PDA

View Full Version : Would you support a women's Senior Tour idea?

Jennifer North
May 4th, 2006, 01:29 AM
some women, say it Steffie, Willies, Seles and others, would hardly accept the idea of playing competitive tennis after retirement... but I can see some other ones, like Capriati, Navi, Novotna and Mary Joe maybe, who would /are still very much involved in tennis after their glory days on the tour...

Would you support an idea of having a ladies Senior Tour the way the men have today? Would you watch it on TV or pay for tickets if in town?

Zauber
May 4th, 2006, 01:37 AM
no

ZAK
May 4th, 2006, 01:42 AM
I'd watch it on TV. I'm not sure how the men's one works, but I think it should be limited to a few tournaments

CrossCourt~Rally
May 4th, 2006, 01:43 AM
Yeah...i think it would be fun to watch the old gals play again... :worship: :bounce:

borisy
May 4th, 2006, 01:58 AM
Only if they accept to wear fashinable tennis clothes... Graf in Maria's pregnancy dress and Navratilova in Kirilenko's Stella M. dress.

QUEENLINDSAY
May 4th, 2006, 02:00 AM
I dont like the idea of seniors tour men nor women.

Johny Mac, your days are gone, get over it!

Foot_Fault
May 4th, 2006, 02:08 AM
People don't even support the regular tour!! SENIOR! PUH-LEASE

QUEENLINDSAY
May 4th, 2006, 02:09 AM
some players just want another shot at stardom!

DutchieGirl
May 4th, 2006, 02:13 AM
Only if they accept to wear fashinable tennis clothes... Graf in Maria's pregnancy dress and Navratilova in Kirilenko's Stella M. dress.

*cough* I thought you said FASHIONABLE *cough* :p

As for the idea - sure I'd watch! :D

CrossCourt~Rally
May 4th, 2006, 02:17 AM
some players just want another shot at stardom!

Tracy Austin :devil: :kiss:

Randy H
May 4th, 2006, 02:18 AM
When you see some of them in the Legend's doubles, I can't help but feel a bit sad for some because they obviously haven't maintained their tennis through the years and honestly look like club players. Not all of them, but some. I don't think there is anything wrong with that (since they have new lives after tennis presumeably), but I think some people don't take seeing people past their glory days so well. I think though that if people can take it for what it is (older legends just having some fun and enjoying the game for their fans) then I think that's great and I would be happy to support it and see it. I enjoy tennis on all levels, whether it be pros, or even watching people play a recreational match at a club. I am not sure if it would work alone though, I think it would be better off as a joint tour with the mens in order to help draw more attention for both.

Brian Stewart
May 4th, 2006, 10:42 AM
I'd watch a senior tour. It should be mostly recent retirees, so the tennis would be as close to tour level as possible (although some more distant retirees, if in shape, can join too). And I'd like to see an actual tour, with a series of tournaments over the year. And negotiate with the slams to make their seniors events a part of this tour, much like the regular slam events fit in with the regular tour.

It would be nice to see a combined seniors tour, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that one. And failing that, the individual tours could be held in conjunction with existing regular tour events (Tier 3 and 4 on the WTA, and whatever they call the equivalent on the ATP.) The senior matches could fill in the late schedule, to give the fans extra value for their tickets, and save the regular tour players from having to play, say, doubles late at night, then come back the next day.

They should get their own ranking system, and hopefully their own sponsors. (Or perhaps some extra contributions from existing tour sponsors.)

Players like Sabatini, Novotna, Date, Sanchez-V, Tauziat, Zvereva, et al, can no longer challenge for the regular slam singles titles, but can still produce some good tennis.

Andy.
May 4th, 2006, 11:55 AM
I would love it

MissJessou
May 4th, 2006, 02:34 PM
That could be nice ;)

Tennisballova
May 4th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Yeah...i think it would be fun to watch the old gals play again... :worship: :bounce:

Yeah me too!

Helen Lawson
May 4th, 2006, 02:53 PM
I'd be all over it.

AsGoodAsNew
May 4th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Absolutely! Why not? Some of us love the retired players/soon to be retired players more than several of the new ones!