the ONLY player since Steffi Graf to win GS on all surfaces. Or the success of Martina Hingis on all surfaces of Venus Williams? And you can't factor OUT mental toughness, because that's one of the keys to being successful on all surfaces.

!<blocparty>!
May 6th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Kuznetsova hasn't always been known for her fitness or consistency. The past couple of months she been a lot more consistent, but how can you have a conversation about being an all surface player without mentioning Serena Williams, the ONLY player since Steffi Graf to win GS on all surfaces. Or the success of Martina Hingis on all surfaces of Venus Williams? And you can't factor OUT mental toughness, because that's one of the keys to being successful on all surfaces.

Yes, you can factor out mental toughness. Hingis' game doesn't suit grass.

blumaroo
May 6th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Clijsters is a great all-court player. Grass suits her the least but it will take a great grasscourter to take her out.

RJWCapriati
May 6th, 2006, 03:19 PM
I think Mauresmo is the best all court player on tour

santhuruu
May 6th, 2006, 04:02 PM
I think Venus, Serena and Henin-Hardenne have all surface game, but Kuznetsova comes very close!!!

améliemomo
May 6th, 2006, 04:31 PM
I think Mauresmo is the best all court player on tour

oh my god!!!! :eek:

is that you RJWCapriati05????!!!!!!! :eek: first time I see a kind comment about amélie from you :lol:

and you are not wrong :p :D ;)

morningglory
May 6th, 2006, 04:35 PM
on grass those forementioned players (Sveta, Amelie and Justine) are really weak compared to their prowess on the other surfaces. I don't think "all-court" should include grass since if you're great on grass you most likely won't be on clay and vice versa...

tennisjunky
May 6th, 2006, 04:41 PM
of all time, hell no!!! that would have to be steffi graf. but shes got the kind of game that should do well on all surfaces like mauresmo, serena, and pierce do.

hablo
May 6th, 2006, 04:49 PM
on grass those forementioned players (Sveta, Amelie and Justine) are really weak compared to their prowess on the other surfaces. I don't think "all-court" should include grass since if you're great on grass you most likely won't be on clay and vice versa...
Mauresmo isn't weak on grass!

morningglory
May 6th, 2006, 04:50 PM
compare that to her prowess on the others and you'll see... her spin gets nullified so much there

LUIS9
May 6th, 2006, 04:58 PM
I agree

I second this both Mauresmo's and Henin's game translate extremely well in all surfaces. Henin not so much on fast hardcourts recently especially at the US open. But she's made the semis at Indian wells again and won Dubai and Sydney. She lost early last year in wimbledon so we will see how she rebounds this year at wimby.

Mauresmo's game definitely translates well in all surfaces. Mentally she's still not over all her demons.

Kuztnetsova is yet to make a semis at wimby but she's done well at Eastbourne, has she won any of the tuneups leading into wimby?

Hingis used to and probably still does well on all surfaces while she will most likely struggle the most against power players on grass.

hablo
May 6th, 2006, 05:19 PM
compare that to her prowess on the others and you'll see... her spin gets nullified so much there
look up her record on grass...
plus she plays more aggressive - goes way more to the net ...

Lulu.
May 6th, 2006, 05:23 PM
I also think Tati has a game thats good on all surfaces

!<blocparty>!
May 6th, 2006, 05:25 PM
I also think Tati has a game thats good on all surfaces

LOLz. Tati on clay? :o

Il Primo!
May 6th, 2006, 05:28 PM
No!Too much top spin. The best all surface game is JHH's and even Venus game suits better to every surface than Sveta :p

Lulu.
May 6th, 2006, 05:35 PM
LOLz. Tati on clay? :o

Just what I think. Nobody said you had to agree ;)

!<blocparty>!
May 6th, 2006, 05:44 PM
But, Justine can get overpowered on grass. We've seen this, especially in 2003 (Wimbledon semi). I would say Svetlana's best game would be too powerful for Justine on it.

Lady
May 6th, 2006, 05:53 PM

Exactly. Amelie probably has her most consisten slam results there.
BTW, neither is Justine or Sveta.

Lady
May 6th, 2006, 05:55 PM

Ok, do you know Sveta's and Maria's H2H's on grass?

