PDA

View Full Version : Binge Drinking: Why Do You Do it?

SpikeyAidanm
Apr 22nd, 2006, 02:12 AM
Doing research currently for a Uni assignment so if you do Binge drink, explain why, you can vote in more than one of the categories...

Crazy Canuck
Apr 22nd, 2006, 02:25 AM
Define what exactly you consider "binge drinking" to be, according to your study ;)

meyerpl
Apr 22nd, 2006, 02:30 AM
Between my job and parental responsibilities, I can't stay drunk all the time, so I'm forced to binge drink.

~ The Leopard ~
Apr 22nd, 2006, 02:58 AM
Define what exactly you consider "binge drinking" to be, according to your study ;)

Exactly, lots of definitions I see are so fucking puritanical. They call "binge drinking" what I'd call knocking over a couple of bottles of good red with a friend.

Crazy Canuck
Apr 22nd, 2006, 03:02 AM
Exactly, lots of definitions I see are so fucking puritanical. They call "binge drinking" what I'd call knocking over a couple of bottles of good red with a friend.
Exactly. I'm happy to contribute to the discussion, I just want to make sure I'm on the same level as Spikey before going off on a tangent.

SilK
Apr 22nd, 2006, 03:09 AM
Ooooopsy. :tape:

nbaker53
Apr 22nd, 2006, 03:37 AM
How about the choice, "it's fun to get piss drunk"?

meyerpl
Apr 22nd, 2006, 03:46 AM
I believe Winston Churchill was approached by a woman at a party once and asked why he drank, to which he replied, "I drink to make people like you more interesting."

drake3781
Apr 22nd, 2006, 04:31 AM
I used to be a huge binge drinker for many years......... and I did it because it was a lifestyle........ all my friends and I love to party and have fun and almost everyone is/was in a band (we are older now) so we spent our weekend nights either having or going to a party or going out to a bar/s to meet everybody (big circle of friends) and probably see a band. No major responsiblities and I had so much fun. None of the reasons seem to apply other than it was a lifestyle and I loved my life then, no regrets.

~ The Leopard ~
Apr 22nd, 2006, 05:12 AM
This sort of language, "binge drinking", seems to me like just one more part of the cumulative effort to control the detail of our lives. If it applied only to getting totally pissed and violent, it'd be fine, but that is not how it gets defined.

Mother_Marjorie
Apr 22nd, 2006, 05:16 AM
Where's Helen Lawson and Sally Struthers??? Rumor has it they were binge drinking at this years New Years Eve party. At least I think Helen is experienced enough to give her input.

drake3781
Apr 22nd, 2006, 05:35 AM
This sort of language, "binge drinking", seems to me like just one more part of the cumulative effort to control the detail of our lives. If it applied only to getting totally pissed and violent, it'd be fine, but that is not how it gets defined.

I don't have any problem with the term; the meaning is pretty clear to me, and being violent doesn't have any part in it. Binge drinking basically means drinking excessively, with the purpose of getting drunk, and it is a repeated but occasional behavior - like every Friday/Saturday. This is distinguised from (a) social drinking which is lighter drinking to loosen up a bit in a social setting, and (b) drinking by necessity every day, which I guess would be called being an alcoholic.

AjdeNate!
Apr 22nd, 2006, 05:36 AM
It's far from my drug of choice... but if I do binge drink, it's to not be me anymore or to feel what's in my head.

gentenaire
Apr 22nd, 2006, 06:12 AM
We don't have a binge drinking culture, thank goodness.

ozstyl
Apr 22nd, 2006, 06:45 AM
I used to be a huge binge drinker for many years......... and I did it because it was a lifestyle........ all my friends and I love to party and have fun and almost everyone is/was in a band (we are older now) so we spent our weekend nights either having or going to a party or going out to a bar/s to meet everybody (big circle of friends) and probably see a band. No major responsiblities and I had so much fun. None of the reasons seem to apply other than it was a lifestyle and I loved my life then, no regrets.

Yeah pretty much.. except Im living it now. Im just out of school - taking a year off before uni, working 9-5 Mon to Friday... Weekends is my time to have fun... drink.. catch up with my friends.. party be young and dumb..

I cant see myself living like this in a year.. but for now I can so I will enjoy it.

~ The Leopard ~
Apr 22nd, 2006, 07:41 AM
I don't have any problem with the term; the meaning is pretty clear to me, and being violent doesn't have any part in it. Binge drinking basically means drinking excessively, with the purpose of getting drunk,

Well, take this - http://www.indiana.edu/~engs/articles/cqoped.html - for example. It defines binge drinking as something like having at least five drinks at least once a week. That is the kind of definition that I've seen many times.

Five or six glasses of wine is what most adults would have at a good dinner party. Paced over an evening it won't even give you a blood alcohol level sufficient for you to have to catch a taxi home (unless you're very small; there's a difference between a 180-pound bloke like me and a tiny 105 pound girlie). Why should that sort of normal behaviour attract this pejorative term? I agree with you that the term has nothing to do with violence, but that's just the point. I have no objection to people having a few drinks, or even getting a bit drunk (and a bit is important if we're talking about only five or six drinks), unless they get violent, or try to drive when over the limit, or generally get so fucking pissed off their faces as to be generally a danger to themselves.

Yet this sort of normal, peaceful behaviour is categorised as a "problem". If it were redefined as twenty drinks, or something, I'd take a different view.

~ The Leopard ~
Apr 22nd, 2006, 07:43 AM
By the way, I agree with the article that I provided a URL for that the drinking age of 21 in the US is ridiculous. My only objection is to its use of that ridiculous (but common) definition of "binge drinking".

CooCooCachoo
Apr 22nd, 2006, 08:05 AM
I don't do it.

In all honesty, these kind of polls are not the best foundation for uni research, considering the idiotic responses you will get from some posters.

Xanadu11
Apr 22nd, 2006, 08:36 AM
I do not engage in binge drinking. I'm yet to discover what just is so great about drinking. It just doesn't do anything for me.

No Name Face
Apr 22nd, 2006, 09:01 AM
i answered honestly. so hopefully you'll take mine at face value. :)

James
Apr 22nd, 2006, 09:30 AM
I have the occasional drink, but I never have understood the joys of getting completely drunk one night and hanging over the toilet bowl the day after.

James
Apr 22nd, 2006, 09:32 AM
On top of that, I don't get people answering it's fashionable or to do it cause they want to fit in. Are they really your friends if they force you to do something you do not want to do? For the fashionable people I hope suicide is not the next rage this summer.

smiler
Apr 22nd, 2006, 10:15 AM
Doing research currently for a Uni assignment so if you do Binge drink, explain why, you can vote in more than one of the categories...
None of those options, the only reason I do it, is because it's fun & I have a good time. The reason I don't do it more often is, it's expensive, it makes you fat, and I get bad hangovers.

Vacant
Apr 22nd, 2006, 10:18 AM
It makes me more confident and more able to approach people.

Solitaire
Apr 22nd, 2006, 11:14 AM
I do binge drink and so do all my friends. :lol: It's something to do and fun. You just need to know what ur limit is.

Joana
Apr 22nd, 2006, 11:21 AM
Those few times I did it I ended up acting like an idiot and feeling sick to my shoes the next day. So no, thanks.

gentenaire
Apr 22nd, 2006, 11:22 AM
Well, take this - http://www.indiana.edu/~engs/articles/cqoped.html - for example. It defines binge drinking as something like having at least five drinks at least once a week. That is the kind of definition that I've seen many times.

Five or six glasses of wine is what most adults would have at a good dinner party. Paced over an evening it won't even give you a blood alcohol level sufficient for you to have to catch a taxi home (unless you're very small; there's a difference between a 180-pound bloke like me and a tiny 105 pound girlie). Why should that sort of normal behaviour attract this pejorative term? I agree with you that the term has nothing to do with violence, but that's just the point. I have no objection to people having a few drinks, or even getting a bit drunk (and a bit is important if we're talking about only five or six drinks), unless they get violent, or try to drive when over the limit, or generally get so fucking pissed off their faces as to be generally a danger to themselves.

Yet this sort of normal, peaceful behaviour is categorised as a "problem". If it were redefined as twenty drinks, or something, I'd take a different view.

I agree that that's not binge drinking. But I'm fairly confident most people see it that way. To me, and I suppose to most people, it's like Drake said: drinking with the intention of getting drunk. Some people are drunk after 5 glasses, others after 20.

I love drinking a good glass of wine or beer, chatting with friends, dancing, having a good time. I love it when everyone's loosened up a little.
I hate drunks however. I'm so glad we don't have a binge drinking culture, because I can't stand drunks and I don't see what's fun about being drunk and hungover the next morning. When people are drunk, they often become whiny, clingy and terribly annoying.

The day before my sister's wedding, we all danced on the town's square, deep into the night. We had a few beers, the weather was great, the company was great...but none of us were drunk. We could all drive home safely, we knew what we were doing, we weren't hungover the next morning. The Australian relatives of my BIL were looking at it all wistfully, wondering why it was never like that in Australia. They said that in Australia, everyone would have been drunk. I think that's quite sad. My sister studied in Cambridge for a year. Before she left, she was convinced she'd stay in England and look for a job there. However she got so fed up with the binge drinking culture there (and a few other things, but it was mainly the binge drinking and the girls who were terribly 'easy') that she left the UK right after graduating. Suddenly, Belgium didn't seem so bad anymore.

I'm also convinced there's a link between strict alcohol laws and binge drinking. The stricter the laws, the less likely kids know how to deal with alcohol.
Even as a kid, we drank beer with our dinner. The French and Italians all learn to drink wine from a relatively early age. It's not a coincidence that those countries don't have a binge drinking culture.

Dahveed
Apr 22nd, 2006, 11:39 AM
Even as a kid, we drank beer with our dinner. The French and Italians all learn to drink wine from a relatively early age. It's not a coincidence that those countries don't have a binge drinking culture.

Indeed.

Even though - I don't know if it was just me - in France, i was not allowed to drink alcohol before i reached 18. Even nowadays my father cringes when i'm having a glass of champagne ;) but maybe that's just in my family! But i had my first alcohol drink at 15 and was quite respectful ot 'the rules', never got drunk before 20 :o never had a binge drinking culture in France but now that i live in the UK it's another story :p

smiler
Apr 22nd, 2006, 12:00 PM
I dont' really see why binge drinking is viewed as such a bad thing. I do it (although not very often anymore mostly because i'm so skint) but seriously, it has never caused a problem in my life, I've never been in trouble with the law, I've never been in a fight, I've never caused any harm to anyone. For me all it's about is a good time.

People simply need to know when to stop, it's as easy as that. Also people need to know what drinks have what effects on them, for example although I enjoy a quiet pint sometimes, I couldn't binge on beer because I get depressed. For me vodca and sambuca are happy fun drinks.

It's such a shame that people don't know when to stop and end up causing trouble because it gives all of us binge drinkers a bad name.

~ The Leopard ~
Apr 22nd, 2006, 12:09 PM
I agree that that's not binge drinking. But I'm fairly confident most people see it that way. To me, and I suppose to most people, it's like Drake said: drinking with the intention of getting drunk.

The trouble is that the sort of definition I quoted is one that is so often used. I see newspapers all the time quoting social workers, etc., who use that sort of definition. That is why I supported Becca in asking about what the definition was. It worries me that a term which has certain connotations for "most people" - i.e. drinking for the purpose of getting off your face - is then formally redefined for some academic purpose, or whatever, as meaning having at least five glasses of alcohol at least once a week. Every time I see that definition I get annoyed at the hypocritical academic or journalist who wrote it - hypocritical because academics and journalists like a few drinks as much as anyone.

I absolutely agree with you about the need to introduce alcohol to kids in civilised way at an early age, but I should add that I live in Australia and I seldom encounter people in my group getting really drunk. I won't say I've never got pissed as a newt myself :) , but pretty damn seldom (and over more years than I care to admit). Most people I know just do what you described - have a few glasses of beer or wine to loosen up at a social occasion. Your Aussie friends and I must move in different circles. :D :angel:

Anyway, we'll await the answer to Becca's question. Maybe a sensible definition is being used by Spikey's teachers.

Craigy
Apr 22nd, 2006, 12:16 PM
I don't binge drink, I drink in sensible amounts :) Even if I shouldn't be drinking...
I haven't had an alcoholic beverage in about 2 months :angel:

mandy7
Apr 22nd, 2006, 01:04 PM
well, it was my best friend's b-day last week
got totally smashed
felt fine the next day though :D

but usualy, i'm the driver
and since my problems with alcohol as a teenager
i'm more responsible now
so i don't drink too often
besides the ocasional beer or wine when i have some guests over of course

so uhm, is that an option in the poll? :scratch:

Beefy
Apr 22nd, 2006, 01:07 PM
I do it, but I don't go out that much, so I catch up for months worth of drinking, and also I have a problem. But it takes my mind off things

RJWCapriati
Apr 22nd, 2006, 02:09 PM
I don't drink at all

Reuchlin
Apr 22nd, 2006, 04:15 PM
I had a couple of bad experiences...and stopped drinking all together (minus wine with dinner).

LH2HBH
Apr 22nd, 2006, 04:30 PM
It get dressed up as hot as I can get, and can go to a club and be obnoxious for 4 hours. It's very therapeutic.