PDA

View Full Version : Larry Scott: Serena "most likely" out of RG and Wimbledon

FaceyFacem
May 3rd, 2006, 02:53 PM
Serena Williams might miss the next two Grand Slam tournaments.

Larry Scott, WTA Tour chief executive, said he doesn't expect her to play at the French Open this month or at Wimbledon in June.

"There was no timetable she shared with me at the moment" on a comeback, Scott said in multiple published reports. "But I don't expect it to be within the next couple of months."

The seven-time Grand Slam winner hasn't played since losing in the third round of the Australian Open in January. She has been hampered by left ankle and knee problems for months and has played only 31 matches since the beginning of 2005.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

AsGoodAsNew
May 3rd, 2006, 02:59 PM
Serena Williams might miss the next two Grand Slam tournaments.

Larry Scott, WTA Tour chief executive, said he doesn't expect her to play at the French Open this month or at Wimbledon in June.

"There was no timetable she shared with me at the moment" on a comeback, Scott said in multiple published reports. "But I don't expect it to be within the next couple of months."

The seven-time Grand Slam winner hasn't played since losing in the third round of the Australian Open in January. She has been hampered by left ankle and knee problems for months and has played only 31 matches since the beginning of 2005.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Well, if anyone knows, Larry Scott would. A Wimbly without Serena.....

myxomatosis
May 3rd, 2006, 03:00 PM
Wow that's really too bad. I hope she plays the USO at least. A whole year without Serena. Weird...

Paneru
May 3rd, 2006, 03:03 PM
1: Already has been posted.
2: He's making nothing more than an assumption because
Serena has told him squat. Yet it doesn't stop him from
running his mouth.

Seeing as Serena has told him nothing and he
knows nothing, Serena's may very well show up
in Berlin.

:cool:

vogus
May 3rd, 2006, 03:20 PM
we know she probly won't play RG. The real question is whether or not she plays Wimby.

i suspect Larry Scott knows nothing more about Serena's plans than we do.

darrinbaker00
May 3rd, 2006, 04:09 PM
This is what Tennis Week reported on its website:
http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=15241&bannerregion=

AsGoodAsNew
May 3rd, 2006, 04:11 PM
This is what Tennis Week reported on its website:
http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=15241&bannerregion=
Thanks darrin.

So a press release in the next day or so!

SharapovaFan16
May 3rd, 2006, 04:21 PM
ok so since Serena won't play in either why not cancel the 2 events... because whoever wins them we are going to have to here the face that Serena wasn't there, so it doesn't count haha... Serena's career is done, sad but true

Mother_Marjorie
May 3rd, 2006, 04:28 PM
Not surprised about RG. But if Serena doesn't play Wimby, I don't expect her back the rest of the year.

Vaidisova
May 3rd, 2006, 04:31 PM
Williams is scheduled to release a statement tomorrow regarding her future tennis plans, Jill Smoller, Serena's agent at William Morris, told Tennis Week today.
"We will be putting out a statement tomorrow. I believe that will answer some questions about her playing intentions," Smoller said.

Finally! :o

griffin
May 3rd, 2006, 04:31 PM
Seeing as Serena has told him nothing and he
knows nothing, Serena's may very well show up
in Berlin.

:cool:

Mauresmo hasn't said anything about whether she'll show up at my office for lunch, either.

I'm not holding my breath. (why are some people getting bent about Scott's statement? jeeze, he's just talking about the likelihood of her playing in the near future)

If she's having trouble getting healthy, I think staying off-court for awhile is smart. And if she knows she's going to be away for awhile, I think it's in everyone's best interest to just come out and say so.

SharapovaFan16
May 3rd, 2006, 04:34 PM
Serena is done, if she comes back or not she won't be dominant or be a huge threat... even Martina N said it on an interview in Cold Pizza she straight called out Serena

griffin
May 3rd, 2006, 04:44 PM
Serena is done, if she comes back or not she won't be dominant or be a huge threat... even Martina N said it on an interview in Cold Pizza she straight called out Serena

Look, I respect Martina as much - and possibly more - than the next person around here, and she's entitled to her opinion. But unless she's had a lot more contact with Serena than we're aware of, I don't think her opinion counts for much on this one.

Capriati was out of tennis far longer, and came back to win 2 Slams. I see no reason Serena can't come back and be a huge threat if she can get healthy and choses to do so.

Infiniti2001
May 3rd, 2006, 04:48 PM

Martina N said it, so it must be written in stone :rolleyes:

griffin
May 3rd, 2006, 05:01 PM

Hey, don't pick on Nav - I know she's old but I"m sure she's at least up to using papyrus by now.

JoJoCircus
May 3rd, 2006, 05:12 PM

Exactly she has something to say about everyone, and it usually ain't positive
Serena is one of her favorite targets

Meesh
May 3rd, 2006, 05:19 PM
I just hope this time we get a statement from Serena. Her agent said a few weeks back that she was going to release a statement that Wednesday and never did. I would love to hear from Serena.

JoJoCircus
May 3rd, 2006, 05:22 PM
Don't get mad at Larry Scott I'm sure he wouldn't say this stuff without a reason, this whole situation is really too bad

tennisfanxx
May 3rd, 2006, 05:22 PM
I just hope this time we get a statement from Serena. Her agent said a few weeks back that she was going to release a statement that Wednesday and never did. I would love to hear from Serena.

Serena better tell us something this time. No more of that "I need more time, I'm not ready" crap. :fiery:

samsung101
May 3rd, 2006, 05:31 PM
Disappointing. But, if she was going to enter looking
like she did earlier - overweight and out of shape -
she should not bother showing up. She's so talented,
I hope she can regroup, and give us a couple more
years of brilliant tennis. Famous ex-tennis players
are just that, famous ex-tennis players. They're
not that much in demand. Ask Anna K.

I've seen her on tv a few times. She's ok. I
don't think Halle Berry or Hillary Swank need
worry about competition from her though.

Glad Venus is still hanging in there.

hotandspicey
May 3rd, 2006, 05:36 PM
ok so since Serena won't play in either why not cancel the 2 events... because whoever wins them we are going to have to here the face that Serena wasn't there, so it doesn't count haha... Serena's career is done, sad but true
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: