PDA

View Full Version : Fed Cup:Belgium- USA in Ostend!

-Ph51-
May 5th, 2006, 04:44 PM
According to Flemish teletext it would be in the new Searena in Ostend on the Belgian coast and on hardcourt :)

baico
May 5th, 2006, 04:48 PM
yes

http://www.tennisinfo.be/toonbericht.php?nieuws_id=1345 :)

^bibi^
May 5th, 2006, 04:51 PM
so we should have both Kim & Justine :worship: :worship:

CrossCourt~Rally
May 5th, 2006, 04:56 PM
BEST surface for us! If L indsay and Venus plays singles and Lisa/ M ARTINA play doubles we will be good to go =)

-Ph51-
May 5th, 2006, 04:57 PM
so we should have both Kim & Justine :worship: :worship:
Probably :D

-Ph51-
May 5th, 2006, 05:03 PM
BEST surface for us! If L indsay and Venus plays singles and Lisa/ M ARTINA play doubles we will be good to go =)
Maybe... but the air on our coast is very tiring for people not used to live here. :lol: :tape:

arn
May 5th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Shame we will not have Serena in the Searena (I know, lame joke ;) )

~Carsten~
May 5th, 2006, 05:08 PM
:lol: ;)

well I hope the USA will come to Belgian with a good team. ;)

-Ph51-
May 5th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Yes, i was wondering who would be the first :angel:

arn
May 5th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Yes, i was wondering who would be the first :angel:
Somebody had to be ;)

xin_hui
May 5th, 2006, 05:13 PM
According to Flemish teletext it would be in the new Searena in Ostend on the Belgian coast and on hardcourt :)

is that the place where both kim and justine recently bought houses?

Aerien
May 5th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Hmmm, four former US Open champions fighting on hardcourt for Fed Cup. :)

-Ph51-
May 5th, 2006, 05:22 PM
is that the place where both kim and justine recently bought houses?
Houses i doubt...too expensive :lol:

xin_hui
May 5th, 2006, 05:23 PM

i know they bought houses, and it is close to ostend ;) . that's all i know. dont know anything about the geography/property prices in belgium ;)

Uranus
May 5th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Indoors again, even in July!?

Come-on-kim
May 5th, 2006, 07:18 PM
They both bought a house in Le Zoute... which is like 40 min - 1h per car from Ostend.

hablo
May 5th, 2006, 07:20 PM
good news :woohoo:

Hagar
May 5th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Hmmm, four former US Open champions fighting on hardcourt for Fed Cup. :)

WOW. That's awesome.

A Belgian squad with Kim in it on indoor hardcourt. The Americans are already trembling with fear. :scared:

tard~tard
May 5th, 2006, 08:31 PM
They both bought a house in Le Zoute... which is like 40 min - 1h per car from Ostend.

Knokke Le Zoute, c'est très chi-chi. It's THE place in Flanders
where people only take you serious as long as you talk French,
the accent and the content of the conversation doesn't even
matter, as long as the bla bla bla is in French. :lol:

There's even a terras there called "place m'as tu vu". LOL
I can imagine Kim and Justine sitting there in their 70ties,
chatting about the good old tennis days and hoping that at
least someone still recognizes them! -- while enjoying an ice-creme
from "la poste" of course, "la poste" ice-creme = the best!
Allez les dames!

Allez-H
May 5th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Wow I didn't even knew about the houses :eek: Apparantly Justine bought a 1 million euro worth apartment with view on the sea and is just a couple of meters from the beach. A couple of weeks later Kim bought a villa also in Zoute.

Now they must play this FC-round since they'll both be playing 'home' :p

TF Chipmunk
May 5th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Wow I didn't even knew about the houses :eek: Apparantly Justine bought a 1 million euro worth apartment with view on the sea and is just a couple of meters from the beach. A couple of weeks later Kim bought a villa also in Zoute.

Now they must play this FC-round since they'll both be playing 'home' :p
:eek: 1 million euro?! Are you going to tell me she flies First Class next? :scared:

Grohl
May 5th, 2006, 09:15 PM
damnit, there goes my free ticket

LoveFifteen
May 5th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Wow! I can't believe Belgium won't be choosing clay. Is it really so hard for Kim to play two matches on clay after Wimbledon? To be honest, I really don't know. Is it that hard on the body to change surfaces?

