PDA

View Full Version : Venus And Martina: Proof Of Current State Of The Tour?

AsGoodAsNew
May 4th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Look at the excitement over this match, both here, in the press etc. And look at recent tournaments. Regardless of whether or not you like either of the players, is it not proof that the Tour without the likes of Martina and the Williams is simply second rate which much less interest?

This match had more interest than the Martina/Sharapova clashes!

It's the drama, history and emotion, and the sheer meaningfulness of it. It reminded me of the days when the Tour had the Williams, Seles, Capriati, Lindsay, Hingis, Mauresmo and the Belgians all in one tournament! And now we get Petrova and Schnyder!

And to those who say the Williams and Hingis mean nothing, the sheer excitement this match caused just goes to show.

vogus
May 4th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Look at the excitement over this match, both here, in the press etc. And look at recent tournaments. Regardless of whether or not you like either of the players, is it not proof that the Tour without the likes of Martina and the Williams is simply second rate which much less interest?

It's the drama, history and emotion, and the sheer meaningfulness of it. It reminded me of the days when the Tour had the Williams, Seles, Capriati, Lindsay, Hingis, Mauresmo and the Belgians all in one tournament! And now we get Petrova and Schnyder!

And to those who say the Williams and Hingis mean nothing, the sheer excitement this match caused just goes to show.

Enjoy your 15 minutes of fun while you've got it. I'd rather watch Petrova vs Schnyder any day over Hingus vs Venus.

Hingus and Venus aren't among the 10 best players in the world. Watch them for sentimental value if you like, but i prefer well-played, high-level tennis.

eugreene2
May 4th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Petrova & Snyder are a joke. They are just boring tennis. And Snyder is not even really good. Wasn't it just last year when Venus was playing like crap & Snyder had all them match points & still lost. It was laughable.

jamatthews
May 4th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Yep, it was a pretty awful match...like most these days. :sad:

TeaMMashA
May 4th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Probably the reason why most WTA matches havent got the value you say of Williams, Hingis Seles etc. Is possibly because most of the top players (Clijsters, JHH, WS) are never all fit together its very rare these days which is through no fault of the WTA and the other top players are only just breaking through the likes of Sharapova and Kuznetsova starting to come of age. I say give it some time and you dont always have to have top players to see an excellent game of tennis

Pureracket
May 4th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Enjoy your 15 minutes of fun while you've got it. I'd rather watch Petrova vs Schnyder any day over Hingus vs Venus. I think you might be in the minority here. History and passion go much further in womens tennis than it does on the mens side.

Statistically, Petrova vs Schnyder are higher ranked players, so the matchup may seem like a better one. However, once you add in the fact that Venus/Hingis would rather gnaw their own knuckles off before she let the other one win, then you'd understand why the Venus/Hingis match might be more compelling.

Also, they share 10 singles GS between the both of them.

WF4EVER
May 4th, 2006, 02:45 PM
I think you might be in the minority here. History and passion go much further in womens tennis than it does on the mens side.

Statistically, Petrova vs Schnyder are higher ranked players, so the matchup may seem like a better one. However, once you add in the fact that Venus/Hingis would rather gnaw their own knuckles off before she let the other one win, then you'd understand why the Venus/Hingis match might be more compelling.

Point well made. Vogus is just being an ass as usual.

I thought this match was over after Martina went ahead 3-0 in the second set but what this match proved to me was that

a) Neither player wanted to lose to the other
b) Venus, despite cramping in both legs was not going to give it to Martina; she would have to beath the skin off her to get this win
c) Venus can still fight her ass off if she's motivated enough

and

d) We're back to old times, like Venus said. These two still hate each other with a passion!

I'm happy for Venus; glad she won, glad she had the grit to pull it off. But I think this is the end of the line for her in Warsaw. She can't beat Sveta playing like she did today and with her cramping. SHe needs to get some rest and get in shape for the next tournament. But I really am glad to see her back, and I really applaud her effort today. Hingis is a great motivating factor for Venus; I hope they keep putting them on the same sid eof the draw, lol.

tennisrox
May 4th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Probably the reason why most WTA matches havent got the value you say of Williams, Hingis Seles etc. Is possibly because most of the top players (Clijsters, JHH, WS) are never all fit together its very rare these days which is through no fault of the WTA and the other top players are only just breaking through the likes of Sharapova and Kuznetsova starting to come of age. I say give it some time and you dont always have to have top players to see an excellent game of tennis

Thats a good point. There have been no established rivalries in recent times, because most of the top players are always injured, so they don't often play the same tournaments. Also the young players with the exception of sharapova, are yet to really establish themselves.
The other thing is that in order to have a real rivalry with history , you need dominant players. Hingis, and the williams sisters did dominate for a period, but right now none of the players are dominating for any length of time, so there is no-one playing catchup. We'll have to see if things continue this way. I think we'll have rivalries in time. The young players just need time to establish themselves. And the current top players need to stay fit!

