PDA

View Full Version : Venus fights through pain and shows her guts and beats Hingis 4-6 7-5 6-4

Pages : [1] 2

santhuruu
May 4th, 2006, 01:45 PM
What a match Vee, take care of your cramps!

What a matchplay what a grunting.

It was a spectacular FIGHT!!!

The_Pov
May 4th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Well done Venus :worship:

narrisch
May 4th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Hingis is so stupid :tape:

but well done Venus...

V-MAC
May 4th, 2006, 01:47 PM
[B]Oh my f**king God!! (excuse the language), I CANNOT BELIEVE VENUS HAS PULLED OUT THAT MATCH!! She couldn't even walk!!!!! Words fail me on just how amazing Venus Williams is :worship: :worship:

silverwhite
May 4th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Venus :bowdown:

I expected her to lose in straight sets but she fought so hard! :eek: :worship:

Cersei
:bounce:

Kworb
What an ugly, horrible match from both sides!!

Error after error after error..

Hingis was just awful at the end, I was ashamed.

~Carsten~
wow that was a great Match!
It was great to see Venus live :)
Congrats to this fight and win :)

willrock
Congrats Venus!
It seems to have been helluva match!

SilK
Well done Vee! :yeah:

Martina is going to be pissed at her self tonight. :o

CJ07
:worship: Venus :worship:

Vaidisova
Wow Venus! :D Amazing fight to take the win!

TheBoiledEgg
must have been the new Princess Leia hairdo that got her thru.
The force was with her :lol:

Martina :o pfffffffff bad loss all things considered :help:

tae04
Yes Venus welcome back, excellent win!
No not another injury if it is :confused:

Maria Croft
Go Venus!

What a fighter :worship:

safinforlife
do you think she will pull out of the tournament or will she be fine for tommorow?

ctan88
May 4th, 2006, 01:49 PM
I am so dissapointed ... Hingis led 64, 54 and had 30-0 ...

Paneru
:worship: Venus & Martina!!!!!!! :hug:

Drama, good tennis, bad tennis,
fight, heart, injury, everything!!!!

This should have been a final!!!

Nabalonge
I am so very happy. So very happy :clap2:

Vacant
Well done Venus! Way to prove me wrong! :D :woohoo:

I have never shouted so loud as I did in those final two games! I think I lost about ten years off my life expectancy during that.

Matze
My girl is back... What a match, what a fight, what a feeling must that be for Vee to beat Hingis while cramping....

SJW
so she's injured....AGAIN? :help:
congrats Venus :yeah:
better luck next time Martina :kiss:

Foot_Fault
Those 2 Bitches Need a REDBULL! Venus, I am worried about you. over 70UE's. But i can say, you Tied the Head to Head BABY!

Good job by both. I don't think Martina should be discouraged from this, she knows about Venus' fight, probably just forgot about it. But...On and Off Tennis from both.

Sevenseas
Yesss!!!!! I knew you could do it, Venus!!!!!!!!!!! :worship: :worship:

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!! Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

alex14
noo hingis!! :( so many game point chances in the 3rd set!! oh well, well done venus

xtooL
WAW ...someone called Martina stupid - :) Marti fans wont be to happy you know..

It was a great match n fight by Venus - even though I was cheering for Marti .. I have to say I was very disappointed , I dont know if she played badly and isnt that good anymore or she's just losing her confidence n belief in her game and is careless .
she had too many chances to win this match but she just didnt..
anyway props to Venus glad to see her back and wanting it so bad..

frenchie
May 4th, 2006, 01:50 PM
SIMPLY AMAZING fight from Venus!!!!! :eek: :eek:

She should be an example for everybody! :worship:

safinforlife
I just hope she will be ok for tommorow!!! but damn she's good!!!

aNYthing
:hearts: VENUS!!!! :worship: I love this girl! :bounce:

santhuruu
I think they are only cramps in her legs, that will be handled easily I think, because she had done that before. See you tomorrow Venus

Kworb
Venus DID NOT FIGHT at the end.. Hingis GAVE IT AWAY

It was only in the second set that Venus earned her games

furrykitten
Good fight Venus :worship:

Hingis, that was an embarrassing way to lose! :eek:

Dementinator
Well Done Vee! good job ,geat fight ,sent the loathsome one packing!!! Lets hope the injury is not too serious!

Robbie.
May 4th, 2006, 01:51 PM
If Hingis couldnt beat Venus in this match, which, lets face it, was set up for her to win right down to having her opponent cramp in set 3, I doubt she will ever beat her again.

Funny how some things never change. She still has the game to beat Venus just like she did in 2000 and 2001. But just like back then, she just doesnt have the brain to do so.

I'm off to bed.

BigBabeTENNIS
amazing venus love you

~Poseidon~
I'm so happy for Venus and very impressed by her fight, but Martina should think about finally going home to switzerland and produce cheese or stuff like that.

She was horrible.

Foot_Fault
do you think she will pull out of the tournament or will she be fine for tommorow?

If it's just cramps she can hydrate herself and be alright, get a nice rub down. Remember Justine US Open 2003. She was just Fine:o

Shuji Shuriken
I can't really understand how I feel right now. It's a combination of euphoria and sadness and just drained after investing so much emotion following this match....the injury time out and the thought of Venus being injured again...watching her fight back from 3-0 down in the second set...her playing through cramps...Venus I love you....no one else come close...you are my heart :hearts: :sobbing: :hearts:. You can hold your head high no matter what happens tomorrow :worship:

Stamp Paid
10-all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Morrissey
See this is the real Venus Williams the champion and the incredible fighter. Venus and Hingis have a long history and they do not like losing to each other. Of course today Venus gave it everything she had. Just remember that this is Venus second event of the year so I think the cramps thing isn't unusual. The cramps may occur because her body isn't used to playing these extremely long tennis matches. I don't know if Venus will play tomorrow. We will see how she feels. But this win over Hingis is huge because its just Venus second event of the year.

Dasha_
Love you Venus! Well done! Congratulations! That is what the thrue champ is all about....

Libertango
LIKE OLD TIMES!!!! :hearts:

Brilliant performance! Down a set 3-0 and 5-4 30-0, and then the cramps in the final set and she STILL managed to pull it out.

I loved that Backhand DTL at 30-15 in the last game, and her fist pump after it, I love seeing that kind of emotion from Vee.....to think some people think she doesn't care about tennis anymore, just watching this match proves all those people wrong! :worship:

I really feel for Martina though. This is a big loss, not just because of who it is, but the manner of the loss. She probably should have won today, and in the end, she folded pretty tamely in the last few games. I hope she doesn't let this loss set her back. Go Marti! :hug:

tfannis
May 4th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Yesssss :banana:

Joana
Bye, Martina, it was nice seeing you again.

jogoss_78
:lol: OMG :lol:
What a match!! I'll never forget it!!!
Congrats Venus :worship:
Amazing fight

Stamp Paid
Hingis has a losing record to the Williams Sisters now, doesnt she? Adje!

frenchie
Was it cramps or an injury????

Venus was sometimes over-reacting....

Paneru
Those 2 Bitches Need a REDBULL! Venus, I am worried about you. over 70UE's. But i can say, you Tied the Head to Head BABY!

Giving the cramping I'm not surprised.

Great heart. Might not always
be pretty but she'll compete for ya'.

Brooks.
Venus :worship: I thought it was over when she tied it for 4-4 third set but you fought so hard....that's why I love you....you are such a true champion :hearts:

Martina play better in Berlin...I'll be rooting for you to win there ;)

Il Primo!
SIMPLY AMAZING fight from Venus!!!!! :eek: :eek:

She should be an example for everybody! :worship:

:yeah: I agree

gsm
May 4th, 2006, 01:53 PM
omg vee, great fighting spirit!!!

very sad this match up was in the 2nd rd!

Sharapova's_Boy
Martina :help:

MrSerenaWilliams
Amazing job Vee! Just like you said in Australia, don't even pay attention to the naysayers! Work it out! Now I just hope that the cramps don't get worse and you can take care of yourself for the quarters!
Well DONE!

~Poseidon~
Venus DID NOT FIGHT at the end.. Hingis GAVE IT AWAY

It was only in the second set that Venus earned her games

Cmon, Venus kicked Martinas butt with one leg left.
She shot winner after winner and earned her victory.

Paneru
Was it cramps or an injury????

Venus was sometimes over-reacting....

Cramping and i don't think
she was overreacting.

Never will forget 99' USO.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Very well done!!

Good Luck, Venus!!

Knizzle
May 4th, 2006, 01:54 PM
King, STOP IT!!!! You're killing me!!!! :spit:

Kiswana
May 4th, 2006, 01:54 PM
:sobbing: <---- Tears of JOY! :D

gsm
May 4th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Brilliant performance! Down a set 3-0 and 5-4 30-0, and then the cramps in the final set and she STILL managed to pull it out.
holy crap!!!

i didnt know that, wow!!! well done vee!

MrSerenaWilliams
May 4th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Hingis has a losing record to the Williams Sisters now, doesnt she? Adje!

Yep:

Serena leads 7-6
Venus tied 10-10

WS lead Hingis 17-16!

practiceboy
May 4th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Is anyone going to upload this match?

volta
they will put her her match in the alst place to play at least i think that they will i bet she will try to see if she can handle it or not if she doesnt then she at least tried.

i loved the match i was soo excited :bounce: but then the 3rd set came and Vee started to feel the pain i was oh hell no not again :sad: but she fought thru it and won the match. Vee & Martina :hug: :hug: :hug: and im not even a martina fan :D

well done Vee and get some rest for tomorrow :worship: :hug: those backhands dtl :eek:

alfonsojose
Hingis :o :help:
Venus .. was she faking it :scratch: ?

Kworb
Cmon, Venus kicked Martinas butt with one leg left.
She shot winner after winner and earned her victory.
No? Hingis was hitting very weak, slow shots that landed halfway on the court. Venus didn't even have to run :rolleyes:

Scots Kim Fan
May 4th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Well done Venus. I thought martina had you but that fightback was really impressive!

Couver
May 4th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Ok I think both players deserve huge props for this match. Granted it was ugly at times, but the drama and the tension was so high and I only watched it from a scoreboard, I can only imagine what it was like for people who got to see it live. After 4 years these two still produce classic matches, though I wish this had been a final.

Venus I'm so happy!!!!!:worship: But I hope the cramps are nothing searious :sad:

And congrats to Martina. Before this match happend I think most people agreeded that whoever lost could still hold their head high, and I don't think that's changed. Yet there are still naysayers who are now ragging on Hingis.

Anyway it's 7 AM over here and I am going on no sleep so I need to at least try and get some rest.

The Crow
May 4th, 2006, 01:58 PM
:woohoo: :bounce:

squash
Venus did an excellent job today, she had to fight hard, but she didn't give up.

Experimentee
Venus maintains recent dominance over Martina, even with cramps and lack of form :yeah: :bounce:

Knizzle
Most importantly, I WON VCASH!!!!!

akosijepoy
SUch an awesome match! Congrats to both girls. I know you gave you all!

Now for venus. Please rest and get therapy for your injury. You wanna be healthy for tomorrow's match. I mean if you are still pushing with it. But whatever the outcome may be I'm still proud of you and will support your decision.

Question: Were Richard and Melanie there at the stadium watching? what was their reaction?

MrSerenaWilliams
May 4th, 2006, 01:59 PM
:sobbing: <---- Tears of JOY! :D
EXACTLY!

Viktymise
Vee the queen has officially announced she is back with a bang, i love u vee gr8 fight frm her, hope she will be ok for tomoorow, good luck in quaters, whatever about the quality it was a highly dramatic match

loppy
Well done, Venus!!

Belmont Lad
May 4th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Martina, yikes! :eek: So many opportunities to put this match away, all wasted.

alfonsojose
May 4th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Martina should learn to play an injured player, real or not :smash:

Foot_Fault
May 4th, 2006, 02:04 PM
No? Hingis was hitting very weak, slow shots that landed halfway on the court. Venus didn't even have to run :rolleyes:

And that's VENUS' Fault?:confused:
Venus continued to play and hit through her pain. Martina has always played that way when her back was against the wall, she was just use to Venus hitting UE after UE to take her to victory. In the words of Mary J. Blige (ft. Eve) "NOT TODAY!"

Good fight and fright from both ladies. Venus just need to rest up, get a rub down and fluids in her body.

AsGoodAsNew
Bye, Martina, it was nice seeing you again.
You'll miss her if she goes for good. Look at the excitement this match generated - and future matches between Martina and her foes will as well. The tour needs these sorts of matches. So go a bit lighter on her.

frenchie
Am I the only one who think Venus was playing brilliant tennis at times??

I mean, she was out for soooo long, she comes back and she's able to beat Hingis on clay!!!

Her forehand was very good and accurate, but the backhand was inconsistant. She had 80% of first serves in but the movement was not great

Joana
Venus .. was she faking it :scratch: ?

No. But she still has a heart of the champion. Martina doesn't.

The Daviator
May 4th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Martina :smash:

Against a crippled Venus, you STILL couldn't hold your serve...

Amazing fight from Vee though :yeah:

kaki
May 4th, 2006, 02:05 PM
All I can say is:INCREDIBLE.I saw it live and I can't imagine how Venus managed to win!!! I'm glad Vee pulled this one,but I also think that may it be some one else,she would have withdrwan.Hingis brings the best of Vee.Welcome back Vee,it has been so long!!! I love you

Dawn Marie
May 4th, 2006, 02:06 PM
What a great fight from Venus Williams. I am like in a bit of a shock. I mean I did';t know if she was going to even play Warsaw. She plays injury free, faces Hingis in rd 2 and wins it with a tight thriller. I really didn't expect the match up to be so soon. All of my energy for this rivalry came charging back! WOWSER!

These ladies deserve A HUGE amount of respect. They played a hard fought match and they both really wanted the win. Yoiu can't knock Hingis. She has been out for 4 years and still manages to take Venus to three tough sets. Venus has been injured and she beat Hingis on clay in three sets.

I don't see a loser here. I love the rialry and it helps that Vee came out the winner. THEY'RE BACK!!

Foot_Fault
May 4th, 2006, 02:07 PM
And congrats to Martina. Before this match happend I think most people agreeded that whoever lost could still hold their head high, and I don't think that's changed. Yet there are still naysayers who are now ragging on Hingis.

Really? I have seen nothing but Well Wishes. :confused: :rolleyes:

Angelnoir
May 4th, 2006, 02:07 PM
I'm will be in a coma until tomorrow

kaki
May 4th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Am I the only one who think Venus was playing brilliant tennis at times??

I mean, she was out for soooo long, she comes back and she's able to beat Hingis on clay!!!

Her forehand was very good and accurate, but the backhand was inconsistant. She had 80% of first serves in but the movement was not great

I agree with you.But how come Vee won with some thing like 80 UE?Amazing girl

jmd
May 4th, 2006, 02:09 PM
wwwwwwwwwoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhh hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

next will be a hard one

Rocketta
May 4th, 2006, 02:12 PM
:woohoo: What great news to wake up to! :banana: :banana:

Haute
Venus! :D :D

Foot_Fault
and to all the people that say Hingis is in the GREAT category of clay courters, Vee has beat her, i think twice on clay..and once at a tier one.

Nickk
I'm so glad I had to leave to see the doctot at 4-4 in the second, I can't take that much drama :lol:

Vee, I'm so pround, I'm watching you right now... :worship:

Most importantly, 10-10!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

alex14
May 4th, 2006, 02:14 PM
im sort of glad hingis lost, she needed a loss from one of her ex rivals to show her that it isnt all easy. and to make her work harder, because i believe when she loses to one of her ex rivals, we see her back playing better. Its a lesson learnt, and expecting better things to come from her. Who ever keeps saying bye to hingis r idiots, she just played the reigning wimbledon champion and took her to 3 sets coming within reach of victory and blowing off heaps opportunities but she was there and anyones match, one point would of made all the difference. Venus amazing fighting spirit, well done and good luck in the tourny :)

Stamp Paid
May 4th, 2006, 02:16 PM
LOL! @ Foot Fault!
You crazy...

Knizzle
May 4th, 2006, 02:17 PM
*SMH* @ the "Venus" fanatics who are only around when she wins matches. Then run their mouths like they were in the stands cheering her to victory. *death*

cometz9
May 4th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Venus :woohoo: :banana: 3rd match of the year and she won it by beating Martina. I hope she'll recover in time for tomorrow match.

Martina :sad: wasted toooo many opportunities, tough loss to take in but good luck in Berlin :yeah:

Pureracket
May 4th, 2006, 02:19 PM
:woohoo: What great news to wake up to! :banana: :banana:Umm. . .why are you just waking up?

Infiniti2001
May 4th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Vee :bowdown: :banana: :yippee: I gather that pride won Vee this match :eek: :bounce: Dunno about anyone else, but I don't care what happens during the rest of the tournament ---- this match is like winning the whole shebang to me :lol: Nah, it would be oh so lovely if she could go all the way :p

Knizzle
May 4th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Umm. . .why are you just waking up?

Somebody musta been giving up the booty last night....:devil: :tape:

Someone check the whereabouts of Ralph Sampson. :p

Vaidisova
May 4th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Venus :bounce:

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/rids/20060504/i/r1653375399.jpg

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/rids/20060504/i/r3737775557.jpg

VRee_Willario
Finally Venus! You got me interested in tennis again!!!!!!!!
Tied Head-to-head. I thought it would never happen again. almost the same score as in the US open in 2000 just last two sets the other way around :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

eugreene2
This is what makes me mad when I cheer for Davenport. She NEVER fights like this. I don't know what made me think about Davy but seeing Venus fight like this makes me upset all over again about how Davenport goes into depression mode when she makes just 1 mistake.

Pureracket
May 4th, 2006, 02:23 PM

Someone check the whereabouts of Ralph Sampson. :pThat's what I was wondering. It's after 10am EST, and she is just waking up?

Cybelle Darkholme
May 4th, 2006, 02:24 PM
great play (at times) from Venus:
53 winners to Martina's 12

...but some horrible, nervy errors:
80 unforced errors to Martina's 39

So basically they both had a differential of 27 errors each. Interesting.

CrossCourt~Rally
May 4th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Wow..sounded like an awesome match! Congrats to Venus! No shame from Hingis either...still early in her comeback. SEE..THIS IS THE KIND OF MATCHES we have been missing with the absense of the Williams, CAP and Hingis :sad: ..Anyways...GREAT MATCH! I would love to see it on TV :D :bounce:

darrinbaker00
May 4th, 2006, 02:25 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Knizzle, you know Ralph would pull a groin muscle and miss work for two months...

Hagar
May 4th, 2006, 02:26 PM
so she's injured....AGAIN? :help:

Yeah, same thought here.
I'm sorry but what does this woman do as physical preparation? She's not on the tour for months and in her second match back she already has a problem. I don't get it. If you are injured all the time, you should take better care of your body and adjust your tennis technique. And I think it is the last thing that is the problem. Both Venus and Serena should finally learn how to play tennis properly instead of bashing the ball in their typical unorthodox fashion. If tennis is played like it should, it helps to keep healthy.

Kworb
May 4th, 2006, 02:26 PM
And that's VENUS' Fault?:confused:
Venus continued to play and hit through her pain. Martina has always played that way when her back was against the wall, she was just use to Venus hitting UE after UE to take her to victory. In the words of Mary J. Blige (ft. Eve) "NOT TODAY!"

Good fight and fright from both ladies. Venus just need to rest up, get a rub down and fluids in her body.
Like I said.. Hingis gave it away. Venus didn't have to do anything except hit the ball hard enough. It was not a "champion's struggle", it was like watching two 50 year olds.

That said, I do give props to Venus for not giving up when she was down 0-3 in the second set. It was quite remarkable, especially cause it was just the 3rd match of the year for her.

Cilla
May 4th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Martina :o Well done to Venus, but that was a giveaway from Hingis :o

Infiniti2001
May 4th, 2006, 02:28 PM
and to all the people that say Hingis is in the GREAT category of clay courters, Vee has beat her, i think twice on clay..and once at a tier one.

They've played on the red dirt 5 times with Venus leading 3-2 now :bounce:

998-05-04 Rome Clay F Martina Hingis (SUI) 6-3 2-6 6-3
1998-05-25 Roland Garros Clay QF Martina Hingis (SUI) 6-3 6-4
1999-05-03 Rome Clay SF Venus Williams (USA) 6-4 1-6 6-4
2002-04-29 Hamburg Clay SF Venus Williams (USA) 7-5 6-3
2006-05-05 Warsaw Clay 2nd rd Venus Williams (USA) 4-6 7-5 6-4

darrinbaker00
May 4th, 2006, 02:28 PM
great play (at times) from Venus:
53 winners to Martina's 12

...but some horrible, nervy errors:
80 unforced errors to Martina's 39

So basically they both had a differential of 27 errors each. Interesting.

Interesting, yes, but unusual only for Hingis.

The Daviator
May 4th, 2006, 02:29 PM
This is what makes me mad when I cheer for Davenport. She NEVER fights like this. I don't know what made me think about Davy but seeing Venus fight like this makes me upset all over again about how Davenport goes into depression mode when she makes just 1 mistake.

Everyone is different, Lindsay fights hard also, but maybe it's not as obvious, but no question Venus is much more dogged...

Rocketta
May 4th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Umm. . .why are you just waking up?

because i got it like that.. :cool:

champion88
May 4th, 2006, 02:30 PM
well done Vee- i left at *3-4 in the first set, but my damn VCR didn't record it!! :fiery:

Pureracket
May 4th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Yeah, same thought here.
I'm sorry but what does this woman do as physical preparation? She's not on the tour for months and in her second match back she already has a problem. I don't get it. If you are injured all the time, you should take better care of your body and adjust your tennis technique. And I think it is the last thing that is the problem. Both Venus and Serena should finally learn how to play tennis properly instead of bashing the ball in their typical unorthodox fashion. If tennis is played like it should, it helps to keep healthy.If you stop foaming @ the mouth for a sec @ an opportunity to rag on Venus, you would see that Venus' "injury" is actually leg cramps - probably a result of nerves and less-than-peak physical conditioning.

Don't worry, though, you'll be able to discuss Venus' "unorthodox fashion"(a 5 time Slam fashion, by the way) soon enough.

SJW
LOL! @ Foot Fault!
You crazy...
wrong word :lol:

DelMonte
http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/rids/20060504/i/r3737775557.jpg

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Guts and determination! Love it!! :drool:

Respect to both Martina and Venus. I almost had a heart attack but it's been the most exciting afternoon I've had in a long time.

Rocketta

always thinking about my booty better hope Kart don't see this. :p

Venus Forever
What a GREAT fight from Venus... I'm so proud of her... just rest up girl, and hopefully you'll be ready for tomorrow...

Martina... you are STILL a CHAMPION... just keep pounding away and things will fall in place once again...

CONGRATS to BOTH ladies!! :banana: :bounce: :yippee:

ZeroSOFInfinity
May 4th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Brilliant Venus!! What a match! :noteworthy:

Hingis... :tape:

But Venus' next match would be the REAL test for her...

Foot_Fault
They've played on the red dirt 5 times with Venus leading 3-2 now :bounce:

998-05-04 Rome Clay F Martina Hingis (SUI) 6-3 2-6 6-3
1998-05-25 Roland Garros Clay QF Martina Hingis (SUI) 6-3 6-4
1999-05-03 Rome Clay SF Venus Williams (USA) 6-4 1-6 6-4
2002-04-29 Hamburg Clay SF Venus Williams (USA) 7-5 6-3
2006-05-05 Warsaw Clay 2nd rd Venus Williams (USA) 4-6 7-5 6-4

AWSOME...Venus the Better Clay Courter! Interesting!

Infiniti2001
Yeah, same thought here.
I'm sorry but what does this woman do as physical preparation? She's not on the tour for months and in her second match back she already has a problem. I don't get it. If you are injured all the time, you should take better care of your body and adjust your tennis technique. And I think it is the last thing that is the problem. Both Venus and Serena should finally learn how to play tennis properly instead of bashing the ball in their typical unorthodox fashion. If tennis is played like it should, it helps to keep healthy.

:yawn:

Pureracket
because i got it like that.. :cool:Uhm-hunh! I'm from the country too, and we wake up before 9am unless something kept us up all night.:cool:

What did you do last night, 'cketta?

Foot_Fault
May 4th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Brilliant Venus!! What a match! :noteworthy:

Hingis... :tape:

But Venus' next match would be the REAL test for her...

They all said this one would be. and it was. Anything else would be gravy. I think Kuzzy is gonna hit harder and get Venus into a much better rhythm than Hingis.

Rocketta
May 4th, 2006, 02:34 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Knizzle, you know Ralph would pull a groin muscle and miss work for two months...

don't you dare talk about my Ralph, he can handle is business......:fiery:

:)

V-fan
May 4th, 2006, 02:36 PM
for all the who always wonder...Does Venus take still take tennis seriously> the answer is YES......Today was a great example of a determinent Venus Williams

Brooks.
May 4th, 2006, 02:38 PM
it's times like these that I miss deja_entendu :tape: :lol:

federated
I just hope the tennis channel shows this; sounds like a classic.

venus :worship:

what a champion.

vw.
Yeah Venus!! You rock! :hearts:

Is she gonna be okay against Svetlana, in terms of her fitness? :confused:

eugreene2
What a GREAT fight from Venus... I'm so proud of her... just rest up girl, and hopefully you'll be ready for tomorrow...

Martina... you are STILL a CHAMPION... just keep pounding away and things will fall in place once again...

CONGRATS to BOTH ladies!! :banana: :bounce: :yippee:

Are you the same Venus Forever that used to be on that venusserenafans.com site. That site was the best.

Nabalonge
Vee :bowdown: :banana: :yippee: I gather that pride won Vee this match :eek: :bounce: Dunno about anyone else, but I don't care what happens during the rest of the tournament ---- this match is like winning the whole shebang to me :lol: Nah, it would be oh so lovely if she could go all the way :p

:lol:

tennisrox
May 4th, 2006, 02:39 PM
I wish i'd seen this match. Sounds like yet another Williams-Hingis nailbiter.

Rocketta
Uhm-hunh! I'm from the country too, and we wake up before 9am unless something kept us up all night.:cool:

What did you do last night, 'cketta?

Look at you Pure trying to be all up in my kool-aid... :lol:

besides this thread is about Venus' magnificant return to the spotlight! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

harloo
Congrats Venus on a hard fought match!!! What a true champion!!:bounce: :bounce:

Pureracket
May 4th, 2006, 02:40 PM
it's times like these that I miss deja_entendu :tape: :lol:LOL! Trust me, his spawns are still lurking around trying to take potshots @ Venus and Serena whenever possible.

aussie_stars
May 4th, 2006, 02:41 PM
:worship: VENUS :bounce:

to be out for so long and to produce this. wow

morningglory
OMGoodness, in the 2nd set down 4-5 0-30 I thought Venus would lose, but she won! AWESOME FIGHTING VENUS!!!!!!!!!

CC
Yay! My life has meaning again. :bounce:

Pureracket
Look at you Pure trying to be all up in my kool-aid... :lol:

besides this thread is about Venus' magnificant return to the spotlight! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:Well, we'll let you off the hook only because of the celebration, but don't think we won't be revisiting this little topic, Miss.;)

Stamp Paid
May 4th, 2006, 02:43 PM

LOL, me too.
But he went away after Knizzle owned him. :tape:

Stamp Paid
May 4th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Yay! My life has meaning again. :bounce:

LMFAO

venus_rulez
May 4th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Woke up and saw this result and did my own fist pump and yell of yes :lol: Freakin awesome from Venus! God, I love her and love even more that she's back on tour once again. Amazing result. :worship:

Haute
May 4th, 2006, 02:48 PM
OMGoodness, in the 2nd set down 4-5 0-30 I thought Venus would lose, but she won! AWESOME FIGHTING VENUS!!!!!!!!!

She loves being down match point, or close to it. ;)

Tennisaddict
May 4th, 2006, 02:56 PM
I'm so proud of Venus! Now I know why tennislovers were looking forward to this matchup. I only started watching tennis in 2004 so I never saw their previous meetings unfortunately.

Hingis and especially Venus could have played much much better but it was a very entertaining match, and just when I thought Venus was going to lose in the second, she came back beautifully. The third was even more dynamic with Venus getting cramps, but she just refused to lose to Martina. It was so great to see her pumped fist when she got matchpoint.

I'm already eagerly anticipating their next matchup. Go Venus, good luck against Kuzy.

Avid Merrion
May 4th, 2006, 02:57 PM
:banana: wooooo! welcome back Venus! :D

mykarma
May 4th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Yeah, same thought here.
What about Juju. She gets more cramps than they do.

Maria Rosa
May 4th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Veeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!!

she needed this win !

Vaidisova
May 4th, 2006, 03:03 PM
http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20060504/capt.da0064885af24cc4a209b0fb6291a4f3.poland_tenni s_j_s_cup_xcs850.jpg

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20060504/capt.e9132b6906604fed931be89dc86448b4.poland_tenni s_j_s_cup_xak151.jpg
Venus Williams of the U.S. reacts after winning 4-6, 7-5, 6-4 against Switzerland's Martina Hingis in the second round of the WTA J&S Cup in Warsaw, Poland, Thursday, May 4, 2006.

Julian
May 4th, 2006, 03:12 PM
congrats Venus!! wow she still has it in her!

Martina..she really needed this win..it was the whole reason why she retired in the first place was because she couldnt handle the Williams..hope this doesnt set her back either..good luck next tourney!

Go Anke
May 4th, 2006, 03:17 PM
martina :fiery:

thank god I wasn't watching. :angel:

cometz9
May 4th, 2006, 03:20 PM
i feel so bad for Martina :sad: but Venus looks happy, i'm guessing she'll recover in time, too bad they had to play so early :mad:

Solitaire
May 4th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Congrats Miss Vee!!!! :worship: U were down and in pain but u made it through like the fighter u are.

Kathrin
May 4th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Woohoo! Great match! I like the fighting spirit! You derserved it today! :bounce:

Denise4925
May 4th, 2006, 03:40 PM
:bounce: Yeah Vee :banana: :worship: :lol: :clap2: :bigclap: :rocker2: :rocker:
:rolls: I'm so excited and happy :rolls:

Nice win Vee :yippee: :yippee:

Damn, it sounds like it was a good match. I wish we could have seen it here in the states.

vwfan
May 4th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Yeah, same thought here.
I'm sorry but what does this woman do as physical preparation? She's not on the tour for months and in her second match back she already has a problem. I don't get it. If you are injured all the time, you should take better care of your body and adjust your tennis technique. And I think it is the last thing that is the problem. Both Venus and Serena should finally learn how to play tennis properly instead of bashing the ball in their typical unorthodox fashion. If tennis is played like it should, it helps to keep healthy.Really! :lol: then why is Davenport, reportedly the "purest striker of the ball" out on injury or Henin, who is supposedly the real deal since she reigns on the great leveler clay, and Maria and her shoulder injury of all of last year and she is the great white hope. Come on now. Just shut up or make a real argument.

No Name Face
May 4th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Venus is so gorgeous.

*random*

good win too.

vwfan
May 4th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Are you the same Venus Forever that used to be on that venusserenafans.com site. That site was the best.what happened to that site anyway?!!!

Foot_Fault
May 4th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Veeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!!

she needed this win !

As i said yesterday, this wasn't a match of NEED. It was all about who WANTED IT, and VEE WANTED IT..!

~Cherry*Blossom~
May 4th, 2006, 03:57 PM
what a dramatic match. After the second set, with Venus playing some great tennis (1st serve % in Set 2 was over 80% ) I thought she would win. Then she got cramps and I thought she wouldn't win. However, when she broke Hingis to lead 2-1 I thought maybe she would. But she kept getting broken and she looked close to tears at some points. But she pulled through and I'm so happy :bounce: :woohoo: :aparty:

Williams Rulez
May 4th, 2006, 03:58 PM
yes... 10-10... so glad vee was able to correct tt head to head... :)

great fighting vee... good luck, go all e way! :)

Yasmine
May 4th, 2006, 04:09 PM
for the first time in ages I had coverage of a tennis match and I'm glad that's the one I was lucky to follow!
:worship: :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap: to Venus, she fought till the end! :worship:

serenafann
May 4th, 2006, 04:10 PM
yea,Venus so glad you won,sounds like you showed alot of heart.nothing new there I just wish I could have seen it for myself.So happy for you.

SelesFan70
May 4th, 2006, 04:15 PM
If it's just cramps she can hydrate herself and be alright, get a nice rub down. Remember Justine US Open 2003. She was just Fine:o

Yeah, but if it's stomach cramps...the Justine rule doesn't apply. :o

Kimdsay
May 4th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Damn Hingie, this really looked bad... :shrug:
But wow Venus, just wow... :bowdown:

hingis-seles
May 4th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Wow. Venus didn't need to do a thing in that third set, once Hingis choked away the second. She handed Venus that third set. Terrible. But, kudos to Venus for sitting there and taking Martina's errrors and doublefaults. She was the better player in the end. But, considering this match, that's not saying much.

Blackbeat
May 4th, 2006, 04:19 PM
what a match...i dont have any voice...i was cheering Venus so much... :)

great fight by Venus and she deserve this win sooo much...

ezekiel
May 4th, 2006, 04:22 PM
The fact that Venus finnished a match win or lose puts Justine and her defaulting and excuse making to shame ;)

Infiniti2001
May 4th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Wow. Venus didn't need to do a thing in that third set, once Hingis choked away the second. She handed Venus that third set. Terrible. But, kudos to Venus for sitting there and taking Martina's errrors and doublefaults. She was the better player in the end. But, considering this match, that's not saying much.

That's exactly how I feel about Venus and her errors in some of their past matches. :eek:

jonny84
May 4th, 2006, 04:32 PM
It was a close match. Well done Venus!

SerenaSlam
May 4th, 2006, 04:35 PM
can someome please tell me the player that fights w/ venus and serena when they are fighting till the end? i.e. Serena vs. Clijsters from 5-1 down to a 7-5 victory. Everyone says Serena's fight and gut etc, nuthig really about Kim just letting all them damn games go. I honestly just think these players know that the fight that Venus and Serena show @ times is very overwhelming. You have to realize that Im sure Martina had the match in the bag, but Mentally Venus and Serena are the best on the tour. That can break you down so quick and have you looking real stupid. I think Martina just realized that even if she did tie it up to 5-5 it was still going to be forever and a day before she ended up still losing. Some people just about know when its going to be over, espeically when you are playing a williams. And I heard venus hit a hot backhand DTL at 30-15 when she was closing out the match, that may have been the final confirmation for hingis.

Oh well, hingis isn't going anywhere. to know she can hang with a williams all the way to 6-4 in the third thats all she needed to make sure she can hang with these girls on the tour. I expect her to do very well at the French and US Open, (way to much power for her at wimbledon)

Foot_Fault
May 4th, 2006, 04:39 PM
no post match comments from either? anyone?

DelMonte
May 4th, 2006, 04:44 PM
no post match comments from either? anyone?

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=233894

Ryan
May 4th, 2006, 04:52 PM
I'm dissapointed that Hingis lost, but if she's going to play a third set against a top opponent THAT poorly, she deserves it. Regroup and do better in Berlin. :D

sapir1434
May 4th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Wow congrats Venus! it's so nice to see her winning again :D
Now Sveta, should be good match! ;)

Scotso
May 4th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Nice win Venus :D

vwfan
May 4th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Wow. Venus didn't need to do a thing in that third set, once Hingis choked away the second. She handed Venus that third set. Terrible. But, kudos to Venus for sitting there and taking Martina's errrors and doublefaults. She was the better player in the end. But, considering this match, that's not saying much.C'mon. You can be a little more gracious than that, even as a hingis fan. ;) Venus played better on the big points and that's when it counts.

vwfan
May 4th, 2006, 05:10 PM
can someome please tell me the player that fights w/ venus and serena when they are fighting till the end? i.e. Serena vs. Clijsters from 5-1 down to a 7-5 victory. Everyone says Serena's fight and gut etc, nuthig really about Kim just letting all them damn games go. I honestly just think these players know that the fight that Venus and Serena show @ times is very overwhelming. You have to realize that Im sure Martina had the match in the bag, but Mentally Venus and Serena are the best on the tour. That can break you down so quick and have you looking real stupid. I think Martina just realized that even if she did tie it up to 5-5 it was still going to be forever and a day before she ended up still losing. Some people just about know when its going to be over, espeically when you are playing a williams. And I heard venus hit a hot backhand DTL at 30-15 when she was closing out the match, that may have been the final confirmation for hingis.

Oh well, hingis isn't going anywhere. to know she can hang with a williams all the way to 6-4 in the third thats all she needed to make sure she can hang with these girls on the tour. I expect her to do very well at the French and US Open, (way to much power for her at wimbledon)yep. that's what happened with Davenport. after she had Venus 15-30 trying to hold serve in the third set at 6-7 and they had that 25 point rally, Davenport knew that it was over. We all knew it was over. The commentators said that that was the decisive point. When you can show that kind of game with that kind of pressure, your opponent has to know that there is nothing else they can do, except accept defeat gracefully! sounds like that is what happened today. and so it is. . .

Vut
May 4th, 2006, 05:14 PM
what a match!!!!

LucasArg
May 4th, 2006, 05:15 PM
I am really happy she won today. I wish I could've watched it. I hope she is ok for her QF match, Kuznetsova will be much tougher.

Go Venus!!! :wavey: :kiss: :hearts:

Denise4925
May 4th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Isn't that how Martina used to win against Vee? :confused:

TomTennis
May 4th, 2006, 05:24 PM
:worship: What a match. A lot of unforeced erros but im so happy Venus won!

I had to wait till just now to finish watching the match because I was out all days,so I had it recorded.

