PDA

View Full Version : Kuznetsova could easily be the dominating player on clay

GoDominique
May 5th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Okay, on other surfaces too but especially on clay.

Her forehand is by far the best of all top-players on clay. With that heavy topspin she doesn't even have to take much risk and try to hit the lines - just send her opponent two or three times left and right and the point is hers.
The backhand is good enough to set up the point, same for her serve.

It's all about the focus and the nerves. She needs to cut down the dumb errors that she often makes.
If Í knew that she gets it together at RG then I would pick her as the top favourite.

vogus
May 5th, 2006, 06:52 PM
i'd say Sveta has a better clay game than Henin. Last year's R16 matchup was like the final. It was crazy that they had to play each other so early.

SvetaPleaseWin.
May 5th, 2006, 06:57 PM
i'd say Sveta has a better clay game than Henin. Last year's R16 matchup was like the final. It was crazy that they had to play each other so early.

:worship:

sveta is a more dangerous opponent than henin-but henin's shot selection is much better. kuzy seems to be sorting out her head this year though-she seems to be thinking clearly and not ALWAYS going for the crazy shot

i would love to see a sveta vs henin final at RG-with sveta winning of course :D

tenn_ace
May 5th, 2006, 07:00 PM
I'd kills for Sveta and Justine to play again at RG and Sveta winning that match :bounce:

What a confidence booster that would have been!

tennisrox
May 5th, 2006, 07:05 PM
I've been saying this for ages. She has got the game to dominate the tour. All the haters were writing her off last year, but her talent is so incredibly obvious I can't imagine why she is so underrated.

hablo
May 5th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Time will tell...

tenn_ace
May 5th, 2006, 07:12 PM
I've been saying this for ages. She has got the game to dominate the tour. All the haters were writing her off last year, but her talent is so incredibly obvious I can't imagine why she is so underrated.

exactly :worship: same here

PLP
May 5th, 2006, 07:21 PM
I think that there are too many good players for any one to be the dominate player. She could win titles this year on redcaly that's for sure. Remember that Venus was a bit tired today after yesterdays 3 hr gruelfest so I wouldn't read too much into Sveta's win today...I thought whoever ended up winning yesterday (Vee/Marti) would be at a huge disadvantage considering Sveta had a 1st round bye and won her 2nd round with ease. Tha being said she has a great chance at this title! She's playing really well! Go Kuzzie!

Justine Fan
May 5th, 2006, 07:32 PM

Did you see the Fed Cup match between JHH and Elena? I don't think you did, because if you did you certainly wouldn't be saying this :lol: :lol:

Zauber
May 5th, 2006, 07:40 PM
yes with her power and speed she can dominate anyone at anytime.
However hard court is a much better surface for her by far.
It is much harder to overpower someone on clay.
She will only have a 50:50 chance against the following players.
Mauresmo and Henin and Clijsters probably less thant 50:50
Schnyder, Hingis, Dementieva
She is one of 5,6 players with a very good chance but definitely not the favorite.

jj74
May 5th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Sveta has a beatiful game that suits very well on clay, she needs to focus her mind, and yes Sveta-Justine could be a great RG final, and we really need a good RG final after so many years of mediocre finals

sapir1434
May 5th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Yes, Sveta sure has the game for that :)

QUEENLINDSAY
May 5th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Sveta is definitely on top of the list for RG contender.

Reuchlin
May 5th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Did you see the Fed Cup match between JHH and Elena? I don't think you did, because if you did you certainly wouldn't be saying this :lol: :lol:
:worship:

shap_half
May 5th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Did you see JHH play against Schnyder and Sharapova last year and Dementieva this year on clay? If ya did, you would know that Justine's decent clay play is pretty much good enough to beat anyone.

UDACHi
May 5th, 2006, 08:04 PM
What makes you think this will happen so "easily"?

Shonami Slam
May 5th, 2006, 08:18 PM
she's been THE potential top player from russia the last half decade or so.
she and petrova are brainfarters, sadly for us tennis fans - because they SHOULD be the two dominating players for the years to come.
they have amazing skills on all surfaces (including indoors and carpets, green clay, rebound ace and EVRYTHING) and they are both additionaly amazing doubles players.
I've aching for an RG final between them.

Orion
May 5th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Okay, on other surfaces too but especially on clay.

Her forehand is by far the best of all top-players on clay. With that heavy topspin she doesn't even have to take much risk and try to hit the lines - just send her opponent two or three times left and right and the point is hers.
The backhand is good enough to set up the point, same for her serve.

It's all about the focus and the nerves. She needs to cut down the dumb errors that she often makes.
If Í knew that she gets it together at RG then I would pick her as the top favourite.

When she plays smart, patient tennis, it's really clear that she has absolutely no weakness. Her curse is impatience, and once she starts to make 2-3 unforced errors in a game, her head falls apart and she loses all her confidence. On clay, she seems to realize that she has to take her time, and it works really well. Her serve is probably among the ten best on tour, her forehand is brutal, and her backhand is solid enough to stay up under pressure.

I know I promote Kuznetsova a lot, but there's a reason, folks ;)

pcrtennis
May 5th, 2006, 11:43 PM
She's not good enough to dominate on any surface.

fammmmedspin
May 6th, 2006, 12:08 AM
Well she has had MP over the winner twice so perhaps itts 3rd time lucky? She has pulled herself back together quicker than Nastya, Justine looks like a hospital case much of the time, Serena is out. Not sure if she would beat a fit Kim in a positive mood but her chances look pretty good. Elena might be a problem but we might see that one rsolved this week.

goldenlox
May 6th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Sveta is still learning how to play.
She used to run around her backhand until she was outside the doubles alley, then hit a huge low % shot with her forehand, because she was so far off the court.

When Sveta gets all of her weapons under control, she'll be a very good player.

ey7662
May 6th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Well don`t forget Kim
Even you play not bad,you can`t defeat her "easily" :lol:

santhuruu
May 6th, 2006, 03:56 PM
She definetely could, her defense on clay is amazing like I could see it yesterday when she played against Williams and today against Chakvetadze, the only thing that sometimes bothers her are the nervs, if she is able to overcome them she can easily dominate on the claycourts, but she won't win every match with a lot of ease of course, because the Williams sisters , Henin-Hardenne and a lot of other players are also good on clay