PDA

View Full Version : Was the match Venus vs. Hingis today in Warsaw the thing that the WTA TOUR needs?

santhuruu
May 4th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Just wondering, most people in my street says that there aren't a lot of exciting matches or rivalries anymore like in the beginning of the 21st century.

I really think this match boosted up the WTATOUR.

Have your say

SM
May 4th, 2006, 02:04 PM
martina v venus matches are always great. the quality may not always be great but the fact they are usually close, hard fought and full of drama makes it interesting. its a good contrast of styles too :)

xtooL
May 4th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Id probably think so if I felt they both played their best..

SM - from what interview is your signature .. Roger about Martina..

GoDominique
May 4th, 2006, 02:10 PM
No.

I'm pretty sure this was a one-off. At least we won't be seeing this match-up again in the latter stages of the big tournaments, because it's unlikely both these players will make it there at the same time ever again.

kaki
May 4th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Definitely yes

tenn_ace
May 4th, 2006, 02:12 PM
No.

I'm pretty sure this was a one-off. At least we won't be seeing this match-up again in the latter stages of the big tournaments, because it's unlikely both these players will make it there at the same time ever again.

so, what matches do YOU think WTA TOUR needs? :p

GoDominique
May 4th, 2006, 02:15 PM
so, what matches do YOU think WTA TOUR needs? :p
Matches like this one, but more often and also from the current TOP players who are way too inconsistent and don't play the same events often enough.

MrSerenaWilliams
May 4th, 2006, 02:16 PM
I just think the WTA needs everyone back and healthy. Women's tennis was at the height of popularity from 2001-2004. Serena and Venus were making it to slams finals (if not winning) EVERY YEAR, Capriati was in the mix, Davenport was hanging around, the Belgians were there, and the Russians came through. Not to mention that during the first part of that stretch, Hingis was around too.

Tennis right now is stagnant, the #1 isn't very affable and her GS credentials and questionable. There are too many good players who are injured, and there aren't and exciting rivalires other than Maria vs. the Bank. And maybe it's because there was that weird 1 week break after fed cup, but it just doesnt seem that the top players are playing frequently enough.

THIS MATCH WAS EXACTLY WHAT TENNIS NEEDS!
-now all we need are for all of the great players to come back!

MLF
May 4th, 2006, 02:46 PM
The tour needs players to fill seats in stadiums early in the week and both these ladies pull in the fans.

Viktymise
May 4th, 2006, 02:47 PM
The match was huge for tennin cause it was a little boring this year apart for some Lena D dramatics, hope that these kinda matches continue at slams also, we need more slams like Wimbledon 05

Kworb
May 4th, 2006, 02:59 PM
No, the WTA tour needs better quality matches, not matches of old champions who only seem half interested in the tournament

rrfnpump
May 4th, 2006, 03:01 PM
I dont think it was a great match

Klurt
May 4th, 2006, 03:12 PM
I dont think it was a great match
I agree, it wasn't a great match. Stellar names on the court, but they didn't perform that well.

Tennisaddict
May 4th, 2006, 03:39 PM
A few are harping on the quality of the match, and while that is an important factor to make a match great, you can't deny that Venus/Hingis matchups bring drama, tension and entertainment to a degree no other clean tennismatch this year has brought!

This match has been anticipated so much, it was all commentators on Eurosport could talk about, you could feel this energizing buzz. I'm not saying that the current top players are not interesting, but it's just not the same. I really miss the Capriati/Serena Sharapova/Serena Henin/Serena Venus/Davenport Venus/Clijsters Venus/Hingis. Oh and Serena/Kuznetsova Serena/Mauresmo are great matchups as well.

So many more matches like the one today between Venus and Hingis is definitely what the Wta tour needs, and they know it! And people can try to downgrade Venus and Hingis as has beens and whatnot, but the current top players especially Schnyder and Petrova are taking advantage of the weakened field. Only Henin Clijsters Kuznetsova, Sharapova, Davenport are real top players. The rest in the top ten is a joke, and just keeping the seats warm until the Williams sisters and Hingis get back to where they belong.

GoDominique
May 4th, 2006, 03:41 PM
The rest in the top ten is a joke, and just keeping the seats warm until the Williams sisters and Hingis get back to where they belong.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but this makes Williamses and Hingis even bigger jokes.

tennisjay
May 4th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Just wondering, most people in my street says that there aren't a lot of exciting matches or rivalries anymore like in the beginning of the 21st century.

