PDA

View Full Version : First Borg, now Navratilova to sell Trophy...

Tennisballova
May 3rd, 2006, 03:33 PM
Navratilova is putting her Wimbledon 1979 doubles trophy up for auction. She won this trophy together with BJK. Does anyone know why they put it up for auction? http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?lot=810&auctionid=603

CoryAnnAvants#1
May 3rd, 2006, 03:35 PM
Navratilova is putting her Wimbledon 1979 doubles trophy up for auction. She won this trophy together with BJK. Does anyone know why they put it up for auction? http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?lot=810&auctionid=603

For a player who pretty much blows their load anytime she even mentions Wimbledon, putting the trophy up is extremely disrespectful in my opinion.

Borg was facing bankruptcy. What's her excuse? :rolleyes:

Tennisballova
May 3rd, 2006, 03:39 PM
I can understand Borg's reasons. Maybe Martina's reason is to raise money for a good cause or something. I dunno. Strange...

azmad_88
May 3rd, 2006, 03:40 PM
martina is rich,probably the reason its not something personal..maybe for charity lik u said ^^

roooobert
May 3rd, 2006, 03:42 PM
For a player who pretty much blows their load anytime she even mentions Wimbledon, putting the trophy up is extremely disrespectful in my opinion.

well, it wasnt true that borg was facing bankruptcy, he just wanted to be sure that his family's economical future would be safe.

But he changed his mind about selling them after McEnroe called him up and did some yelling:) Perhpaps BJK or someone could do the same.

Philbo
May 3rd, 2006, 03:43 PM

Most likely for charity :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

tennisrox
May 3rd, 2006, 03:46 PM

Probably like Bjorg, she doesn't have enough room in her trophy cabinet to store them all. :spit:
In Nav's case, she has so many that selling one wouldn't really make a noticable dent in her collection.

Tennisballova
May 3rd, 2006, 03:47 PM
If only I could top the current bid...

santhuruu
May 3rd, 2006, 03:50 PM
I think this is absolutely disgusting, I think a trophy which represents history, you shouldn't sell it. And even if it is for charity, there are a lot of other things which can bring up a lot of money for charity! Sorry that's my opinion!!!

tenn_ace
May 3rd, 2006, 04:07 PM
oh please, ppl, "disrespectful"... at the end of the day, it's just a sports trophy - not your grandmother's earrings she gave you 5 min before she died. :rolleyes:

get serious.

faboozadoo15
May 3rd, 2006, 04:42 PM
i don't see what the big fuss is over this anyway. the trophies the players get are a scaled down version of what the trophy we see looks like. obviously someone who's willing to pay that kind of cash for it has great respect for it, and it probably serves a better purpose than sitting in navs closet. plus it may be for charity.

JoJoCircus
May 3rd, 2006, 05:55 PM
Because she is an old haggard attention whore and she has run out of new ways to draw the spotlight to herself, what else would you expect

tenn_ace
May 3rd, 2006, 06:00 PM
Because she is an old haggard attention whore and she has run out of new ways to draw the spotlight to herself, what else would you expect

look who is talking.... :rolleyes:

JoJoCircus
May 3rd, 2006, 06:05 PM
ok

LH2HBH
May 3rd, 2006, 06:11 PM
It better be to feed the fucking children, that's about the only excuse in my book!

Nicjac
May 3rd, 2006, 06:38 PM
Well, it is a matter of perspective.

Who was the actress who keeps her Academy Award in the guest bathroom? Michelle Pfeiffer?

~Carsten~
May 3rd, 2006, 06:39 PM
well I don't think she will sell the trophy.

Steveg
May 3rd, 2006, 07:38 PM
Does it say that Navratilova is selling it?
I think it states that it comes from Navratilova. Maybe she sold it a while ago already for some reason and the owner is selling it now?

The same goes with Navratilova's 1976 singles semi finalist and 1980 doubles semi finalist medals :

http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?lot=811&auctionid=603

smiler
May 3rd, 2006, 08:36 PM
She must have a house full of them anyway, what's the big deal? :shrug:

PLP
May 3rd, 2006, 08:44 PM
She must have a house full of them anyway, what's the big deal? :shrug:
Yeah Martina N probably gave them away because she has so many cluttering up her little CO lodge, LOL! Seriously if she is selling it, I am sure it is for a charity of some kind. She is a very wondderful humanitarian and has done a good amount of work for others, I love her!

Andy T
May 4th, 2006, 03:01 PM
A few people who posted here had better get their knives and forks out - time to eat some humble pie!

Navratilova 'very upset' after learning her Wimbledon trophies were sold in online auction

By Douglas Robson, special to USA TODAY

Two months after Bjorn Borg stunned the tennis world with plans to auction off five Wimbledon singles trophies for "financial security," Martina Navratilova learned this week that some of her Wimbledon hardware had been sold via online auction.
The items her 1979 Wimbledon doubles trophy won with Billie Jean King and two semifinal singles medallions fetched more than $39,000 last week on Lelands.com, a sports memorabilia auction house based in Seaford, N.Y.

"I'm very upset," the nine-time Wimbledon singles champion said from Warsaw, where she was competing in doubles at a Sony Ericsson WTA Tour event. "I have no idea how any of my trophies could end up on an auction site. I am missing a couple of semifinal medallions from 1976 and 1980, and also a few things have gotten lost over the years, but I don't remember giving any of my trophies to anyone, especially Grand Slam trophies. I would never give away a Grand Slam trophy."

King, who captured her record 20th Wimbledon title with Navratilova in 1979, had no comment.

A spokesman for Lelands.com said the name of the person who provided the Wimbledon memorabilia for auction had been provided to Navratilova's attorneys, who contacted the auction house Wednesday. The company does not reveal the names of sellers or buyers unless they consent.

"I would like to know how they have authenticated that it's my trophy," the 49-year-old Navratilova said. "They didn't get in touch with me to even check if it was missing."

Swedish legend Borg decided not to auction his 1976-80 Wimbledon trophies after receiving calls from several former tennis stars, including rival John McEnroe.

Tennisballova
May 4th, 2006, 03:26 PM
This is really strange. Thanx Andy T. for the article.

Helen Lawson
May 4th, 2006, 03:30 PM
I'd sell one of my Golden Globes for like $1 million, but I'd never sell my Oscar.

Philbo
May 4th, 2006, 04:21 PM

Wheres your slice of humble pie?

CoryAnnAvants#1
May 4th, 2006, 04:30 PM
It's nice to hear that it was an accident or misunderstanding, but even still...hot the hell do you LOSE a Grand Slam trophy? I know Martina has dozens of them, but I would be extremely proud of those and know exactly where they are in my house.

Andy T
May 4th, 2006, 08:11 PM
It's nice to hear that it was an accident or misunderstanding, but even still...hot the hell do you LOSE a Grand Slam trophy? I know Martina has dozens of them, but I would be extremely proud of those and know exactly where they are in my house.

This is EVIL speculation but I wonder if one of Martina's ex's isn't the culprit here. The dates of the missing medals trophies imply that this person was in Martina's life up to Wimbledon 1980................

Another thing is how did the person who sold them prove ownership? Unless they had bought them from Martina or received them as a gift (which Martina seems to imply did not happen), what right do they have to sell them? If I were Martina I'd take 'em to court or have them charged for theft!

Joan Rivers
May 4th, 2006, 09:18 PM
I'd sell one of my Golden Globes for like $1 million, but I'd never sell my Oscar.
Hel, you can afford to let go of a Globe. It's window dressing compared to your Oscar. My Emmy on the other hand will have to pryed out of my cold, dead fingers.

Helen Lawson
May 4th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Hel, you can afford to let go of a Globe. It's window dressing compared to your Oscar. My Emmy on the other hand will have to pryed out of my cold, dead fingers.

I guess if I got really hard-up financially, I could claim my Oscar got "lost" and get a new one and sell the old one on the sly.

Sally Struthers
May 4th, 2006, 10:29 PM

Amen Joan. Sad to say but it's very likely that we've reached our pinnacles and neither of us will be winning any Oscars. I was thinking of having my 2 soldered onto my coffin lid so it would sort of resemble the ark of the covenant. What do you think?

RJWCapriati
May 4th, 2006, 11:02 PM
hmmmmmmm

Scotso
May 5th, 2006, 12:41 AM

Please. It's just a piece of medal. It's not as thought they're going erase her name from the winners list at Wimbledon. The trophy itself isn't important at all.

azdaja
May 5th, 2006, 01:35 AM
whenever i read "borg" i think about star trek rather than the tennis player :o

Boss monkey
May 5th, 2006, 01:55 AM
I did not know that you got semifinal medallions, do you get them at all the GS or any other tournament?

cartmancop
May 5th, 2006, 02:32 AM
I'm glad that is was just some mistake & she didn't plan on selling a Wimbledon trophy. Hope the issue gets resolved...

Jakeev
May 5th, 2006, 02:41 AM
Considering most of you have absolute no idea why Martina auctioned her trophy, perhaps you should have done a little homework before you began dissing her.

It's not even the actual doubles trophy for crying out loud but a replica of the actual trophy they hold up in the championship ceremony.

If some lucky joe or musuem can have that in their collection than more power to Martina for choosing to part with it.

RenaSlam.
May 5th, 2006, 03:08 AM
Liar Liar Pants on Fiyaaa.

SAEKeithSerena
May 5th, 2006, 04:30 AM
martina what are you thinking?!? that's priceless, please keep it

Helen Lawson
May 5th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Amen Joan. Sad to say but it's very likely that we've reached our pinnacles and neither of us will be winning any Oscars. I was thinking of having my 2 soldered onto my coffin lid so it would sort of resemble the ark of the covenant. What do you think?

I like the Ark of the Covenant idea, hon.

I'm leaving the Oscar to the twins, though, so it can be passed down like the Crown Jewels of England for thousands of years.

Anyway, I have this large crypt all set up for when I croak, and there's a large picture of me that is five feet by five feet, taken circa 1949 where I look ravishing (of course, when didn't I then) and an eternal flame candle, and then an adjoining museum with some of my film memorabilia, scripts, dresses, costumes, set up for the fans making pilgrimages to see my final resting place. I was considering something more elaborate, but my lawyer convinced me to keep it simple.

alfonsojose
May 5th, 2006, 04:30 PM
:rolleyes:

Kirt12255
May 5th, 2006, 04:39 PM
;) The grass she kept from her Center Court victories will be worth more than the convict-arse metal trophies she has.;) At least EBay her first razor she purchased!