PDA

View Full Version : Serena says she likely won't return until end of summer

Vaidisova
May 3rd, 2006, 08:13 PM
Serena Williams acknowledged Wednesday that she is taking a hiatus from women's tennis while she recovers from a chronic knee injury.

She likely will miss the next two Grand Slam tournaments, this month's French Open and Wimbledon in June.

"I know that there has been a lot of public speculation about me and my playing career. I want everyone, and in particular all of my fans who have meant so much to me throughout my career, to know that I will be back on the tennis court and that I fully intend to be competing on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour in the coming months," Williams said in a statement.

"These past months have been very frustrating for me personally, as I have had to take this time off to fully mend from a chronic knee injury. What I can tell you today based on what I am being told by my doctors is that I should be in a position to be playing again by the end of this summer. I want to thank all of those who have supported me during these difficult months and to let you know that I'm more excited than ever to resume my playing career as soon as my body is ready."

The seven-time Grand Slam winner hasn't played since losing in the third round of the Australian Open in January. She has been hampered by left ankle and knee problems for months and has played only 31 matches since the beginning of 2005.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=2431128&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

tennisrox
May 3rd, 2006, 08:15 PM
Good to hear it from the horses mouth, finally! :yeah:

Ferosh
May 3rd, 2006, 08:15 PM
Now all these other speculations threads can end!

SvetaPleaseWin.
May 3rd, 2006, 08:18 PM
as long as she comes back fit and healthy i'm happy :D

good to see her making the right decision and not coming back too soon!

Vaidisova
May 3rd, 2006, 08:22 PM
I'm glad she finally told us something. End of summer is such long time away though! :(

tennisjunky
May 3rd, 2006, 08:22 PM
glad to hear from serena. knew all along her being away was injury related and not her just trying to get into shape. people always act like they know whats going on when in fact they dont have a clue. so many negative threads saying shes to busy with other things and not even believing there was a real reason for serena to be sitting out. sucks for me and all the other serena fans who miss her so much, but at least we have an idea when to expect her. cant wait to see her.

MH0861
May 3rd, 2006, 08:24 PM
Hopefully she'll be able to be in the US Open mix.

Drake1980
May 3rd, 2006, 08:25 PM
would be nice to see her at the US Open!!

santhuruu
May 3rd, 2006, 08:25 PM
I think she is going to return next year and that she takes this whole year off, which I think could be the best so that she can fully recover and play a full season next year. If the injury is not over by next year, then I really don't know what to say!

Libertango
May 3rd, 2006, 08:28 PM
At least she's honest and open now....was getting a little sick of the silent treatment and withdrawls.....

Good luck Serena, whenever you comeback, I'll be waiting.....:kiss: :angel:

Vacant
May 3rd, 2006, 08:30 PM
Its sad news in terms of not seeing her play for a while.

But its good that she let us know.

Get well soon. :hug:

Kabezya
May 3rd, 2006, 08:32 PM
as long as she comes back fit and healthy i'm happy :D

good to see her making the right decision and not coming back too soon!

As much as I would love to see Serena on the court it has to be in her best condition. The right decision by far that she could make.

Stamp Paid
May 3rd, 2006, 08:34 PM
Well at least theres a timetable for her return. :D

Venus+Serena#1fan
May 3rd, 2006, 08:35 PM
Sad to hear, for some reason I thought she might suprise and show up at Berlin.
I just hope that when she does come back, maybe around CAnada, LA that she is fully ready.

Her last comebacks from the knee injury have been very poor of late. Except the looong one where she came back in Miami 04 where she won, After Australia 05 it hasn't been the same SErena on court.
Here's to Rena coming back STRONG, fit, and playing her aggressive game!

In the meantime I'll just have to root for Vee.

Meesh
May 3rd, 2006, 08:43 PM
Finally we heard from Serena.

now we all debate on when the end of summer is? US Open? LA? New Haven? Beiging?

Hots4Safin
May 3rd, 2006, 08:44 PM
well, that leaves Venus from now until USO to be the shining Williams...let's hope she's up for the challenge.

WF4EVER
May 3rd, 2006, 08:44 PM
When is the end of summer?

I seriously doubt Serena will be back on a court before 2007, if ever.

