PDA

View Full Version : Venus & Martina - Who NEEDS this win more?

zzachtan
May 3rd, 2006, 05:11 PM
Many threads are on-going discussions of who will win and such. My question though, is who NEEDS this win more at the current point in their careers?

Martina, while having much success since her comeback, havent had a tournament win. She lost pretty much most of her rematches with quality players. Havent made a final since Tokyo.

Venus - We all know the story, injuries and such has made her 2005 Wimbledon win her last good result.

Paneru
May 3rd, 2006, 05:12 PM
Gonna analyze this from
every damn angle huh? :lol:

So glad that it'll be here within 24hrs.
as to not have to suffer these endless topics. ;)

zzachtan
May 3rd, 2006, 05:14 PM
Gonna analyze this from

Well, its people like you who support these endless topics started by people like me right? :lol:

squig2k
venus i think, she needs to get back winning and dominating
martina though will obviously benefit from a win, showing she can beat former no1s and top 10s again

Foot_Fault
It's not about who need it, but who want it More. And we'll see that Tomorrow. I don't question either one of their desire. But if they are both ON, it's gonna be a good match. If Vee is off at the least, it will be a tuff day.

Vacant
May 3rd, 2006, 05:15 PM
Gonna analyze this from

Wrong.

There'll be endless topics about the result too. :lol:

Anyway, I dont think either needs it more right now. If any, Venus, just so she has another match under her belt this year. But whoever loses, they're going out to a champion, so they can hold their head high in defeat.

ezekiel
May 3rd, 2006, 05:16 PM
I am neutral but I think Venus needs this win more which would make her loss more intolerable ;)

V-MAC
May 3rd, 2006, 05:20 PM
Wrong.

Anyway, I dont think either needs it more right now. If any, Venus, just so she has another match under her belt this year. But whoever loses, they're going out to a champion, so they can hold their head high in defeat.

Nicely put ;)

darrinbaker00
May 3rd, 2006, 05:28 PM
From a purely statistical standpoint, Venus needs it more. She's behind 9-10 head-to-head.

new-york
May 3rd, 2006, 05:29 PM
Venus needs a 10-10.

Paneru
May 3rd, 2006, 05:30 PM
Wrong.

Ture. :tape:

No.1Hingis
May 3rd, 2006, 05:39 PM
Both. 50% 50%.. domanation is the big deal here.. Im sure both want it so much.. Will see tomorrow how converte it..

Martina: Could be second early out.. since she back.. (Maimi, Warsaw)

Venus: Second early out.. this year.. (AO, Warsaw)

santhuruu
May 3rd, 2006, 06:15 PM
Venus!!!

Krystell
May 3rd, 2006, 06:19 PM
Many threads are on-going discussions of who will win and such. My question though, is who NEEDS this win more at the current point in their careers?

Martina, while having much success since her comeback, havent had a tournament win. She lost pretty much most of her rematches with quality players. Havent made a final since Tokyo.

Venus - We all know the story, injuries and such has made her 2005 Wimbledon win her last good result.

They both need it

venus_rulez
May 3rd, 2006, 06:21 PM
Martina needs this win more. As evidenced by wimbledon '05, Venus does not necessarily need to have a lot of confidence to win. Hingis is still in her comeback. If manages to lose to a Williams' sister, especially with Venus barely having played since September, it'll cause serious doubts in her mind, just like before she took a break.

SAEKeithSerena
May 3rd, 2006, 06:36 PM
Venus obvi

lizchris
May 3rd, 2006, 07:05 PM
Martina because Venus at least has a grand slam in the past year.

UDACHi
May 3rd, 2006, 07:19 PM
Martina's had good results this season, Venus hasn't. Venus trails H2H.

Duh.

alfonsojose
May 3rd, 2006, 07:28 PM
I'd stick with the rankings. Even with the AO loss, Venus is a reigning GS champ. Martina is the outsider here :shrug:

darrinbaker00
May 3rd, 2006, 07:32 PM
I'd stick with the rankings. Even with the AO loss, Venus is a reigning GS champ. Martina is the outsider here :shrug:
With a 1-1 record this year, you could make a case for Venus being the outsider. ;)

When, if ever, has a second-round match of a Tier II generated so much buzz? This is beyond cool! :cool:

Billabong
May 3rd, 2006, 07:35 PM
Definitely Martina, she lost to Venus 6 of the last 8 times they played, so she needs to have the confidence that she can still beat the Williams sisters after her comeback:)

PLP
May 3rd, 2006, 07:49 PM
Yes! I think Martina still has more to prove than Venus and she will need to win at least 1 tournament this year for her own mental strength and self belief. She has come close but I just think it will happen sooner than later. Venus can walk on a grass court and most people will consider her the fav, and even if others are doubtful of her ability she isn't...Martina needs it more>P

cartmancop
May 3rd, 2006, 08:03 PM
I think Venus needs this. Martina has had some success this year. Vee hasn't had a chance to really do anything...