I doubt Davenport will play Fed Cup. Either she'll have another heart-breaking loss at Wimbledon or she'll finally win it again, and in either scenario, I don't see her wanting to play Fed Cup afterwards, esp. if Venus is the one to break her heart again on Centre Court.

Babolatpro880
May 6th, 2006, 12:10 AM
Hardcourt is most definitely not the best surface for the US, whoever said that. That would be grass X 867684651508984. Indoors Kim is at her best, grass she is definitely not.

Lindsayfan32
May 6th, 2006, 12:17 AM
Wow! I can't believe Belgium won't be choosing clay. Is it really so hard for Kim to play two matches on clay after Wimbledon? To be honest, I really don't know. Is it that hard on the body to change surfaces?

I doubt Davenport will play Fed Cup. Either she'll have another heart-breaking loss at Wimbledon or she'll finally win it again, and in either scenario, I don't see her wanting to play Fed Cup afterwards, esp. if Venus is the one to break her heart again on Centre Court.

It wasn't Venus breaking her heart as you put it was a minor detail namely a back injury that stoped her playing last year. But I do get your second point she generally runs deep at Wimbledon and won't want to play the week after. But playing the tie on a hardcourt might change her mind.

cartmancop
May 6th, 2006, 01:10 AM
Belgium is definitely helping the US out by choosing hard though... Lindsay & Venus will definitely be easier to convince now that the tie isn't on clay. I still think both have a slight advantage vs. JHH on hard. Kim vs iboth of them is pretty much a tossup on hard. Should be a great tie if both countries send their best!

DutchieGirl
May 6th, 2006, 01:13 AM
:D :cool:

Justine Fan
May 6th, 2006, 01:15 AM
Belgium is definitely helping the US out by choosing hard though... Lindsay & Venus will definitely be easier to convince now that the tie isn't on clay. I still think both have a slight advantage vs. JHH on hard. Kim vs iboth of them is pretty much a tossup on hard. Should be a great tie if both countries send their best!

JHH has beaten Lindsay many, many times on hardcourt, no? :confused:

Derek.
May 6th, 2006, 01:21 AM
I doubt Davenport will play Fed Cup. Either she'll have another heart-breaking loss at Wimbledon

:lol: :tape:

xin_hui
May 6th, 2006, 03:49 AM

why must it be kim who's the one who wants hardcourts? :rolleyes: maybe it actually makes sense to play hardcourt since it's hardcourt season then? or justine also wants hardcourt since she also has to prepare for the hardcourt season? :rolleyes:

carl maes asked both of them. kim doesnt make the decision herself

they should play on clay because the top americans arent that good on clay? first, are they even appearing

FaceyFacem
May 6th, 2006, 03:53 AM

it is... sadly, i got tendonitis a few years back from switching from clay over the summer to fast indoor hardcourt in the fall... almost cost me my whole sophomore season in high school...

esquímaux
May 6th, 2006, 06:31 AM
yay.

TheBoiledEgg
May 6th, 2006, 09:40 AM
:lol: playing on hard courts........
you pick clay courts, it might even stop US top players from not playing, such is the problem for the women :lol:

i cant see a similar match between the mens DC teams with Belgium at home
with Ollie Rochus saying "lets play on hard courts so i can get good preparation for the US Hard court summer".
Fed Cup should be 1000 times more important than some little tourn leading up to the US Open, not in Kim's eyes :lol:

GoDominique
May 6th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Fed Cup should be 1000 times more important than some little tourn leading up to the US Open, not in Kim's eyes :lol:
Well maybe it SHOULD be but it isn't yet to be honest. ;)

But it might be in a few years if they keep the current format. Then again, maybe it's different between men and women. ;)

TheBoiledEgg
May 6th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Well maybe it SHOULD be but it isn't yet to be honest. ;)

But it might be in a few years if they keep the current format. Then again, maybe it's different between men and women. ;)

exactly why women werent allowed into armies :lol:

crazillo
May 6th, 2006, 10:02 AM
I think they took that surface to ensure that Kim and Justine PLAY for their country... The US-preferences were secondary in this decision I think... And without JHH and KC BEL would have had no chance, even on clay. Ask Germany. :p

xin_hui
May 6th, 2006, 10:24 AM

kim doesnt control the decisions. it is a decision made after consulting BOTH kim and justine :rolleyes:

and you, someone with vast tennis knowledge, should know that fed cup (excepting the final) is always played on a surface that is the surface being played on the tour at that moment :rolleyes:

baico
May 6th, 2006, 10:28 AM

Kim has also her appartement in Blankenberge (two possibilities ;))

Come-on-kim
May 6th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Has she got an appartment in Blankenberge and a house in Le zoute? :eek: Some people are really rich lol Where is that appartment in Blankenberge? I love that city, it's where I've spent many weeks there when I was younger...

xin_hui
May 6th, 2006, 10:34 AM

ok, wait. how many houses does kim have? 3?

TheBoiledEgg
May 6th, 2006, 10:35 AM
and you, someone with vast tennis knowledge, should know that fed cup (excepting the final) is always played on a surface that is the surface being played on the tour at that moment :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: who on earth told you that ??
or maybe they werent from this planet :tape:

you mean how Russia chose clay when they played US in last yrs semis after Wi mbledon :devil:

xin_hui
May 6th, 2006, 10:38 AM
:lol: :lol: who on earth told you that ??
or maybe they werent from this planet :tape:

you mean how Russia chose clay when they played US in last yrs semis after Wi mbledon :devil:

ok, then i'm sorry. but in the majority of the cases, they are

that still doesnt mean the surface decision is made by kim :rolleyes:

Sara81
May 6th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Don't think Kim has an appartment in Blankenberge :confused:

baico
May 6th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Don't think Kim has an appartment in Blankenberge :confused:

yes she has ;)

gentenaire
May 6th, 2006, 12:49 PM
:lol: playing on hard courts........
you pick clay courts, it might even stop US top players from not playing, such is the problem for the women :lol:

i cant see a similar match between the mens DC teams with Belgium at home
with Ollie Rochus saying "lets play on hard courts so i can get good preparation for the US Hard court summer".

Exactly why I'm happy it's hard court. A tie Kim/Justine vs. Venus/Linds is far more interesting than one between relative unknowns. I hope the fact that it's hard court will encourage the American top players to play!
And you can't compare it to the men's game. With the men, the surface matters a lot more.

Lady
May 6th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Actually I think that Justine'd prefer hard courts at that period as well. :shrug:

terjw
May 6th, 2006, 03:26 PM

I normally like your posts but that is an unfair swipe at Kim and the Stanford tournament:

First - as gurl_tennis says Kim does not select the surface.

Second - dismissing Stanford as just a little tourn. Kim is defending champion. WTA does want champions to defend their titles even if there's no rule. Kim is not just going there as warm-up practice for the USO - she genuinely regards anywhere she plays as important to her.

Third - Kim at her age supports the Fed Cup more than nearly any other top player you care to name - and it looks like she'll be playing AND defending Stanford. Let's see compared to some other top players:

Kim has made 14 appearance (23 matches) - every year since her FC debut in 2000.
Serena has made a mere 3 appearances.
Venus has made a mere 6 appearances.
Justine has made 10 appearances since 1999. Started earlier, made fewer appearances than Kim.
Martina and Patty both were unavailable for Switzerland in the first round this year.
Martina hasn't played in the FC since 1998!
Lindsay has made more appearances than Kim. She jolly well ought to have - she made her FC debut in 1993. She's only actuall made 5 more appearances than Kim in her whole career.
Also - she hasn't appeared in the FC outside the USA since 1996!
Sharapova of course has no FC appearances.

So it really is a bit pathetic that you single out Kim for criticism. You could have just lamented that the FC wasn't 1000 times more important as the WTA tour matches and that would be fine. But no it seems you couldn't resist having a dig at Kim.

Mercury Rising
May 6th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Ofcourse Belgium with Justine and Kim is now chanceless against the US on hardcourt :rolleyes:
Let's just forget they both won the USO and lots of other hardcourt tournaments...

jochem
May 6th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Henin-Hardenne vs S.Williams
Clijsters vs Davenport

Clijsters vs S.Williams
Henin-Hardenne vs V.Williams

This would be the ultimate match up for FC 2006.... I know it will always remain a BIG dream :(

terjw
May 6th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Henin-Hardenne vs S.Williams
Clijsters vs Davenport

Clijsters vs S.Williams
Henin-Hardenne vs V.Williams

This would be the ultimate match up for FC 2006.... I know it will always remain a BIG dream :(

Yes I'm sure that's fantasy. Since Serena hasn't played this year since the AO - and she's only ever made 3 Fed Cup appearances in her whole life. And Davenport hasn't made herself available for the Fed Cup outside the USA for the last 10 years I don't expect her to have a sudden change of heart.