It was sooooo nerveracking, but im pleased for Venus!!! :worship: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

nouf
May 4th, 2006, 05:30 PM
hqs
http://img142.imagevenue.com/loc296/th_63560_venus.jpg (http://img142.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc296&image=63560_venus.jpg)http://img34.imagevenue.com/loc290/th_63565_venus2.jpg (http://img34.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc290&image=63565_venus2.jpg)http://img126.imagevenue.com/loc275/th_63570_venus3.jpg (http://img126.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc275&image=63570_venus3.jpg)http://img120.imagevenue.com/loc238/th_63578_venus4.jpg (http://img120.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc238&image=63578_venus4.jpg)
http://img15.imagevenue.com/loc2/th_63586_venus5.jpg (http://img15.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc2&image=63586_venus5.jpg)http://img128.imagevenue.com/loc231/th_63595_venus6.jpg (http://img128.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc231&image=63595_venus6.jpg)http://img152.imagevenue.com/loc173/th_63601_venus7.jpg (http://img152.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc173&image=63601_venus7.jpg)

Knizzle
May 4th, 2006, 05:49 PM

How ironic, but wait....that was SMART of Venus right???

She FORCED Hingis into making those errors by being so consistent. Right??? :) ;)

Dexter
May 4th, 2006, 05:53 PM
I have no idea how Martina managed to lose.

Congrats Venus.

new-york
May 4th, 2006, 06:31 PM
I really happy that Venus won. Whatever how. That's just so cool.

raquel
May 4th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Brilliant win from Venus :woohoo:

Considering it's only her 3rd match in 8 months, she did really well. Typical determination and fight - first from a set and 0-3 down and then at the end through the cramp. Well done Venus! :worship:

Piotr'ek
May 4th, 2006, 06:33 PM
what a match...i dont have any voice...i was cheering Venus so much... :)

great fight by Venus and she deserve this win sooo much...
Did you were the one who shouting " C'mon Venus" all the time ? :p

All respect in the World for Venus :)
Standing O from me to her after winning this match :angel:

Knizzle
May 4th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Knizzle, stop with your bad self before you get called a retarded venus fan :tape: :D

Congrats to Vee- up to the usual giving people bellyache:D I hope she is physically finre tomorrow, i'll even take a lost, knowing that she is 100% healthy or near it because she is proving to eb very determined to play and win:)

I'm not a Venus-only fan so I don't get grouped with the rest of ya retards, sorry Joie. :)

new-york
May 4th, 2006, 06:42 PM
I'm not a Venus-only fan so I don't get grouped with the rest of ya retards, sorry Joie. :)

I'm a Venus fan only but i hope that me neither. :p

Knizzle
erm...SJW sho does group you in that lot, ask her:lol:

She called me a retard?? Interesting. :)

santhuruu
Did you guys hear the grunting of Venus in the last two games of the match. It was soo loud but also soo elegant and it the same time soo beautiful that it makes me wanna grunt more during my tennis matches:p

hablo
May 4th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Yeah, but if it's stomach cramps...the Justine rule doesn't apply. :o
:haha:

Well done, Venus :yeah:

Martina :hug::sad:

Knizzle
May 4th, 2006, 06:49 PM
no. she has called you a venus fan, implying that you only like Vee:DOh, well she would have been wrong on both accounts. :)

Nickk
May 4th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Hingis choked it away? She was obviously not at her very best, but the way Venus played was just too intense for her to handle. Venus won because of herself and her incredible shots and not because Hingis gave it to her.

pcrtennis
May 4th, 2006, 07:09 PM
After watching highlights I remember why Venus is my favorite tennis player ever, Amazing!!

WF4EVER
May 4th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Martina admitted herself in part of her interview that she was waiting for Venus to make errors. Hasn't this woman learnt anything yet?

I thought she'd thrown this stategy out the window after it stopped working against Venus and Serena but obviously she hasn't. She had all the tools to win today against Venus, who is seriously lacking in match play and was plagued by cramps.

I thought Martina's return meant she was ready both physically and mentally. I seriously doubt she'll beat Venus ever again if not under these circumstances because they were perfect for her and she blew it big time.

Jeff
May 4th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Lots of people are saying this was a sloppy match. Of course I wasn't able to view it, but still, this is Venus' first tournament since January. Proud of her for pulling out a match like this and working hard. I guess she just really doesn't want to lose to Marti :D

As for Martina, disappointing for her if she was two points from victory. Although she did hang tough apparently the first two sets. Hopefully the remaining warm-up clay events will prepare her for the French. Good luck :D

Meesh
May 4th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Congrats Venus! I hope somebody taped it

Hingiswinsthis
May 4th, 2006, 07:59 PM
First of all, congratulations to Venus Williams with this win and she has all the rights to be elated and glad she's back playing WTA matches.

As for Hingis, SURE it is disappointing that she should've really won that match, but these matches are important to her. She needs to dissect everyone on tour this year...

I can't believe all the people that are upset at Hingis. If this kind of loss were to happen next year after having a year to get back at the thick of things, I'd be worried.

It's a step by step process for Hingis. As the famous saying goes a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. We all knew Hingis WILL and HAVE these tough losses in her come back. I'm not surprised at all that she's losing to Quality players AND pushing them to their limits. I'd give her a chance to win these types of matches next year. Not yet, not yet. Good effort from both players just like the old days...

RJWCapriati
May 4th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Excellent fighting Venus - as always :)

perseus2006
May 4th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Now if it had been JHH rather than Venus who had three times out for massages due to cramps, everyone would be calling her a cheater. Three times out should not have been allowed. To me, just another lousy early round match in lousy weather in a second rate tournament played by two unfit players. Hingis totally embarassed herself with poor play and Venus shamed herself by abusing the rules. Today, neither player demonstrated to me that they are multiple Grand Slam Champions or deserve to be treated as such.

hingis-seles
May 4th, 2006, 08:07 PM
How ironic, but wait....that was SMART of Venus right???

She FORCED Hingis into making those errors by being so consistent. Right??? :) ;)

It didn't really require her being smart. The crying in pain was enough to rattle the mentally inferior Hingis. :sad: And yes, this is professional sports not some schoolyard game. Hingis being mentally inferior means she's the lesser of the two players atleast for that particular match, so as I said: Kudos to Venus!

P.S: If Hingis waits for an opponent to make errors, she's smart but if Venus does it, it isn't. Do I have to teach you EVERY discussion rule on WTA World?! :rolleyes: :p :lol: ;)

hingis-seles
May 4th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Venus won because of herself and her incredible shots and not because Hingis gave it to her.

What match were you watching?! :confused:

hingis-seles
May 4th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Isn't that how Martina used to win against Vee? :confused:

No it wasn't. Asshat! :rolleyes:

Hahaha! I'm just messing with you. Don't take it too personally. :p :lol: ;) Hingis used her tactical acumen and genius to force Venus off-balance and MAKE errors. Ofcourse, Hingis would hit the occassional winner as well and was mentally strong enough to get the win. :devil:

hingis-seles
May 4th, 2006, 08:13 PM
C'mon. You can be a little more gracious than that, even as a hingis fan. ;) Venus played better on the big points and that's when it counts.

Oh alright. :p

Venus hung in there and won, while lesser players (such as Ms. Davenport, to quote Venus herself ;)) would have wilted. :D

Veenut
May 4th, 2006, 08:40 PM

Firstly, you go Vee!!! :dance: :woohoo: :rocker: :banana:
The odds were certainly against you in this one but when you want it badly enough you fight your way through.

BTW what became of the above mentioned bitch? He/she was one of the main persons who hated Venus guts and put so much focus on the h/h therefore maybe on a suicide watch about now. :lol:

Anyway I know there are people like TonyP who must be agony right now but I must say thanks to Martina for returning so that Vee can set the record straight. Hope they meet again with Vee in much better form in order for her to take the lead.

I hope Vee doesn't push it if she is not able to, because I miss her too much
when she is unable to play. We need at least one William at the Grand Slams.

UDACHi
May 4th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Venus. :eek: :D

This is a great victory. :worship: :bowdown:

vwfan
May 4th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Now if it had been JHH rather than Venus who had three times out for massages due to cramps, everyone would be calling her a cheater. Three times out should not have been allowed. To me, just another lousy early round match in lousy weather in a second rate tournament played by two unfit players. Hingis totally embarassed herself with poor play and Venus shamed herself by abusing the rules. Today, neither player demonstrated to me that they are multiple Grand Slam Champions or deserve to be treated as such.They don't have to demonstrate it, they have the trophies, the checks, and the places in history to prove that they are multiple Slam holders. What's your problem? Venus broke no rules and Martina didn't say anything about it, so what does her med time outs have to do with anything. She was cramping and the WTA would rather have players address problem than retire or worse, be out again on injury.

vwfan
May 4th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Oh alright. :p

Venus hung in there and won, while lesser players (such as Ms. Davenport, to quote Venus herself ;)) would have wilted. :Dthere you go. not so bad was it!

Knizzle
May 4th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Now if it had been JHH rather than Venus who had three times out for massages due to cramps, everyone would be calling her a cheater. Three times out should not have been allowed. To me, just another lousy early round match in lousy weather in a second rate tournament played by two unfit players. Hingis totally embarassed herself with poor play and Venus shamed herself by abusing the rules. Today, neither player demonstrated to me that they are multiple Grand Slam Champions or deserve to be treated as such.Ummm......you get one injury timeout for cramps, but after that you can get as much treatment as you want on the changeovers, if she was breaking rules she would have been penalized. Dumbass.

KBdoubleu
May 4th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Congratulations Venus!!! You Truly Deserve The Best

dinhd82
May 4th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Venus maintains recent dominance over Martina, even with cramps and lack of form :yeah: :bounce:

Whenever Venus is losing in a match against Martina, it's always due to a cramp, just this time Martina was too tight to close this match out in straights. And no 3 set win isn't anything near dominance. Meet Martina again at the french and Vee sorry you're DEAD!!!! :devil:

getright
May 4th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Hingis choked it away? She was obviously not at her very best, but the way Venus played was just too intense for her to handle. Venus won because of herself and her incredible shots and not because Hingis gave it to her.

:hearts:

http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/5417/21ni.gif

http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/483/10yr1.gif

Pureracket
May 4th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Whenever Venus is losing in a match against Martina, it's always due to a cramp, just this time Martina was too tight to close this match out in straights. Ya'll don't mind telling lies today. . .LOL!!!!!

Paialii
May 4th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Whenever Venus is losing in a match against Martina, it's always due to a cramp, just this time Martina was too tight to close this match out in straights. And no 3 set win isn't anything near dominance. Meet Martina again at the french and Vee sorry you're DEAD!!!! :devil:

Different match means different circumstances, so why bother bring that up?

Sure, Martina may not be as nervous, but who's to say Venus wouldn't play better? Venus at her absolute best is all-power and precision and we all found out a few years ago that Martina has a hard time handling that. Another match may mean no cramps, so who's to say Venus wouldn't have a problem beating Martina without physical problems? I mean there's just as many arguments against your statement (that Martina would beat Venus at "the french") as there are for your statement, so therefore why bring it up? There's no need to worry about a "next time."

Fact of the matter is, Venus Williams came out on top today, bad physical conditions and all.

Denise4925
May 4th, 2006, 09:14 PM
No it wasn't. Asshat! :rolleyes:

Hahaha! I'm just messing with you. Don't take it too personally. :p :lol: ;) Hingis used her tactical acumen and genius to force Venus off-balance and MAKE errors. Ofcourse, Hingis would hit the occassional winner as well and was mentally strong enough to get the win. :devil:
Yeah right, okay. But, :lol: Asshat?? What's that?? :lol:

Paialii
May 4th, 2006, 09:14 PM
I admit it: I didn't go through all of the pages of this thread.

But here's my question: is this match on MegaUpload or does anyone have a link for me to download yet? I'm dying here, LOL. :lol:

dinhd82
May 4th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Different match means different circumstances, so why bother bring that up?

Sure, Martina may not be as nervous, but who's to say Venus wouldn't play better? Venus at her absolute best is all-power and precision and we all found out a few years ago that Martina has a hard time handling that. Another match may mean no cramps, so who's to say Venus wouldn't have a problem beating Martina without physical problems? I mean there's just as many arguments against your statement (that Martina would beat Venus at "the french") as there are for your statement, so therefore why bring it up? There's no need to worry about a "next time."

Fact of the matter is, Venus Williams came out on top today, bad physical conditions and all.

No, if you actually LOOKED at their head to head, Vee never won a match with ease. Thank you. And when did Vee cramp? 1st set that Martina won? or 2nd or 3rd?

Pureracket
May 4th, 2006, 09:20 PM
No, if you actually LOOKED at their head to head, Vee never won a match with ease. Thank you. And when did Vee cramp? 1st set that Martina won? or 2nd or 3rd?Ok. . . now I see your problem. You're uninformed, but you're not aware of it. Check their match records, and you'll see the matches scores.

Paialii
May 4th, 2006, 09:23 PM
No, if you actually LOOKED at their head to head, Vee never won a match with ease. Thank you. And when did Vee cramp? 1st set that Martina won? or 2nd or 3rd?

I never said Venus has ever or will ever win easily. When I said that who's to say Venus wouldn't have a problem with beating Martina, I'm saying that who's to say Venus wouldn't be able to beat Martina when in better physical condition.

And you don't even know when Venus started cramping? If that's the case, how can you talk on this match at all? :shrug:

Justineladivine
May 4th, 2006, 09:29 PM
I saw it live and wasn't disappointed. I really felt like a time traveller hurled back to the great old days. Pity the third set was a bit of a letdown quality wise despite all the thrills and heart jolts. Nothing like two legends battling it out on a tennis court, folks.
Something else, maybe it was just me but I had that weird feeling throughout it all that both ladies picked it up where they'd left off as if they'd never been so many years since their last matchup. It was soooo intense right from the start. Pity there wasn't more warmth when they shook hands. Well I suppose, the stakes being so high in tennis careers it's simply got to be this way most of the time.

Nickk
May 4th, 2006, 09:31 PM
It's funny how them haters always try to spoil wins...

dinhd82
May 4th, 2006, 09:33 PM
I never said Venus has ever or will ever win easily. When I said that who's to say Venus wouldn't have a problem with beating Martina, I'm saying that who's to say Venus wouldn't be able to beat Martina when in better physical condition.

And you don't even know when Venus started cramping? If that's the case, how can you talk on this match at all? :shrug:

Um okay, somebody is slow.

köj-è
May 4th, 2006, 09:33 PM
oh la la.. venus rockin' baby!! :D

Justineladivine
May 4th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Venus broke no rules and Martina didn't say anything about it, so what does her med time outs have to do with anything. She was cramping and the WTA would rather have players address problem than retire or worse, be out again on injury.

I'm a 100% behind you on this. I just wish I read the same stuff from some posters and/or professional commentators when some players whom I don't need to name are involved in the same situation.

Kworb
May 4th, 2006, 09:35 PM
http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/5417/21ni.gif

http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/483/10yr1.gif
Thanks for showing us some shots to prove to everyone how Hingis choked.. notice how the ball is easily within Venus' reach, how it has no speed at all and lands halfway on the court. Hingis was playing like an amateur

dinhd82
May 4th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Ok. . . now I see your problem. You're uninformed, but you're not aware of it. Check their match records, and you'll see the matches scores.

Um okay, girl...you made me recheck their records as if I've never followed their rivalry in my life. And yeah...I'm never wrong.

Dawn Marie
May 4th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Um okay, girl...you made me recheck their records as if I've never followed their rivalry in my life. And yeah...I'm never wrong.

What was the score in that Hamburg match? I thought Vee won it in straight sets?