I'm glad she has finally made a statement about her status. Obviously now that Venus is back on court all attention would be focused on her so it's goo, IMO, that she has said something to stave off the barrage of questions likely to follow at every turn.

Meesh
May 3rd, 2006, 08:45 PM

I'm glad you asked:

VERNAL EQUINOX.....(SPRING) MAR 20 2006 126 PM EST - 1826 UTC

SUMMER SOLSTICE....(SUMMER) JUN 21 2006 726 AM EST - 1226 UTC

AUTUMNAL EQUINOX...(FALL) SEP 22 2006 1103 PM EST - 0403 UTC SEP 23

WINTER SOLSTICE....(WINTER) DEC 21 2006 722 PM EST - 0022 UTC DEC 22

Couver
May 3rd, 2006, 08:51 PM
Get well soon Serena :kiss:

I'm glad she's taken the time off. There's nothing worse than pushing and making that injury worse.

The Summer can't come fast enough though.

Denise4925
May 3rd, 2006, 09:00 PM
Serena, get well, get fit and get ready. We'll be waiting. :wavey:

faste5683
May 3rd, 2006, 09:08 PM
I'm glad you asked:

:lol:

That's funny AND educational!

:wavey:

VeeDaQueen
May 3rd, 2006, 09:08 PM
i can't believe she'll miss Wimbledon

Nickk
May 3rd, 2006, 09:09 PM
I think she just wants to wait until she gets a special ranking, so she doesn't have to play the big tournaments being unseeded.

TonyP
May 3rd, 2006, 09:10 PM
And I suppose all those who bad mouthed Larry Scott and said he doesn't know what he is talking about will sort of reevaluate their snap judgements.

vogus
May 3rd, 2006, 09:10 PM

I seriously doubt Serena will be back on a court before 2007, if ever.

Serena never plays much in the fall season anyway so this is like saying she'll return and play only one event, the USO. Doesn't make sense from a scheduling point of view. I still think she'll either return by Wimby, or not at all this year.

V-MAC
May 3rd, 2006, 09:12 PM
well, that leaves Venus from now until USO to be the shining Williams...let's hope she's up for the challenge.

yep up to Venus to keep the Williams' flag flying high in the tennis world :)

V-MAC
May 3rd, 2006, 09:14 PM

I know, Wimbledon without Serena is like strawberries without cream :(

thelittlestelf
May 3rd, 2006, 09:15 PM
It's so nice to hear from Serena herself :).

I'm sad she's missing wimbledon :(, but however long it takes for her to get back into championship form is fine with me!

Good luck Serena :hearts:

Vacant
May 3rd, 2006, 09:20 PM
I think she just wants to wait until she gets a special ranking, so she doesn't have to play the big tournaments being unseeded.

She will get a special ranking, but that only gets you into tournaments.

She wont be seeded on her special ranking. She's going to be unseeded until she is ranked high enough.

hablo
May 3rd, 2006, 09:23 PM
I'm glad you asked:

:lol:

I'm glad Serena is making decisions which are best for her. Come back healthy and fit.

Summer Snow
May 3rd, 2006, 09:25 PM
:rolleyes:

SJW
May 3rd, 2006, 09:25 PM
i hope that she made an error and meant the beginning of summer.
Wimbledon without Serena Williams is not worth attending.

darrinbaker00
May 3rd, 2006, 09:26 PM
I know, Wimbledon without Serena is like strawberries without cream :(
That's a bad analogy. I had strawberries with cream once, and they came up just as quickly as they went down. :eek:

winone23
May 3rd, 2006, 09:29 PM
Serena, can well soon!

Sanneriet
May 3rd, 2006, 09:30 PM
That's a bad analogy. I had strawberries with cream once, and they came up just as quickly as they went down. :eek:

Thats funny. I always wondered why the English insist on ruining the taste of strawberries by drowning them in cream.

On the Serena front, I don't really find the statement all that illuminating, except that she won't be back til after Wimbledon (at least it seems to me the end of summer would mean late August for an American).

vogus
May 3rd, 2006, 09:32 PM

i was going to say, this poster has probably never eaten strawberries... we need to summon the bad analogy police for this one.