Summer Snow
look up her record on grass...
plus she plays more aggressive - goes way more to the net ...
Some people are quite **** :o :help: You and I both know that Amelie is terrific on grass and she DEFINITELY has the chance to win the remaining Grand Slams! :angel:

^bibi^
how is it relevant ? :lol:

Summer Snow
May 6th, 2006, 05:56 PM
Ok, do you know Sveta's and Maria's H2H's on grass?
;) I do!! Pick me!! :bounce:

morningglory
May 6th, 2006, 06:02 PM
geez some people don't really read the whole sentence... Amelie is best on HC, Svetlana and Justine on clay. And they're so good on it it makes their performance on grass seem just average. :o

!<blocparty>!
May 6th, 2006, 06:08 PM
BTW -- Loving Kuzzy's new hair. :o:help:

hablo
May 6th, 2006, 06:09 PM
it's quite unfortunate that there so few grass tournaments in comparison to clay, hard courts.

Summer Snow
May 6th, 2006, 06:14 PM
geez some people don't really read the whole sentence... Amelie is best on HC, Svetlana and Justine on clay. And they're so good on it it makes their performance on grass seem just average. :o
She is best on Hard Court however her two GS Finals and wins are on Rebound Ace :help: I think she is best on Clay! :bolt:

Farina Elia Fan
May 6th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Mauresmo for me

morningglory
May 6th, 2006, 06:15 PM
rebound ace is a type of HC no?

Lady
May 6th, 2006, 06:19 PM

Amelie is better on grass then on HC.

PLP
May 6th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Yes, you can factor out mental toughness. Hingis' game doesn't suit grass.
I disagree. Her game is great for grass, she has had some baD loses at Wimbledon, that is true, but it is not becasue her game isn't suited for it.

I think Sveta has the best all-surface game at the moment, yes, but as another poster stated, Serena is the only active player to have won all 4 majors, so I think she is the one, with Venus and Martina not far behind, though all 3 are not in optimal playing shape ATM, and of course Momo and JHH are up there>P

Jenny.C.Fan
May 6th, 2006, 06:34 PM
yea, Sveta has a complete all court game.

ys
May 6th, 2006, 06:35 PM
on grass those forementioned players (Sveta, Amelie and Justine) are really weak compared to their prowess on the other surfaces..

:rolls:

What a pile of crap.. :lol: You are talking about Eastbourne Champion, Wimbledon finalist and multiple Wimbledon semifinalis, don't you? :lol:

The thing is that unlike it is for men, women's grass game is really slow, slower than hardcourt. Women don't dictate as much as men with their serves, meaning that most of points are decided in rallies.. And what are rallies on grass? It's shots that are hit mostly from very low position, meaning - the shots with less of pace and more of topspin - and that is not claycourt or hardcourt topspin - it doesn't relly kick up.. But that's something all three are good at - topspinning balls in. Add to that that all three have serves far better than average, move well, decent volleyers ( Mauresmo has probably the best transition game of all Tour ) , and that explains why all three of them are good grasscourters.. But, still, they are not as natural on grass as, say, Sharapova or Williamses who can take ball very early and flatten it - something that is very deadly on the surface.

!<blocparty>!
May 6th, 2006, 06:39 PM
I disagree. Her game is great for grass, she has had some baD loses at Wimbledon, that is true, but it is not becasue her game isn't suited for it.

I think Sveta has the best all-surface game at the moment, yes, but as another poster stated, Serena is the only active player to have won all 4 majors, so I think she is the one, with Venus and Martina not far behind, though all 3 are not in optimal playing shape ATM, and of course Momo and JHH are up there>P

LOL. Tina's game is not great for grass. If she ran into any Williams, Davenport, Sharapova, Mauresmo playing half decent tennis, they would rape that serve and blow her off court. Doubles on the other hand...

Serena doesn't have a natural clay court game, she takes her game onto the surface, same for Venus. Yes both Venus and Serena have the potential to do great on all surfaces but they impose their games onto them.

Again, just my opinion.

!<blocparty>!
May 6th, 2006, 06:42 PM
The thing is that unlike it is for men, women's grass game is really slow, slower than hardcourt.

