PDA

View Full Version : Just goes to show how good Venus is...

henryj2001
May 4th, 2006, 01:57 PM
... No one can take that away from Venus. And it goes to show that no matter how long Venus or Serena have out of the game, they will always come back at whatever point as still 2 of the best players in the world...

Viktymise
May 4th, 2006, 03:03 PM
What a fighter she is, she never gives up really i praise her for it

WF4EVER
May 4th, 2006, 03:27 PM
What are you talking about? It was probably the sloppiest match of Venus' career! SHe didn't win because she's good. SHe won because she refused to give up even though she was cramping and her opponent was leading.

If anything this match says more about her determination above anything else. To her credit she never folded and she never retired becuase she was dtermined to fight to the end becuase she didn't want to lose to Hingis.

There is nothing 'good' about how Venus played today; she was actually terrible;just that Hingis was worse at the wrong time.

Venus, IMO, is nowhere near good at the moment. SHe has alot of work to do but if she continues to be determined she'll get to where she needs to be to make a real impact.

henryj2001
May 4th, 2006, 03:38 PM
All I need to say to that reply is: "Only the greatest players WIN when they are not able to play their best" (Not only was Venus not playing her best - she was also suffering from pretty bad cramps...)

Only her 4rd match of the year... I know that a lot of players on the tour can only wish they had the qualities Venus & Serena have - natural determination, confidance, competitiveness, talent a huge heart and huge desire to win in everything...

eugreene2
May 4th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Henri - that's a great response. Too many people only look at UFEs to determine whether a player is playing great. Now, that's very important but it's more than that. The thing that has attracted so many people to Venus & Serena is that even when they have played horrible, they have still pulled out so so many matches.

I hate UFEs but I love BIG PLAY on BIG POINTS more!

Williams Rulez
May 4th, 2006, 03:54 PM
shows tt vee has guts.

well done girl! :)

Aquanetta
May 4th, 2006, 03:58 PM
... No one can take that away from Venus. And it goes to show that no matter how long Venus or Serena have out of the game, they will always come back at whatever point as still 2 of the best players in the world...

If she lost today would you even be saying this? Venus reminded us today that she can come from behind and that makes me (and other Venus fans) very happy. She's still a work-in-progress in terms of coming back so I will savor the big win against her rival and leave it at that.

Paneru
May 4th, 2006, 04:02 PM
If she lost today would you even be saying this? Venus reminded us today that she can come from behind and that makes me (and other Venus fans) very happy. She's still a work-in-progress in terms of coming back so I will savor the big win against her rival and leave it at that.

I would!

The fact that she was down a set and 3-0
to level it at one set apeice said it all for me.

Win or lose, she was gonna fight it out.

I hear all these people going on and on being bitter
and stupid but given all the circumstances
(wind, both coming back, injury, ect...) both can
take positives away and learn from the negatives.

It's called perspective and many around here would do
to get a healthy dose of it.

tfannis
May 4th, 2006, 04:07 PM
It was a good win for Venus, but don't jump too quick to conclusions ;) She beat Martina, not the whole WTA :o I haven't seen the sisters 'come back at whatever point as the two best players in the world' lately :shrug:

henryj2001
May 4th, 2006, 04:07 PM
True - they are always going to play their game WIN or LOSE and what you will come to realise nowadays is that Venus & Serena will not pull out of a match if they have started it - unless they are physically unable to move. This is a quality that they have grown into during all the charity work they have been taking part in (they appreciate a lot more now and see things differently...)

I dont think a lot of people actually realise how good Venus & Serena really are... But its their loss...

henryj2001
May 4th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Yep I would still be saying this if Venus had lost - but I would change a few thing (I would Congratulate Hingis and Commend Venus for carrying on with bad cramps and for fighting)

Randy John Andy
May 4th, 2006, 04:33 PM
I agree with you guys. I think Venus showed today her fighting spirit, showed the determination that it takes to win a Grand Slam, or to make thru a difficult match. But, also, I think we shouldn’t underestimate Martina. It’s very difficult to play against someone who seems to be injured, or suffering, and, at the very end of the match, Venus was running her heart out, and hitting the ball like she always does.

