PDA

View Full Version : Venus: "I guess it'll be like old times."

lukehingis
May 3rd, 2006, 02:25 PM
"We both like to dictate and control the point, even though we have different styles," Williams said. "I guess it'll be like old times."

That's what Venus had to say about her upcoming match with her old nemesis!
Can't wait! Hope it'll be an amazing match (hope someone tapes it and uploads it too ;))

May the best player win and go on and take the title!!!

(As a Hingis fan, I'm cheering for Hingis, but wouldn't be too upset if Venus won)

good luck to both! I'm sure the loser of the match will be able to hold her head high...

TomTennis
May 3rd, 2006, 02:32 PM
I hope Venus wins!

I love that quote "like old times" :bounce:

Good luck Venus!

Paneru
May 3rd, 2006, 02:36 PM
How I've missed those old times
with these great rivals. :cool:

Show 'em how it's done
Venus & Martina!

Good Luck to both ladies!
Little more to Venus. :yeah:

new-york
May 3rd, 2006, 02:37 PM
Sounds really exciting.

azmad_88
May 3rd, 2006, 02:39 PM
Sounds REALLY REALLY Exciting..but it will be tomorrow..and hingis is well rested too!...

GracefulVenus
May 3rd, 2006, 02:43 PM
Won't be upset if Martina wins although I am pulling for Venus............great rivalry, they have:yeah:

GracefulVenus
May 3rd, 2006, 02:52 PM
Won't be upset if Martina wins although I am pulling for Venus............great rivalry, they have:yeah:

Williams Rulez
May 3rd, 2006, 02:55 PM
sounds exciting! go venus! :)

vogus
May 3rd, 2006, 03:29 PM
i guess it won't be quite like old times as neither Venus nor Hingy are the towering figures they were in the past. This is a 2nd round match at a Tier 2 event - used to be they only played each other on the biggest of occasions, Slam semifinals and such.

junlee_vee
May 3rd, 2006, 03:32 PM
YES! I've been waiting for this all year! GO VEE!

winone23
May 3rd, 2006, 03:34 PM
i guess it won't be quite like old times as neither Venus nor Hingy are the towering figures they were in the past. This is a 2nd round match at a Tier 2 event - used to be they only played each other on the biggest of occasions, Slam semifinals and such.

Well they are both making comebacks, so I'll take a second round. right now there are no towering figures, no one is dominating but those two are still some of the best players on the tour. :bounce: :bounce:

Paneru
May 3rd, 2006, 03:35 PM

Who cares!

Venus has come back from injury and Martina
has just come back to the tour, what did you expect.
Also, it was simply the luck of the draw, both could have
just as easily been on the opposite sides.

They have produced some of the best matches
in this millenium and if both remain healthy both
can become those same figure once again.

As it stands, in their current state neither
is too shabby.

vogus
May 3rd, 2006, 03:38 PM
Who cares!

Venus has come back from injury and Martina
has just come back to the tour, what did you expect.
Also, it was simply the luck of the draw, both could have
just as easily been on the opposite sides.

They have produced some of the best matches
in this millenium and if both remain healthy both
can become those same figure once again.

As it stands, in their current state neither
is too shabby.

i'm not trying to spoil anyone's fun, i'm just noting that times are a bit different. I'm sure it will be a fun match, but of course it won't even be televised. Can you imagine Venus vs Hingy not being on tv back in, say, 2001?

Infiniti2001
May 3rd, 2006, 03:40 PM

You can always count on good ole bitter vogus to spread his sunshine :lol:

lukehingis
May 3rd, 2006, 03:44 PM
i'm not trying to spoil anyone's fun, i'm just noting that times are a bit different. I'm sure it will be a fun match, but of course it won't even be televised. Can you imagine Venus vs Hingy not being on tv back in, say, 2001?

I believe Eurosports will be showing it...they start coverage from Thursday...

Good Luck, Martina!!

Bezz
May 3rd, 2006, 03:46 PM

Give them time, its only ranking that keeps them from meeting on the big stage, not ability.

Foot_Fault
May 3rd, 2006, 03:57 PM
"We both like to dictate and control the point, even though we have different styles," Williams said. "I guess it'll be like old times."

That's what Venus had to say about her upcoming match with her old nemesis!(from Foot_Fault: ?????????????)
Can't wait! Hope it'll be an amazing match (hope someone tapes it and uploads it too ;))

May the best player win and go on and take the title!!!

(As a Hingis fan, I'm cheering for Hingis, but wouldn't be too upset if Venus won)

good luck to both! I'm sure the loser of the match will be able to hold her head high...

One of the meainings of Nemesis, in the context of sport is: An opponent that CANNOT be beaten or OVERCOME. So I wouldn't call it a Nemesis.