BrianII
May 4th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Its really about the pedigree of the players playing the match....we're talking about 2 multiple grandslam and tons of titles winners, from the same era , stands to reason that to get those GSes and titles they must have clashed dramatically countless times ,
schynder and petrove could play the perfect tennis match with every body aware of it and yet their next match would still not have close to the anticipation of a Martina/venus match regardless of the quality of their last encounter. Neither petrova or Scyhnder provide that kind of pedigree separetly and together the provide nothing at all...... just 2 top players playing a match

vogus
May 4th, 2006, 02:51 PM
I think you might be in the minority here. History and passion go much further in womens tennis than it does on the mens side.

well, ok, but they will both have to win a lot more to make things really interesting. I'm sincerely happy for you guys who have been missing their rivalry and all. I just like Petrova and Schnyder better as players, and maybe i'm in the minority on that, but that doesn't bother me.

SAEKeithSerena
May 4th, 2006, 02:54 PM

loves it, AMEN:cool:

Infiniti2001
May 4th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Vogus, you really need to lose those bitter pills :shrug:

Morrissey
May 4th, 2006, 02:56 PM
No one really cares about Petrova and Schnyder. The majority of the regular public know Martina and Venus. They don't know Petrova or Schnyder. And its the
regular public that will go to tennis matches to see the REAL STARS not the pretenders and not the nobodies. The REAL STARS get the TV ratings, get the bonus cash, get the endorsements. The Warsaw promoters paid some serious cash to get Hingis and Venus to play their event. They are the biggest STARS at this event. Venus and Hingis have a long history and a dynamic history on the WTA tour. Venus and Martina really were the leaders of the new generation to change the WTA tour and bring it to a younger audience. After the boring Graf domination years Venus and Hingis gave tennis life and excitment. And they still do today. The WTA desperately needs Venus and Hingis and Serena.

SAEKeithSerena
May 4th, 2006, 02:56 PM
[QUOTE=vogus]Enjoy your 15 minutes of fun while you've got it. I'd rather watch Petrova vs Schnyder any day over Hingus vs Venus.

QUOTE]

are you serious:help: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Infiniti2001
May 4th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Its really about the pedigree of the players playing the match....we're talking about 2 multiple grandslam and tons of titles winners, from the same era , stands to reason that to get those GSes and titles they must have clashed dramatically countless times ,
schynder and petrove could play the perfect tennis match with every body aware of it and yet their next match would still not have close to the anticipation of a Martina/venus match regardless of the quality of their last encounter. Neither petrova or Scyhnder provide that kind of pedigree separetly and together the provide nothing at all...... just 2 top players playing a match

Word :yeah:

Kworb
May 4th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Yes, it proved that most women's tennis matches these days are painful to watch. When almost every point ends in an error, something is wrong

vogus
May 4th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Vogus, you really need to lose those bitter pills :shrug:

read my post just above, bro. You're a huge Venus fan and i'm glad for you because you haven't had anything to cheer about in nine months. It was a big win today.

smiler
May 4th, 2006, 03:00 PM
BOOOOOO..... :ras:

vogus
May 4th, 2006, 03:04 PM
No one really cares about Petrova and Schnyder. The majority of the regular public know Martina and Venus. They don't know Petrova or Schnyder. And its the
regular public that will go to tennis matches to see the REAL STARS not the pretenders and not the nobodies. The REAL STARS get the TV ratings, get the bonus cash, get the endorsements. The Warsaw promoters paid some serious cash to get Hingis and Venus to play their event. They are the biggest STARS at this event. Venus and Hingis have a long history and a dynamic history on the WTA tour. Venus and Martina really were the leaders of the new generation to change the WTA tour and bring it to a younger audience. After the boring Graf domination years Venus and Hingis gave tennis life and excitment. And they still do today. The WTA desperately needs Venus and Hingis and Serena.