V-MAC
May 3rd, 2006, 09:37 PM
i was going to say, this poster has probably never eaten strawberries... we need to summon the bad analogy police for this one.

:eek: :shrug: looks like the folks at Wimbledon wouldn't be making much money out of ye lot then :lol:

!<blocparty>!
May 3rd, 2006, 09:46 PM
I don't get why she doesn't aim to be fit for Wimbledon, or at least give us some hope.

Dasha_
May 3rd, 2006, 09:58 PM
Serena, I will wait for you. And the game of tennis will also wait. And it will not be that interesting.

I would give you my knee, only if I could, really. Love you, girl.

GET WELL AND COME BACK!!!

Pureracket
May 3rd, 2006, 09:59 PM
I don't get why she doesn't aim to be fit for Wimbledon, or at least give us some hope.bloc,
How are you?

!<blocparty>!
May 3rd, 2006, 10:01 PM
bloc,
How are you?

What.

Pureracket
May 3rd, 2006, 10:07 PM
What.Just trying to see more of your avatar.:drool:

Brooklyn90
May 3rd, 2006, 10:43 PM
wow, im really surprised that she will be missing that much, but anywasy hope u get well soon

Rocketta
May 3rd, 2006, 10:44 PM
Do what you have to do Serena to come back... Healthy, Wealthy and Wise! :wavey:

Foot_Fault
May 3rd, 2006, 11:17 PM
Get well Serena, and hopefully Venus can hold down the FORT!

Martian Willow
May 3rd, 2006, 11:23 PM
Is her 'chronic' knee injury anything like Anna's 'chronic' back injury? :)

Pureracket
May 3rd, 2006, 11:26 PM
Is her 'chronic' knee injury anything like Anna's 'chronic' back injury? :)I was wondering when, sweet, sweet Catherine would show up in this thread about Serena. . . .LOL!

tennisjunky
May 3rd, 2006, 11:27 PM
Is her 'chronic' knee injury anything like Anna's 'chronic' back injury? :)not sure, but 'chronic' injuries are the worse. they say once you have major surgery you're never the same again. looks like serena's knee is her biggest threat to never winning another slam again. shes been having issues with her knees more than half of her career. think she'll come back, but afraid that if she has anymore setbacks after her return she may call it quits. hope the time off helps her knee to fully heal.

Martian Willow
May 3rd, 2006, 11:27 PM
I was wondering when, sweet, sweet Catherine would show up in this thread about Serena. . . .LOL!

I expect you were, yes. :)

CrossCourt~Rally
May 3rd, 2006, 11:30 PM
See ya at the Open Serena :D :bounce:

!<blocparty>!
May 3rd, 2006, 11:31 PM
I expect you were, yes. :)

You made 6000 posts! :D

RVD
May 3rd, 2006, 11:36 PM
Serena Williams acknowledged Wednesday that she is taking a hiatus from women's tennis while she recovers from a chronic knee injury.

She likely will miss the next two Grand Slam tournaments, this month's French Open and Wimbledon in June.

"I know that there has been a lot of public speculation about me and my playing career. I want everyone, and in particular all of my fans who have meant so much to me throughout my career, to know that I will be back on the tennis court and that I fully intend to be competing on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour in the coming months," Williams said in a statement.

"These past months have been very frustrating for me personally, as I have had to take this time off to fully mend from a chronic knee injury. What I can tell you today based on what I am being told by my doctors is that I should be in a position to be playing again by the end of this summer. I want to thank all of those who have supported me during these difficult months and to let you know that I'm more excited than ever to resume my playing career as soon as my body is ready."

The seven-time Grand Slam winner hasn't played since losing in the third round of the Australian Open in January. She has been hampered by left ankle and knee problems for months and has played only 31 matches since the beginning of 2005.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=2431128&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlinesExcellent decision Serena. I've been saying for some time now that she should take time off from tennis. Even though the decision was based on health issues, it still serves the same purpose.
So take your time and get well and remain motivated Serena. And your fans will hold it it down for ya. :worship: :bounce: :cool:

RVD
May 3rd, 2006, 11:40 PM
I was wondering when, sweet, sweet Catherine would show up in this thread about Serena. . . .LOL!For every 2 million that love Serena, there's always a minimum of 2 runts of the fan litter following. :lol: Where is Julia anyway? :tape:

meyerpl
May 4th, 2006, 12:12 AM
i hope that she made an error and meant the beginning of summer.
Wimbledon without Serena Williams is not worth attending.