:inlove:
May 4th, 2006, 09:43 PM
OK I just finished watching the match which I recorded, so I am EXTREMELY late on this news! :(

But words seriously do not describe how incredibly proud I am of Venus! The commentators were really writing her off, but she proved them wrong along with the help of an EMBARRASSING display by Marti -especially in the 3rd! :eek: What a disastrous choke!!

But Vee. :worship: Hope you're not too badly injured, and good luck against Kuznetsova!!!!!!! :hearts:

Lulu.
May 4th, 2006, 09:55 PM
IF Venus wins tomorrow I see her winning the whole tournament

Infiniti2001
May 4th, 2006, 09:57 PM
What was the score in that Hamburg match? I thought Vee won it in straight sets?

7-5 6-3

Pureracket
May 4th, 2006, 10:01 PM
7-5 6-3I'm trying to think of that Zurich '99 score.

F-R-E-A-K
May 4th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Martina :sad: :sad: :hug:

Venus :D :kiss:

Infiniti2001
May 4th, 2006, 10:08 PM
I'm trying to think of that Zurich '99 score.

6-3 6-4

Pureracket
May 4th, 2006, 10:10 PM
6-3 6-4Thanks. (Just asking).

Dana Marcy
May 4th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Venus! :D :worship: Thank you girl for giving me a reason to post in General Messages. :angel: :ras: ;) These are my favorite type of Venus matches and against somebody like Hingis is even more satisfying. :bigclap:

Infiniti2001
May 4th, 2006, 10:18 PM
Thanks. (Just asking).

anytime :wavey:

Denise4925
May 4th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Venus! :D :worship: Thank you girl for giving me a reason to post in General Messages. :angel: :ras: ;) These are my favorite type of Venus matches and against somebody like Hingis is even more satisfying. :bigclap:
Hey Dana...Survivor tonight? :lol:

Andrew..
May 4th, 2006, 11:15 PM
I'm very, very concerned for Martina.

This could be the start of the end of the comeback.

crazyroberto6767
May 4th, 2006, 11:21 PM
I left for school when the match was 6-4, 3-0 for Martina :eek:. As a Hingis and Vee fan, I'm still VERY happy with this result. Great to see Venus fighting again, and hitting winners even at the end. That for one is much improvement over what we saw at the AO this year. Tough match against Sveta for Vee tomorrow, hopefully she'll be all ready physically and mentally.

I'm still taking Hingis losses in stride. Some people weren't even expecting Hingis to play higher tier tournaments until the summer hard courts. People wondered if she would make it into the top-20 by the end of the year, and she's all but there now. I honestly don't feel this sense of urgency that other Hingis fans do. 2nd match on clay in 4 years. Clay tends to make weaknesses magnified and Hingis needs to work on those, but this won't kill her or anything. Good luck in Berlin Martina :bigclap:

Ems__
May 4th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Woah, second good news of the day! Well done Venus! :worship:

Knizzle
May 4th, 2006, 11:23 PM
I'm very, very concerned for Martina.

This could be the start of the end of the comeback.

This is the same Martina that sprinted away from Davenport at IW 6-1 right?? What does that mean for Big Lindsay then?? :tape:

hotandspicey
May 4th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Hell of a surprise! Last I saw following the scores, Vee was down a set and 2 breaks.:eek: Just about chucked it up as a loss! :o So happy to see she pulled it off! :yeah: :banana:

Andrew..
May 5th, 2006, 12:18 AM
This is the same Martina that sprinted away from Davenport at IW 6-1 right?? What does that mean for Big Lindsay then?? :tape:
Because Lindsay has everything to do with this thread. :retard:

I'm sorry, I forgot. GO QUEEN VEEZZ~~~ is the only thing that belongs in this thread.

Veritas
May 5th, 2006, 12:24 AM
I think it's more amazing Venus won because it's only her 2nd match of the year, even though it's nearly midway through the season. So congrats to her for fighting it out.

Maybe it's the fact Martina was over the other side of the net brought out the fighting spirit in Venus. Same when she's up against Lindsay as well. It's the old-school champion league that has the most competition.

The one good thing I hope Martina can take away from this match is that she knew she had chances and needs to close them out. No point in working up a sizeable lead, only to let it slip through her racquet.

I'm still majorly pissed Martina lost :fiery:

moon
May 5th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Just like old times. :D

Rocketta
May 5th, 2006, 12:33 AM
I'm sorry, I forgot. GO QUEEN VEEZZ~~~ is the only thing that belongs in this thread.

wow, so you can learn. :yeah:

Havok
May 5th, 2006, 12:46 AM
Martina :rolleyes:. What a fucking choke!

Venus, great fight though :yeah:. But please stop getting injured all the friggin time :scared:.

GogoGirl
May 5th, 2006, 12:47 AM
Hey All,

I think it is natural for all players to fight to the best of their ability for each point - game and etc. Venus fought thru pain towards the end. Up front - she knew she was fighting some things, and with rust being one. Yet - she survived the test. She wanted that win. i still say that there are zilch players that put the fear in Venus. Martina did at one time though.

Martina knew she should have bore down at 5/4 - 30/0, in the second. She admits as much in the piece below. Yet - Venus had something to say about that.

These two still can play some intense tennis - and one could cut the tension w/a knife from the way it's been reported. None can win them all - so needless to say - Martina has nothing to hang her head about. For the most part - she gave a great effort and almost won it.

"WAY TO 'GET UP - STAND UP' VENUS - LIKE BOB MARLEY USED TO SING" "GO ALL THE WAY"

'Amazing' Venus stuns Hingis
From correspondents in Warsaw, Poland
05may06
VENUS Williams has earned an unlikely 4-6 7-5 6-4 victory over Martina Hingis to reach the quarter-finals of the Warsaw Open.

The seventh-seeded American was staring at defeat as Hingis led 5-4 in the second set and came within two points of victory.

But Williams, playing only her third match of the year, took it to a final set and then overcame a severe case of cramps to sneak through.

"I guess I said that prayer just in time," said Wimbledon champion Williams.

"It was just crazy. It was intense. Even I wouldn't expect that of myself. Each and every win is nice. This is obviously an amazing moment. It's definitely a wonderful sign, this early in my return.

"I just started going for more shots. A lot of them I missed, but I got to make a lot of them too. I saw no reason to give up. I saw only a reason to continue."

Hingis failed to take advantage of her opponent's struggle, which began after Williams had broken to lead 1-0 in the third set.

Down 15-40, Williams held up play as she flexed her right leg and, after dropping her serve, called for the trainer. She was treated for cramps in her entire lower body at 1-1, after having broken again to lead 2-1, and at 3-2.

"When I had the first injury time-out I thought hopefully I could still move. I definitely wanted to finish the match," said Williams.

"I just feel that every single game and every single shot is so important to me right now as far as being back on tour and getting back in the swing of things.

"It's a match that feels like I should have lost at the end. It was definitely an experience, but I'm elated."

Hingis admitted that she relaxed after building a 3-0 second set lead, and she should have pressed Williams more in the third.

"I was up a set and 3-0 and relaxed too early," said the Swiss former world No.1.

"Then in the third you just want to make her run and don't miss, but you should be more aggressive and make more out of it. Sometimes I was just hoping for her to miss.

"All I can do is practise now. I have three days to recover for Berlin and I definitely have to hit a lot of balls, because on clay it feels like it's twice as much work as on hard courts. You've just got to dig in deep."

In other matches, Serbia's Ana Ivanovic claimed her first victory over Patty Schnyder in in five attempts, upsetting the Swiss No.2 seed 6-3 6-2, but fourth seeded Russian Svetlana Kuznetsova had a comfortable win over Bulgaria's Tsvetana Pironkova, winning 6-3 6-1.

http://townsvillebulletin.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7034,19033144%255E23216,00.html

Shoulderpova
May 5th, 2006, 01:13 AM
Venus :bowdown:

Cat's Pajamas
May 5th, 2006, 01:15 AM
does anyone know how many winners she hit?