Bad, mean-spirited post.

The REAL STARS, as you put it, are the players who win. It doesn't matter if it's Venus and Hingis and Kournikova, or Kuznetsova and Petrova and Schnyder. Tennis is a merit-based sport, and in the end, that is the reason we love it.

GoDominique
May 4th, 2006, 03:05 PM
People are acting as if this was a match of Federer vs. Nadal calibre.

In reality, it featured a has-been (Hingis) and a struggling player who have won one Grand Slam combined in the past 5 years.

winone23
May 4th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Both players are making comebacks so errors are expected, especially for Venus this is only her 3rd match of the year so some rust is expected.

Infiniti2001
May 4th, 2006, 03:17 PM
read my post just above, bro.

sis :p :wavey:

tennisjay
May 4th, 2006, 03:21 PM

I agree completely. I only wish Anna, Serena, Jennifer, and Monica would come back you could never go wrong with those players.

tennisjay
May 4th, 2006, 03:25 PM

Thatís true, tennis really became popular when the 4 divas of tennis start playing (Serena, Venus, Hingis, and Anna), all the other girls on tour right know with the exception of Kim, Lindsay, Justine, and Momo really donít have what it takes to even be mention in the same breath as the 4 divas.

vogus
May 4th, 2006, 03:26 PM
sis :p :wavey:

bitch :p :wavey:

morningglory
May 4th, 2006, 03:27 PM
well the match was valued for its drama and excitement over the actual quality of tennis, but anyway a grudge match is always fun! ;)

Infiniti2001
May 4th, 2006, 03:27 PM
bitch :p :wavey:

And I wear it well :p

vogus
May 4th, 2006, 03:34 PM
And I wear it well :p

good, because i meant it as a compliment :p ;)

DelMonte
May 4th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Enjoy your 15 minutes of fun while you've got it. I'd rather watch Petrova vs Schnyder any day over Hingus vs Venus.

Hingus and Venus aren't among the 10 best players in the world. Watch them for sentimental value if you like, but i prefer well-played, high-level tennis.

But you are never "mean-spirited", right?

Paneru
May 4th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Yes, it proved that most women's tennis matches these days are painful to watch. When almost every point ends in an error, something is wrong

Don't even try and lay that on Venus or martina!

Get some damn perspective here.

Venus just came back after a 3 month layoff
and has always been known to be a somewhat slow
starter and rusty coming out of the gates.

Martina just returned to the tour full time
after like what 4 odd years playing only her
2nd match on clay which is far from her best surface.

The quality could've been better but
what do you really expect given the circumstances!

Get a grip people!

spencercarlos
May 4th, 2006, 03:58 PM

:lol:

Paneru
May 4th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Not to mention the
wind factor as well.

Aquanetta
May 4th, 2006, 04:02 PM

Where you're being unfair to the lesser known players is that they are embroiled in these equally suspenseful 3 set dogfights on a regular basis that get no attention because they aren't marquee names. Today's sloppy match was only interesting because of Venus and Hingis.

Aquanetta
May 4th, 2006, 04:07 PM

Petrova and Schnyder can stink up (and have) the court with the best of them.

Libertango
May 4th, 2006, 04:10 PM
This is the most excited I've got about a match all year....so maybe it proves your point.;)

Having said that, it's not fair to diss players such as Schnyder and Petrova. They don't carry the same excitement as Martina, Venus, Maria etc. but they are still good quality players, who deserve their successes, and I enjoy watching them play. Having players such as this AS WELL AS Martina, Maria and the Williams' should makes the tour even more interesting.

Kworb
May 4th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Don't even try and lay that on Venus or martina!

Get some damn perspective here.

Venus just came back after a 3 month layoff
and has always been known to be a somewhat slow
starter and rusty coming out of the gates.

Martina just returned to the tour full time
after like what 4 odd years playing only her
2nd match on clay which is far from her best surface.

The quality could've been better but
what do you really expect given the circumstances!

Get a grip people!
Not just them, it's everyone, all the time. Only unforced errors and injuries. Sickening :o

darrinbaker00
May 4th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Not just them, it's everyone, all the time. Only unforced errors and injuries. Sickening :o
Would I be correct in assuming that someone is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to watch?