So, in Wimbledon's 128 year history, 121 of those years weren't worth attending? :lol:

I hope she can come back strong in '07. It isn't any fun watching a player who was once so amazing struggle as she has in recent months. Best wishes to her!

vettipooh
May 4th, 2006, 12:19 AM
Wise decision by Serena. She knows best concerning her injuries. I'll be patient until she returns. Here's wishing her a complete recovery! :yeah:

SJW
May 4th, 2006, 12:35 AM
So, in Wimbledon's 128 year history, 121 of those years weren't worth attending? :lol:

I hope she can come back strong in '07. It isn't any fun watching a player who was once so amazing struggle as she has in recent months. Best wishes to her!

i was being silly :p
i'll probably still go but it won't be as fun. she's a hoot.

Diesel
May 4th, 2006, 12:40 AM
Good decision, the right thing at this point.

harloo
May 4th, 2006, 12:45 AM
The end of summer?:sad: :sad: Oh well, I really miss Serena on the court these days. Glad Venus is playing though.:bounce: :wavey:

meyerpl
May 4th, 2006, 12:50 AM
i was being silly :p
i'll probably still go but it won't be as fun. she's a hoot.
I know, I was just joshing you. I know how you feel too. As long as you have a favorite player, no tournament is nearly as exciting without her.

Jennifer North
May 4th, 2006, 12:53 AM
And I suppose all those who bad mouthed Larry Scott and said he doesn't know what he is talking about will sort of reevaluate their snap judgements.

you expect too much from the most confrontational and aggressive fan base of tennis history :o ...

Dawn Marie
May 4th, 2006, 12:59 AM
you expect too much from the most confrontational and aggressive fan base of tennis history :o ...

Child please. That ole cliche is so bushwacked. When a certain sect has their opinions they're regarded as CONFRONTATIONAL and yet when other certain groups are opinionated it's just that, an OPINION. Get used to black folks being just as outspoken as yourself!

Larry Scott is a DICK. He don't know Dick and he never will know DICK regarding the women who play in the wta tour.

tennisboi
May 4th, 2006, 01:01 AM
IMO she's doing the right thing

SAEKeithSerena
May 4th, 2006, 01:09 AM

i can't either this breaks my heart:rolleyes:

and i just can't believe this injury is THAT bad that she has to miss almost 2 years, but whatever, i'm just sick of it

njnetswill
May 4th, 2006, 01:39 AM
Is her knee really THAT bad? :unsure:

Zauber
May 4th, 2006, 01:43 AM
Her biggest injury is
her big budd

vettipooh
May 4th, 2006, 02:10 AM
Her biggest injury is
her big budd
And your biggest handicap is????:tape:

Diesel
May 4th, 2006, 02:17 AM
and i just can't believe this injury is THAT bad that she has to miss almost 2 years, but whatever, i'm just sick of it

:scratch: weren't some asking that Serena make her intentions clear and known {especially for her fans}? Shouldn't things be settled now?

Rocketta
May 4th, 2006, 02:28 AM
:scratch: weren't some asking that Serena make her intentions clear and known {especially for her fans}? Shouldn't things be settled now?

u didn't really think it was about knowing when she's coming back did you? :lol:

no, it was about her coming back now....:shrug:

Pureracket
May 4th, 2006, 02:29 AM
you expect too much from the most confrontational and aggressive fan base of tennis history :o ...Yet it continues to try to get the attention from the most confrontational and aggressive fan base of tennis history. Methinks it might be a little more aggressive than it thinks.

Stamp Paid
May 4th, 2006, 02:37 AM
I don't get why she doesn't aim to be fit for Wimbledon, or at least give us some hope.

LMAO Hope for what??