I really think this match boosted up the WTATOUR.

Have your say

H*ll yeah, this is what Iíve been waiting for a long time. When was the last time you seen a score like that from two great players.

Tennisaddict
May 4th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble, but this makes Williamses and Hingis even bigger jokes.

Don't worry you are not bursting any bubble. You can try all you want to downgrade the W sisters and Hingis, but the fact remains that they have the most GS titles among active players and they still pose a threat to add to their impressive tally. It must be hard to wish them bad luck and see them come back strong everytime :tape: Get used to it, they're here to stay.

Aquanetta
May 4th, 2006, 04:11 PM
The tour definitely needs their (renewed) rivalry but I don;'t think it's the panacea for the WTA's lack of popularity. Their marquee names help with press coverage but there are other dynamics (marketing!) that need more immediate attention.

Dawn Marie
May 4th, 2006, 05:11 PM
THE WTA TOUR IS ALWAYS IN NEED and this helps. :-)

SADLY the USA didnt Televise this. Which is why the WTA IS ALWAYS IN NEED.

Mother_Marjorie
May 4th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Women's tennis was at the height of popularity from 2001-2004.

Sorry, but I couldn't let this one pass. Women's tennis was at its height in popularity in the '70's and early '80's.

tenn_ace
May 4th, 2006, 05:19 PM
THE WTA TOUR IS ALWAYS IN NEED and this helps. :-)

SADLY the USA didnt Televise this. Which is why the WTA IS ALWAYS IN NEED.

yeah, totally pathetic... ESPN could capitalize on it so much. Idiots. :rolleyes:

thomas.chung
May 4th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Let's twist it around this way, people say this match is not high quality. But it shows exactly that with enough guts, fighting spirit and dedication, you can still win. Venus has said that you can't expect to win a match with 70-something ufe after her suprise AO2006 lost, but yet she showed that it is possible, you just have to fight through it. Sure, statistics-wise this match is ugly, but it is these kind of match that sometimes get interesting because the two sides somehow will have to find ways to dig out of this hole. I recall someone saying both had a -29 winners-ufe differentials, but it shows just how each player executed and held their ground. While Venus makes a lot of winner by betting on big forehands she also hits a lot of UFEs; Martina was trying to stay consistent and rely on her retrieving capability do the job, sure Martina missed too, but her strategy worked, at least she stayed with Venus statistically. Ultimately, it is about who is the better fighter in the office.

So is this match what wta needed? yes!
Why?
I don't want matches that just by statistics shows which player had won, I don't want statistical matches. I want something more "human", which means people fighting through tough situations. If it were someone say Patrova making these kind of mistakes today, either Venus and Martina will kill her, simply because these players don't have the mentality of true champions. And people have always asked what separates a GS winner/past winner from your cookie-cutter top 10? It is mentality, and this personality and these kind of matches should be what the wta be looking for in order to revive this circuit.

Nickk
May 4th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Why do so many posters say the match was bad?

Venus hit tons of winners, not only errors. IMO, it was a great match with good quality tennis. :confused:

Il Primo!
May 4th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Why do so many posters say the match was bad?

Venus hit tons of winners, not only errors. IMO, it was a great match with good quality tennis. :confused:
I only regret the fact thatVenus got cramps when Vshe started playing really great :sad: But it was a good match,I agree.

FrenchY52
May 4th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Yes maybe it was a good match but NOT the match wtatour needs .

fammmmedspin
May 4th, 2006, 05:53 PM
For a few moments yes. Basically though most of the match was dire and you wouldn't have many fans paying for seeing that. Venus had a few minutes of brilliance. Martina had a few. Martina fell apart mentally, missed, played defensively and generally wasn't there when she was on the verge of beating Venus quite convincingly.It turned on missed shots and a couple of net cords before Venus got better and martina froze on her serve, Venus gamely struggled on on no legs but Martina was simply awful by that stage.

Things could improve with fewer nerves. It might be that Venus physically can't cope though and Martina does seem to have a problem with her nerves putting matches away. If they get over that the future looks good - if not they are in trouble.

thomas.chung
May 4th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Then what match does the tour need? I mean if you can't think of any, then smack your head and tell yourself to wake up because you can't think of a better match that the tour needs than this.