PDA

View Full Version : Goddess Venus (7) Renews Rivalry With Lioness Sveta (4)

pierce0415
May 4th, 2006, 01:52 PM
2003 AO 1R Venus 64 62
2004 Dubai QF Sveta 62 63
2004 Warsaw F Venus 61 64
2006 Warsaw QF ?

http://www.jandscup.pl/zdj/783.jpg

eugreene2
May 4th, 2006, 01:54 PM
This is NOT a rivalry. Stop it!

tenn_ace
May 4th, 2006, 01:56 PM

exactly

he/she would say anything to get people to post in his/her thread... annoying :rolleyes:

G_Slammed
May 4th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Hate to have to... but I have to go with .. Kuzzy.

tenn_ace
May 4th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Sveta, my baby ( as long as she doesn't have a brainf*rt) ;)

Viktymise
May 4th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Queen vee will reign supreme

Il Primo!
May 4th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Venus :kiss: :hearts: ;) Objectively she just has cramps so she will likely be fine for tomorow ;)

jj74
May 4th, 2006, 02:33 PM
I bet on Sveta, she is great on clay, but i expect a very close match

Dawn Marie
May 4th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Venus! Hey Sveta looks nice in that picture. Red looks great on her.

MrSerenaWilliams
May 4th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Venus should win this one. IMHO, Hingis was the most in-form of all of the players here (maybe except for Clijsters). If she beat her with cramps, she should be fine against Kuzy. I love what Richard is doing for Venus' game!

Foot_Fault
May 4th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Venus should win this one. IMHO, Hingis was the most in-form of all of the players here (maybe except for Clijsters). If she beat her with cramps, she should be fine against Kuzy. I love what Richard is doing for Venus' game!

Clijsters in form? She's getting it back, Kim is far from her Best form. She's working towards there though...

Infiniti2001
May 4th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Vee has already won the tournament for me :haha: Nah, hope she prevails again this time :p

V-fan
May 4th, 2006, 02:46 PM

richard really makes Venus focused on her game......if she can raise her game the coming weeks, she will be a danger to anyone again, even at the FO

venus_rulez
May 4th, 2006, 02:48 PM
I pick Venus. Even though we don't know how Venus will respond after today's unbelivable effort, she has a history of being fine after long matches. I say Venus in 3.

kiwifan
May 4th, 2006, 02:50 PM

No kidding, considering Venus just played Chucky calling anything else a rivalry is completely :retard:

Venus-Hingis is the ultimate and I really don't think Venus has a "rivalry" with anyone else well other than Spirlea ;)

As for the actual match Sveta is playing her best since the Slam win and Venus is just coming back onto the tour and recovering from cramps and I hear that Venus' shoes are too tight and they hurt her feet which is slowing her down...

...so I pick Venus. :devil:

morningglory
May 4th, 2006, 02:51 PM
nice tourney, Venus, but this is the end.
Svetlana will win in straights. ;)

SAEKeithSerena
May 4th, 2006, 02:53 PM
this is far from a rivalry.

venus def. svetlana 6-4, 7-6 (8)

harloo
May 4th, 2006, 02:53 PM
This is going to be a tough one for Vee. If she is still having problems with the cramps then I give the edge to Sveta. Hopefully Vee pulls a hat trick out of the bag and takes Kuzy down. I'm just happy she beat Martina.

DelMonte
May 4th, 2006, 02:55 PM
I love Venus and like Sveta very much. I think the smart money has to be on Sveta....she's fantastic on clay and is in much better form. I dont even know in what shape Venus will be tomorrow...she could be physically and mentally tired from her efforts today. She'll fight though and that's all I can expect from her at this stage of her comeback.

BRING IT ON!! :)

Viktymise
May 4th, 2006, 03:05 PM
lets go venus lets go

winone23
May 4th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Venus has the tools to defeat Kuzzy, I hope they both do well with Venus on top. This win over Hingis just might be the fire that Venus needs.

No Name Face
May 4th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Venus can easily beat Kuznetsova, but Kuznetova reminds me so much of Serena (but not as good). I do think that Kuznetsova's really good on clay and since Venus had a hard time beating Hingis and might be fatigued, I'd give the nod to Sveta --- 6-3, 6-4.

No shame in Venus losing to an in-form Kuznetsova, that's for sure.