Martian Stacey
May 4th, 2006, 02:38 AM
Wasn't expecting her to be out for that long, but i'm glad she has finally said something about her injuries :)

Diesel
May 4th, 2006, 02:49 AM
u didn't really think it was about knowing when she's coming back did you? :lol:

no, it was about her coming back now....:shrug:

I was hoping some would be true to their words of just knowing :lol:

JoJoCircus
May 4th, 2006, 02:58 AM

One of my first thoughts when I saw this was how many people acussed him of not knowing shit and running his mouth.

drake3781
May 4th, 2006, 03:51 AM
Great to hear a definitive announcement - at least through summer - from Serena. Best wishes.

Rocketta
May 4th, 2006, 04:11 AM
I was hoping some would be true to their words of just knowing :lol:

:lol: Ah, hope springs eternal? :unsure: :lol:

Lulu.
May 4th, 2006, 04:32 AM
I think she will return at Wimbledon. I cant see her missing it this year but we'll see

Williams Rulez
May 4th, 2006, 04:37 AM
wow... that's a long long time... but well, i hope she returns fully fit, ready to kick some butt!

morningglory
May 4th, 2006, 05:22 AM
I can't believe Serena doesn't wanna play wimby.... :sad: I was sure that for whatever reason she'd find a way to play there...

MrSerenaWilliams
May 4th, 2006, 06:52 AM
I'm glad to finally hear it from her! Take your time Ree...win 7 more SLAMS! U can do it baby girl!

!<blocparty>!
May 4th, 2006, 08:43 AM
LMAO Hope for what??

Hope that she's going to TRY and be ready for it, so my fellow stalker has an ultimate fave to stalk.

AsGoodAsNew
May 4th, 2006, 09:03 AM
The door is now wide open for venus to defend her Wimbly title - no excuses not to!

Maria Croft
May 4th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Good to finally hear something from her, hope to see her back on court this year again :yeah:

Slumpsova
May 4th, 2006, 12:00 PM

special ranking is worthless. her ranking after Australian Open is round #40 which means it can't get her in to MD of Tier II. BTW i think what she need is a lot of WCs.

Mother_Marjorie
May 4th, 2006, 07:05 PM
On March 30th, the Sun-Sentinel reported: "Doctors have given medical clearances for Venus and Serena Williams to resume practicing, according to a source.

The sisters are expected to return to the court in the next two or three days and are hopeful of rejoining the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour for the Family Circle Cup April 10-16."

tommystar
May 4th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Commentator on Eurosport said during the Venus-Hingis match Serena might be back at Istambul...

Rub
May 5th, 2006, 03:13 AM
finally from her... that's nice...

Chance
May 5th, 2006, 11:13 AM
It's nice to read a statement directly from Serena.

It's been so long since we've seen the real Serena, I'm sure when Serena comes back she will be ready!

The Daviator
May 5th, 2006, 11:33 AM
It's sad that Serena won't be a part of RG or Wimbledon, especially Wimbledon as I believe she hasn't missed that event since 98/99 which is incredible for Serena what with all her injuries, maybe someone can correct me on that, but atleast she'll be back this year...

I hope she sticks to her word, and we see her before NY...

BigBabeTENNIS
May 5th, 2006, 11:56 AM
get well soon serena

Denise4925
May 8th, 2006, 11:20 PM
On March 30th, the Sun-Sentinel reported: "Doctors have given medical clearances for Venus and Serena Williams to resume practicing, according to a source.

The sisters are expected to return to the court in the next two or three days and are hopeful of rejoining the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour for the Family Circle Cup April 10-16."
Maybe the doctors were wrong. Or maybe she did something to it during practice. Who knows? :shrug:

MrSerenaWilliams
May 8th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Commentator on Eurosport said during the Venus-Hingis match Serena might be back at Istambul...
if she's healthy enough to do that....I would weep tears of joy! But I mean, only SHE knows what's best for HER, so....I mean, I'd rather wait till Aug or Sept. for a healthy, fit, motivated Serena that have a pressured, injured Serena back in May

iWill
May 9th, 2006, 01:13 AM
I'm happy as long as she is resting and getting in shape and back to the Serena we all know and love!

VeeReeDavJCap81
May 9th, 2006, 01:29 AM
I miss this woman so much :sad:

grape_slushees
May 9th, 2006, 01:32 AM
Well at least now we know that she plans to come back. I can't wait till she gets back on a court.