PDA

View Full Version : What if Venus had won the QF against Kim at last year's US Open?!

davidmario
May 3rd, 2006, 02:13 PM
She was up 6-4 4-1* :sad: and had lots of chances during the whole match.
I can imagine seeing her at the top again if she had won this match.
Sharapova in the SF and Pierce in the Final - that would've been a good draw.

What do you think?

Il Primo!
May 3rd, 2006, 02:16 PM
I think she would have taken the whole thing!

Blackbeat
May 3rd, 2006, 02:21 PM
hmm i think she would have been in the semis, right??? :rolleyes:

Nickk
May 3rd, 2006, 02:22 PM
I don't even want to think about it...to me, it was by far her worst loss in a very long time... :sad:

(I think she was only up 4-2 and not 4-1)

Jakeev
May 3rd, 2006, 02:43 PM

LOL yes. But she still would have had a fighting chance for the title.

jenny161185
May 3rd, 2006, 02:54 PM
I remember watching that match on holidays at about 4 in the morning it was so tense - great match - It would have been nice for Venus to win but I really wanted Kim to win that first slam.....which she did

Infiniti2001
May 3rd, 2006, 02:56 PM
We're now in May of 2006 :eek: Can we just move on?? if s are pointless my friend :shrug:

Scots Kim Fan
May 3rd, 2006, 02:56 PM
I think after coming through that match against Venus, Kim was then confident that she could go all the way which she deserved to do. :)

MrSerenaWilliams
May 3rd, 2006, 02:58 PM
it was a tough loss....so was Serena's in 04...im hoping its just more motivation for them to get as far as they both can this year!

GrandSlam05
May 3rd, 2006, 03:26 PM
That match was a barf-fest for me. I've made it no secret that I'm not really a Vee fan, but I'll root for anybody against Kim. Watching up to 4-2 second set, it was pretty clear who the superior player was. Vee was dominating and then just ran outta gas. It was about like Lindsay at the 05 AO.

TomTennis
May 3rd, 2006, 03:27 PM
It was a bad loss to say the least, but I dont think reflecting on things would help. I mean, I think had she played better in her QF against Myskina at 04 FO, she would have gone on to win the title.

But again, its no use wondering!

xin_hui
May 3rd, 2006, 03:27 PM
it's over. move on :rolleyes:

honeyke
May 3rd, 2006, 03:29 PM
it's over. move on :rolleyes:
agreed :wavey:

azmad_88
May 3rd, 2006, 03:31 PM
the word if is sooo cruel

i would have used it 6 times..(4 on kim 2 on elena)

fifiricci
May 3rd, 2006, 03:34 PM
I detest "what if" threads. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but they're such a waste of time and show a worrying reluctance on the part of some to face reality. :yawn:

I know, what if the thread starter deleted this thread? :devil:

GrandSlam05
May 3rd, 2006, 03:46 PM
I was rooting for Vee, but the loss was worth it for this comment:

``I was playing decent and she started playing really bad and it totally threw me off,'' Williams said. ``She started hitting these really weird shots and short balls, just weird stuff. It threw my game off. Next thing I knew, I was playing as bad as she was.''

If all else fails you can always blame it on somebody else. :lol:

VeeReeDavJCap81
May 3rd, 2006, 03:46 PM
I was so bitter that night, Vee was up *3-1, *4-2, and had a game point at *5-5 when Kim got lucky with a netcord. However, it's over can't go back.

azmad_88
May 3rd, 2006, 03:50 PM
venus has 5 GS and surely she can win wimby this year :taped:

Hagar
May 3rd, 2006, 03:52 PM

Really?
:devil:

santhuruu
May 3rd, 2006, 03:53 PM
If Venus would have won the quarterfinals against Kim at last year's UsOpen then she would have been standing in the semifinals against Sharapova.

But that didn't happen it wasn't Venus time right then and you have to consider and realise it, that's all I have to say:D

henree
May 3rd, 2006, 03:56 PM
The important question I have to ask is, What happened to Venus in that final set? Clijsters didn't really improveher play. Venus though just catipulted into an abyss. Error after error. It was like Venus just gave up.

Scots Kim Fan
May 3rd, 2006, 04:12 PM

Sorry, but they're such a waste of time and show a worrying reluctance on the part of some to face reality. :yawn:

I'm with you on this one! :devil:

Scots Kim Fan
May 3rd, 2006, 04:14 PM
I was so bitter that night, Vee was up *3-1, *4-2, and had a game point at *5-5 when Kim got lucky with a netcord. However, it's over can't go back.

I dont think you can say Kim - the best hard court player of 2005 - was lucky to win the us open?!

GrandSlam05
May 3rd, 2006, 04:28 PM
I dont think you can say Kim - the best hard court player of 2005 - was lucky to win the us open?!
Yes, she was lucky. Venus had that match.

xin_hui
May 3rd, 2006, 04:31 PM
Yes, she was lucky. Venus had that match.

:rolleyes: whose fault was it that venus didnt have the fitness level to last a normal 3 set match?

vogus
May 3rd, 2006, 04:35 PM

if VW wins that game to go up 6-5, imo she wins the '05 USO title. I think she would have beaten Masha in the SF and of course Pierce easily. The QF was like the final of the tournie.

The third set collapse was metaphorical - i saw it as the final end of Venus Williams as a dominant player in women's tennis. Kim slew the Williams dragon once and for all, on the biggest of stages.

Geisha
May 3rd, 2006, 04:39 PM
I was rooting for Vee, but the loss was worth it for this comment:

``I was playing decent and she started playing really bad and it totally threw me off,'' Williams said. ``She started hitting these really weird shots and short balls, just weird stuff. It threw my game off. Next thing I knew, I was playing as bad as she was.''

If all else fails you can always blame it on somebody else. :lol:

I agree with the quote. Venus and Kim played average plus going into the second set. Then, Kim's level was like - suffering - and Venus' level dropped. It is like me, a good club player, playing a pusher or a ten-year old slicer. I mean...

Geisha
May 3rd, 2006, 04:40 PM
if VW wins that game to go up 6-5, imo she wins the '05 USO title. I think she would have beaten Masha in the SF and of course Pierce easily. The QF was like the final of the tournie.

The third set collapse was metaphorical - i saw it as the final end of Venus Williams as a dominant player in women's tennis. Kim slew the Williams dragon once and for all, on the biggest of stages.

Oh dear, you're going to regret ever saying that.

GrandSlam05
May 3rd, 2006, 05:00 PM
:rolleyes: whose fault was it that venus didnt have the fitness level to last a normal 3 set match?
Of course it was Vee's fault. That still doesn't change the fact that Kim was lucky Vee ran outta gas.

xin_hui
May 3rd, 2006, 05:05 PM
Of course it was Vee's fault. That still doesn't change the fact that Kim was lucky Vee ran outta gas.

yeah, kim was so lucky venus ran out of gas, if not she wouldnt have defeated sharapova and pierce :rolleyes: . must be so disappointing for u, having to see someone u utterly hate lift the trophy.

let it go. venus lost. pull out all the reasons, she still lost. fullstop.

faboozadoo15
May 3rd, 2006, 05:11 PM
then sharapova would have won the 2005 US OPEN :banana:

cometz9
May 3rd, 2006, 05:13 PM
Mary would've completed her 5 year plan :lol:

chuCKnorris
May 3rd, 2006, 05:13 PM
If my aunt had moustache then she would be my uncle :p
Amen.

sebbe
May 3rd, 2006, 05:14 PM
Mary would've won the whole thing then!

Veritas
May 3rd, 2006, 05:18 PM

If that's the case, then I'm sure Venus would've had plenty of "lucky" instances which were completely responsible for her GS titles :rolleyes:

SharapovaFan16
May 3rd, 2006, 05:18 PM
what if? end of story

Veritas
May 3rd, 2006, 05:19 PM

What do you think?

Do you happen to be a fan of Steffi Graf? :tape:

pierce0415
May 3rd, 2006, 05:20 PM
Pierce def. V Williams at USO 2005 final
Mary retires afterwards (she said she would have retired if she won the USO)
Kim also retires after realizing she will never win a slam

Yasmine
May 3rd, 2006, 05:29 PM
jee why are we dragging that subject on? :shrug: waste of time, Kim won that match and won the whole damn tourney some people should get over it :rolleyes:

new-york
May 3rd, 2006, 05:29 PM
we just can't know.

i just would have kept on rooting for Venus.

Yasmine
May 3rd, 2006, 05:30 PM
we just can't know.

i just would have kept on rooting for Venus.
that's what decent fans do :worship: :kiss:

tennisluver99
May 3rd, 2006, 05:31 PM
WHO CARES!!!!!!! It was 8 months ago.

Venus Williams 2005 Wimbledon Champion :yeah:

Kim Clijsters 2005 US Open Champion :bounce:

borisy
May 3rd, 2006, 05:33 PM

What do you think?

:yawn:

GrandSlam05
May 3rd, 2006, 05:40 PM
yeah, kim was so lucky venus ran out of gas, if not she wouldnt have defeated sharapova and pierce :rolleyes: . must be so disappointing for u, having to see someone u utterly hate lift the trophy.

let it go. venus lost. pull out all the reasons, she still lost. fullstop.
I never said that was the reason Kim won the the other two matches, but she had to get thru Vee to win it all, and Vee was winning until she ran out of energy. End of story. I don't really like either player so i consider myself fairly objective on this one. :lol:

GracefulVenus
May 3rd, 2006, 05:41 PM
I try not to think about this loss for Venus. It was a hurtful one. I was at work and had to watch the live scoring on the internet. Let's just say I quit my job the same day.......no kidding.;) But I knew if she didn't put away the match in the second set that she would loose.

harloo
May 3rd, 2006, 06:16 PM
The same can be said about alot of matches. What if Kim held her nerve and held in the semis against Serena at the AO 2003? What if Capriati converted one of those match points against Venus in Miami? What if......What if....What if......? This can go on for days.

I have the Venus vs. Kim qtr. on tape and I refuse to watch it again. The match wasn't very high quality stuff from either and Venus losing while up 4-1 was heartbreaking at the time. It wasn't meant to be and I really do feel that Kim was destined to win the U.S. Open. It was nice to see her win the title because she was standing on her last leg in that regard. The match is over and done with and it's time to move on.:D

Viktymise
May 3rd, 2006, 06:35 PM
I was thinking the same thing this morning. What if she had of beaten Clijsters in that match. I think she would have won the whole thing. Idnt think she recovered for a good while after that loss, vee just was mentally fatigued after the match against Serena me thinks but the past is the past and im just glab vee is back but she has had alot of matches in her career where if she had of won them maybe she would have went on to win tournaments

Uranus
May 3rd, 2006, 06:37 PM
Stupid thread...
She lost the match. That's all.

40-0
May 3rd, 2006, 07:14 PM
i remember watching this so late at night, i knew that kim was going to win it no matter what, venus was playing really good and i was impressed, but in the end u have to realize that destiny is destiny, it was kim turn

davidmario
May 3rd, 2006, 09:04 PM
If my aunt had moustache then she would be my uncle :p
Amen.
:lol:

davidmario
May 3rd, 2006, 09:06 PM
Do you happen to be a fan of Steffi Graf? :tape:
Steffi is okay. But usually I hate players from my country. So, what's your point?

davidmario
May 3rd, 2006, 09:12 PM
Well by starting this thread, I wanted to know how that happened. Why did her game crack down and things like that. Like a little analysis, you know.
I love Kim, she played at my local club for 2years. I practiced next to her. She earns that title. I just want to know and let people discuss the reasons for this loss

Nickk
May 3rd, 2006, 09:17 PM
It was Kim's destiny to win the US Open?

lmao

V-MAC
May 3rd, 2006, 09:45 PM

yeah I remember that match, was watching it live at like 4am here in Ireland. By the time Kim levelled up at one set all, I knew it was all over by then for Venus so I didn't even watch the third set ( I was knackered anyway by that time) :o

Brooks.
May 3rd, 2006, 10:37 PM

one game and she loses all chances of ever being a dominant player again...oh please :o :lol:

Venus should have won that match...she didn't ..it's over now...she'll have several more opportunities to win the US Open and also get revenge on Kim :devil:

Callystarr
May 3rd, 2006, 11:27 PM

Well don't read them :rolleyes:

SAEKeithSerena
May 4th, 2006, 01:12 AM
can't believe she blew that lead. but it's the past, now she needs to work on defending her wimbledon championship more than anything:)