Venus is Capriati's Nemesis
Federer is Roddick's Nemesis
Nadal is Federer's Nemesis
Clijsters is Sharapova's Nemesis

Martina and Venus have beaten each other Multiple times. You're talking about my beloved here...be careful with your words!

LOL...just thought i'd clear that up.

Proceed.:wavey: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

darrinbaker00
May 3rd, 2006, 04:01 PM
One of the meainings of Nemesis, in the context of sport is: An opponent that CANNOT be beaten or OVERCOME. So I wouldn't call it a Nemesis.

Venus is Capriati's Nemesis
Federer is Roddick's Nemesis
Nadal is Federer's Nemesis
Clijsters is Sharapova's Nemesis

Martina and Venus have beaten each other Multiple times. You're talking about my beloved here...be careful with your words!

LOL...just thought i'd clear that up.

Proceed.:wavey: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Federer is Roddick's pimp, not his nemesis. ;)

volta
May 3rd, 2006, 04:04 PM
Eurosport is going to show it if im not wrong since they start to show the tournament tomorrow.

Foot_Fault
May 3rd, 2006, 04:04 PM
Federer is Roddick's pimp, not his nemesis. ;)

So Roddick's a WHORE?:eek:

NO, say it isn't so, say it isn't so.

In that case Fed's pimping most of the mens tour. Nadal said he wasn't having that shit, b/c he can get some Whores on the Track as well! (i think only blacks will get that last reference)

Disclaimer: The comments mention here by Foot_Fault, are the not same opinions and Views of WTAWORLD, or the RoyalCourt. Reader discretion is advised.

GoDominique
May 3rd, 2006, 04:11 PM
Disclaimer: The comments mention here by Foot_Fault, are the not same opinions and Views of WTAWORLD.
Kinda obvious, not all members here are as illiterate as you. Concerning the Royal Court, however ... :tape:

Foot_Fault
May 3rd, 2006, 04:15 PM
Kinda obvious, not all members here are as illiterate as you. Concerning the Royal Court, however ... :tape:

you noticed! TY:kiss:

morningglory
May 3rd, 2006, 04:20 PM
hehehehe... I'm sure it will be one hella match... :armed:

LoveFifteen
May 3rd, 2006, 04:20 PM
:mad: ARGH! I want to live in Europe so I can have Eurosport!!! :mad:

:angel: But at least I don't have to deal with bars so smoke-filled that you get lung cancer from just walking by. :angel:

Good luck to both girls. Here's hoping for a great match. Hingis wins 7-5 3-6 7-6 (47)

darrinbaker00
May 3rd, 2006, 04:27 PM
So Roddick's a WHORE?:eek:

NO, say it isn't so, say it isn't so.

In that case Fed's pimping most of the mens tour. Nadal said he wasn't having that shit, b/c he can get some Whores on the Track as well! (i think only blacks will get that last reference)

Disclaimer: The comments mention here by Foot_Fault, are the not same opinions and Views of WTAWORLD, or the RoyalCourt. Reader discretion is advised.
The guy in your avatar has been pimping Nadal on hardcourts..... ;)

darrinbaker00
May 3rd, 2006, 04:29 PM
If you're going to call someone illiterate, please don't use non-words like "kinda." It doesn't look good.

Mother_Marjorie
May 3rd, 2006, 04:29 PM
I hope Venus wins, but I think it will be Martina.

Foot_Fault
May 3rd, 2006, 04:30 PM
The guy in your avatar has been pimping Nadal on hardcourts..... ;)

SHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! James is still High, and we Can't let him overhear he's playing well and doing a good job and in the TOP 8 in the world, he may Wake Up.

Foot_Fault
May 3rd, 2006, 04:31 PM
If you're going to call someone illiterate, please don't use non-words like "kinda." It doesn't look good.

Nuff Said prehaps?....Yeah nuff said:tape: :tape:

darrinbaker00
May 3rd, 2006, 04:32 PM
SHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! James is still High, and we Can't let him overhear he's playing well and doing a good job and in the TOP 8 in the world, he may Wake Up.
I'm sorry. :tape:

Foot_Fault
May 3rd, 2006, 04:36 PM
I'm sorry. :tape:

:secret:Thankyou!

Wannabeknowitall
May 3rd, 2006, 04:37 PM
Venus seems to be so excited that Martina is back. :rolleyes:

tenn_ace
May 3rd, 2006, 04:40 PM
You can always count on good ole bitter vogus to spread his sunshine :lol:

:lol:

Drake1980
May 3rd, 2006, 04:40 PM
Martina:banana:

morningglory
May 3rd, 2006, 04:41 PM
too late... :tape:
look what happened at Houston...

tenn_ace
May 3rd, 2006, 04:42 PM
Venus, an awesome way to put it!... :worship:

GoDominique
May 3rd, 2006, 04:43 PM
Whateva. You seem to be an exemption though. Join the Dominique Monami fanclub, less dumbasses to be found there. :)

Foot_Fault
May 3rd, 2006, 04:51 PM
Whateva. You seem to be an exemption though. Join the Dominique Monami fanclub, less dumbasses to be found there. :)

Let's disect this.

1. Whateva? Correction- Whatever. (Illiterate, YES!)

2. Exemption? (contextually) INCORRECT. Correction- Exception. (Illiterate, YES!)

3. Less? (contexually) INCORRECT. Correction- Fewer. (Illiterate, YES!)

4. DUMBASSES? (no such word). Correction- Dumb Asses. (Illiterate, YES!)

In the conclusion of this...you've proven to be not only Illiterate but a major(as you call it) DUMBASS!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

NUFF SAID:tape:

darrinbaker00
May 3rd, 2006, 04:51 PM
too late... :tape:
look what happened at Houston...
With JB's speed, you would think he'd be much better on clay. :shrug:

Meanwhile, back on topic...Hingis is at her best when she creates an opening on the court by moving her opponent from side to side. Venus is at her best when she's on the move, because that hides her technical flaws. This is going to be a VERY interesting match.

Shuji Shuriken
May 3rd, 2006, 04:53 PM
Damn...Griffin deleted my post and gave me a badrep for being too harsh on GoAsshole :rolleyes:.

darrinbaker00
May 3rd, 2006, 04:54 PM
Let's disect this.

2. Exemption? (contextually) INCORRECT. Correction- Exception. (Illiterate, YES!)

In the conclusion of this...you've proven to be not only Illiterate but a major(as you call it) DUMBASS!!!!!

Your pimp hand is quite strong today, my friend. ;)

GoDominique
May 3rd, 2006, 05:00 PM
Let's disect this.
After that I stopped reading. :lol:

Foot_Fault
May 3rd, 2006, 05:00 PM
Your pimp hand is quite strong today, my friend. ;)

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

I am all positive for the rest of the day, have to shift those vibes over to Venus' Match tomorrow!!!

Foot_Fault
May 3rd, 2006, 05:01 PM
After that I stopped reading. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
got me there!!!!!!!!!!! The BLIND LEADE THE F'ING BLIND!

GoDominique
May 3rd, 2006, 05:03 PM

BTW, let's make a few posts in German (my first language) and do the same again. :lol: :lol:

G1Player2
May 3rd, 2006, 05:05 PM

I am losing brain cells just watching you argue with her/him.

harloo
May 3rd, 2006, 05:06 PM
How I've missed those old times
with these great rivals. :cool:

Show 'em how it's done
Venus & Martina!

Good Luck to both ladies!
Little more to Venus. :yeah:

:worship: I'm excited about this match up and every true women's tennis fan should be also. The history of the rivalry and the fact that both haven't played each other in years is very interesting.

Good luck to whoever wins. I'm rooting for Vee more though.:bounce: :bounce: :lol:

lukehingis
May 3rd, 2006, 05:28 PM
:worship: I'm excited about this match up and every true women's tennis fan should be also. The history of the rivalry and the fact that both haven't played each other in years is very interesting.

Good luck to whoever wins. I'm rooting for Vee more though.:bounce: :bounce: :lol:

I'm glad that fans of both players are looking forward to this match up! I think Venus and Martina are looking forward to it too. I think they have mutual respect for each other now that they are adults and have achieved so much in their careers...

It's great they can renew their rivalry after a 4 year absence, they had lotsa fierce battles in the past...

V-MAC
May 3rd, 2006, 05:42 PM
:) there is a great buzz around this board today which is nice, for too long this year it has been quite dull :P

SoClose
May 3rd, 2006, 05:52 PM
VENUS :bounce:

Ryan
May 3rd, 2006, 05:58 PM
I'm really excited, and hope that it's a close match either way. I definately want Hingis to win, but I won't be upset if Venus does, because at least they are playing again. It's kind of creepy though...4 years to the exact tournament since they last played.

SAEKeithSerena
May 3rd, 2006, 06:38 PM
venus in 2.

Kunal
May 3rd, 2006, 06:44 PM
we are all expecting a great match....but i think it could be a ue prone match as well

Williams-forever
May 3rd, 2006, 06:47 PM
Itt'l definitely going to be exciting...and the match is showed on eurosport too!! :D :bounce:

Viktymise
May 3rd, 2006, 06:56 PM
iv already got butterflies in my stomach i have a good feeling vee will win fingers and toes all crossed :)

PLP
May 3rd, 2006, 07:20 PM
Itt'l definitely going to be exciting...and the match is showed on eurosport too!! :D :bounce:

:bigclap: Yes! Please someone record this match!!!
Beautiful Venus is my 2nd fav behind only the Incomprable Martina so I am always a bit torn when these 2 play, though I have to pull for Martina(usually)! It's going to be great. Like others have said, I won't be upset if Vee wins becasue I love her and also it will have meant that she MAJORLY EARNED IT! These is a tough test for both...Go Martina!!! :bounce: :bounce:

starr
May 3rd, 2006, 07:32 PM
I didn't know administrators gave bad reps. That's kind of weird.

jmd
May 3rd, 2006, 07:33 PM
Venus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hots4Safin
May 3rd, 2006, 07:41 PM

Still, I doubt anyone wants to see either of their names next to theirs in the draw. :rolleyes:

Joana
May 3rd, 2006, 08:01 PM
:

But at least I don't have to deal with bars so smoke-filled that you get lung cancer from just walking by.

One of the reasons why Europe rules :drool: :worship:

Denise4925
May 3rd, 2006, 08:15 PM
Well they are both making comebacks, so I'll take a second round. right now there are no towering figures, no one is dominating but those two are still some of the best players on the tour. :bounce: :bounce:
Right, and they are both young and in their prime. It's not like its BJK and Chrissy Evert getting on the court tomorrow. Venus is currently holding slam title, so if that's not a towering figure I don't know what is.

Summer Snow
May 3rd, 2006, 08:17 PM
I will be angry if Venus loses to that thing! :mad: :lol:

Denise4925
May 3rd, 2006, 08:20 PM

Denise4925
May 3rd, 2006, 08:25 PM
:tape:

Denise4925
May 3rd, 2006, 08:26 PM
Let's disect this.

:o MAJORLY PWNED!! :lol:

Apoorv
May 3rd, 2006, 08:27 PM
bring on the show girls

Denise4925
May 3rd, 2006, 08:29 PM
With JB's speed, you would think he'd be much better on clay. :shrug:

Meanwhile, back on topic...Hingis is at her best when she creates an opening on the court by moving her opponent from side to side. Venus is at her best when she's on the move, because that hides her technical flaws. This is going to be a VERY interesting match.
Yeah, but Vee doesn't slide very well on clay with her long legs. She has said, she likes to step into the ball, so what do you think? :shrug:

middy
May 3rd, 2006, 08:33 PM
Lets go Martina :bounce:

vwfan
May 3rd, 2006, 08:37 PM
If Venus is not worried, I am not worried. Let's go Venus, tough it out!

darrinbaker00
May 3rd, 2006, 08:39 PM
Yeah, but Vee doesn't slide very well on clay with her long legs. She has said, she likes to step into the ball, so what do you think? :shrug:
I think that's why Venus hired a clay-court coach, De. She's not as bad on the dirt as people think, you know (.802 lifetime), but two of her most embarrassing losses came at Roland Garros (Zvonareva in '03 and Karatantcheva last year), and it appears as if she's willing to do whatever it takes to make sure that doesn't happen again.

Pureracket
May 3rd, 2006, 08:45 PM
Wasn't that young lady who beat Venus @ RG last year,Karatantcheva, on drugs last year? I may be wrong, but I think she's the one.

Denise4925
May 3rd, 2006, 08:51 PM
I think that's why Venus hired a clay-court coach, De. She's not as bad on the dirt as people think, you know (.802 lifetime), but two of her most embarrassing losses came at Roland Garros (Zvonareva in '03 and Karatantcheva last year), and it appears as if she's willing to do whatever it takes to make sure that doesn't happen again.
I know she's played very well on clay, and you're right, better than some think. However, she's usually dictating the point and has not had to run from side to side. One match on clay which I think would have given us an indication of Venus prowes on clay would have been against Amelie in the Berlin '04 final while she was hot coming off a win in Warsaw.

darrinbaker00
May 3rd, 2006, 09:13 PM
Wasn't that young lady who beat Venus @ RG last year,Karatantcheva, on drugs last year? I may be wrong, but I think she's the one.
Nandrolone or no nandrolone, Venus had no business losing to a 15-year-old kid.

Pureracket
May 3rd, 2006, 09:19 PM
Nandrolone or no nandrolone, Venus had no business losing to a 15-year-old kid.. . .even one on performance-enhancing drugs?

Rocketta
May 3rd, 2006, 09:24 PM
. . .even one on performance-enhancing drugs?

yeah even one that's doped up. :lol:

RVD
May 3rd, 2006, 10:43 PM
Here's hoping that both play incredible tennis! :bounce:

CrossCourt~Rally
May 3rd, 2006, 10:47 PM
Can't wait to see what the "J and S Live Score Thread" looks like tomorow ... :tape: :p

GogoGirl
May 3rd, 2006, 10:48 PM
All,

Venus has never lied. It will be just like old times. What if these two stayed healthy and played several more tourneys? My - my!