vwfan
May 3rd, 2006, 09:02 PM
Venus needs it to get more match play.
Hingis needs it to believe that she can compete again.
Anytime any top player beats the Williams sisters, its life and career changing: Henin after cheating to beat Serena in the RF semi-final, Davenport after beating Venus at San Diego, Clisters after beating Venus in San Diego final.
After beating a Williams, they all think that they can fly. . . :lol:

Denise4925
May 3rd, 2006, 09:22 PM
Venus needs it to get more match play.
Hingis needs it to believe that she can compete again.
Anytime any top player beats the Williams sisters, its life and career changing: Henin after cheating to beat Serena in the RF semi-final, Davenport after beating Venus at San Diego, Clisters after beating Venus in San Diego final.
After beating a Williams, they all think that they can fly. . . :lol:
:lol:

I think they both need it equally for different reasons. Venus for the H2H tie and for her own general pleasure of beating Martina and Martina for being able to come back and beat a WS after not being able to for so long before her semi-retirement.

Volcana
May 3rd, 2006, 09:39 PM
I don't think either of them need it. In either case, the loser knows they lost to a good player. If Venus wins, she knows it isn't the 2000 vintage Hingis. If Hingis wins, it's Venus' 2nd match after three months off the tour injured, and only her third match in six months. When you've played as many times as they have, I don't think the winner even gains a psychological edge.

What I think WILL happen is that there will be one vintage point where both players will smile, because it'll be like the clock turned back five years.

Havok
May 3rd, 2006, 10:29 PM
Neither of them really need it, but I think both really want this win just as bad as the other one does. I'm sure Hingis wouldn't mind keeping the H2H in her advantage and continue her incredible play and consistency this year, while Venus would want to even it out and get as many matches in as possible before Roland Garros.

kiwifan
May 3rd, 2006, 11:11 PM
I don't think either really needs this win all that much.

Too many slams between them for a non-slam loss to have much meaning, beyond the week of the event. :shrug:

tennisbum79
May 3rd, 2006, 11:20 PM
No brainer.

Venus needs it more than Martina.

Martina has already accomplished her goal fo coming back and being competitive.
Venus, bt constrast, is an unknown quantity at this point.
She need to re-establish herself.

This is not just a match against Martina, this is a match to gage where Venus is.
All of the other top players and palyers just outside the top 10 will be watching and taking notes.

While a win would be bonus and boost for Martina, Venus win is expected.
A Venus loss would not be a god thing.

meyerpl
May 3rd, 2006, 11:27 PM
They're both players who have nothing left to prove in a historical sense, yet a great deal to prove at the moment. My heart is with Venus in this one.

zzachtan
May 4th, 2006, 12:27 AM
What I think WILL happen is that there will be one vintage point where both players will smile, because it'll be like the clock turned back five years.

I can really picture this happening. :) It would be a point where both players run side to side, up and down, with martina playing a dropshot and venus finally hitting a winner cross-court. :devil:

spencercarlos
May 4th, 2006, 12:50 AM
Martina needs this win more. As evidenced by wimbledon '05, Venus does not necessarily need to have a lot of confidence to win. Hingis is still in her comeback. If manages to lose to a Williams' sister, especially with Venus barely having played since September, it'll cause serious doubts in her mind, just like before she took a break.
:lol:
You sound like Martina HAS TO beat Venus :lol:
Sorry Mr. But Venus will play against a player that had been retired for years, plus Venus is a grand slam champion from the past year, if Venus loses to Hingis, will create a lot more comments and doubts about her play than if Venus wins. Venus is the higher ranked player, she is the defending Champion at Wimbledon, and is expected to beat Martina, while Martina has nothing to lose.

spencercarlos
May 4th, 2006, 12:53 AM
I don't think either of them need it. In either case, the loser knows they lost to a good player. If Venus wins, she knows it isn't the 2000 vintage Hingis. If Hingis wins, it's Venus' 2nd match after three months off the tour injured, and only her third match in six months. When you've played as many times as they have, I don't think the winner even gains a psychological edge.

I agree, it pretty much sums it all.

donellcarey
May 4th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Venus needs a 10-10.
right

RJWCapriati
May 4th, 2006, 01:51 AM
I like both of them - gotta go with Martina

Lulu.
May 4th, 2006, 03:40 AM
Uhm.....Venus does Martina has been playing all year and doing well now its Vee's time to shine

1handedwonder
May 4th, 2006, 03:43 AM
Venus needs this one!!! Martina has has some big wins already this year and venus has only played one match, plus martina will have more chances in berlin to beat top players.