The most likely US player in your dream match-ups there would be Venus. But if Venus does play I hope she won't whine about being too tired when she gets back to the US like I remember she did last year when she lost in the final at Stanford.

Lady
May 6th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Ofcourse Belgium with Justine and Kim is now chanceless against the US on hardcourt :rolleyes:
Let's just forget they both won the USO and lots of other hardcourt tournaments...

Yep, and that Venus hasn't won one since 2002. ;) (outdoors hardcourt, that is, just in case)

~|Naomi|~
May 7th, 2006, 03:24 AM
Well at the end of the day Kim DID NOT select the surface. Carl Maes consulted BOTH kim and Justine as to what they would prefer to play on and then HE named the surface.

So if some bitter posters still upset at Belgium with Kim beating Russia want to think otherwise, fine but the facts are the facts.

Rocketta
May 7th, 2006, 03:53 AM
what the hell does Venus have to do with people thinking Kim's threat not to play is behind the choice of hardcourt? :rolleyes:

Defend Kim but why bring other players into it? :shrug:

santhuruu
May 7th, 2006, 07:30 AM
I think it will be very exciting, if Venus, Davenport, maybe Serena, Clijsters and Henin will participate in this Fed Cup clash. I think the chances to win are very very close!

In The Zone
May 7th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Where was it confirmed Justine would play in this tie? To be eligible for the Olympics, you simply have to play one Fed Cup tie a year. We're talking about Kim's choice and problem, but when did Justine confirm her role? A Fed Cup team lacking either will lose to the Americans.

Paneru
May 7th, 2006, 09:02 PM
But if Venus does play I hope she won't whine about being too tired when she gets back to the US like I remember she did last year when she lost in the final at Stanford.

Umm....Excuse me, but Venus played some 4 weeks straight
of tennis on three different surfaces. Besides, we all know
Venus is rarely healthy enough to play that much tennis
for that long. So, ofcourse she'd be tired.

From England(Grass), To Moscow(Clay),
to Stanford(Hardcourt).

Anyone would be tired. And everyone could
see that she was dragging and playing on fumes
by that final. So, it wasn't whining, it
was the plain and simple truth. :p

Anyways, I hope Lindsay does join Venus
to play in belgium, that would be great!

If healthy, I think both would play!

And we'd finally get to see Venus & Justine go
up against each other again after all these years.

Sara81
May 7th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Where was it confirmed Justine would play in this tie? To be eligible for the Olympics, you simply have to play one Fed Cup tie a year. We're talking about Kim's choice and problem, but when did Justine confirm her role? A Fed Cup team lacking either will lose to the Americans.

I don't know if she did confirm but I do think she will play however .. and not to be able to go to the Olympics either :rolleyes:
So maybe you should just keep on dreaming :angel:

-VSR-
May 7th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Umm....Excuse me, but Venus played some 4 weeks straight
of tennis on three different surfaces. Besides, we all know
Venus is rarely healthy enough to play that much tennis
for that long. So, ofcourse she'd be tired.

From England(Grass), To Moscow(Clay),
to Stanford(Hardcourt).

Anyone would be tired. And everyone could
see that she was dragging and playing on fumes
by that final. So, it wasn't whining, it
was the plain and simple truth. :p

Anyways, I hope Lindsay does join Venus
to play in belgium, that would be great!

If healthy, I think both would play!

And we'd finally get to see Venus & Justine go
up against each other again after all these years.

:worship: :worship: :worship:

shap_half
May 8th, 2006, 06:02 PM

I don't think Venus or Lindsay have a slight advantage over Justine at all. Venus is nowhere near playing her best, and Justine has beaten Lindsay the last four times they've played on HC. I think that everymatch will be a toss-up.

fleemke³
May 8th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Well I'm in the workingteam again and I'm looking forward to it! :cool:

-Ph51-
May 8th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Well I'm in the workingteam again and I'm looking forward to it! :cool:
Congrats Fleem :)