So I think we shouldn’t jump on the conclusions about how good or bad Martina or Venus may be playing. I think Venus is far from being playing some competitive tennis, and regardless of her results this week, I think it’s going to take four or five weeks for her to play some really good tennis. On the other hand, I totally think Martina could be a major threat in Roland Garros. ˇUn saludo!

vwfan
May 4th, 2006, 05:25 PM
I agree with you guys. I think Venus showed today her fighting spirit, showed the determination that it takes to win a Grand Slam, or to make thru a difficult match. But, also, I think we shouldn’t underestimate Martina. It’s very difficult to play against someone who seems to be injured, or suffering, and, at the very end of the match, Venus was running her heart out, and hitting the ball like she always does.

So I think we shouldn’t jump on the conclusions about how good or bad Martina or Venus may be playing. I think Venus is far from being playing some competitive tennis, and regardless of her results this week, I think it’s going to take four or five weeks for her to play some really good tennis. On the other hand, I totally think Martina could be a major threat in Roland Garros. ˇUn saludo!well, everyone said that Martina would be a test for Venus--on clay, after only two matches for the year. and after all was said she was the victor, so I don't think you need be so begrudging. it doesn't sound like it was the most beautiful match in the world, but she won (ugly or not) and she beat what was supposed to be a quality player on what is supposed to be her worse surface after playing only three matches since September.
she might not win them all, but she certainly won this one and sent the message that she is not going away quietly into the night to all opponents willing to stand on the other side of the net. if other players know that venus is going to stand her ground, there will be some nervous ninnies showing up to compete.

henryj2001
May 4th, 2006, 07:00 PM
I am not saying Venus is playing great tennis at the moment - the point I am making and trying to get across is that Venus will always fight and shine at the end of anything she does and this match just proved how good Venus is.

What makes Venus this good is the Qualities she has which I have said above...

WF4EVER
May 4th, 2006, 07:11 PM
I would!

The fact that she was down a set and 3-0
to level it at one set apeice said it all for me.

Win or lose, she was gonna fight it out.

I hear all these people going on and on being bitter
and stupid but given all the circumstances
(wind, both coming back, injury, ect...) both can
take positives away and learn from the negatives.

It's called perspective and many around here would do
to get a healthy dose of it.

I've been reading a lot of threads with your posts lately and it seems when you're not praising your fave you're trying to tell other people what they should and shouldn't say. IMO if that is what you call having a healthy dose of perspective you have overdosed yourself.

It seems around here people don't have the right to express their opinions about what's going on and in particular Venus and Serena unless they meet the approval of many of you, especially many Venus and Serena fanatics. This is a democratic board (most of the time) and maybe you need to realize that.

You don't have to agree with what anyone says but you have no right to tell them what to think or what to express on this board and, as much as you'd like to, you can't make them 'just shut up'.

Furthermore, the red dots don't help either.

Williams-forever
May 4th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Vee was simply amazing today. Enough said :armed:

Paneru
May 4th, 2006, 07:22 PM
I've been reading a lot of threads with your posts lately and it seems when you're not praising your fave you're trying to tell other people what they should and shouldn't say. IMO if that is what you call having a healthy dose of perspective you have overdosed yourself.

It seems around here people don't have the right to express their opinions about what's going on and in particular Venus and Serena unless they meet the approval of many of you, especially many Venus and Serena fanatics. This is a democratic board (most of the time) and maybe you need to realize that.

You don't have to agree with what anyone says but you have no right to tell them what to think or what to express on this board and, as much as you'd like to, you can't make them 'just shut up'.

Furthermore, the red dots don't help either.

Then act like idiots! :p

I'll do better at just ignoring it.

Thanks you for that! :wavey:

BTW, no dots.

MrSerenaWilliams
May 4th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Vee did what she had to do to beat Hingis (who is NO ORDINARY PLAYER). This was her SECOND MATCH IN 4 MONTHS! Give Venus some credit. Yeah she had 70 unforced errors...so WHAT! She WON. If it's not one thing, it's another. Venus almost NEVER loses matches where she plays cleanly, so even though the stats show that she wasn't SPARKLING in her tennis quality. It shows that she can still win matches while not playing at her best. She won almost a sets worth of points MORE than Hingis, who played much more cleanly...so at the end of the day, what really matters, how cleanly you play, or whether or not you lose or win?

SHUT IT ON DOWN!
-Venus is on her way back! HATERS BEWARE!