I do hope I'm wrong...love both players, but I'm a Venus fan first and foremost.

cometz9
May 4th, 2006, 03:42 PM
i hope Venus, it's gonna be a slugfest between the two.

xin_hui
May 4th, 2006, 03:43 PM

so true!

at least he didnt use the word "SHOWDOWN" :rolleyes:

tenn_ace
May 4th, 2006, 03:48 PM
so true!

at least he didnt use the word "SHOWDOWN" :rolleyes:

he switched to rivalry now... every match is a rivarly :p :rolleyes:

améliemomo
May 4th, 2006, 03:49 PM
svetlana wont give her as many chances as hingis did today,sorry guys but sveta in 2 :)

Tennisaddict
May 4th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Well as much as I hate to say it, I think Kuznetsova will win. I like Svetlana very much but Venus is my nr 1 player so I hope that she can pull out another great victory.

Venus only has rivalries with Davenport, Hingis and Serena btw.

xin_hui
May 4th, 2006, 03:57 PM
he switched to rivalry now... every match is a rivarly :p :rolleyes:

again, a lack of vocabulary :tape:

Grohl
May 4th, 2006, 04:11 PM
sveta! she has to!
and she will!

MH0861
May 4th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Sveta's a great clay court player and has been in form lately. I think she will be too much for Venus to handle in this stage of her return to the tour, especially if she cramps again or anything. Then again, you can't count Venus out ever, she'll just surprise you and shut you up. So, we'll see, but I went with Sveta.

Volcana
May 4th, 2006, 05:19 PM
This match is a better measure of Venus' current form than the Hingis match was. A three setter where she had to return a lot of balls was probably good for Venus though.

Il Primo!
May 4th, 2006, 05:20 PM
svetlana wont give her as many chances as hingis did today,sorry guys but sveta in 2 :)
Isn't the same Sveta who squandered lots of opportunities against Myskina and JHH at the latest 2 RG?Isn't the same Sveta who choked against JHH last year in final :scratch: Sveta is not reputed as beeing a mentally solid player :)

tenn_ace
May 4th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Isn't the same Sveta who squandered lots of opportunities against Myskina and JHH at the latest 2 RG?Isn't the same Sveta who choked against JHH last year in final :scratch: Sveta is not reputed as beeing a mentally solid player :)

CORRECTION: was not reputed....

Have you watched any tennis recently? Like Miami? :p

Paneru
May 4th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Venus in 2

6-3 6-3

santhuruu
May 4th, 2006, 05:38 PM
I think Venus will win this match, yeah I don't know why but Venus really performs very good if her father is there too.

WF4EVER
May 4th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Sveta easily like she did in Dubai a couple of years ago.

darrinbaker00
May 4th, 2006, 05:48 PM
If Kerrie Brooks does her job properly (and given Venus and Serena's recent history, that's a BIG if), Venus :worship: will win.

Infiniti2001
May 4th, 2006, 05:49 PM

That was on hardcourt-- Venus returned the favour 6-1 6-4 on clay at the 2004 final of J&S :shrug:

darrinbaker00
May 4th, 2006, 05:49 PM
I could say the same about Venus IN WARSAW that same year, you know. ;)

darrinbaker00
May 4th, 2006, 06:17 PM
I just saw the order of play for tomorrow, and they had the decency to schedule this match last. :bounce:

RenaSlam.
May 4th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Venus, the Queen.

SvetaPleaseWin.
May 4th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Sveta :worship:

WF4EVER
May 4th, 2006, 07:19 PM
That was on hardcourt-- Venus returned the favour 6-1 6-4 on clay at the 2004 final of J&S :shrug:

What is your point?

The H2H and scores were clearly shown at the top of the thread.

My opinion is not based on whether or not Venus has ever beaten Sveta but on the condition of both players. I think Sveta is in much better shape than Venus at the moment. I would be very surprised if Venus won.

Infiniti, I am a fan of Venus' and I don't want her to lose. That doesn't mean that all things considered I have to convince myself that she 'will' win. I'm not that blind.

Il Primo!
May 4th, 2006, 07:32 PM
CORRECTION: was not reputed....