Volcana
May 4th, 2006, 05:14 PM
i prefer well-played, high-level tennis.Like, say... the 2005 Wimbledon final?:)

Venus Williams and Martina Hingis are stars, and two of the most accomplished players of their generation. Nadia Petrova and Patty Schnyder are skilled, but neither has even managed a GS final.

AsGoodAsNew
May 4th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Where you're being unfair to the lesser known players is that they are embroiled in these equally suspenseful 3 set dogfights on a regular basis that get no attention because they aren't marquee names. Today's sloppy match was only interesting because of Venus and Hingis.
I agree totally with the last sentence. People want to see Venus and her like, no matter how they play. It is fascinating to me that some players have the X factor, and others no matter how good they are just don't capture the public's imagination.

thomas.chung
May 4th, 2006, 05:50 PM

As I have mentioned in the other post, if you define a high-level tennis as big hitting, big serving, and beautiful statistic, then it is your business. Because for me (and probably a lot of people), it is seeing them fight their guts out that matters. Golovin and Sharapova match was high quality (though ended a bit sad), but it was high quality because both had fought hard. Since when did you see a classic final that is like what you said "well-played, high-level"? A very good example is the Wimbledon 2005 finals, it wasn't the big hitting that counts, nor was it the statistics nor the fastest serves nor the lowest UFE that counts. It is the heart that does. When you watch a match and as a tennis player, when you are in such a desparate situation, you will have to find your plan B or loose. You should know as a tennis player when someone is playing half-hearted or pouring in all their efforts and heart into a match.

Furthermore, they are only 25, they still have a LONG way to go my friend. Lindsay made it to the Wimbledon 2005 final at near age 30, I don't see any reason why Venus and Martina won't. You talk as if like they are history already. Mary Pierce came back last year and had a great run, I don't see why these two ladys won't.

eugreene2
May 4th, 2006, 05:54 PM
I can't stop laughing from all the promotion of Petrova & Snyder. lol I've been following tennis since the days of Graf (not old enough for the Evert/Navrat classics) so it's not about being a fan of certain players. Snyder & petrova just dont cut it when you've seen the likes of Graf, Seles, Sabatina, Sanchez, Novotna, Williams, Hingis, Capriati, Davey, Sharapova, Henin, Clijsters (those girls bring more than just tennis). There's an aura (an IT factor) about them that make their matches special.

AND I don't think they'll ever have it ... we would have seen it by now!!!

thomas.chung
May 4th, 2006, 05:57 PM
I can't stop laughing from all the promotion of Petrova & Snyder. lol I've been following tennis since the days of Graf (not old enough for the Evert/Navrat classics) so it's not about being a fan of certain players. Snyder & petrova just dont cut it when you've seen the likes of Graf, Seles, Sabatina, Sanchez, Novotna, Williams, Hingis, Capriati, Davey, Sharapova, Henin, Clijsters (those girls bring more than just tennis). There's an aura (an IT factor) about them that make their matches special.

AND I don't think they'll ever have it ... we would have seen it by now!!!

Agree! There is just something about them, their tennis, their style, their (on/off court) personality that makes them special.

davidmario
May 4th, 2006, 06:14 PM
To me, hitting 53 clean winners on clay is absolutely high-class no matter how many unforced errors came up with it.

eugreene2
May 4th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Yea, David, you do have a point. 53 winners on clay is not an easy thing to do and it's not like Hingis is slow.

vogus
May 4th, 2006, 06:29 PM
To me, hitting 53 clean winners on clay is absolutely high-class no matter how many unforced errors came up with it.

they were padding the stats. 53 winners and 70 UEs is for sure inflated on both ends. There's no objective standard in stat-keeping to keep things in line.

Knizzle
May 4th, 2006, 06:33 PM
they were padding the stats. 53 winners and 70 UEs is for sure inflated on both ends. There's no objective standard in stat-keeping to keep things in line.

There's no way you can pad winners that much, UFE's for sure, but a clean and/or service winner is a pretty easy call.

davidmario
May 4th, 2006, 07:18 PM
I make my own stats. Venus hit about 50 clean winners. but I only counted 50UEs. Some of the 80 were definetly won by hingis due to forcing.

Joana
May 4th, 2006, 07:30 PM
God help us all if their future matches turn out to be like this one. But they actually won't because once/if Venus gets back to her old self she'll win them easily.

perseus2006
May 4th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Wow! I cannot believe some of the comments here!

