PDA

View Full Version : Doncaster British Tour event

bluepastures
May 21st, 2002, 10:19 PM
This is by far the worst draw in depth for a British tour event this year. It also had the least entrants, just 18 players

The second round draw is as follows:

All GB

Anna White (2.2) V A. Robinson (2.1) / Danielle King (2.2)
Rachel Porsz (2.1) / Nicola Trelease / S. Hassan V Katy Williams (2.1)
Rebecca Fong (1.5) V J. Curties/ Z. Bambridge/ J. Batty (2.2)
Lynsey Davison (1.5) V S. Batty (2.2)

The four seeds (Kelly Simkin: 697, Megan Emmett: 1094, Rebecca Dandeniya: 1044 and Carly Homewood: 1013) all get byes to the quarterfinals.

Jippo McScally
May 21st, 2002, 10:22 PM
LOL @the draw :D

Good luck to:
Rebecca Fong
Kelly Simkin
Rebecca Dandeniya

:wavey:

bluepastures
May 21st, 2002, 10:37 PM
Simkin's not on great form at the moment. I would say that Dandeniya has a great chance of getting a British tour win here.

Slightly surprised not to see Alice MacKenzie in the draw, since she's from Yorkshire. I guess school exams are probably the reason!!

bluepastures
May 22nd, 2002, 07:49 PM
Today's 1st round results were:

Danielle King BEAT A. Robinson 6-3, 6-2
Rachel Porsz BEAT Nicola Trelease 6-3, 6-1
J. Curtis BEAT J. Batty 7-5, 7-6

bluepastures
May 23rd, 2002, 06:50 PM
Today's results for the newly sponsored "Hastings Direct" (who?) tour were:

2nd round:

Anna White BEAT Danielle King 6-2, 4-6, 6-1
Rachel Porsz BEAT Katy Williams 6-3, 6-4
Rebecca Fong BEAT J. Curtis 6-7, 6-1, 6-3
S. Batty BEAT Lynsey Davison 6-1, 6-4

Quarter-finals (with 2 still to play):

Megan Emmett BEAT Rachel Porsz 6-4, 6-4
Carly Homewood BEAT S. Batty 6-1, 6-4

paul_masterton
May 23rd, 2002, 07:22 PM
well done Carly.

What on earth in Kelly doing here?! She should be in israel or Kiev or even Torino!!!!

Paul

bluepastures
May 23rd, 2002, 09:37 PM
I was surprised too Paul. I presume she won't make it in to the qualifiers for Surbiton, so now would seem like a good time to play some of the mainland Europe 10k events.

paul_masterton
May 24th, 2002, 07:50 PM
Women's Quarter finals
Rebecca Dandeniya (Surrey) bt Rebecca Fong (Yorkshire) 6-2 6-2
Kelly Simkin (Lancashire) bt Anna White (Dorset) 6-3 6-7 (5) 6-1 :)

Semi finals
Carly Homewood (Sussex) bt Dandeniya 7-5 6-3 :D :hearts: :kiss: :eek:
Simkin bt Megan Emmett (Berkshire) 6-2 6-3 :)

paul_masterton
May 24th, 2002, 07:55 PM
Bluepasture: totally agree about Kelly, she shoudl ahev been somewhere like Tel Aviv or even Poland. She should ahev commtted to Bosnia 25k next week, shed ahve made main draw i think.

Also, Carly was comfortanly insdei the qualies, but pulled out. One thig i find funy about Carly is that in EVERY commitment for 10k's outside UK she only enters as MDO - lol she wont go abroad unless she KNOWS shes gonan egt soem points and some money.

Paul :D

bluepastures
May 24th, 2002, 08:48 PM
For people like Carly Homewood, I'd say it should be a case of short term financial pain for long-term gain. The only way she's going to get better, is by playing more matches against a wider range of European players.
Even if she has to pay, for example, £400 for a flight out to, say, Portugal for a $10k event. Although, she might not gain enough (if any) prize money to cover her costs, British players need that kind of international experience, which IMHO a lot of them don't get enough of. It's really all too easy to save money, and just enter a British tour event.
The example of the RIGHT way to do things is Jane O'Donoghue. Before the Bournemouth $10k (in which she won both singles and doubles) she had played a number of $10ks around a variety of different European countries, usually making the quarters or semi-finals.

paul_masterton
May 25th, 2002, 10:02 AM
are u goign to watch? or is it too far from you?

Paul

pa - totally agree with you.

paul_masterton
May 25th, 2002, 05:00 PM
Kelly won 64 61 or 61 64. Either way a good win.

I hope Kelly can find teh form that saw her beat Anne Keothavong In Glasgow last year. That was an AMAZING result, and shows she has some potential.

Paul

bluepastures
May 26th, 2002, 09:36 AM
No I didn't go to watch it. It would only have been worth going up if I could combine it with watching some football at York. That's what I did with the British tour event final in Hull last December.
Doncaster's not exactly a place you go for a nice day out! It seemed a pretty depressed town when I stayed there for a week on business last year.