PDA

View Full Version : Kirsten Flipkens - potential top player?

Uranus
May 5th, 2006, 08:19 PM
She's already 20 and has a career-high ranking of #145, dating back from 2004. The former Junior Champion was expected to be one of the next best players, but after a long injury last year, it's hard to keep moving up in the rankings. She's currently #151.

Do you think she will reach the top 10, 20?

blumaroo
May 5th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Never.
She's a cute girl but her game doesn't have enough weapons. With hard work she might reach top 50. But that's a big if.

tenn_ace
May 5th, 2006, 08:23 PM
She should be able to get to top the 30, maybe 20 if she fixes her head IMO. Saw her last year in the US Open qualies and she didn't look like she's mentally strong.

RR-87
May 5th, 2006, 08:24 PM
I hope so ;)
but first of all I'd like to see Kirsten in top 100 :)

jj74
May 5th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Well, we must be fair, she had a lot of injuries that cut her progression, she has a very good forehand, i think she has at least top 50 potential. When she played against Spain she did a good match against Anabel but she shows some diva acts very curious for a low ranking player

Xian
May 5th, 2006, 08:36 PM
top 50 not more and that not in the next two years

Shonami Slam
May 5th, 2006, 09:09 PM
she's simply mediocre - sometimes on the crazy women's tour that's enough for top30, sometimes it's not enough for top100.
as for her actual gameplay - she's boring and old, a pity considering she had 3 great belguim players in her active time. withing 3-4 years, she'll be all alone.

The Guilty
May 5th, 2006, 09:13 PM
I thought she was pretty good when I saw her against Bohmova in Estoril, she was playing great tennis, I would say definately top 30 potencial. But then, she just started to miss everything and completely gave the match away, so as already said, I think she needs to be stronger mentally, but she has a nice, complete game IMO.

LegionArgentina
May 5th, 2006, 09:13 PM
top 100 no more than taht

Carmen Mairena
May 5th, 2006, 09:24 PM
"Potential": not.
"Top player": not.
But she'll earn money on tennis! :speakles:

janko
May 5th, 2006, 10:04 PM
top 50

she won t be the first to reach that ranking with no physical hability, poor serve and classic boring baseline game

Viktymise
May 5th, 2006, 10:18 PM
She was promising when she was a junior but she has not been the same since losing to Shaughnessy 9-7 in the third in 2003 fed cup semi, but if she gets it all together she could be definatley top 50

Grohl
May 5th, 2006, 10:37 PM
I'd say top 100, maybe even 50 if she can stay injury-free

MisterMan
May 5th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Tamarine , who ?

Poova
May 5th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Top 100 if she's lucky.

controlfreak
May 6th, 2006, 01:28 AM
Definitely 100 if she can play a whole year without injury problems. Being optimistic, she can reach 50 but this may happen later in her career, once she becomes more of a journeywoman.

She reminds me a bit of Schiavone, in that she is an athletic and stylish player who has quite a mature game (in control of her technique) - but sometimes limited because the shots she possesses simply don't match up to what the opponent brings. And 2 years ago, I would never have predicted that Schiavone would rise this high.

LH2HBH
May 6th, 2006, 01:48 AM
She might break the top 100 or perhaps be a late bloomer like say, Alicia Molik. I don't see her hovering over the 50 mark myself.

DutchieGirl
May 6th, 2006, 02:06 AM
She should be able to get top 100, but she has been VERY unlucky with injuries!

DutchieGirl
May 6th, 2006, 02:07 AM
She might break the top 100 or perhaps be a late bloomer like say, Alicia Molik. I don't see her hovering over the 50 mark myself.

If she wasn't injured for most of a year she'd already be top 100! ;)

LH2HBH
May 6th, 2006, 02:08 AM
If she wasn't injured for most of a year she'd already be top 100! ;)

we don't know that

DutchieGirl
May 6th, 2006, 02:10 AM
we don't know that

well I was saying it in reference to your "late bloomer" comment. She's not really like Alicia in the sense of being a "late bloomer" coz ALicia wasn't injurd for like almost a year before she started to climb up the rankings.

And if Kirsten's highest ranking was 145 before her injury, I htink it's safe to say she was going the right way.

LH2HBH
May 6th, 2006, 02:11 AM
well I was saying it in reference to your "late bloomer" comment. She's not really like Alicia in the sense of being a "late bloomer" coz ALicia wasn't injurd for like almost a year before she started to climb up the rankings.

And if Kirsten's highest ranking was 145 before her injury, I htink it's safe to say she was going the right way.

OK that's fair, I just mean we don't really know.

DutchieGirl
May 6th, 2006, 02:14 AM
OK that's fair, I just mean we don't really know.

Of course not - but it was my opinion! ;)

And Kirsten's back up to 151 now, so she's going in the right direction again. :D Hopefully she can stay injury free now. ;)

cartmancop
May 6th, 2006, 02:44 AM
I only think maybe top 100 @ most. But u never know, she could be a late bloomer...

DutchieGirl
May 6th, 2006, 02:54 AM
:lol: Enough with the "late bloomer" stuff! ;)

Hachiko
May 6th, 2006, 03:01 AM
Yeah, top 100 at most. But I would like to be proven wrong!

iPatty
May 6th, 2006, 03:02 AM
I don't think she's a top player. But, I do think she will reach the Top 100 before her career is over.

georgekuo1017
May 6th, 2006, 03:20 AM
top 100 i think

UDACHi
May 6th, 2006, 04:37 AM
I think she'll be a late bloomer. ;)

DutchieGirl
May 6th, 2006, 04:40 AM
I think she'll be a late bloomer. ;)

:ras:

Jakeev
May 6th, 2006, 06:39 AM
Kirsten has a better game to me than say a Camille Pin or a Martina Muller, but what she doesn't have that those two have in abundance is the ability to just be consistent week end and out.

I have read a lot of different things in this thread such as she doesn't have a lot of power to that she is a late bloomer.

I'm not buying that.

I just think she probably needs to train a little harder and learn something about consistency on a tennis court. I have yet to see her with that one big win in a tennis tournament that really warrants us asking how good she will be.

DutchieGirl
May 6th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Kirsten has a better game to me than say a Camille Pin or a Martina Muller, but what she doesn't have that those two have in abundance is the ability to just be consistent week end and out.

I have read a lot of different things in this thread such as she doesn't have a lot of power to that she is a late bloomer.

I'm not buying that.

I just think she probably needs to train a little harder and learn something about consistency on a tennis court. I have yet to see her with that one big win in a tennis tournament that really warrants us asking how good she will be.

Did you also not read that she was injured for alot of last year - and thought she might have to retire? ;)

Jakeev
May 6th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Did you also not read that she was injured for alot of last year - and thought she might have to retire? ;)

Regardless of her injury.......she needs major improvements in her game.

Tichi
May 6th, 2006, 11:37 AM
I consider her as a top 100 player for the years to come.
She needs to make major improvements but she has the ability to do so.
She played that classic match against Shaughnessy and last year, she defeated Farina Elia in her retirement-match.
Consistency and mental strongness will make her game better.

Filip!
May 6th, 2006, 11:42 AM
She's not consistent and has no real great results as far. So, I don't think she'll be a topplayer, even not a player like Els Callens.

jj74
May 6th, 2006, 02:40 PM
I see a lot of top 50 players with less skills than her, she has a very good forehand, and all the injuries made her stop in her progression. If she stays healthy and focused she will be top 50 for sure