It was a lousy match played in lousy weather by unfit players, one of which needed multiple times out for midmatch massages for the same medical issue and the other who couldn't win at the end when she was playing against herself! I don't think Pironkova (sp?) is worried.

Knizzle
May 4th, 2006, 07:38 PM

It was a lousy match played in lousy weather by unfit players, one of which needed multiple times out for midmatch massages for the same medical issue and the other who couldn't win at the end when she was playing against herself! I don't think Pironkova (sp?) is worried.

All Pironkova has to worry about is catching her flight. :)

QUEENLINDSAY
May 4th, 2006, 07:44 PM
State of the tour is really low and YES, Venus vs Hingis is what WTA needs. but not only that, Sharapova-Hingis matches were also a sell out contrary to what the original poster says.

I would say these players are still the players which can get the WTA to its peak.

Group 1: WTA would be lost without all of them:
Lindsay
Hingis
Serena
Venus
Clijsters
Henin
Sharapova
Ana Kournikova

Group 2:They can add excitement but really not a loss.
Capriati
Mauresmo
Myskina
Dementieva
Kutsnetzova

AND THE REST!!!!!

mike/topgun
May 4th, 2006, 07:46 PM
It was a match to watch for those who think Nadia is a champ
Players who have been dominating on tour recently don't have enough skills to produce a great, tight match - f.e. Schaivone Vs Petrova or Petrova Vs Schnyder weren't both together as exciting as this one unique matchup with all the drama and beutiful rallies, even though both Marti and Venus aren't in their top form...and I won't be surprised if Venus wins J&S again - of course if she recovers to play Kuzzy:p

Kworb
May 4th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Would I be correct in assuming that someone is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to watch?
It's an addiction, I can't help but watch even when I'm not entertained :sad:

No Name Face
May 4th, 2006, 10:30 PM
State of the tour is really low and YES, Venus vs Hingis is what WTA needs. but not only that, Sharapova-Hingis matches were also a sell out contrary to what the original poster says.

I would say these players are still the players which can get the WTA to its peak.

Group 1: WTA would be lost without all of them:
Lindsay
Hingis
Serena
Venus
Clijsters
Henin
Sharapova
Ana Kournikova

Group 2:They can add excitement but really not a loss.
Capriati
Mauresmo
Myskina
Dementieva
Kutsnetzova

AND THE REST!!!!!

you can add Davenport and Clijsters to Group 2 :o

DemWilliamsGulls
May 5th, 2006, 12:11 AM

Petrova and Schnyder???? R U SERIOUS thats about as exciting as if they had the "First Annual Nursing Home Olympics".....

le bon vivant
May 5th, 2006, 12:15 AM
you can add Davenport and Clijsters to Group 2 :o

and Enna too!

vwfan
May 5th, 2006, 01:49 AM
Watch them for sentimental value if you like, but i prefer well-played, high-level tennis.Petrova and Schnyder--high quality tennis.
Are you serious?! LMAO!

vwfan
May 5th, 2006, 01:56 AM
People are acting as if this was a match of Federer vs. Nadal calibre.

In reality, it featured a has-been (Hingis) and a struggling player who have won one Grand Slam combined in the past 5 years.and that is why vogus thinks petrova (no slam winner, barely any titles) vs. patty (no slam winner, barely any titles) matchup is so much more worthy of excitement. :lol:

vwfan
May 5th, 2006, 02:01 AM

It was a lousy match played in lousy weather by unfit players, one of which needed multiple times out for midmatch massages for the same medical issue and the other who couldn't win at the end when she was playing against herself! I don't think Pironkova (sp?) is worried.Pironkova isn't even in the tournament anymore and she's so significant in any conversation that you aren't even sure how to spell her name. :lol: get real! i don't understand folks who come into threads to tell people what they should and should not be excited about. if people enjoyed this match and you didn't, that's fine, but no need to rain on everyone's parade. venus has made people like you eat your words many times.

Greenout
May 5th, 2006, 02:06 AM
To me it has nothing to do with the state of the current tour. The top 10 is there by damn hard work.

What all this excitement about Venus playing Martina is about how much of their fans still love them. It's not about the state of tennis, but how strong their long time supporters have been, and still are.

I think it's great for women's tennis. People can still get as thrilled seeing Martina and Venus play each other as they were back in 1997 or 1998.

Name some current ATP player from 1997 or 1998 that generates this sort of interest, that is on tour right now?