PDA

View Full Version : Top ten players not CURRENTLY holding a Tier I title

Volcana
May 21st, 2002, 02:14 PM
I'm including the Tour Championships, because you get more points than A Tier I for that, but less than a GS. 3 of the top 5 players, 4 of the top 6 have no Tier I titles.

Jennifer Capriati
Venus Williams
Kim Clijsters
Monica Seles
Sandrine Testud

babywhale
May 21st, 2002, 02:29 PM
there aren't that many Tier I events to win. there's always likely to be a couple of top-10 players with no Tier I title. Now, if you're top-5 and lack a title in a GS, the WTA Champs or Tier II then you really shouldn't be there.

Volcana
May 21st, 2002, 02:32 PM
Kim curently doesn't has a GS title, the TChamps or a Tier I. BUt when you look at her record, it's impossible to argue that she doesn't deerve her ranking.

Of course, Lindsay's absence has bollixed up everything anyway.

babywhale
May 21st, 2002, 04:19 PM
looks like Kim is destined to become another Conchita/Jana/Gaby type of player....she'll possibly win one slam, have bursts of winning tier IIs and the odd Tier I, but generally be consistent in reaching the quarters, semis and finals of events. Possibly the same for Justine and Amelie as well.

None of those three look like big league players in the making. You have to start making waves at age 16-19. To start getting good aged 19-20 is a bit too late, because that's when you should be at your peak.

Lindsay/Jen are rare examples. Lindsay would ahve had more success aged 16-21 had she not been fat, and Jen would have probably had more success aged 18-22 had she not languished in a life of crime, drugs and other anti-social behaviours.

Freefall
May 21st, 2002, 05:43 PM
Are you making this up as you go along whale or did you find it in a cereal box?

:rolleyes:

Volcana
May 21st, 2002, 06:56 PM
Venus didn't win her first GS title til she 20.

babywhale
May 21st, 2002, 07:16 PM
precisely - Venus won her first slam at 20 and that marks the start of her peak period. Venus will get better for 2-4 years, in which time she will win many slams, but it's less likely after age 25.

BUT Venus did a lot of good things prior to reaching age 20, such as reaching a GS final, doing well in a lot of important tournaments and being a real challenge to Hingis and Davenport.

Kim's career trajectory at the moment has not been on that course.

Asmus
May 21st, 2002, 07:33 PM
What do you mean? Kim has been to a GS final and has wins over Venus, Hingis, and Davenport among others. And she's only 18! There's definitely room for improvement.

Justinator
May 21st, 2002, 07:39 PM
What are you on today, babywhale?

Do you know how old Kim is? Where were you during the French Open last year? Check the stats and have a look who was in the final. And while you're busy have a look at the results of Indian Wells and Stanford for example.

ptkten
May 21st, 2002, 08:23 PM
Tier 1 Winners

Canada: Serena Williams
Moscow: Jelena Dokic
Zurich: Lindsay Davenport
Tokyo: Martina Hingis
Indian Wells: Daniela Hantuchova
Miami: Serena Williams
Charleston: Iva Majoli
Berlin: Justine Henin
Rome: Serena Williams

Looks like Serena's doing a pretty good job of sweeping the major tier 1's...not leaving much room for anyone else this year.

Interesting list though....Majoli and Hantuchova haven't won any other titles in the past year while Venus and Jen the two GS holders have no tier 1's...go figure, although these two skip quite a few of the tier 1's, Venus has played in only Miami and Jen has skipped at least 3 to my knowledge.

ptkten
May 21st, 2002, 08:25 PM
You know after thinking about this I have come to the conclusion that the top players should be required to play at least 5 of the 9 tier 1's...I'm a big fan of Venus but for the # 1 player in the world to only play 1 tier one event throughout the year is pretty bad for the tour, they need the top players to support the top events.

brunof
May 21st, 2002, 10:07 PM
Jenn started winning Grand Slams in her mid 20's. ;)

arn
May 21st, 2002, 10:25 PM
But Kim her GS-results are better as Dokic ones, and Kim is younger...

You don't have to look at what a player has done before his 20ies to determine she will be among the best or not... I'm sure Daniela Hantuchova will be a top player but actually she didn't do that much untill now...

Williams Rulez
May 22nd, 2002, 09:16 AM
Venus has only played 1 Tier 1 ... not surprise that she is holding none.

Kart
May 22nd, 2002, 11:46 AM
Venus would have played Rome had she not been injured. Also she didn't play after US open last year and hopefully that will change this year.

The problem for Venus though is that she doesn't play the same tournaments as her sister - so Canada, Charleston and Berlin are out as well. Kind of limits her options.