Have you watched any tennis recently? Like Miami? :p
Xcuz me but one tourney can't change everything...Do you remember the 2004 USO :p

QUEENLINDSAY
May 4th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Sveta, Venus start on the Hingis match was horible. It was just Hingis choker again. Unless Sveta choke also.

Kart
May 4th, 2006, 07:39 PM
Isn't the same Sveta who squandered lots of opportunities against Myskina and JHH at the latest 2 RG?Isn't the same Sveta who choked against JHH last year in final :scratch:

It could be.

Or it could be the Sveta that thrashed Mauresmo and Sharapova in Miami this year.

Hopefully Venus won't be relying on her opponent to hand her the win.

sheryo
May 4th, 2006, 07:41 PM
If Venus has the energy, she will win, she's a better player.

But Kuznet' is in good form and she's not tired at all.

So, finally, I think Venus. Come on, good luck!

Infiniti2001
May 4th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Sveta, Venus start on the Hingis match was horible. It was just Hingis choker again. Unless Sveta choke also.

Since when do stats from one match determine what will happen in the next? :shrug:

QUEENLINDSAY
May 4th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Since when do stats from one match determine what will happen in the next? :shrug:

I would bank my money on the latest match played, than just ur plain idolatry thinking.

Infiniti2001
May 4th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Been hanging out with that dictionary again?? :haha:

RJWCapriati
May 4th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Venus in 2

QUEENLINDSAY
May 4th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Been hanging out with that dictionary again?? :haha::tape: dont bother!

ivan88
May 4th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Sveta in 3

slydevil6142
May 4th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Kuzzy is playing great tennis but shes going to play Venus Williams..... dont think the locker rooms arent buzzing about this match .... Kuzzy should win based on current results but Im picking Venus 6-3,6-2.

LH2HBH
May 4th, 2006, 08:09 PM
I think Venus will take this one in two tough sets. Something like 7-5, 7-5. Also don't forget Richard might make the difference!

H2H Between the two

WILLIAMS - AUSOPEN 2003 | 6-4, 6-2 (HARD)
KUZNETSOVA - DUBAI 2004 | 6-2, 6-3 (HARD)
WILLIAMS - WARSAW 2004 | 6-1, 6-4 (CLAY)

Geisha
May 4th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Venus :kiss: :hearts: ;) Objectively she just has cramps so she will likely be fine for tomorow ;)

How long do you want her to have cramps for? Three weeks?

perseus2006
May 4th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Venus should take a proactive stance on this "cramp" thing. She should insist on being allowed Venus Massage Time Outs prior her opponent's serve right from the begining of the match to ensure she doesn't cramp and gets proper rest.

The VMTO's would be good for Venus's advancement through the draws and you can imagine the devastation they would wreak on the opponents' minds!!! Consequently, such a rule would be good for tennis, good for the tournament organizers and good for tv in that they would have ten minute commercials every other game. VMTO's should be adopted by the WTA and ITF immediately so they will be in place for RG.

Brooks.
May 4th, 2006, 09:16 PM
What is your point?

The H2H and scores were clearly shown at the top of the thread.

My opinion is not based on whether or not Venus has ever beaten Sveta but on the condition of both players. I think Sveta is in much better shape than Venus at the moment. I would be very surprised if Venus won.

Infiniti, I am a fan of Venus' and I don't want her to lose. That doesn't mean that all things considered I have to convince myself that she 'will' win. I'm not that blind.

I kinda agree with this..I would love for Vee to win but I just think Sveta will

I was shocked Vee was able to beat Hingis today so I'm happy with her form already with such little match play

Kuznetsova 7-5 6-3

but I always think my faves are going to lose so what do I know :tape: :o :lol:

Paialii
May 4th, 2006, 09:19 PM
No doubt that I WANT to see Venus win, but it's hard to pick a winner with this one. Kuznetsova is one of the (if not THE) streakiest player on the tour. When she's on, she's on, but otherwise she doesn't put up much of a fight. I think we'll see a three-setter. I'm not going to pick a winner because it's too hard. Just rootin' for Venus, and rooting for a high-quality match, regardless of who wins. :)

Tennisation
May 4th, 2006, 09:49 PM
If Sveta is going to win this match, it has to be in 2 sets. If it goes to 3, Venus will prevail. First set is really important for Sveta to win, if Venus wins the first set, she'll probably close it out in 2.