WTF. :retard:

Summer Snow
May 6th, 2006, 06:44 PM
:rolls:

What a pile of crap.. :lol: You are talking about Eastbourne Champion, Wimbledon finalist and multiple Wimbledon semifinalis, don't you? :lol:

The thing is that unlike it is for men, women's grass game is really slow, slower than hardcourt. Women don't dictate as much as men with their serves, meaning that most of points are decided in rallies.. And what are rallies on grass? It's shots that are hit mostly from very low position, meaning - the shots with less of pace and more of topspin - and that is not claycourt or hardcourt topspin - it doesn't relly kick up.. But that's something all three are good at - topspinning balls in. Add to that that all three have serves far better than average, move well, decent volleyers ( Mauresmo has probably the best transition game of all Tour ) , and that explains why all three of them are good grasscourters.. But, still, they are not as natural on grass as, say, Sharapova or Williamses who can take ball very early and flatten it - something that is very deadly on the surface.

:help: :o

Beny
May 6th, 2006, 08:53 PM
I don`t like to see Serena on clay..
Sveta or Justine are the best all court players...Amelie is behind them

mike/topgun
May 6th, 2006, 09:28 PM
I'd say in her top form - Serena Williams, then Martina Hingis and Amelie Mauresmo...neither JHH or Sveta had consisten succesess o gras and indoors;)
Anna Kournikova had an all court style which suited for every surface:p

SAEKeithSerena
May 6th, 2006, 09:43 PM
i would say serena, maria sharapova, or clijsters

Orion
May 6th, 2006, 10:11 PM
If we're talking about historically among current players, it'd probably go S. Williams, V. Williams, Henin, Hingis, and then everyone else. But if we're talking about at the moment, and the last few years, I'd say it's hard to go against Mauresmo, Henin, and Kuznetsova. They've all had early exits at some point (Wimbledon '04 for Kuznetsova, Wimbledon '05 and FO '04 for Henin, and FO...anytime, really for Mauresmo), but their game styles fit the surfaces very well. Henin doesn't hit with a lot of topspin, but she does the job on clay better than 99% of the tour. Kuznetsova and Mauresmo don't play very flat shots, but they take the ball so well and have a lot of versatility that they succeed on grass. I think what helps is that they all play the baseline so well, but are also the three best volleyers in the top 10. Mauresmo is a wall at the net, Henin doesn't love the net, but when she was first on the tour played almost a serve-and-volley style, and Kuznetsova has had so much doubles training that she can take the ball anywhere.

Check out this stat, for a second. Since Wimbledon '02, Mauresmo has been knocked out of a slam before the Quarterfinals a grand total of once. That's a 13-1 run of quarters. Talk about consistency!

Summer Snow
May 6th, 2006, 10:14 PM
If we're talking about historically among current players, it'd probably go S. Williams, V. Williams, Henin, Hingis, and then everyone else. But if we're talking about at the moment, and the last few years, I'd say it's hard to go against Mauresmo, Henin, and Kuznetsova. They've all had early exits at some point (Wimbledon '04 for Kuznetsova, Wimbledon '05 and FO '04 for Henin, and FO...anytime, really for Mauresmo), but their game styles fit the surfaces very well. Henin doesn't hit with a lot of topspin, but she does the job on clay better than 99% of the tour. Kuznetsova and Mauresmo don't play very flat shots, but they take the ball so well and have a lot of versatility that they succeed on grass. I think what helps is that they all play the baseline so well, but are also the three best volleyers in the top 10. Mauresmo is a wall at the net, Henin doesn't love the net, but when she was first on the tour played almost a serve-and-volley style, and Kuznetsova has had so much doubles training that she can take the ball anywhere.

Check out this stat, for a second. Since Wimbledon '02, Mauresmo has been knocked out of a slam before the Quarterfinals a grand total of once. That's a 13-1 run of quarters. Talk about consistency!
:worship: Add Graf ;)

Summer Snow
May 6th, 2006, 10:20 PM
i would say serena, maria sharapova, or clijsters
This isn't name your favorites :awww: :o I don't know how Sharapova got on that list :help: